Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: Jsilver2000

 

 

 

Summary: A reality check hit Tennessee when Nyota explained that she was unavailable for dating, and he has decided to try to maintain a friendship. Somehow Nyota avoided the question of whether she was involved with someone.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The musicians came to practice the song with Tennessee and Nyota. Spock stood in the back with his lyre and observed the group. Nyota directed the musicians to play the song first to harmonize the instruments.

Nyota was grateful that they had been practicing the music; it didn't take long for them to blend their sound.

It's perfect, Nyota thought.

As Spock strummed his lyre, he watched the singers and the other musicians. He had mastered the music days ago; he was waiting for the other musicians to time in. After the musicians had run through the song three times, it was time for the vocals to blend in.

Spock started the song with a slow tempo. He heard Tennessee's rich, deep voice as he sung his first solo part, which was followed by Nyota's angelic voice. The two singers took turns, each singing a verse and the other singing one in reply. They sang the chorus that emphasize the love. Then they blended together again at the bridge. Spock watched and listened; the pair sounded like true lovers.

After the practice, Tennessee and Nyota were talking about their performance. As Spock watched, Tennessee placed his hand on the small of Nyota's back, Spock's eyebrow rose, and his hand involuntarily plucked a sour note that distracted Tennessee, who moved his hand away. He fought the anger that swept over him; Do not touch MY MATE!

Everyone turned to see where the sour note came from. Tennessee smiled and approached the commander.

"Mr. Spock! I am amazed by your many talents. I've heard that you are the best chess player, and now this!" Tennessee points to Spock's lyre.

"May I ask what kind of instrument this is?"

Spock sat up straight and looked hard at Tennessee. He did not like that 'Bedroom Eyes' was so familiar with Nyota, or the fact that he had touched her.

"This is called a Ka'athyra; it is one of Vulcan's stringed instruments. It is also the most difficult to acquire and learn. Ms. Uhura is one of the few humans that have mastered such an instrument."

Tennessee was astonished and turned to Nyota:

"Nyota! You can play an instrument like this?"

"Yes. Once in a while Mr. Spock and I will entertain the crew in the rec room."

"Wow, this is great! I am interested in learning. I like how it sounds, so majestic!"

Nyota laughs, "It calls for a lot of patience and you need a custom-designed lyre."

Spock did not want to lose his patience or his self-control, so he excused himself.

"I shall return to my quarters and will be at the theater at the appointed time for your duet-unless you need my services, Ms. Uhura?"

Nyota looked at Spock and saw that he somewhat agitated, but she didn't understand the source of his distress. Did I miss something?

"Thank you, Mr. Spock. I will let you and the other musicians know if we need more practice."

With that, Spock turned to pack up his lyre and left without turning back. He did not want to draw attention or give Nyota concerns about his reaction to Tennessee.

 


 

The talent show was just a couple of days away. The crew was excited, anticipating the chance to see the performers' skills and talents. The monthly shows lifted everyone's spirits and were one of the biggest morale builders on the ship. The news of Nyota and Tennessee's duet and their so-called romance was the hottest topic among the crew. Neither Nyota nor Tennessee bothered to correct the accusations; they just let it play out.

 


 

The rumors benefited Tennessee because the women crew members stopped following and throwing themselves at him. They didn't want tangle with Uhura, who might challenge or confront them.

They also helped Uhura; it kept the crewmen who admired her at bay, which was something that she had wanted from the beginning of her relationship with Spock. But Spock was still having issues with Tennessee trying to touch Nyota; these were due to his Vulcan instinct of possession.

Even Captain Kirk benefited from the false rumors about Nyota and Tennessee; women were attracted to him again. That gave Kirk more pep in his step and grin of satisfaction, but it still irked him that he was second-best compared to Tennessee. Despite that minor annoyance, Kirk was beside himself. He could hardly wait to see his talented crew on display. Kirk got a lot of his laughs at the shows. He and McCoy would quietly take potshots at the less talented; it was their form of release. But Kirk would congratulate each member of the crew for their performance.

Nyota met with Spock each night to reassure him about their relationship with cuddling and soft touches that would often ignite Spock's passion.

 


 

 

Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and McCoy were wrapping up their staff meeting. Kirk turned toward Spock with a sly smirk on his face.

"So Spock, how are the rehearsals going?"

"The rehearsals for the duet are on schedule, and I believe you will find it an excellent performance, Captain."

McCoy's eyebrows rose at Spock:

"Really? I don't know how you can take it?"

Kirk chimed in: "I don't know how you can stand it-some man singing a love song to YOUR woman?"

"I would have said no from the beginning, Mr. Spock," Scotty added.

