Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

forty 

maheun





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

    “Where is Cheol-su?”      

    “He’s in the medical ward.” 

    “Ah…”

    “He requested the medical examiner to examine Jae-hwa.” Hae’s lips were pinched and her arms crossed. 

    “That sneaky bitch. How dare she…”

    “It is expected of her.” Her reply. 

    “And to think that the king actually agreed to go along with her little scheme.”

    “It wouldn’t be the first time. He did conspire with her to sell me into slavery. This isn’t beneath him.” Furious, Hae hissed and grabbed her arm, pulling her close. 

    “To think that you have less than a week left. How could wangja-nim agree to this?!”

    “He hasn’t agreed to anything.”

    “And yet he will allow you to be taken away from him.” She clucked her tongue. 

    “Come now Hae-ah. You know that my husband has a plan.” That seemed to calm her emotions and she bit the inside of her cheek before revealing a smile. 

    “Indeed dearest. I know he does.” 

    “Let’s go find Anat. Knowing her, she’s somewhere spying on Young-ho.”

    “That boy student you like so much?”

    “She’s taken a real liking to him. She’d never admit it but she really fancies him.”

    “And he? I thought he had the hots for you and you alone.” Tiye snort and rolled her eyes as they rounded the corner. The sound of laughter soon met the wind. 

 

 

*** 

 

 

 

    He hadn’t moved. He had stood against the wall adjacent the medic tent for going on forty minutes straight and his legs had not even tired in the slightest. Some of the female attendants gawked at him, others stole glances at him in passing. It had been a long time since he’d been in this sector. This time was even more important that the first, as the lives of both he and the women he was in company with hung in the balance. 

    “Pyeha…” 

    “What is it?”

    “Would you like to come in?”

    “No.” The girl appeared shocked at his answer but continued anyway. 

    “I…I think that it’s best if you do pyeha.” At that, his jaw clenched and soon left the gawking and prying curious eyes. Fury licked his neck taking in Jae-hwa as she laid on the table. Legs wide open, she left nothing to be covered and at a clearing of the throat, lifted her head. 

    “Oh….Cheol-su-ah…” Cheeks growing pink, she slowly closed her legs and lifted to sit on the edge of the bed. His gaze was empty, eyes not paying much attention to her naked body as she stood, helped into a clean pair of dari-sokgot. Eyes fell to her stomach which showed no change. He slid his eyes away from her as the remaining sok-got was placed on her and they began to help close and fashion her hanbok. 

    “What is the verdict?” He asked, voice quiet and low. The midwife came forward, hands pressed against her stomach. She bowed her head before him. 

    “After the examination we performed, it is clear to us that she is indeed with child.” The news made him stiff and he clenched his fists. 

    “How far along is she?”

    “It is yet too early to tell but from her reporting vomiting in the early morning and fatigue it can be deduced that she is approximately around 4 to 6 weeks.” 

    “Four to six weeks…” He repeated, eyes finding her. 

    “Yes pyeha.” 

    “How funny. Just under a month ago we were fighting the hardest battle of our lives and yet you’ve…miraculously conceived.” 

    “You must not remember the few nights I happened by your chamber pyeha. You were intoxicated.” His lips sneered to reply but with a deep breath, he relaxed his mouth. His hands… everything. 

    “Thank you for the report.” 

    “Of course pyeha.” Turning on his heel, he left the smiling woman behind in favor of the library. He had a massive headache already and only books…only quiet would soothe it all. 

 

*** 

 

    “She’s with child.” That brought a halt to her movements and she swallowed thickly.

    “Is that so?”

    “Yes. I heard it from one of the girls who examined her.”

    “I see.”

    “Tiye-”

    “It’s not his.” She spoke matter-of-factly, resuming her folding. It was so quiet that she could hear Hae swallow. 

    “You are aware that they…had relations before yes?”

    “Yes. Just as I am aware that since Cheol-su and I stepped foot back into this country the only woman who has taken him to bed every night has been me.” Hae reached for her hand, pausing her folding of his silks. 

    “Forgive my prying. It is not my intention to upset you. Nor is it to doubt him.” Smiling, she tightened her grip on her hand. 

    “You could never upset me.” Breathing a sigh of relief, the older woman pressed a kiss to her brow. 

    “You’re a strong woman. A beautiful and strong woman Tiye.” She let go of her hand and soon left her in silence and quiet. Her hands began to fold once more. The stillness of the room captured one word.. spoken softly and yet spoken with such viciousness. 

    “Bitch.” 

