Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Beta Reader: JSilver

Charlene's Diary

The Return of JR-Part Four

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Conclusion of The Return of JR


McCoy and Spock finally arranged with Jim to talk about the situation in McCoy's secured office in Sickbay.

"Okay, gentlemen. You got me here; what's going on?"

Spock arched a brow, "Dr. McCoy and I have concerns about a situation, Captain."

McCoy looked at Spock and wondered if he would try to explain with a bunch of logical terms.

"Spock, let me do this, just in case he hits me. Then you can give Jim that Vulcan nerve pinch."

"As you wish, Doctor." Spock leaned back against the desk and folded his arms across his chest.

"Listen, Jim. You've probably heard that Janice has talked with the man's lady lately, and she seems to be trying to attach herself to Sulu. And you know how rumors are on this ship; they spread like wildfire. Well, this rumor found its way back to Masters, and she is about to blow her top over the way Janice is coming on to her man. The subtle approach which Nyota attempted to do, didn't work with Janice, and things are getting out of hand."

"So, what do you want me to do, tell her to stop looking at Sulu?"

"Uhura came up with the theory that Janice is still sore about you breaking up with her three years ago and that being on this ship is aggravating it."

"And again, what can I do? The woman never got over me; I do have that effect."

Spock sighed and cleared his throat, while McCoy gave Kirk an exaggerated eyeroll.

"It's all about you, Jim," McCoy said disgustedly. "What you could do is apologize to the woman so she can move on and heal her broken heart. You do have a heart?" he asked, poking Kirk in the chest.

Kirk thought about the relationship he once had with Janice and how it hadn't ended well. His ship had always come first, and that was still the case.

Kirk smiled and said, "What if my apology doesn't work-then what?"

"For your sake, it better work or-"

"Or what? You two will put me on report?"

Spock spoke up: "If the situation is not defused, I'll have to file a report noting that two female officers were in an altercation and that it could have been avoided if the Captain had taken action."

McCoy looked at Spock, "Well said, Spock! I can see being married to Nyota has improved your character."

"Why thank you, Doctor."

Kirk looked at his two friends with mild outrage for a moment, but then he sighed deeply and said, "I guess I'm having dinner with Janice Rand."

McCoy put his hand on Kirk's shoulder: "Good choice, Jim."

"What do you mean 'good choice'? I'm being blackmailed!"

"Captain, we merely persuaded you to choose the most logical option to avoid an unnecessary confrontation," Spock replied innocently.

Kirk gave Spock a look that said the captain was not in any way mollified by his last statement; he punched the intercom and dictated a detailed message to be sent to Rand's quarters, requesting her to meet him on the Observation Deck that night. Kirk snapped off the intercom, still feeling annoyed; he folded his arms across his chest.

"Happy now?"

"Jim, you're taking this all wrong! Masters is an excellent warp core engineer. Scott is crazy about her performance," McCoy said. "You should be happy that you have a chance to save a relationship."

Jim was not happy. He was not looking forward to meeting with an old lover, a woman scorned and full of anger toward him. He wondered what would be the best way to approach her. He knew he wouldn't be able to use his old charms on her.

"Jim, just be honest with her; most women like that. That gives them a chance to break the chains," McCoy said, patting him on his shoulder.

"Okay. I need a moment alone to gather my thoughts."

Kirk turned away from his friends, but he knew they were telling the truth. He remembered the last woman who hated him; it hadn't been so long since Dr. Lester had switched bodies with him.[1] If it hadn't been for Spock, he would have been stuck in a woman's body for the rest of his life.

Spock and McCoy left Jim to gather his thoughts.

Janice returned to her quarters and checked her messages; the one from Kirk sent her into shock. She sat on her bed and replayed the message: Kirk wanted to meet with her. Janice unwound her piled hair so it fell below her shoulders. Kirk want to see me, huh? I have a lot to say to the man-whore, the way he treated me.Janice sent a message back to Kirk to confirm their meeting later that evening. Janice lay down on her bed and took a nap; she knew she would need to be alert for her rendezvous with Kirk.


