Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Summary:

Two Vulcan aides were updating T'Amanda on the wedding reception on Altair VI. The majority of the work was done; they were just finalizing the details of the table seatings and the itinerary. The reception was a one-day event, but it was billed as the gala of the century. The wedding of Ambassador Sarek and Lady Amanda's only child was to be celebrated, and the ambassador and Commander Spock were to be honored for their service to Vulcan and the Federation. The President of the Federation, Demetrio, was ecstatic about it. He hadn't known the two people were related.

Beta Reader: Jsilver2000

 

 

See the source image

See the source image

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Week 2: On Vulcan-The Message

________________

 

Earth: San Francisco; Headquarters of Federation of Planets:

President Demetrio had heard of Commander Spock's achievements and accomplishments. When he received his invitation to the reception, he com-linked Sarek to give him his congratulations.

"Greetings, Ambassador Sarek."

"Greetings, President Demetrio. How can I serve you?"

"Ambassador Sarek, you amaze me again! First, I was unaware you had a son in Starfleet, and second, I was astonished to learn that he is Commander Spock of the Enterprise. I am aware that he and Captain Kirk have been instrumental in resolving many of the Federation's conflicts."

"President Demetrio, Vulcans are not known for announcing family connections. But we do honor family values as a race."

"How is your wife, Amanda?"

"She is currently addressing the reception issues and confirming guest acceptances."

"How is that going? Do you need any assistance, Sarek?"

"Not at the moment, President Demetrio. All aspects of this event have been delegated."

"Sarek, you have no idea of the importance of your son's wedding reception. It will symbolize unity among the Federation races and strengthen the alliances that are key to this organization."

Sarek lifted an eyebrow.

"President Demetrio, we are not celebrating their marriage to reinforce alliances; my son has married a female of his choice. To demonstrate our acceptance of the match and as part of our tradition, my wife has chosen to express her elation with the union."

Demetrio chuckled at Sarek's response.

"Oh, I see-my apologies, Sarek."

"Apologies are not necessary. I merely explained to clarify our intentions with this event."

"Well, whatever your reasons, I believe it will turn into something incredible for all planetary unions."

Sarek decided to change the topic, he found it illogical to discuss his family.

"President Demetrio, I have completed the proposals for the upcoming meetings between the planetary delegations of Eminiar VII and Vendikar."[1]

"Thank you, Ambassador Sarek. This is a delicate situation between two related civilizations. I want both you and Ambassador Fox to review the proposals and present them to both delegations. I refuse to let those two planets become part of the Federation unless those concessions are implemented. And thank you for supporting Ambassador Fox while he has been recovering from his illness."

"I agree. Hostilities between them must cease if they desire to continue as living species and as civilizations."

"Thank you again, Ambassador Sarek. I will see you at the appointed date. I again offer my congratulation on Commander Spock's wedding."

"Live long and prosper, Mr. President."

Sarek bowed his head and signed off. Sarek was now free to focus on Vulcan's issue that would be revealed once Spock and Nyota arrive in the following week. Sarek could not dispute that his son had accomplished a lot in the name of his planet and that he was widely recognized for his position in Starfleet-or the fact that his son's status in the eyes of the Vulcan people had risen greatly. Sarek was aware that opinions of Spock had shifted considerably since he had joined Starfleet and that Spock was no longer considered a novelty but a true Vulcan. Sarek's concern now was in regard to Spock's telepathic powers. He had first noticed them when he opened the family bond and observed their strength. This was later confirmed by the healers who examined Spock before he started school. Even Sybok's telepathic powers-though considerable-were not as strong as Spock's. Which linage did they develop from? Sarek wondered.


Federation of Planets Headquarters: Office of President Demetrios:

Carlos Rivera had been an aide to the president for four years. He enjoyed the hectic life. He was constantly observing different civilizations and learning much that could advance his career. President Demetrios had treated him with respect, and Carlos found his position rewarding. He came in to the president's office with a Padd and presented it to the president, standing next to his desk.

"Mr. President, I have your agenda ready for review."

Demetrios took the Padd and scanned it quickly.

"Carlos, I have to make some changes to my schedule. Vulcan has invited me and other dignitaries to a wedding reception on Altair VI on this date, and I will be there. This was a personal invitation from Vulcan, and I do not want to disappoint them. They have been our strongest ally throughout the history of the Federation. I need you to make the arrangements."

Demetrios typed in the invitation code, and the date and place were displayed on the Padd. Then he handed it back to Carlos.

"Please make arrangements around this schedule."

"Yes, Mr. President. Right away."

Carlos started to leave.

"Carlos, make sure Starfleet Command has my itinerary as well."

"Yes, sir."

"Thank you, Carlos."

