Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

See the source imageBeta Reader: Jsilver2000

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Charlene was in Eve Brody's quarters trying to sleep, but her mind kept wandering back to the wild party. When she saw those so-called Blossom women pawing her man, she had lost it. Then she was relieved of duty because of the fight. She sighed deeply.

"It's going to work out, Char, once the air is cleared and you and Hikaru talk. Try to get some rest."

"I can't; those women are still playing in my head." She could still hear their awful giggling.

"Don't give up, Char! You have to believe you an Hikaru will work things out."

"Thanks, Eve! You and Ny are the best!"

Charlene thought about the journey her and 'Karu's romance had taken; she had dealt with jealousy, insecurity, prejudice, and bullying. "Relationships are hard work."

Charlene flipped on her side, hugging the pillow. She fell into a restless sleep on the extra cot.

 


Later on, Nyota reflected on the events of the previous night-a major disaster. She was blessed that her husband was understanding and didn't throw it in her face that she was a senior officer and the head of a department. His mild-mannered attitude made it worse. He said that I should have made a logical decision before taking physical action and that I need more meditation to curb unwarranted emotions. Once Nyota had explained the dynamics of the second bachelor party and the effects it would have on a woman's psychological mind, Spock understood the crisis between Masters and Sulu.

"We need to help them, Spock."

"We?"

"Yes, because even though there are good relationships on this ship, we are the only married couple on the ship, and we have to support them."

"I am not equipped to advise or instruct couples about their relationships."

"We can use our experience."

"Nyota, our experience is a private matter; to share details or discuss our relationship is not acceptable."

"Spock, look at this logically and go by your gut feelings. Come on! Let's talk to Charlene."

Nyota grabbed his arm and led him out of their suite.

"Nyota, I assure you I am not qualified to advise people about marriage."

Nyota was determined to fix Sulu and Charlene's relationship; Spock accompanied her reluctantly. They chimed Eve's door, and Charlene answered:

"Mr. Spock, Nyota! Hi!"

"Charlene, we are here to help you."

"You and Mr. Spock? You're here to help me?"

Spock turned to his wife with a puzzled look:

"I fail to understand my presence... Ms. Uhura."

Nyota gave Spock a sharp look: "I'm no longer a Miss!"

Spock sighed and tried again: "Lieuten..."

Nyota folded her arms:

"We are off duty!"

Spock couldn't find the appropriate title. He usually addressed her with endearments only in the privacy of their suite.

"S'chn T'gai Uhura Nyota..."

Charlene was puzzled: "What? What kind of name is that?"

Nyota raised a brow at Spock: "Seriously?" Then she looked at Charlene: "That's my married name."

"I am uncomfortable with using the familiar names that we use in private," Spock said.

" ‘Mrs. Spock' will do," Nyota said sarcastically. "But you are comfortable using the name ‘Jim' in public!"

Spock quickly corrected himself: "Nyota, how can I be service? I am not certified as a counselor in the area of human emotions."

"Spock, darling, you are going to go counsel Sulu about marriage while I talk to Charlene."

"Nyota, I do not have knowledge of or familiarity with the subject of human marriage."

"Spock, darling, we discussed this before, remember? WE are the only married couple."

Nyota held out two fingers toward him. Spock sighed deeply and touched hers.

"Go have a Vulcan-to-man talk with Sulu about marriage."

Spock reluctantly left to counsel Sulu.

Meanwhile, Nyota looked her best friend straight in the eye:

"Charlene, enough is enough! You two have to fix this! What do you want from Hikaru?"

"Nyota, do you think should I forgive him and get married?"

"You need to forgive 'Karu and yourself!"

"Myself?"

Yes! You've been holding Sulu to unrealistically high expectations, and that's not fair!"

Char looked confused: "What do you mean?"

With her hands on her hips, Ny gave her the truth: "I love you, girl, but you've kept Sulu on a short leash throughout the whole thing with Janice and now the bachelor party! When you think he goes too far, you yank on it, expecting him to get back in line."

Charlene's lips quivered as she considered Nyota's words:

"I didn't know I was doing that."

"You need to give him some slack; the man is trying really hard to win and keep you."

Sniffling loudly and shaking her head, Char said, "I'm so sorry; I hope I haven't lost him. Oh, Ny, I love him so much!"

"But, Char, it goes deeper than this. Think about where this is coming from. You have three big brothers who sheltered you, and when you finally got out on your own, you had no defenses."

Nyota folded her arms and continued: "Does this has to do with Jamaal? If so, then you made a big mistake. That man doesn't deserve your time or your heart!"

Char realized that she had not given her complete trust to 'Karu because of how Jamaal had behaved. A part of her was always expecting him to disappoint her. She hadn't realized how much it had affected their relationship, and she only now was beginning to understand that it wasn't fair to 'Karu.

