Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader:Jsilver2000

Summary: Tennessee has been given the opportunity to sing a duet with Nyota and has his own personal agenda to get close to her. Kirk's jealousy of Tennessee continued to brew. Nyota thought about the song she had chosen for Talent Night: It was made for them! If Spock only understood how romantic the song really was...Would he understand?

Spock was struggling with the song, envisioning Nyota and Tennessse singing to each other. He found himself wondering whether Tennessee's "bedroom eyes" and voice that someone described as 'warm honey' could really take Nyota away from him? Let's hope that Spock finds the answer to his question.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Spock looked at the music sheet and then at the door Nyota had just left through, wondering, What just happened? He read each line of each stanza, and his brow wrinkled, a frown forming on his face. He did not want his newfound jealousy to cause friction just when they had made up. Spock heaved a deep sigh, placed the Padd on his desk, and gathered his fire pot and incense in order to meditate on his new problem.


The next day, in his quarters after duty, Tennessee looked at his Padd and glanced at the song. He was stunned that the song was so romantic. It suited them; his heart leaped with joy, thinking Nyota had come around and might welcome his attention. Tennessee sat down and hummed the song, closing his eyes, and imagining that the song was about them. He, too, had never done a duet, but he had sung with his brothers when they would joke around and stuff. But a love song about someone in whom he was interested was what he was looking for. He checked the time; it was almost time for their first rehearsal. Nyota had suggested that they start a cappella first, to find the tone and sync in singing, and then add the instrumental accompaniment later, after they were on the same page. Tennessee gathered his Padd and headed toward the rehearsal spot on the lower deck. The ship had a theater with a stage, not a big one, but one large enough to handle simple plays and small concerts. It also had video monitors that would broadcast the talent show throughout the ship. That made him feel a bit uneasy, wondering if the women he wasn't interested in would become even more of a problem after they heard him sing. He took a deep breath as he walked down the corridor when a woman wolf whistled at him and Tennessee thought to himself.

I hate the way women throw themselves at me. Totally unnecessary.


When the notice about who was going to perform was posted, the crew gossip machine went into overdrive.

First woman: "OMG! Can you believe it?"

Second woman: "What?"

First woman: Williams and Uhura are singing together!"

Second woman [mouth open and wearing a stunned look]: "Wow, I'm surprised, but I shouldn't be."

First woman: "Why? Didn't you hear? Tennessee can sing, I mean really sing. His voice melts your clothes off."

Second woman [chuckling]: "Everyone knows Tennessee is a looker, a dreamboat, and has those 'bedroom eyes'! But the fact is, he is finally hooking up with Uhura!"

First woman [with a deep sigh]: "Yeah, I know what you mean; Uhura has personality and looks."

Second woman: "Not even Felicia or Evers could get next to him, but Uhura?! Now she's always had the men drooling over her."

First woman: "Yeah, that's true, but you never see her with any date or showing any interest. So?"

Second woman: "So, no one, and I mean no one, can compete with Uhura; if those two are dating, they would make the perfect couple."


First man: "I don't believe it! I just don't believe that Uhura would break my heart and sing with that guy!"

Second man: "It's true! They're doing a duet and I heard it's a love song. I bet they'll sing to each other."

Third man: "Lucky bas**rd! He has all the luck-he can sing to any woman on the ship and get the goods too!"

First man [throwing his arms up in exasperation]: "I have never been so jealous of anyone as I am of that dude. Mr. Bedroom Eyes! I mean, he has the first choice of any woman on this ship, and he went for the cream of the crop. Uhura! Uhura!"

Third man: "I guess that means Uhura is off-limits. Do you know how many guys have been dying to date that woman?"

Second man: "Countless! Oh well, the best man won. Now we can only look forward to the talent show. I bet anyone and everyone will be wanting to sit up close for their performance."

First man: "This is going to be great! I know Uhura sings like a bird, so the two of them together must be something special."