Demetrios leaned back in his chair and reflected on what Sarek had said. Sarek had failed to see that the wedding reception for his son would have great influence on the Federation. It reflected on Sarek's work as well; these two strong-minded, incredible men were at the center of the Federation's civilization. This marriage would have an important impact on all cultures within the Federation and would truly represent unity and diversity. This is perfect.


Meanwhile on Vulcan:

Stonn stood six-foot-two, with broad shoulders. At this moment he didn't feel like a Vulcan warrior; his emotions and thoughts were uneasy. Since his marriage to T'Pring, he had been ready to stand guard against any male's challenge for his wife. He had desired her way before she was betrothed to Spock as a child. The Kal-i-farr ceremony had diminished his clan's standing, as well as dealing a blow to his ego. The fact that T'Pring had chosen the human over him had placed him in an unfavorable light in the view of other Vulcans. He had heard the whispers questioning the validity of the challenge and his valor. They had haunted him since their bonding-he was prepared to fight for T'Pring by her request and for her honor. He found T'Pring a compatible match; he appreciated her intelligence and beauty. He was aware of her accomplishments in her research of Vulcan biology. She was an excellent choice for a wife; they had desired each other against the odds of her bonding/child marriage to Spock.

Many had stated that Spock was a poor match for T'Pring due to his human heritage. Many had predicted that Spock would be unable to master his emotions and develop to his full potential as a Vulcan. Some had questioned his intelligence, but only when he was very young; he had quickly shown that his was a mind to be reckoned with. And now, at this very moment, Spock was being highly praised for his achievements, and a special wedding reception was being arranged to celebrate his bonding to a Terran. This puzzled Stonn: that the early attitudes of Vulcans toward Spock-resentment and disdain-had now changed to acceptance and pride. Even his peers had taken a different view of his bondmate and marriage. Had a Vulcan male gone to great lengths to secure a female for bonding or the reverse? Indeed, T'Pring had gone to great lengths (flouting Vulcan customs) to bond to him in order to avoid marriage to Spock.

Stonn had always wondered whether, if the challenge had stood, he could have bested Spock. If the plak tow had run deep in him, then would Spock and he have been equals in the match? He would never know; the opportunity was never presented to him-it was taken from him by his wife. Would Spock have had the upper hand if they had fought? With Spock's greater experience in combat, would he have overpowered him and taken his life? Had T'Pring feared that outcome? Was that why she chose the human? Fear is something a Vulcan dare not admit; he needed to inquire about her decision.

Stonn approached his wife in their office, where she was reading her Padd. She looked up toward her husband, extended two fingers, and touched her husband's.

"T'Pring, we must talk," Stonn said, taking a seat next to her. "My wife, it is imperative that we attend the wedding reception. You have expressed through our bond your reluctance."

"I do not wish to attend. I find the whole event of this wedding reception offensive and illogical."

"Commander Spock has achieved much for the greater good of all Vulcans."

T'Pring glared at her husband. "You agree with the Vulcan High Command?"

"It does not matter; it is required that we attend as a clan."

T'Pring held her head up and addressed her husband: "I do not understand why this subject needed attention, Stonn."

"I am requesting clarification, T'Pring, as your bondmate."

T'Pring looked down and folded her hands in her lap.

"Spock-Spock and I never agreed to our childhood bond. He was always distant in our relationship. I made the choice to have it challenged on our kal'i'farr."

"But that is acceptable during those times. Children are distant at first and then confirm their bond during the kal'i'farr."

"Must this be discussed now, after we have been bonded since our ceremony?" T'Pring asked, trying again to deflect her husband's questions.

"Yes, I require clarification on your choice-I have delayed the question since our bonding, T'Pring. Before the kal'i'farr, we planned in detail our challenge to Spock-that I would be the chosen one. Why did you change the plan?" Many times Stonn had sought this answer, but he had not dared to probe her thoughts, out of respect.

"I saw an alternative that would best suit the kal'i'fee."

"I do not understand. Why would you desire to see the Terran captain killed by Spock?" :Stonn asked with an arched brow.

"My change of plans was flawless; it served its purpose. You became the victor-my bondmate."

T'Pring held her head up high, proud of her accomplishment and looked directly into Stonn's eyes.

"Affirmative, I am your bondmate-but why did you choose the Terran captain when you were aware I was the best qualified for the challenge?"

T'Pring had no words to explain her decision; she knew the answer and refused to comply with her husband's request. Her intense prejudice toward Spock's heritage was no longer socially acceptable among Vulcans, so she had buried it deep within her mind so that not even Stonn would ever become aware of it.

"Stonn, the decision I made was a logical one. I explained this to Spock when he requested my reasons for the kal'i'fee. I will express again what transpired with Spock. I had informed him that I wanted you as my consort. If Spock had won, he would have left me here with his name and property while he continued his legend among our people and the universe. As I explained to you before our courtship, I had no desire to be bonded to such a male, and I decided to become your consort in his absence. When I chose the Terran captain, my intent was to upset the balance of the situation. If the Terran had been the victor, he would have had no desire for a Vulcan wife, and he too would have freed me from Spock's bond and the kal'i'farr. Therefore, you, Stonn, would be the only suitor left and would have become my bondmate."

