Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: Jsilver2000




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The Truth of it All

Janice sat in her quarters, alone. She hated being alone. She was swigging a bottle of whiskey straight, feeling miserable about the situation she had created. She could have had any man she wanted-any but one. She brought the bottle to her lips.

"Here's to you, Jim Kirk," she whispered, before swallowing down the strong drink.

Janice had tried to forget him, but he was in her skin, wearing her like a second glove. Her eyes were puffy from crying. She didn't know how to shake his hold. She had known his reputation before she got involved with him. She thought about the women he had flaunted in front of her-the women who had told her their stories of their sexual escapades with Kirk, yet she still couldn't shake him. She thought to herself, "Why can't I get rid of you? I wish I could forget you!"

Janice had tried dating other men; it would work for a while, but then she would remember how Kirk's kisses had melted her lips and body. On top of it, Nyota her one time friend at the time, had gotten married, and Hikaru also her friend was engaged; the contrast between their happiness and her own misery made it hurt even more. Nyota was married to Mr. Spock "What a match!"

Janice could never figure out that Vulcan; she just knew that he was best friends with Kirk. Nyota, with her winning personality and sexy figure, had gotten the Vulcan."And they look happy! What the fu*k?!" Another crying jag started. "I just need to make it though one more week on this ship once the orders come in," she thought.

Then there was Sulu. When she had been stationed on the Enterprise the first time, she had known he had a crush on her, but she played it off as friendship, her eyes were on one person at that time 'Kirk'. Letting Sulu go had been her biggest mistake, because he was a sure thing. Although she had considered him more of a friend then, now it seemed to her that he was fair game. Now that she had become the hunter, instead of the prey, she wondered what kind of man Hikaru really was."Not bad looking, nice personality; I wonder if he's good in the sack?" She had tried to pursue a relationship by getting close to him, trying to make up her mistake. But now Nyota had warned her to back off. Janice didn't really know Charlene at all, but they had both found love on a ship-a shipboard romance is a tough act to follow, but Janice wanted somebody to love. Janice stumbled to her bed and sat on the edge, wondering how she would handle Jim, her former lover, on this slow motion destination. Her heartaches, body aches, and a headache all attacking her at once, she dropped the bottle on the floor and curled up on her bed, hugging her pillow and crying herself to sleep.


Captain Kirk was resting in his quarters. He had received orders from Starfleet Command to proceed to Starbase 15 for supplies and to drop off personnel. Kirk sat in his quarters wondering about Janice. He didn't like how their relationship had ended either, but he needed to focus on the Enterprise. He couldn't afford distractions like the rest of his crew. He clearly remembered how Bones had spoken to him. Kirk put his Padd down on his desk and lay down on his bed, thinking about how to approach the situation. He had heard rumors that she been dating and flirting with other men. Somehow she had even attracted the attention of Sulu, her old acquaintance, but he was engaged. "She isn't having an affair with Sulu, is she?" he wondered. Kirk sat up, grabbed his Padd, and went back to work, shaking off the distracting thoughts.


The next day, Charlene was working in Engineering as if she were a robot. She was going though the motions and trying to focus, but her mind kept wandering back to that woman-a woman determined to take her man away from her. Janice had made a bold move, and it made a bold statement. The wedding dresses had distracted her the previous evening, but now her concerns had returned, even though Nyota had spoken to Janice.

"Masters."

"Masters!"

Finally, Scotty shook her shoulder. "Masters, lass, what is wrong with ye?!"

Charlene snapped out of it and looked up at the Chief of Engineering.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Scott!"

"The way yer gripping that Padd in yer hands says something else! What's wrong there, lassie?"

Charlene looked down and saw her hands tightly gripping her Padd. She slowly relaxed her hands and looked up at Scotty.

"Sorry, sir! I wasn't aware that I was deep in thought."

"Has something happened between ye and Sulu? I canna have drama down here with my bairns," Scotty told her, pointing at the antimatter console.

