Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Now is always the time

 

Chapter 6

 

Well it seems that love has several more allies in its corner when it comes to Evangeline and John.  Todd knew about John's visits to Evangeline during her coma.  He made certain that he knew everyone who visited her. He was not taking any chances on any OPP confederates getting into that long-term care facility and causing her any further harm.  Todd hasn't said anything to Evangeline about it nor has he said anything to John about it.  As long as John doesn't cause Evangeline any heartache then he will keep silent.  But, and it's a might big but, Todd knows that Evangeline is still in love with John.  He knew that the only reason that she hooked up with Cristian was because she was so hurt by John's rejection.  Todd also realized that although the attraction that he felt for Evangeline was real it would have destroyed their friendship had they crossed the line over to lovers.  He's glad that they didn't because he would never want to lose her friendship.  Todd does wonder why John has not sought out Evangeline now that she has recovered.  Perhaps it is time for Todd to have a conversation with Lt. McBain of the Llanview Police Department.  Not one to procrastinate Todd goes directly to the police station to talk with John not knowing that John just returned from his lunch meeting with Clay Williamson.  Oh well it looks like it's going to be a busy afternoon for one John McBain.

 

Once John returns from his meeting with Mr. Williamson he works on the files on his desk.  But before he can get too involved with the burglary case file he hears a knock on his door.  Thinking that it's the desk clerk with another file he tells them to ‘enter'.  Looking up he's startled to see Todd Manning.  Never one to miss an opportunity to rile up Todd, John smirks and says, 

 

"So Manning. are you here to give yourself up for all your many crimes?  So your guilty conscience has finally gotten the best of you.  I have my handcuffs ready for you and a jail cell all prepared."

 

Todd, never one to back down from a challenge, smiles and responds, "McBain, on your best day you could never pin anything on me.  You and your rag tail crew aren't fit to wear a badge.  Anyway I'm not here about me."

 

John gets up from his chair, moves around to the front of his desk, sits on it, folds his arms in front of his chest and asks, "Then why are you here Todd?  We are not buddies so I know you did not drop by to ‘check up on me' so what do you want?  I have a lot of work to do so I don't have time for your games."

 

"When are you going to tell Evangeline that you're in love with her and that you want her back?", Todd asks John.

 

John was in the process to turning around to head back to his seat but he stopped in his tracks when he heard Todd's question.  Clay Williamson and now Todd Manning ask him the same thing on the same day.  John thinks to himself, ‘do I have it written on my forehead, I love Evangeline and I want her back?'  John does sit down and leans back in his chair.  He doesn't know what to say.

 

Todd takes John quietness as confirmation of the truth.  Plus he knows that John told Natalie, when he broke up with her, that she's not the one for him and he's in love with someone else and has been for a long time.  Of course his niece didn't believe John.  She told him that she hasn't seen him with anyone else so he was lying.  John didn't argue with her, he simply stressed that he didn't want to be with Natalie anymore.  That was over a year ago and Natalie has tried everything to get him back but John has not budged in his steadfastness, which is quite contradictory to his actions in the past when he would always reconcile with her.

 

"John I know how it is to believe that you don't deserve better than what you have.  I thought that for years and that's why I always went back to Blair.  I was a rapist and so I didn't believe that any self-respecting woman would want me.  Blair wanted me for my money and I wanted someone to want me.  We did this thing of break up and get back together.  When she deserted me during my murder trial that opened my eyes to her.  Then when Evangeline and I grew close I realized that I deserved better.  Evangeline believed in me when I didn't believe in myself.  She fought for me when I gave up fighting."

 

When Todd starts talking about his relationship with Evangeline John feels like someone punched him in the stomach.  He then notices that Todd has stopped talking.  Todd waits for John to focus again on the conversation.

 

"Are you listening to me McBain?  Stay focused.  Evangeline gave me the courage to make a change in my life.  She allowed me to see that I could do better than just settle.  When she was in that coma, I missed her support so much.  I knew that I had to find my son and make a life for him.  I had to make changes in my life and one of those changes was to eliminate negative influences.  My relationship with Blair was one of those negative influences so while searching for my son I set things in motion to divorce Blair, share custody of Starr and Jack and have full custody of my son when I found him.  Blair didn't believe that I would do it just like Natalie didn't believe that you would stay away from her.  Don't make the same mistakes that I made McBain.  Find the person who improves you and believe me when I say there is no one better than Evangeline.  You were almost human when you were with her.  When you two broke up you turned back into your ‘dark, moody and brooding self."

John asks the question that he's wanted the answer to for some time but was afraid to ask, "Manning, why didn't you pursue Evangeline?"

 

Todd looks a little sad when he hears the question but he wants to be honest with John because this conversation is very important to him so he quietly answers, "I wanted to but I wasn't good for her the way I was.  As long as Blair was tied to me I wasn't good for anyone.  I didn't want to do anything to hurt Evangeline and if I couldn't give her all of me then I would not try to have a romantic relationship with her.  Then the attack occurred, I found my son, divorced Blair and built a life with him and my other children.  I had to focus on them and only until recently have I opened myself up to love. Evangeline will always have a special place in my heart but I know that she does not love me as a lover.  She loves me as a friend and I treasure that more than anything."

 

Todd's answer eases John apprehension a little but he still hasn't answered Todd's question of telling Evangeline that he loves her and wants a life with her.  Still contemplating a response John hears Todd say,"Do it soon McBain."  Receiving no reply from John, Todd leaves and returns to his office knowing that he did what he set out to do and only John can decide whether or not to heed the advice given.

 

Once Todd exits the office John reflects on his conversation with Clay Williamson about making the time right to approach Evangeline.  Now Todd tells him to act soon.  John wants to make a move but he's not sure which move to make.      












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.