Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

John wakes up and has a decision to make.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

  

Now is always the time

 

Chapter 11

 

While all of this is happening back at the station, in the hospital John wakes up.  Michael is in the room with him at the time and the first thing that John says is, "Where is Evangeline?  Is she all right?  Did she get shot too?"

 

Michael tells John that Evangeline was with him until a few hours ago when she went home.  She is fine and will probably return to visit with him.  John is relieved to hear that.  He asks what happened and Michael tells him that he was shot twice in the back but expects to make a full recovery.  Michael also tells John that there is a police officer on guard outside his door just in case the shooter decides to return to finish the job.  

 

John can see the worry on Michael's face and tries to allay his fears.  "Michael, I'm sure that the LPD is working furiously on this.  We take care of our own.  Don't worry okay.  I can't think of anyone who would go to this length to get back at me.  Most of the really serious arrests that I've made, all of those guys are in maximum security prisons and so I doubt that it's one of them.  The other arrests weren't folks who would go to these lengths to get back at me.  Maybe it was mistaken identity or something," John says but he's pretty sure that Michael doesn't totally believe him.  He too wonders who hated him enough to try to kill him.

 

The nurse comes in to take John's vitals and tells him that someone is here, after visiting hours, wanting to see him.  They don't usually allow visitors outside of the allotted time but she's decided to make an exception this time.  Opening the door a little wider she allows the visitor to enter.  John's eyes open wider and Michael just smiles.  He knew that she wouldn't stay away for long.  Maybe, just maybe, these two will get things right this time.  They both deserve some happiness.  

 

"Thank you Nurse Peterson.  I know it's against the rules so I really appreciate you allowing me to visit now.  I won't stay too long," Evangeline says as she looks at John as he sits up a little higher in the bed.  He winces as he moves and everyone sees it.  Michael rushes over to help him sit up, Nurse Peterson takes his blood pressure and Evangeline stands to the side biting her lip feeling sad that he's in pain.

 

In an attempt to calm everyone John says, "I'm okay.  Just a little pain but I can handle it." He attempts to smile to let them know that he is really okay.  After completing her tasks Nurse Peterson leaves and Michael tells John that he'll check with him later so that will give Evangeline time to visit with him.  Before Michael leaves he whispers to John, "I told you she would be back to visit.  Make the most of it."  John looks at Michael trying to figure out why he said that and Michael sees his confusion so he adds, "Now is the only time you have.  Don't waste it."  On his way out of the room Michael stops and kisses Evangeline on the cheek and whispers to her, "I'm glad that you came back.  He needs you whether he realizes it or not.  Make the most of the moment."  Evangeline squeezes Michael's hand to let him know that she understands what he's trying to do.  That's one of the reasons that she came back to the hospital.

 

When Evangeline left earlier she went home to her cottage, took a shower, ate, and tried to go to sleep.  But something, some thought kept her awake.  She's been given a second chance at living.  The OPP tried to kill her but she survived and she's now living life on her own terms.  Before the attack she was trying to please everyone else but now it's about her.  When she told Layla, earlier at the hospital, that she dreamed about marrying John when they were together it didn't strike her then but that was the only time she ever dreamed about marrying anyone, not Dennis, not RJ, not Cristian, not anyone else.  That's not to say that she wants to marry John now, there are so many unknowns between them now, but just the idea that he's the only man that she's ever dreamed about marrying must mean something.  Anyway she's here now because she couldn't sleep and she wanted to check up on him.  She took a chance coming because it isn't visiting hours but it seems that things are looking up in her favor.

 

All the time that Evangeline is thinking John is watching her.  He's so glad that she's all right and that she came back.  Should he tell her what he wanted to say at dinner?  Should he wait?  Would she listen or maybe she might think that whatever he says is because of the medication?  But will he get another opportunity to have just the two of them alone together like this, not including the medical staff coming in and out of the room?  He'll be here in the hospital for a few days and she will be at work so who knows when they will see each other again.

 

Both try to figure if this is the best time to talk so it's no surprise that they start talking at the same time, "Maybe we can talk now about what we were going to discuss at dinner."  They both laugh that they are thinking the same thing at the same time.

 

"You go first John since it was your idea for dinner and you said that you would tell me why you wanted to have dinner with me," Evangeline says as she moves the chair closer to the bed.

 

As has been the occurrence in the past, someone comes in and interrupts them, but unlike the other times the nurse doesn't stay long this time and John prepares to say what he has wanted to say for some time.






Chapter End Notes:

Thnx for reading.  Take care and stay safe!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.