Meanwhile:

"Eve, I selected this dress for my wedding," Charlene said. She looked at Nyota and Eve: "You two can wear anything you like; I don't care if it's a polar bear rug!"

The three of them laughed.

Eve finished pinning the dress to fit it to Charlene's trim figure. "Well, thanks! I think I'll wear that palazzo pants set I wore for Nyota's party."

"If you have an extra set, Eve, I'll wear one too!" Nyota said.

"Not a problem! I can coordinate to match Charlene's theme colors. There! All done, Char. Take a look in the mirror."

Charlene carefully stepped over to the mirror and saw a different woman standing in front of her.

"Ny- um- Ny?" Charlene started shaking: "I now know how you felt when you tried on your dress! Eve, this is beautiful!"

"Girl- Char, you are beautiful!" Eve replied.

Nyota laughed: "I don't think you'll be in that dress for long once 'Karu sees you in it!"

"For once I feel like a woman instead of an engineer or one of the guys!"

"I don't know what the men are looking at unless they are blind!" Eve said, chuckling.

Charlene's smile faltered and then disappeared.

Nyota picked up on her long-time friend's mood change immediately. She looked Charlene in the eye and folded her arms across her chest.

"Okay, Char. Spill it."

"Well, I don't want to hurt 'Karu's family with this." Charlene gave both women a worried look and started breathing hard.

Eve stepped forward and hugged her: "Is it the dress? I can make another one in time for your wedding."

"No, it's not the dress-I want to marry 'Karu now and not wait until we get back to Earth. I know his family is traditional, and they want all the bells and whistles. But I feel that each day we take our chances out in space. I want to be a part of his life now-just in case..."

Charlene looked toward Nyota and saw that she knew exactly what Char meant. Nyota went to Charlene and hugged her, and then took her hands in hers.

"Char, honey, there's no reason to be afraid of the future. If you want to marry 'Karu now, it's fine with us. This is your moment; Eve, and I will support you whatever you decide."

"His family wants a big to-do because he's the only son and he has an uncle that has all these big expectations. I don't want to ruin it, especially for him," Charlene said somberly.

Eve stepped closer and wrapped one of her arms around Char's shoulders. "Char, talk it over with him; he'll understand."

Charlene had been thinking of marrying him ever since they came back aboard. They had considered having a quick wedding on Earth with his family but they decided to wait about two years because that would be the only time the Enterprise would be in the vicinity of Earth for an extended period. But now things were different; Char was eager to start their life together. But would he agree to her request?


At the same time, in the ship's lounge, two men were discussing a party:

Pavel was scanning a Padd on the table, looking for a pleasure planet, while sipping his favorite drink, vodka.

"Hikaru, I found another place to celebrate your farevell party; ve are close to another club. But eet's nothing like Wrrreegley's Pleasure Planet."[2]

"Put that on ice, Pavel! I'm really not interested in a wild bachelor party."

'Karu sat with his drink, glad that the dilemma with Charlene was over. But still mulling over Janice's behavior: I just don't understand why she would come on to me now? I'm with Charlene.He turned his attention back to Pavel, who was insisting on having a pull-out-all-the-stops bachelor party.

"I'm starting to wonder if this is more for you than me, Pavel," Sulu said, giving his young friend a sly smirk.

"Vhy yes! I vant to have fun too. Vhat's wrrrong with you, Sulu?" Pavel asked, looking concerned.

"I don't know if I should say anything; I don't want it getting around."

Pavel grinned: "I heard the rumor that Janice keessed you een this wery lounge a couple of nights ago!"

Sulu's mouth dropped open: "So it did spread through the ship. It's a good thing I told Charlene; she would've had my head."

"Hikaru, vhat's the beeg deal? Stuff ees said about everybody almost every day; eet'll die down."

"But this one hit home; my girl was going on woman hunt," 'Karu said, running his hand through his hair at the unsettling thought. A girl fight? Hum, kind of kinky-I'm starting to like the idea.

"So, vill you agrrree to the bachelor party?" Chekov asked.

"That's a large negative, Pavel. I'm really into Charlene; as a matter of fact, I love her! Not risking it,"

'Karu said, shaking his head at him.