 

 

*** 

 

 

    The waves lapped at the shores of her homeland and she stood in the distance, bathed in the ever waking sun. The sky shades of dusty pink and orange, the clouds yet to take shape with their fluffy white translucence. She closed her eyes and sighed, breathing in the air. Fingers took hold of her braids and at once she opened her eyes and turned to see her mother standing there, eyes gentle and yet old beyond her years. 

    “Mama…” 

    “My child. I thought you forgot about me.”

    “I’d never forget you mama. Don’t say things like that.” The woman laughed, voice pleasantly raspy with humor. 

    “I tease daughter. Only I tease.” 

    “I don’t find it humorous.” The woman let go of her braids and took her hand. Together they approached the sea and sat down at her shores, feet covered in thick sand. Those eyes of hers watched her, observed her as she watched the waves crash against the banks. 

    “My dearest daughter…” At that her eyes found hers. 

    “You are changing.” Her eyebrows knit. 

    “Changing? How?” The woman only smiled and watched as she turned her gaze back towards the sea. Deep brown eyes took in her shoulders, her breasts. They remained the longest on her stomach. 

    “Are you well my child?” Suddenly, her expression of tranquility had been disturbed and she appeared sick. 

    “It’s…the smell Mama…”

    “The smell child?”

    “Of the sea…it’s…it’s bothering me all of a sudden.” 

    “Oh?” Her nose scrunched up and the woman sat quietly as the younger suddenly turned and emptied her stomach there on the banks. She couldn’t help it nor could she stop it as another wave of nausea hit her and she retched once more before coughing. A gentle hand pressed against her back and as she tried to breathe in through the mouth, long shaky strings of vomit tinged saliva oozed out from her lips. 

    “M-Mama….” 

    “Breathe dear one. It’s alright.” The poor girl began to tremble and shake and tears came to her eyes. 

    “What’s….what’s happening to me…I don’t understand.” Pulling her upright, she lifted a banana leaf to her mouth, wiping away the evidence of her sickness. Wrapping arms around her, she hugged her to her breast. She folded into the embrace of her mother, a soft hum carried a song of her childhood to her ears. 

    “Tiye.”

    “Hm?” Already she had grown so sleepy, so calm and at peace. 

    “You’re with child.” 

 

 

*** 

 

    She shot up, gasping for air. Eyes wide, she reached up to touch her mouth only to find it dry. Her skin was wet with sweat, the tell tail signs of a visitation. 

    “Breathe my love…” The touch of her husband calmed her, his warm and gentle strokes to her back slowed her breathing, her eyes closing against his chest. 

    “That’s my girl. Breathe…” She cuddled closer against him as he pulled her down to lay; as close as their bodies would allow. In his embrace sleep found her rest again. 

    When the morning light awakened her, she found him gone. Curling up fingers in the furs, she pressed her nose against the warmth and his clean masculine scent. Lifting, she began to dress when she heard a brief knock at the door. 

    “Anat?”

    “Yes Sister.”

    “Come in.” The door slid open and Anat greeted her warmly with a hug. 

    “Let me help you.” Smiling, she helped her close the jeogori and attempted to tie it closed. Pleased at her efforts, she took hold of her nose between her index and middle finger gently. 

    “My, look at you. Making an effort hm?” At her light teasing, the woman blushed and avert her gaze. 

    “Sister Tiye, it is my job.” Kissing her cheek, she stood. 

    “Where is Brother Sekhemrekhutawy?” Her question made her smile. 

    “Busy somewhere I am sure.” 

    “Hm.”

    “And we should have started packing well before now.” Annoyance flushed Anat’s face and she sucked her teeth. 

    “Why must we pack? Is this not your home Sister Tiye?” 

    “I know.”

    “They treat you as though you are a loose woman. Do they not know that you are rightfully Brother Sekhemrekhutawy’s wife? Do they not know that he is the one you chose to be King of Kush?” 

    “I chose him and so did Kush. The same cannot be said of Goryeo.” 

    “Had Queen Mother known this she would never have allowed you two to wed. How they treat you!” 

    “Be calm Sister.” She bit her lip but refrained from saying anything else. 

    “Whether or not Goryeo has chosen me matters not to me. Her King has wed me and chosen me to be his Queen. That is what matters.” Taking her braids, Anat knelt to retrieve some of the scented wax dressing from one of her favorite hair jars. Smoothing the mixture into her hair, she sighed in contentment as her fingers pressed and rubbed the oils into her scalp. 

    “It will be time to wash your hair soon Sister Tiye.”

    “Mm… yes I trust that you will-” Anat froze as the woman suddenly pulled away from her and began to vomit, barely making it away from her feet. 

    “Tiye? Tiye!” Turning on her feet, she left the retching woman in search of help. Some of the female attendants rushed in to her aid, others calling for the doctor. 