"OH NO, SIR! Sulu and I are great."

"Then back to work, lassie," Scotty said, turning to head back to the main console.

Charlene was chagrined; she had never before let a relationship interfere with her job. And now she had, thanks to Janice making a move on her man. "At least Scotty reprimanded me in a nice way," she thought. She looked down at her monitoring Padd and went back to work.


On the bridge, Chekov and Sulu were at their posts, monitoring their course, when they overheard a conversation: two crewmen were whispering about someone, a very beautiful someone.

Lt. Kyle leaned toward Lt. Brent and said, "Wow! Janice Rand is some woman-a lot of men are attracted to her."

"She is beautiful," Brent replied. "I always see her with a different guy. She's definitely playing the field."

"Maybe she hasn't found the right man yet-a man who can really treat her like a woman."

The men stopped talking when they saw Lt. Uhura walk in their direction. They both stood up and pretended that they were working. Uhura walked by them intentionally to put a stop to their conversation. She stopped at the environmental control console with her Padd and asked Lt. Riggs a question.

"Any updates for the Captain?"

"All systems nominal, Lieutenant."

"Thanks for the report, Riggs."

Uhura went down the steps to Sulu's station and stood in front of the helm, between him and Chekov. She looked at the giant monitor as the stars passed by on the screen, and then she slowly turned to Sulu and gave him a look, which he acknowledged with a nod of thanks. Both men gave their reports:

"Maintaining course, Lieutenant."

Sulu was grateful that Uhura had interrupted the unwelcome conversation. He still thought of Rand as his friend, and he wondered whether something was bothering her. But he was not willing to do anything that could risk his relationship with Charlene. "Maybe Char and I can do something together to break the ice," he wondered.

Uhura walked up the steps to the science station, where her husband was busy working. Sensing her presence, he turned to acknowledge his wife as she handed him the updates on her Padd. During the exchange, his fingers lightly grazed hers, and a tingling sensation ran up her arm and jumped to her spine. She kept her eyes hooded to cover her surprise and delight that her husband would engage in foreplay while on duty. She sent a thought through their bond:

"You will pay for that."

"Indeed!"

Uhura walked away with a big grin on her face.

Duty finally ended for the alpha shift, and the bridge crew headed out to their various off-duty activities.


Later that evening, the girls decided to hang out in the rec-lounge, which had a more subdued atmosphere versus the bar lounge and was therefore more conducive to conversation .

Eve gave Charlene a close look and said, "Char, I hate to say this, but you look really tired."

Charlene placed her fists against her cheeks: "I'm okay, just frustrated. I'm reading too much into the situation, and I can't help it."

"You shouldn't let it get to you."

Charlene looked at her two friends: "Listen, my relationship with 'Karu is the most meaningful one I've ever had. To find a man that totally into you-it's hard. This thing with Rand bugs me so bad!"

Nyota gave Charlene a shoulder bump: "It's going to be fine; you'll see."

*Yeoman Rhonda Evans, wandered over in an obviously jovial mood:

"Hi, ladies! I see you three are out and about!"

All three ladies rolled their eyes at the appearance of Rhonda, the troublemaker. She had continued to dog them since Nyota's marriage to Spock.

"If you start something, Rhonda, I'll forget that I'm an officer and take you out!" Nyota challenged.

"Uhura! I can't believe you said that, being a married woman and all," Rhonda said. "I'm just curious about Sulu-I mean he IS a man. I keep hearing things about Janice Rand on the prowl and quick kisses in quiet corners and stuff," she said, giving Char a sidelong glance. She was rubbing it in, hoping to get a reaction out of Char.

"Oh yeah? A person could find herself in trouble for spreading that kind of rumor," Eve snapped. "It's a good thing for you that Charlene is mature about such things."

Charlene was sitting in a rigid posture, looking Rhonda straight in the eye. The girls presenting a united front was all that was keeping her from losing her temper. She didn't need commentary on Janice Rand or her motives.