Nyota pointed toward the door and gave Char a charge:

"Char-you need to pour your heart out to Sulu-and stop holding him to unreasonable expectations!"

 


Meanwhile, 'Karu was despondent over the whole situation. He worried that the second bachelor party had ruined his relationship with Char for good. He had gone through a lot to build their relationship, and now it looked like they would not be getting married. He did not know how he would handle it if it came to that.

Spock had been sent to counsel Sulu. He reluctantly stood in the corridor in front of Sulu's door, looking lost. He took a moment to get a grip on his emotions, and then he finally chimed Sulu's door. When it opened, Spock hesitated for a moment and then spoke:

"May I enter, Lieutenant Sulu?"

"Sure, Mr. Spock. Um, how can I help you?"

Spock stood tall and folded his hands behind him: "A Vulcan-to-man talk" reverberated in his thoughts:

"I believe you are need of my assistance concerning your relationship with Lieutenant Masters."

Sulu's eyes widened, while his mind processed what he had just heard:

"YOU want to help ME?!"

"It seems there has been miscommunication between Ms. Masters and yourself, Mr. Sulu. A dialogue is required if you wish to continue your relationship."

"You're suggesting I talk to Charlene? AGAIN?"

"Yes, to discuss your differences concerning the illegal bachelor party."

"I agree with you, Mr. Spock, but at this moment she refuses to talk with or see me."

"Nyo... I mean my wife is engaged with Ms. Masters at this moment, conversing about the situation."

"I don't know. Things don't look good; she moved out our suite, and she doesn't want to marry me."

"Mr. Sulu, when emotions are elevated, hasty decisions can be made that only make the situation worse."

"Tell me about it!"

"I am," Spock deadpanned.

"I mean, she's really upset! It's worse than the Janice incident."

"It is illogical to compare the situations. The concern at the moment is whether a wedding will take place."

"You're right, Mr. Spock. If we still love each other, we should talk things out and get married. Thank you, Sir!"

"Thanks is not necessary. It is my wife's... it is our hope that the two of you will come to terms with the situation."

Sulu looked at Spock and couldn't believe what was happening.

"Wow, Mr. Spock! Thanks again for the pep talk!"

"I will paraphrase statements that I often hear from Dr. McCoy: ‘I'm a scientist, not a marriage counselor'."

Sulu rolled his eyes and laughed.

 


Charlene and Hikaru met in their suite:

'Karu had thought about how the chain of events had occurred, and he was ready to move forward:

"Charlene, I need to explain about Pavel's bachelor party; it wasn't what it seemed."

Charlene lifted a brow: "I saw two women sitting on your lap and pawing at your bare chest. As you can imagine, that was pretty hard to take."

"I know what you saw, but it wasn't the reality of the situation. If you trusted me, truly trusted me, Char, we would be married right now!"

"You think so?"

"Yes! I'm tired of you letting Jamaal into our relationship! He was an a$$ and hurt you, so now you don't trust me!"

Char was surprised to hear 'Karu finger the effects of her disastrous affair with Jamaal as the main problem in their relationship: "Ja-Jamaal?"

"Yes, Jamaal! He ruined everything! I've been trying hard to not do the things he did so you can trust me as I trust you! I didn't want a wild party because I wanted you to trust me and love me. Pavel tricked me to get me to that party! I told him NOT to throw a wild party months ago, but he did it anyway because he and I had partied a lot before you and I started dating. The guys dragged me to the throne chair, the women ripped my shirt off, and when I tried to leave, they dragged me back and sat on me. I didn't want to be there because I was thinking of you! It hurts me to see you hurting."

Karu was breathing heavily when he finished.

Charlene realized that Jamaal's behavior had affected her more than she thought. The knowledge that she hadn't trusted 'Karu to be the man that he was hurt her even more.

"'Karu I'm sorry! I'm... so sorry! I didn't realize I was doing that."

She sat down and cried: "I've been so unfair to you!"

'Karu sat next to her and hugged her:

"I'm not angry. I should have said something earlier; we are both new to this. I have never had such a serious relationship with a woman, and I have wondered if I'm making mistakes in each situation we've been through. But I did notice that Jamaal was involved with you for a while and I didn't want to be compared to him. I found that you were comparing me to him, and that hurt. We are both dealing with past relationships that hurt us. But despite that, I love you and I want to marry the girl who fixed my old hoverbike."

They both snickered, lifting the feeling of heavy drama.

"So let's get hitched and make it official!"

"Thanks for understanding, ‘'Karu!"

"Thank Mr. Spock; he's the one that pushed me to talk it out with you."

Char looked puzzled: "Huh? Mr. Spock-the couples expert?!"

Thy both laughed.

"Oh, by the way, I'm still going to kill Pavel."

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

*Jamaal is mentioned in some of my previous stories: "The Battle for Spock," chapter 20; and "Transferred," chapter 4; as well as chapter 1 of "Charlene's Diary."

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.