Commander Spock was completing his rounds of the ship when he entered the Science department, unnoticed by the crew standing there conversing.

First woman: "Is it really true?"

First man: "It sure is. I heard that Uhura is not only dating Williams but singing with him in the talent show too. It's posted on the roster."

Second man: "Ms. Uhura is some woman. I did hear that they were dancing the other night, so it must be true!"

First woman [sighing]: "Wow! They make the perfect couple; how romantic?!"

Second man: "She is a beautiful, talented woman. I've seen her sing several times in the break room." Then he happened to notice Commander Spock and alerted the others.

"Oh, good afternoon, Commander. Do you need something, sir?"

Spock had heard everything the crewmen had said, and it added more fuel to his agony. The crew thinks my woman, my bandmate, is dating Williams! This thought just added more fuel to his jealousy and his frustration about TRUST!

"I am here to check the status of your's team's report on the survey expedition to planet Morpheus two days ago."

The science team scurried to get their Padds and provide updates to their commander.

"The reports are almost complete, sir; we are still calculating our last figures."

The first man handed over his Padd for Mr. Spock to inspect, and Spock quickly read over his report and handed back his Padd.

"Continue on, crewmen."

Spock turned and left the Science department, the Vulcan struggling to control the emotions that threatened to overwhelm him in response to this rumor about Nyota and Williams. His thoughts kept racing:

Trust.

Trust

Bedroom eyes.

Spock walked back to the bridge, oblivious of his surroundings, his torment growing with each step.


Meanwhile down in the theater, Nyota and Williams met for their first a ccapella rehearsal.

"Hello, Nyota, are you ready?"

"Hey, Tennesse! Yes I am."

Tennessee stood in front of her, beaming down into her dark brown eyes and giving her his best smile. Nyota looked into those green, seductive eyes. If I weren't head-over-heels for my ever-loving Vulcan, Tennessee would be my second choice. His eyes do melt a woman's heart!

"I read the song you picked out. Wow! It's really deep with feelings and meant for true lovers."

"I know. I am an old romantic at heart; it has a message. And it means something to me."

"Really?" Tennessee takes a step closer to her.

"Let's do some warm-up first, Tennessee."

Both of them did voice scales and all sorts of vocal practice to get ready. Then they started the song. Nyota heard Tennessee's deep rich voice blend with hers; she could tell he was putting his heart into it.

It's good to sing from your heart; she thought.

Tennessee heard the sweetest voice come from Nyota. Light, seductive, and with a touch of jazz. Their voices started to blend, the song's meaning playing out almost dramatically. They practiced for another hour and made plans for the next rehearsal.

"I think we're ready to have the instruments, don't you think?"

"Yes, Nyota. You sing... your singing is wonderful!"

"Thank you, Tennessee! So is yours. Now that we are a team, we can sing more duets."

"That sounds... nice; I would like that."

"I will contact the musicians for our next rehearsal. I hope we can get them all together at once. I know they have duty."

"Sounds like a plan. I hope you and I can do more than... sing, Nyota."

Nyota looked at Williams and saw him pouring on the charm for her. She had enough experience to deflect any kind of advance.

"Down ,Tennessee! We are just singing," Nyota chuckled. "I'll see you later."

Tennessee took a deep breath. "Ok, Nyota. See you later.

Tennessee felt defeat at his first to attempt to take things further with Nyota.

It was early evening (1900 hours), and Nyota had plans for the evening. First, to take a long hot shower and then to read a nice book on her Padd. When she entered her quarters, she found Charlene there with a look of concern on her face.

"Char, what's up?"

"Where have you been?"

"Practicing with Tennessee; why?"

"It's all over the ship."

"What's all over the ship?"

"Everyone is saying that Tennessee and you are an item-that you two are practically lovers."

Charlene crossed her arms over her chest and gave Nyota a look of concern.

Nyota dropped her Padd, her mouth opening in shock. She put a hand over her mouth.

"Oh no! I wonder if Spock has heard this."












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.