Pavel folded his arms across his chest: "I need to talk to your fiancée; thees is about trrradeetion, the groom's rrrite of passage."

"Oh, she'll give you a 'right' passage, a passage to sickbay!" 'Karu said, chuckling.

"She vouldn't rrreally do that, vould she?"

"Let me put it this way: I picked you as my best man. If she found out you gave me a bachelor party, not only would she kill me, she would also clean your clock without thinking about it. On top of that, she has three, I mean THREE, six-foot-four brothers. I promised them I would look out for her."

"But Hikaru, eet's my early geeft! Seence ve are out een space, eet veell be a year or two before ve head back to Earth. I feegured ve could heet a couple of pleasure planets and clubs to justto begin the celebration."

'Karu looked at Pavel and shook his head: "You're not giving up on this, are you?"

"NO, I'm the BEST MAN!"

"I hope I can KEEP you the best man. Charlene doesn't know about my old lifestyle. So don't go there!"

"All rrright, all rrright! Vhat a party pooper-you have changed because of Charlene!"

"I don't mind at all if I've changed because of Charlene. It's what I needed! Besides, she likes my sword collection."

Pavel slapped a hand to his forehead: "'eyi eyi' Those svords! Don't tell me she likes them?"

"She doesn't mind them. If you want to give me a party, I'll take one like Mr. Spock's."

"Mr. Spock had a party?"

"Yeah, it was small-quiet. Mr. Spock killed us all in poker. Why don't you talk to Dr. McCoy? He can arrange it for you."

"Bleh! Eet must have been wery boring with no sexy girls! I know Mr. Spock eesn't the type, but I vould have thought Captain Kirk vould have had some there for hees own entertainment."

"NO, Pavel! No girls either. I already got in trouble over one so far. I don't need repeat performance."

"Okay, okay-thees ees going to the lowest-key bachelor party I've ever attended."

Sulu shook his head at his young friend, who was totally missing the point. He finished his drink: "See you later, Pavel, and thanks for the company."

"Good night, Hikaru." Pavel watched his friend leave the bar. He reflected on their conversation about the bachelor party and shook his head in disappointment. He thought to himself: Vee used to party all the time vhen ve were on leave-from starbases to pleasure planets. Thees woman really changed heem! If I can't take Sulu to Wrrreegley's Pleasure Planet, then I'll breeng the Pleasure Planet to HEEM!A sneaky grin formed on Pavel's face as he started thinking of a plan to get some wild women onto the ship.


A little while later, a date was in progress:

Kirk looked at himself in the mirror and straightened his tunic for the final time before heading out the door. He ran his hand down his toned abs. Then he headed out the door to meet his fate with Janice. Dealing with women from his past was not his forte, but to have peace on his ship, he was willing to make the effort. All because Janice had trouble getting over him; he didn't really want to hurt her, but it was over. Kirk strolled down the corridor to an isolated area of the Observation Deck.

Janice finished applying her pink lipstick, her favorite; she stood in front of the mirror and twirled in her flowing pink print midi dress. This will make or break me; I must keep control of the situation. Janice gave herself a spritz of her favorite perfume and left to meet Kirk. She saw him amidst an array of flowers and other plants.

"Hello."

Kirk turned toward her, all smiles and charm; they had never failed him, until now.

"Good evening, Rand. We finally meet again."

Janice returned the smile: "It looks that way; what's the occasion, Captain?"

Kirk winced at hearing his title, which indicated she was still sore with him. He sighed:

"I thought we should talk and-but how is the training program at the Academy going?"

"Since I left here, I've immersed myself in my work and studies. I decided to expand my skills in order to advance beyond being an unappreciated yeoman." Janice stood with her arms folded across her chest, ready for battle. She looked Kirk straight in the eye; she wasn't falling for his charm anymore.

"Whoa, whoa, Janice! We're just having a friendly talk, that's all! Why don't you sit down and let me explain myself?"

They moved to the nearest lounge chairs and sat. Kirk opened the conversation: "I know that things didn't end well with us; I had a lot on my plate as a new captain of the Enterprise. Sometimes expectations can be overwhelming."