Spock folded his arms over his chest, raising an eyebrow and refusing to engage in the conversation about his Nyota.

"Well, at least Mr. Spock has a love life; the rest of us have none," Scotty lamented.

McCoy jumped in: "Speak for yourself, Scotty! I'm involved with a sexy little number."

All three men turned to McCoy.

"Oh, please do tell, Bones," Kirk said grinning. "Is it Nurse Chapel or Nurse Running Deer?"

"Neither. I do know she makes a mean peach cobbler pie like my mama used to make," McCoy retorted, placing his hand over his heart.

"Well, who is it, Doctor?" Scotty asked.

"Why, Mr. Scott, she works in your department and she's a fine little filly."

"Masters?" a shocked Scotty asked.

"How long have you two been dating?" Kirk asked. "And how come I'm finding out only now? It's not fair!"

"You know how relationships take time and care. At least I don't have to worry about a man like Tennessee around my woman."

Scotty continued his speculations about Tennessee: "Mr. Spock, I dinnae get it; are ye not at all upset about Ms. Uhura singing this love song with Williams?"

"Gentlemen, my personal relationship with Ms. Uhura is not a topic of discussion. Please excuse me."

Spock strode from the briefing room, leaving Kirk, Scotty, and McCoy with stunned looks. Spock deliberately avoided any conversation about the performance. He had made a promise to honor Nyota's desire to sing the duet. It was just 2.673 days away, and then the event would be forgotten and life aboard the ship would return to normal.

 


 

 

The approach of the talent show's date made the performers jittery, while the crew was ecstatic with anticipation. Lt. Eve Brody from the quartermaster's office offered to make costumes for Nyota and Tennessee. Nyota was grateful and pleased that their clothes would coordinate. They did their last rehearsal the next day, and this time Tennessee kept his hands to himself, which avoided taxing Spock's Vulcan control.

 


 

 

Meanwhile in the rec room:

Four people are in conversation about Nyota and Tennessee's 'romance':

Becky Evers sighed deeply: "Uhura is one lucky woman.

Brent echoed her: "Williams is one lucky man."

Felicia snaps, "But it was obvious that Tennessee and Nyota would hook up; they are the best-looking people on the ship."

Kyle: "They may be dating, but not it's not just because of their looks."

Becky: "I will truly miss those green eyes; I mean he's SO sexy."

Brent and Kyle rolled their eyes in response.

"He's just a man like the rest of us," Kyle commented.

"Who just happens to be dating the most beautiful woman on the ship!" Brent replied, punctuating his statement with thumps on the table.

Felicia: "I bet when they do the duet, it's going to make them the perfect couple and the most popular."

Kyle: "Are you going to the performance? I heard all the seats in the theater are gone."

"I have a seat in the back," Becky said. "I want to hear them sing-I mean I want to hear Tennessee sing. I will never forget him and how he helped me up when I fell."

Kyle and Brent chuckled; they knew the story behind her accident.

Brent added: "The good thing is that it will be broadcast throughout the ship so everyone will get to hear them sing.

Felicia: "You are right about that; there's so much anticipation-it will be the highlight of the talent show."

"Well, I think it's all hype; I feel that Tennessee should be dating and singing to me!" Becky snarled.

The three of them looked at Becky Evers and saw the green-eyed monster on her face.

"OK... on that note, have a nice evening," Kyle said.

They all left the rec room, except for an upset Evers, who continued to brood.


After their shift on the bridge, Spock spent time with Nyota in her quarters, lying on her bed and cuddling. Nyota rested her head on Spock's chest and draped an arm around his waist. She could feel the excitement on the ship about the talent show. Everything was in place. Now she just needed to sing the song as they had practiced it. Nyota started to hum the tune. When Spock squeezed her shoulder, she looked up at him.

"Spock?"

"Yes, Ashilik?"

"Do you know why I'm singing this song?"

"You desire to perform a duet with Lt. Williams."

"That's part of it, but I mean do you know why I picked THIS song?"

"I have not surmised your reason for singing the amorous song."

To another available male that people say he has ‘Bedroom Eyes'!: Thought Spock.

Nyota sat up to look directly into his eyes.

"I did it for you."

Spock arched an eyebrow.

"Indeed?"

"It is my way of expressing my feelings for you publicly, but without anyone else knowing who I am singing to. I wanted to show my love for you through this song. But instead, I feel like it backfired."

Spock processed her declaration, realizing belatedly that humans have an innate need to display their affection toward significant others publicly. Because his Nyota had gone to such lengths to demonstrate her feelings, he was profoundly moved.

"I believe I understand, Nyota. I am grateful."

Nyota smiled, leaned forward, and gave him a deep, sizzling kiss.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.