    “Someone summon the prince!” Through all of the commotion, dizziness overtook her and she fainted thereafter. 

 

*** 

 

    “Pyeha!” Lifting his eyes up from his book, he didn’t bother sparing the annoyance on his face at being disturbed. 

    “What.” He answered flatly, wishing that the man would hurry up. 

    “It’s Lady Tiye.” Putting the book down, worry began to replace the annoyance and at once he stood. 

    “What’s wrong?”

    “She fainted in the royal chambers pyeha.” At once he took off, not allowing the man to share anything else. Running as fast as he could, his chest burned with fire as he approached his chambers. At the sight of the many maids, he hastily pushed past them and pried open the doors. There the shaman and doctors circled around her. 

    “What happened?” He demanded, breath returning in short pants. 

    “She fainted pyeha.” Swallowing, he fell to his knees, taking her hand. 

    “Is she not well? What’s wrong with her?” The doctors glanced at the midwives and for a moment they were silent. 

    “I asked you a question.” He lifted his eyes, his gaze steely. 

    “It’s… it’s all right my love.” They dropped and met hers. She smiled softly and tried to sit up. 

    “Tiye…”

    “I’ve just been under stress is all pyeha. Please don’t worry.” 

    “She’s been feeling….quite tired as of late pyeha. The upcoming trip has worried her.” Swallowing thickly, he lifted a hand to her cheek. 

    “Exhaustion.”

    “Yes.”

    “The upcoming trip has worried you.” 

    “Just a tad yes.” Opening his eyes, he made her look at him, eyes searching hers. When he was satisfied, he let her go and pressed a kiss to her forehead. 

    “Very well then. Perhaps you should stay inside today.” 

    “No.. really…I’m fine.” With a sigh, he let her go and helped her stand. Pressing a kiss to her nose, he inhaled deeply before letting her go. 

    “I’ll help her continue to pack your Majesty.” Lifting a hand to brush Anat’s braids lovingly, he gave a nod. 

 

    Soon everyone cleared out of the room. Everyone but the two women. Clearing her throat, she lifted some water to her mouth and swished, taking with it the horrid taste of the vomit. Spitting into a small canister, she licked her teeth and gave a smile to Anat, who looked worried. 

    “Come now Anat, I am fine.”  Her friend did not look convinced but nevertheless she resumed helping her with her hair, the dressing untouched in favor of another… one more agreeable to her nose and one never opened before. Once her hair had been tended to, the two of them began to gather together belongings. 

 

*** 

 

 

    The remainder of the week flew by and with it came the time to bid the Royal Concubine farewell. It had taken nearly thirty maids to help her pack up her quiet esteemed chambers and place everything inside palanquins. Members of her Kushite guard stood by, waiting to escort her. Members of the Goryeo army also stood by. 

    “Tiye….” Arms covered her and she smiled against the woman she loved like a blood sister. 

    “I’ll be back Hae. Don’t worry.” 

    “But…”

    “My chambers will be open for you any time. If any of the girls wish to visit please don’t hesitate to bring them along.” Swallowing tears, the woman gave a single nod and pressed kisses to her cheeks. 

    “I’ll see you soon dearest friend.”

    “Soon.” She promised, squeezing her hands. 

    “My Lady, it is time to embark on our journey.” Nodding at one of her kinsmen, she turned to look at her husband who stood in front of the open door as if to prevent her from going. Licking her teeth, she slowly approached him. 

    “Remember what I told you menre.” 

    “When I figure out what is going on, I will send for you to return to me at once.” The members of court eyed them in confusion at the foreign tongue they both spake. 

    “It won’t be long then.”

    “Not at all.” 

    “Good. My bed will be lonely without you.” At that, his mood soured even more and he frowned deeper than before. 

    “When I can, I will visit you.”

    “I know.” To the surprised shock of the ladies and men of court, he pulled her close and kissed her. They gawked at them, whispers already starting. 

    “I will send Young-ho to protect you. He will arrive later this evening.” He whispered against her mouth. Nodding, he lifted hands to caress her face. Pressing a kiss to her forehead, he pulled her against him in a hug. 

    “You act like you’re never going to see her again. Give me a break.” She felt him grow stiff and lifted fingers up to finger the floral pattern of his jeogori. 

    “How handsome. Did you wish to impress me on my departure?” 

    “Perhaps.”

    “I like this one.” A sage green jeogori covered him, a delicate pink floral pattern sowed all throughout. A cream sleeveless po traveled down the long length of his body, closed with a black cord. 

    “When you visit me, make sure you wear this exact one so I can take my time removing it.” He licked his lips and smirked. 