"I was aware that you were in charge of the ship, Captain. I was there to support you professionally. But you did indicate an interest in me, which I didn't mind. I did find you attractive, but I knew I was taking a risk with you being my commander."

"Yes, my intentions were not to hurt you, but in the long run it was safer that I didn't become involved in relationships among the crew."

"Well, you should have explained this earlier in the relationship instead of-making me look like a fool in front of the crew, humiliating myself over my feelings for you," Janice snapped. "But mostly you shouldn't have flaunted your relationships with other women and-" tears started to fall down her face.

Kirk jumped up and found a tissue for her tears; she wiped her eyes.

"I wish you could have been honest, Jim-I wouldn't have become the broken woman who left this ship."

She looked up at Jim and saw remorse in his eyes; she wondered if he was still the womanizer she continued to hear about after she left the ship. Jim knelt and gathered her hands together, and she continued:

"I had feelings for you, Jim, and that hurts! You have no idea how it feels to be a woman in love."

Jim dropped his head, took a deep breath, and decided to break his vow of silence:

"Yes, I have."

She looked at him in confusion: "What?!"

"Yes, I do know how it feels to be a woman. A couple of years ago, an old flame-also named Janice-found this machine that transfers consciousness between bodies. She hated me so much that she transferred my mind into her body (and vice versa) and made everyone think I was a crazy doctor sick from radiation poison. For the first time, I felt helpless, defenseless, and vulnerable-so yes, I have some idea of how it feels to be a woman."

Janice stared at Jim, her mouth open in shock at his confession.

Kirk continued: "It was Spock who saved me; if he hadn't mind-melded with me, I would've been trapped inside someone else's body, lost. Nobody would ever have known." Jim's eyes took on a faraway look. It had taken him a while to let those strange feelings go; being a woman had given him a different perspective on the female gender. "That event changed me; it caused me to respect women more. So, Janice, I am asking you to forgive me for hurting you, for not appreciating you for your worth."

The ice melted from her heart and more tears fell. Jim reached over and gave her a hug to comfort her.

"Is that's why I haven't seen you around with other women?"

"One of the reasons, but I truly would like for us to be friends, to have a healthy relationship for a change." Jim reached for one of her hands and gently held it.

"I felt so worthless and spiteful that I did things that I shouldn't have."

"Like-pursuing Sulu?"

"Yes-Hikaru is a decent man, not a man-whore, like someone I know. I wanted that in a man. He fit the profile."

"That's nice and all, but he's engaged to a wonderful woman."

"That shouldn't matter to a woman who finds him attractive; after all, I met him first."

Jim gave her a serious look and saw the hurt: "He was your friend-why would you hurt a friend who didn't do anything to you? That was never you, Janice-at least not the Janice I knew."

"I don't want to hurt him or his woman." Janice looked into his eyes. "I just-I needed..."

Jim reached over and hugged her deeply; he understood what she wanted-what she needed. Janice needed validation of her sexuality and intelligence-the thing he couldn't give her while they were in the relationship, which he regretted. The Enterprise had taken up his whole life. That is what he realized with Lester-she hadn't been recognized for her worth.

Janice started to breathe, and Jim released her from the hug. His words had released years of tension. She realized that he was being genuine-this was the real Kirk, the Kirk that she longed to be with. She held them back, but her eyes were filled to the brim with tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks.

Jim pulled back slightly and looked at her: "Are we okay-are you okay?"

She nodded her head yes.

"Would you like to have dinner with an old friend?"

"Sure, that would be nice!"

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N:

[1] Star Trek TOS: "Turnabout Intruder"-I never thought that Kirk would find the woman in him.

[2] Star Trek TOS: "The Man Trap"-Wrigley's Pleasure Planet (WPP) was mentioned in passing when Crewman Darnell compared the salt vampire's illusion of Nancy Crater to a woman he saw on WPP. Darnell and Dr. McCoy were on the planet M-113. Nancy Crater was a woman from McCoy's past, and the salt vampire showed the two men different illusions that were both supposed to be Nancy.

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.