Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

  

Now is always the time

 

(The trials begin.  As previously stated, all publicly recognizable characters are the property of their respective owners.  Livia Frye Cudahy and Jackson Montgomery are characters from ‘All My Children'.  They are residents of Pine Valley, PA which is across the river from Llanview.  Many liberties are taken in describing the court scenes and proceedings.) 

 

Chapter 16

Two months later Natalie Buchanan and Blair Cramer appear in court for trial.  Early in the process the judge merges the cases because the issues in the defendants' cases overlap enough to make a single trial both fair and more efficient. Both of the high-priced defense attorneys request a change of venue for their clients, proposing that they would not be able to find impartial juries in Llanview.  Furthermore they demand that District Attorney Nora Hanen not be allowed to act as prosecutor due to her friendship with both of the alleged victims.  The judge denies the change of venue request but does agree to assign a different prosecutor.  After consulting with lead Judge Livia Frye Cudahy from Pine Valley, DA Jackson Montgomery* is assigned to act as prosecutor.  

Two weeks of witnesses testimony, evidence review, objections made, psychological evaluation results disputed, postponements denied, closing arguments are made and jury deliberations begin.  Two hours later the jury returns with a verdict.

The court room is packed with family members, reporters and spectators.  After reviewing the verdict the judge orders the defendants to stand.  The jury foreperson hands the verdict to the bailiff who hands it to the judge.  The judge reads the verdict, hands it back to the bailiff who returns it to the jury foreperson.

"On the charge of assault with a deadly weapon against the defendant Blair Cramer how do you find?"

"Guilty." The jury foreperson answers. 

"So say you all?" The judge asks of the entire jury.

"Yes, Your Honor."  The entire jury responds.

On the charge of attempted murder against the defendant Blair Cramer how do you find?" 

"Guilty." 

"So say you all?"

 "Yes, Your Honor." 

"On the charge of assault with a deadly weapon against the defendant Natalie Buchanan how do you find?" 

"Guilty."

 "So say you all?"

 "Yes, Your Honor."

 On the charge of attempted murder against the defendant Natalie Buchanan how do you find?"

 "Guilty."

 "So say you all?"

 "Yes, Your Honor."

 A silence falls upon the courtroom.  

 The judge speaks to the defendants and passes sentence.

"Ms. Cramer, you have been found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder.  On the charge of assault you will serve five years in prison and on the charge of attempted murder you will serve 15 years in prison with the possibility of parole.  These sentences are to be served consecutively."

 "Ms. Buchanan, you have been found guilty of assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder.  On the charge of assault you will serve five years in prison and on the charge of attempted murder you will serve 15 years in prison with the possibility of parole.  These sentences are to be served consecutively."

The judge thanks the jury for their time and adjourns the court.  The defendants are immediately taken into custody for transfer to prison.  Their families are distraught and quietly exit the courtroom.  

The defense attorneys leave knowing that they presented their best defense but the evidence against their clients was overwhelming and they had warned their clients that they would probably be found guilty and the probable sentences.  Although they could press for an appeal but they have no grounds for such and even though it would put money in the pockets of the attorneys it would be a waste of time to the courts.

The actions carried out by Natalie and Blair caused ripple effects for so many.  Bo Buchanan, had to testify to the evidence against his niece, Natalie.  On the one hand she is family but on the other she is a defendant.  Vicki Davidson knows Natalie was wrong to do what she did but she had to support her daughter while her brother Todd supported Evangeline.  This trial has torn apart Todd's family.  His children can't understand how their mother could do what she did but they didn't want her to go to prison and they are upset with their father because he supported Evangeline. Todd hopes that they will, in time, realize that they love their father and need him as much as he needs them.

After the trial ends the victims and their families meet together.  They gather at Evangeline's cottage.  There are no pats on the back, no high fives, no laughter and no disparaging remarks about the defendants.  Everyone is simply relieved.  They give thanks that the trial is over, justice was served and now they can move on with their lives.  After a delectable catered meal they leave and Evangeline settles down to unwind.

"Do you want a glass of wine?" he asks her as he prepares to take the last of the garbage bags out to the bin.  

"No, I'm fine.  You can have one if you want," she replies.

Coming back in the house he washes his hands in the sink and moves up behind her, "No, I'm good.  Let's just sit awhile."

She takes his hand and walks with him to the sofa in the living room.  They sit together and enjoy the quiet and the peace.  

"So what do you want to do now?" he asks her as he kisses her cheek.

Turning around to look at him, she traces his lips with her fingers, smiles and says, "Now we have a wedding to plan."  Her fingers are replaced by her lips and in that kiss she says all that he needs to hear.

 

Author's Note:  These two have come a long way from Evangeline ‘not believing in marriage' and John ‘not knowing how to love again' to a totally in love with each other couple.      












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.