Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Now is always the time

  

Chapter 9

 

Finally Michael returns and takes Evangeline and Layla to John's room.  On the way Michael explains that John is progressing well but may still be a little groggy.  Just as they round the corner to John's room Michael's pager beeps and he leaves the Williamson sisters at John's door so that he can answer his page.  Layla goes in with Evangeline so that she can offer her support should she need it.  

 

The lights are muted in the room and Evangeline slowly approaches the bed.  She doesn't want to wake John if he's sleeping because he needs his rest as any surgery can be taxing on the body.  She views the monitors beeping with John's vital statistics of blood pressure, pulse, etc.  Although she would prefer that he not be here she's just glad that he is alive.  ‘How could this happen?' she thinks.  Pulling a chair up next to the bed she sits and looks at him.  It's been a long time since she's seen him asleep, years really.  It seems so long ago and she never envisioned this scenario. 

 

During their time together Evangeline and John never talked about marriage other than the times she said that she was afraid of marriage and that ‘marriage is one thing but love is everything'.  If she was really truthful with herself she did have one dream about them marrying and having a life together and in that dream there was a glimpse of what her life would be with a policeman.  Being a policeman is a dangerous job and the odds of John getting injured are substantial but her dream did not involve such a scene.  It then would have changed from a dream to a nightmare.  She remembers waking up from that dream and rolling over and snuggling with John, kissing his neck, her fingers making trails down his front to . . .  Coming out of that daydream she finds Layla looking at her and realizes that her fingers are on John's leg ‘making trails'.

 

"Evangeline, Evangeline," Layla smirks as she watches her sister jump and move her hand back to her lap.  "What were you thinking about girl?  You know it's against the law to grope an unconscious person.  Don't want to get arrested now do you?"  Layla laughs as she watches the expressions pass over her sister's face.  She's knows that this is difficult for Evangeline.  Not only because John is hurt but because it brings up memories of her own time in a medical facility during rehab from her coma.  "It's all right Evangeline.  I understand.  I can testify that they were only ‘loving touches'.  I know that this is hard for you Sis.  I'm here for you.  Do you want to talk about it?"

 

Evangeline looks at her sister totally embarrassed by her actions but knows that Layla will understand once she explains.  "Layla, I've never told anyone about this but I did at one time dream of being married to John.  I loved him Layla and although I didn't put much faith in marriage, with the divorce rate the way that it is, I evidently, in my subconscious, thought they he and I could make it work between us.  It was just a dream that I had one night.  I guess that's what brought that on, remembering that dream.  There were times that we were so connected it seemed like he was a part of me and I was a part of him but then it was if I didn't know him at all.  He'd let me see a brief glimpse of the real him and then he would hide himself from me.  That's the best way that I can explain it Layla.  I don't really want to talk about it anymore."

 

"That's fine Sis.  So tell me about this dinner tonight," Layla asks as she pulls up a chair to sit by Evangeline. Not knowing really what to say about the dinner because she wasn't sure herself what it meant Evangeline says, "John just out of the blue asked me to have dinner with him.  I didn't see any harm in it so I agreed to meet him.  We hadn't spoken in some time and Layla it is really strange to say but I have missed talking with John.  When we were together, no, let me correct that, even when we weren't together we would talk and offer our perspectives on things and I know it helped me many times and he told me that it helped him too.  Being in law enforcement there are some topics that one can't discuss with the general public so we became sounding boards for each other.  I don't know if that's what he wanted to talk about tonight but I was willing to listen.  In that he initiated the effort is a huge thing because you know John is not one for talking.  Anyway, we need him to get better now and that is the most important thing.  Right?"  Evangeline says as she takes John's hand and squeezes it.  

 

Michael returns and Layla and Evangeline take that to mean it is time for them to go.  Michael hugs Evangeline and tells her that he will keep her updated on John's condition.  Layla thanks Michael for supporting her sister and she and Evangeline leave the hospital.  Layla drives Evangeline to pick up her car at the restaurant and they each go their separate ways.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.