Finally, Charlene had an idea of how to really get to Rhonda: "Excuse me, Rhonda, I don't want to be rude, but you caught us in the middle of planning my wedding. I don't get time off to work on it, so I don't have time to listen to rumors. Do you mind?":giving Rhonda the evil eye, making sure she sees her fists were balled up.

Rhonda was taken aback, obviously surprised to find out that 'Karu and Char were getting ready to tie the knot. She managed to stammer after seeing Charlene's demeanor: "I-I wasn't aware. I'll leave you to your planning."

As Rhonda walked away in fear of her life at the look Charlene gave her, all three women breathed a sigh of relief.

"Is she still carrying a grudge against us after all this time?" Eve asked.

"Yes; she hasn't gotten over Spock choosing me and how you two backed me up before, during, and after our wedding," Nyota said, before sipping her tea.

"Ny, I really feel like kicking Janice's a**!" Char said. "I can't take it anymore! I need to find out WHY she's after my man!"

Nyota knew she needed to take another approach; she knew Eve and Charlene would beat her down otherwise. They couldn't risk an open battle again; she had promised her husband and the Captain not to engage in challenges on the ship. She had one more card to play; it involved her husband. She leaned toward Charlene: "Listen, Charlene, I think I can find a way to resolve this."

"You do Nyota? How? If I hear one more accusation about those two, I'll lose my mind!"

"Charlene, you need to stop focusing on rumors and trust your man," Nyota said giving her a no nonsense look. "He has told you multiple times you're the woman he wants. You need to let that sink in and stop overthinking the situation. It's not helping you or him!"

"Ouch-that's harsh!" Charlene snapped.

"But she's right!" Eve chimed in.

Nyota looked at her best friend: "I'm so happy you found someone like 'Karu, but you are going to find that many women are attracted to him, and you need to deal with it. You're going to marry the man soon. Some people are jealous of your relationship, I had to deal with Spock's 'club'; trust me, I had to deal with it every day!"

Charlene sighed: "I guess you're right."

"Excuse me? I know I'm right!"

The three women exchanged glances and laughed.

Then Nyota became serious:

Nyota gently shooed her away; "Now go and be with your man! Goodnight, Char."

Charlene said goodnight to her friends and left to find Sulu.

Eve looked at Nyota: "Girl, that was deep!"

"You're right, Eve, but I had to say it," Nyota replied. "Tough girl love! When you walk into a relationship, it's hard work, and there are times you have to fight to keep it."

"I know-you have to fight the drama."

"That's true-I need to talk to Spock, so I'll leave you, Eve. Have a good night."

"G'night, Nyota."


Nyota needed to talk to Spock. She had always suspected that Janice had harbored a crush on the Captain. With Spock and Jim being best friends, she had been able to make the connection. When she entered their quarters, she found Spock reading a science journal.

"Spock, darling, may I speak with you?"

"Yes, K'diwa," he said, putting aside his work to give his wife his full attention. Nyota went to him and sat on his lap.

"You know I usually don't ask about certain things about the Captain, she said. "But some strange things are happening."

"Clarify your statement."

"First, has Janice Rand ever been involved with Jim Kirk?"

"In her previous assignment to the Enterprise, Ms. Rand was a yeoman primarily assigned to the Captain," Spock said.

Nyota could tell that Spock was dancing around the question.

"Spock, I meant in a relationship."

"Every crewman at one point develops meaningful relationships."

Nyota leaned away to the side to get a better view of her husband, who was clearly trying to evade her questions. She leaned towards him and circled an arm around his back for support.

"I see I have an uphill battle with you."

"No need to go uphill at all-I have answered your question," Spock replied, arching an eyebrow.

Nyota stood up and walked a couple of steps away, then turned, folded her arms across her chest, and stared at her husband with a huff.

Spock realized that this line of questioning would lead him to a place where a husband did not want to be and made the logical decision:

"Ms. Rand was involved with the Captain three years ago."

