Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Now is always the time

 

 

Chapter 2

 

Three months have passed since the attack at Cristian’s art studio and since Evangeline lapsed into a coma.  The Llanview police force has been swamped with following leads on possible suspects.  As all of the victims were ethnic or religious minorities the attack was designated as a ‘hate crime’ and the FBI joined in on the investigation.  Lt. John McBain serves as the Llanview LPD liaison with the FBI agents since he was formerly an FBI agent.  He has made it his mission to find those responsible for this crime while still working on other cases.

 

Although John has not visited Evangeline as much as he would like, he does keep abreast of her condition by talking with his brother Dr. Michael McBain.  Evangeline is no longer in the hospital but at a specialized care facility under twenty-four hour guard.  Michael checks in daily with the medical staff there at the facility.  Even after Evangeline and John’s relationship ended Michael remained friends with Evangeline.

 

The break in the case comes exactly four months to the day of the initial attack.  A fire was set at a warehouse owned by Vincent Jones.  The warehouse stored shipments awaiting distribution.  Warehouse staff had left for the night and the security guards were changing shifts.  Just in those few minutes that it took for the shift change someone started the fire in an area away from the security offices.  What the arsonist did not know was that a vagrant had set up his bedding in that same area and had a clear view of the man planting the chemicals and starting the fire.  The vagrant hid and made his way out of the building just as the flames ignited.  He made his way to the security office and told the guards what he saw.  One of the guards called the fire and police departments and two of the other guards immediately went to the described area and were able to apprehend the arsonist before he made his escape.  The fire department arrived in time to extinguish the flames before they totally consumed the warehouse.  The police took the arsonist into custody.

 

Upon arrival at the police station the arsonist was questioned and it was learned that he was paid for his services and at first opted not to talk anymore.  When the police informed him that he would also be charged with attempted murder he started to ‘sing like a canary’.  He gave up names, telephone numbers, bank accounts and anything he could think of that he could use to make a deal to lessen his sentence.  Upon learning of how well funded and extensive this group was the FBI put a ‘lockdown’ on the case and a ‘gag order’ on the police staff involved in the case.  They wanted an airtight case with no weaknesses.

 

Two months later, after exhaustive searches, surveillance and interviews the cases went to trial.  Some members of the One Pure People (OPP) provided state’s evidence in exchange for lesser sentences while others maintained their innocence.  The trials lasted two weeks and all ended in guilty verdicts.  But that wasn’t the end of it.  Several victims filed civil lawsuits against the leaders of the organization as well as the organization itself.  Those lawsuits ended in judgments for the plaintiffs.  The OPP was now penniless and its leaders were in federal prisons.  Those who plea bargained for lesser sentences still have to serve time, probation and provide community service upon their release.

 

(If not now, then when = the answer is now)






Chapter End Notes:

Thnx for reading.  Really appreciate your support.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.