Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

  

Now is always the time

  

Maybe fate won't wait for these two to make up their minds.  Maybe fate will do a little interceding of its own.

  

Chapter 7  

 

This must be the day for folks to go crazy because the police station is humming with bookings, arrests, and all-around drama.  Entering into this midst of mayhem Evangeline stops by to get a copy of a police report to take with her to court this morning.  She makes her request known to the officer at the desk and waits for his return from the file room.  

 

She sits at one of the chairs in the area and again checks her briefcase to make sure that she has everything that she needs for court.  She realizes that she hasn't spoken much to John since she recovered.  The extent of their interaction has been the occasional hello or how are you.  For some reason she misses talking with him.  Maybe that will change soon.  She's feeling better every day so she'll just be patient.

 

A shadow falls over her.  She looks up and sees Natalie Buchanan standing in front of her.  Not knowing why Natalie is in front of her Evangeline continues sitting and ignores Natalie.  Not one to be ignored Natalie says,

 

"Evangeline, are you here waiting for John?  He's not here.  Do you plan to chase after him now that you and my Uncle Todd are no longer an item and Cristian broke up with you long before the attack?"

 

Not at all surprised by Natalie's scatterbrained accusations Evangeline continues to ignore her.  That only irritates Natalie more and as she starts to raise her hand to slap Evangeline, Evangeline stands, grabs Natalie's hand and menacingly says to her, "If you touch me you will not see daylight for a long time.  This is a new day Natalie and your old trash no longer works here."  Then another hand, from out of nowhere, holds Natalie's other hand in a steel like grip.  "You touch her and you will feel a world of hurt.  Now unless you want to get arrested for assault I suggest that you leave now."  Standing there totally embarrassed as other officers look on, Natalie turns and leaves.

 

Evangeline looks up at John and thinking that he's about to apologize for what Natalie attempted she quickly says, "John you don't need to apologize for Natalie's actions.  She knew full well what she was doing.  I can take care of myself but thank you anyhow."

 

John looks Evangeline up and down and relishes just looking at her.  Evangeline smirks at John checking her out but she doesn't say anything.  Instead John says, "I had no intention of apologizing for Natalie's misbehavior.  That's not my responsibility.  What I will say is that you are looking beautiful and if you are available I would like to take you out to dinner tonight.  Oh, by the way here's the file you were waiting for Officer Burton to bring to you.  I was in the file room and he told me that you wanted it so I'm making a personal delivery."

 

"Who are you and what have you done to Lt. McBain?" Evangeline jokes.  John seizes that moment, "Just have dinner with me tonight and I will explain everything.  There's no better time than the present but we both have work to do so it will have to wait until this evening.  Please Evangeline."

 

Intrigued by his request Evangeline agrees to meet him but suggests not going to the Palace or any of the other regular places.  John agrees and tells her he will make all of the arrangements and call her with the time and address.  Checking her watch she sees that court will start soon and she needs to leave right now in order to arrive on time.  Saying goodbye she leaves John standing in the bullpen with a huge smile on his face.  

 

 

Making it to court on time and winning her client's case puts Evangeline in a very good mood.  After the earlier encounter with Natalie she thought that it would darken her mood but it doesn't and she's thankful for that change in her.  Before, such encounters would have a lingering effect on her but now they roll off like ‘water on a duck's back'.  Checking her schedule she sees that she has a few moments before her next court session but as she turns to walk to the next courtroom someone jerks her around to face them.

 

"Vangaleen, don't think that you will get away with this.  Todd is mine, will always be mine and your little ‘woe is me' act isn't going to change that.  You are pathetic.  Nobody wants you.  John left you, Cristian left you and Todd is confused.  He has another girlfriend but he still makes ‘googly eyes' at you," Blair practically screams as she tightens her grip on Evangeline's arm.  

 

Grabbing Blair's hand by the wrist Evangeline squeezes so hard she almost breaks Blair's wrist.  In an effort to free herself, Blair raises her other hand to slap Evangeline.  (What is it today with people trying to slap Evangeline?)  But before Blair can raise her hand it is caught in mid-air and a body encloses Blair and with enough force and heat to melt metal says, "Let her go or you are dead."  Blair recognizes that voice and knows that he will do what he says.

 

Todd removes Blair's hand from Evangeline's arm and pulls her away to a corner in the hall.  Evangeline stands massaging her arm to rub away the pain.  She has grounds for an assault case and she has witnesses, but, she doesn't' want to pursue it as she doesn't want to cause any problems for Todd.  What she does though is walk up to Blair and stands face to face with her and says as forcefully as she can, "That's your one ‘get out of jail free card'.  Don't ever touch me again because it will be the last thing that you do.  That is not a threat, that is a promise.  You may think that you are ‘all that and a bag of chips' but I'm here to let you know that no longer will I allow your nonsense.  Grow up and realize that the man doesn't want you.  Don't take your anger about that out on me.  You don't want a cat fight with me.  I don't just have claws, I have fangs.  Take heed Blair.  I never bluff so take my words to the bank.  Don't ‘write a check your behind can't cash'."  Evangeline looks at Todd and he nods his pleasure in her response.  She walks away to her next court case.

 

Just before she enters the courtroom for her next case her phone rings.

 

"Hello."

 

"Are you all right. I just heard about Blair's attack."

 

"John I'm fine.  Goodness gracious news travels fast."

 

"Are we still on for tonight?"

 

"Yes, but I have a few more hours of work ahead of me.  I'll call you when I'm done.  When and where are we going to eat?

 

"We have reservations at 7 p.m. at Cassidy's in the warehouse district.  I'll see you there."

 

"Okay I will see you then John."

 

Evangeline continues on her day with a smile on her face not knowing that John has the same smile on his face for the remainder of his day.

 

 

 

 

(A/N: Well, well, well, John and Todd to the rescue but Evangeline clearly does not need rescuing but it was so chivalrous of them to rush into the mix.  Our girl has a little more sass to her and willing to back it up with some action.  You go girl!)












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.