"What happened?"

"She wanted more commitment, and Jim wanted the Enterprise. She was aware of many of Jim's extracurricular activities with other females as well. I believe that drove a wedge between them."

"In other words, Kirk broke her heart."

"I believe so. Why are you asking these questions?"

"Well, my sweet darling, Janice has changed into-as the girls in our group say-a bit*ch. She has latched on to Sulu despite being well aware of his engagement. The ship's gossip mill keeps throwing the rumors in Char's face, so now she is so upset that she is ready to do physical harm to Rand."

"I see. It would be unwise for Ms. Masters to engage in a form of contact that could affect her status as a lieutenant."

"I believe Rand is playing the diva to get Kirk's attention. But I also believe Kirk should apologize to her for his man-whoring and for breaking her heart."

"I do not understand how the situation could be so changed from what it was three years ago."

"Spock, women can be loving and compassionate one minute and then devious and revengeful the next-usually after a man does something awful. Rand has all the signs. You can check with McCoy to confirm."

"I see no reason for me to become involved in the Captain's personal relationships."

"Oh, there's a very good reason, my sweet, darling, handsome Vulcan. Because he is your friend, and I am putting you on notice that you are aware of the situation. If Masters does engage in any form of assault against Rand, it will come out that you had prior knowledge and failed to prevent it," :Nyota said innocently.

"I've just calmed Masters down AGAIN, mind you. You and McCoy are going to help your friend to avoid a disaster for all involved, but mostly for my friend, who is trying to marry Sulu! I think this has gone on too long."

Nyota sat on Spock's lap again, touching her forehead to his; "I know this is not your area of expertise, but Kirk is your friend," Nyota said. "He needs to be confronted with the truth." She lightly kissed his lips. "For the safety of the crew." She continued to pepper her husband with kisses. Nyota wanted to reward him for the mission he was about to undertake. She rubbed his shoulders and back, and her fire started to build.

Spock took a deep breath and wrapped his long arms around his wife.

"I will take action to resolve this situation as part of my duty as an officer and your husband," he said. "I will leave now to converse with McCoy."

"Now?"

"Now!"

"But I was hoping for a little love now," Nyota said, gently kissing his cheeks and lips.

"I must act while I still have the courage; I will return and continue this more pleasing mission to your heart's desire."

Spock lifted Nyota to her feet and stood up himself. He nodded respectfully and then left to see McCoy.

Nyota took a deep breath and stamped her feet: "Me and my big mouth-I was SO in the mood!"


Meanwhile, Sulu and Masters were connecting:

The couple were lying on Sulu's bed, holding each other close.

"I'm glad you decided to stop by," Sulu said. "I know you and your friends are working on our wedding."

"Yeah, me too-I had a revelation that I was being a little childish about Rand."

"You did-what do you mean?"

"I had a little help from a friend, who reminded me that I was reading way too much into things."

"I'm glad, Char, because I didn't want things to turn ugly, and I know you're trying to deal with the drama."

"Yeah, I see the picture now. How are your bachelor party plans going?"

"I already told Pavel 'no wild women', but I can never tell with that guy. He has a thing for, um, clothing-challenged women."

Charlene sat up and glared: "You tell that little Russian Casanova not to place you in a compromising position or I will take care of him like I did Jaamal!"**

Sulu laughed as he remembered the story about Jaamal: "You know what? I'm going to tell him that!"

Sulu pulled Charlene back down next to him as he continued to laugh at the thought. Charlene joined in too for a moment, but then said somberly: "But I will, 'Karu."

"I believe you, Char; I have no doubt."

"I am working on my vows; it's not my thing-they will be simple and to the point."

"Mine is too-unless I get struck by inspiration, maybe some lines from a famous poet."

"Do you-do you want to have kids someday?"

Sulu sat up and looked down at her, searching her eyes: "I would love to if you want; I'm game!"

"To tell you the truth, I'm scared about having them-I mean a little one inside of me growing."