    “As you wish gongju-nim.” Smirking at him in return, she let her hand trail down his chest before she was helped into the palanquin. With a sharp crack of the reins, the caravan was off. He remained there, eyes watching until the very last of it left his sight. Turning on his heel, he began to head straight for Jae-hwa’s chambers. 

 

    *** 

 

    At news of his arrival, she hurried her maids to make herself presentable and soon met him in the sitting room. Her breath caught in her throat at how incredibly handsome he was sitting there at her table. Licking her teeth, she cleared her throat, signaling her arrival. He didn’t look up or turn his head and she sneered. Stubborn as always. 

    “What do I owe the pleasure of this meeting?” Still, no reply or any such movement. 

    “Cheol-”

    “I will uncover your plan.” She blinked as he finally graced her with his eyes and oh how they burned. 

    “What plan?” He didn’t answer, simply drifted them down to her stomach. 

    “You think I made this up? I assure you I did not mislead you. I am indeed with child.” 

    “Yet it is not mine.” He lifted a cup of rice wine to his mouth. 

    “You cannot possibly be sure of that Cheol-su.”

    “Of one thing I am most definitely certain. I have not touched you since we were but children trying to please our respective parties.” 

    “Is that what you’re calling it?”

    “Have you told Seo Jun?” She grew still and swallowed. 

    “There are those here in the palace who know. They know of your rendezvous with my brother. They’ve heard the two of you and they have in fact kept record of each and every time he spilled that weak watery disgrace for lifeblood inside you.” She grew even paler and her lips began to pinch together. 

    “Where you couldn’t find it with me you surely found it with him.”

    “If it had of been you alone I wouldn’t have ever had a need to go to him.” 

    “But you did have me. Don’t you remember?” Swallowing, she turned to face the window. 

    “You had me and you used me. Time and time again you took and took and took until you had almost suffocated the life from me.”

    “I wanted the life you could have freely given me.”

    “It never was about that, was it. It was never about love. What mattered to you was ownership. To say that you owned the future King of Goryeo, your maternal first cousin. Promised to him from a young age…how proud you were to declare that you would keep the bloodline pure.” 

    “Cheol-su…”

    “You never held me in any such regard. At any point did you ever consider what I felt and what I didn’t.” She gripped her fingers together as she heard him approach her. 

    “You wanted to satisfy the burning need of the hole in between your legs and used me. Each and every night you took enjoyment in raping me.” Turning, she lifted a hand and slapped him. 

    “How dare you.” 

    “That is why you will never lay a finger on the crown.” 

    “It’s sad that it took me being with a child to finally get you to see reason.”

    “Reason?” He laughed mirthlessly. 

    “Reason convinced you to do this. Am I right?”

    “You were drunk Cheol-su…”

    “I NEVER FUCKING TOUCHED YOU.” He hissed, backing her against the open window. 

    “You know as well as I do that the being inside you came from Seo Jun.”

    “No…”

    “Does he know he is to be a father?”

    “It’s no concern of his.”

    “You’re just alike. The two of you.”

    “Cheol-su…”

    “Lying slut…” He took hold of her throat, forcing her to embed her nails into his forearm. 

    “I will expose you and that perverted fuck of a brother. Mark my words Kim Jae-hwa.” Shoving her away from him, he smoothed his hanbok and left just as quietly as he’d entered. 






Chapter End Notes:

 

 

A/N: WHEW! A LOT OF JUICY BITS THIS CHAPTER hehehe. Whew so Jae-hwa being her grimy scheming self as usual (really ma'am... you really tryna trap him with a baby though like... sit downnnnnnnn), Tiye is PREGNANT Y'ALLLLLLLL. UGH listen lol. I literallyhad tears writing her lil symptoms and the dream with Queen Mama. The moment we've (me included let's not kid) been waiting for hehe. OUR BABY PREGNANT *sniffs* I'm just done with the whole yeah we gon manipulate you into marrying this scheming woman just cause she say you the father of her child. CAN WE GIVE A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR WANG MISHIL PLEASE. SHE IS THE NEWEST MVP. LITERALLY NOT THE WAY I INTENDED TO WRITE HER BUT I AM NOT COMPLAINING LOL. She has ZERO (0) BEEPS TO GIVE AND IT SHOWSSSSSS. Whewwwwwwww she the mvp of the year possibly. UGH. 

Also, I am not down with the king sending our girl to a whole nother palace just because he don't want her around Jae-hwa. I got things I wanna say but I'm not cause they not nice. He's... a JEEEERRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. 

Okay guys, I love you hehe. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed the chapters. I will update again soon. 

God bless! 

DL~

 

 

Cheol-su's fit in the chapter:







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.