"But, Char, I'll be with you every step of the way."

"Whew, thanks, babe! Thanks!" she said as a tear trailed down her face.

Sulu gathered her into his arms and held her: "I think we will be great parents. Our kid will be another pilot."

"Or another engineer!"

'Karu smiled seductively: "Or both!"

He pulled her closer and started to kiss her cheeks. Charlene bypassed the foreplay, pulling him on top of her and planting a sizzling kiss. Good night.


Spock dreaded confrontation of any kind, but what Nyota had said was true: if anything did happen between Rand and Masters, there would be repercussions that went beyond the two combatants. The Captain must deal with the aftermath of the relationship he'd had with Rand. He chimed McCoy's door and it snapped open. McCoy looked up at Spock and mumbled, "What in devil's name do you want?"

Spock walked in without an invitation and stood in the center of McCoy's quarters. The door closed. "I could've had a guest," McCoy grumbled.

Spock was about to comment but held back; he needed the doctor's assistance, not his banter.

"Doctor, I just had a conversation with my wife concerning Ms. Rand. She believes a physical confrontation is likely to occur between Ms. Rand and Ms. Masters."

"Do you want something to drink, since you pulled me out of bed and I'm half asleep? And what makes Nyota think that?" McCoy asked as he walked to his liquor cabinet and poured himself a drink.

Spock noticed now that McCoy was in his pajamas: "No, Doctor. No thank you."

"Well?"

"Nyota believes that Rand is pursuing Sulu as, in her words, 'a revenge tactic' in order to draw the Captain's attention to her once again. Ms. Masters is becoming irritated with Rand's actions and may take matters into her own hands, if nothing is done to defuse the situation."

McCoy was in the midst of taking a sip of his drink while he listened to Spock, and he stopped his glass in mid-air to comprehend his story. He started to chuckle.

"Spock, you married an amazing woman with great insight. She should become a psychologist."

"Why thank you, Doctor! My wife has insight when it comes to human conflicts."

McCoy eyed Spock mischievously: "Well, she's right-that's a piece of the puzzle; now we need to get Jim on the same page."

"Nyota suggested that a formal apology for his conduct during their last interaction three years ago is in order."

"Damn her! She's right again; a woman scorned has a hard time letting things go. And Jim has a lot of women to apologize to."

"At the moment, Doctor, we have only one on board this ship."

McCoy wished he could throw the glass at him for his last remark-'so logical.'

"Now that we know what the problem is, how do we get them together to work things out?"

"First, Doctor, we need to get Jim to acknowledge that Rand harbors animosity against him and that he is at fault."

"Right again. Let's find a way to get Jim to the briefing room tomorrow so we can discuss this with him and go from there. Now, Mr. Spock, may I go to bed?!"

Spock turned to leave, saying: "On behalf of my wife, we thank you, Doctor."

McCoy watched Spock leave and ran his hands through his hair: "Jim and his damned women! One day they will be the death of him."

He flopped onto his bed and thought about Uhura, she is right-smart woman, 'Damn Vulcan!' tried to achieve slumber again.


The next day, Masters had a much better day. She spent the day daydreaming of her and 'Karu's wedding day. She took the opportunity to browse through her Padd, looking at the wedding dresses that Eve had designed for her and finally picking something simple. She didn't care about an elaborate dress; she just wanted to be with 'Karu for the rest of her life. Charlene didn't focus on Janice; she finally got Nyota's point about letting sleeping dogs lie. In fact, she had even started to feel sorry for her and didn't allow Janice to ruin her day or affect her relationship with 'Karu. Not even Rhonda could get under her skin. She just didn't care about them anymore; her entire focus-her heart-was on one person and one person only-Hikaru Sulu.

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N:

*Yeoman Rhonda Evans: The Battle for Spock part 2: Mr. Spock's Appreciation Club member.

**Charlene's Diary: chapter 1 'The Reckoning'

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.