"Your change of plans has placed me in a problematic position, T'Pring. I have become your bondmate, but not through victory in the kal'i'fee."

"Spock, himself, informed me that my plan was logically flawless." T'Pring stood up, becoming upset over the questioning of her decision. She approached her husband, placing her hand on his shoulder, trying to redirect his inquiry.

"My adun-we are together now. What happened before does not matter-I have chosen you as my mate above all others."

Stonn stood up and pressed his fingers against his wife's, their emotions passed through the connection. Stonn would accept her answer, for now, knowing there was more to the situation. Was she trying to protect him, but failing to consider how her decision reflected on him and his standing as a Vulcan male?

"One day, adun, I would like to announce the conception of our first child-this will bring great honor to our clan and to you." T'Pring looked into his eyes, trying to redirect his concerns away from his performance as a Vulcan male.

T'Pring blocked her thoughts from her husband; she had to calm him. She did not want him to know her real reason for their marriage; she had to control her emotions.


Federation of Planet Headquarters: A few days later;

Carlos Rivera placed his Padd on his desk and continued to work on other priorities. Kim Kelly, a local entertainment reporter came by to check on upcoming high-profile events. She was well known for getting exclusive interviews with entertainment celebrities. For Kim to keep her status among her peers, she needed something big. She had known Carlos for some time and considered him a good friend; she was hoping to get a good story from an old friend.

Kim flopped down on one of the nearby chair: "Hey ya, Carlos, gotta bone to throw me?"

"Nothing really-just ending my day; how about you?" Carlos gave Kim a big smile.

"Just the same ol' celebrities trying to steal each other's thunder."

Carlos laughed: "Is it that boring out there?"

"Well, here on Earth, it's quiet-I'm stuck. But out there in space is the real news. But other planets don't gossip the way we do-they are so sophisticated."

Carlos skimmed through his work and wondered if Ambassador Sarek's party was newsworthy. He read the invitation carefully. It did say private and closed to the public. Usually, the President would state that to him before he ventured into disclosure territory.

"Well, I don't know if it's anything, but the president is invited to a wedding reception on Altair VI."

That got Kim's attention: "Whose wedding reception? And why all the way out there?"

"It's Ambassador Sarek's son's wedding reception."

"The Ambassador Sarek who was once the ambassador to Earth?"

"Yep-his son got married recently, and the reception will be on Altair VI."

"I didn't know he had a son." That got Kim's attention and sat up.

"Yes, I think he is in Starfleet."

Kim took out her Padd and looked up Ambassador Sarek and family. She read the brief biography of the man. Then Kim continued to read who the ambassador had married and her mouth dropped open.

"You gotta be kidding me!"

Carlos looked at her quizzically and asked, "What? What did you find?"

"Ambassador Sarek is married to Amanda Grayson! WOW!"

Kim searched the archives for news articles about their marriage. "This is great news-wow! They made headlines with their marriage about forty years ago."

"I didn't know he was married to a Terran."

"That's because we're stuck on Earth, Carlos-boring!"

Kim turned to Carlos: "When is this reception?"

Carlos searched his Padd: "According to the invitation, it's about two weeks away."

Kim jumped up and kissed Carlos on the cheek: "Carlos, you just saved my job! This is big news!"

"How so?"

"Ambassador Sarek and Amanda Grayson were the couple that engaged in the first interracial marriage between a Vulcan and a Terran, and it was a HUGE to-do back then. Some people were for the marriage because they thought it was romantic, and some people were against it because of Vulcans' demeanor-they didn't think a Vulcan could love another person. And back then, many people felt Vulcans couldn't be trusted-it was a huge scandal, and they accused him of brainwashing her. People back then were full of all kinds of prejudice and stuff."

"Wow-I wonder why I haven't heard about it?"

"Well, it's been almost forty years; you and I weren't even born yet. What is his son's name and who did he marry?"

Carlos tapped his Padd for information. "His son is Commander Spock and he married Nyota Uhura."

Kim typed both names into her Padd: "Rats-they're both in Starfleet; that gives me limited sources. But thank you, Carlos! This is big news! I'm going to get the exclusive on this story."

Kim packed her Padd and left to find her boss.

A half-hour later, Kim sat in her boss's office.

"I want to have the exclusive rights to this story-it's going to be big!"

"I remember this story-it WAS big. I was just out of college when their engagement was announced. Amanda Grayson was a catch! I've heard back then that a lot of men had tried to date her. She did do some work for the diplomatic corps, specializing in linguistics. Kelly, this news will put WEN (World Entertainment News) back on top! How much information can you get?"

"I need to call in some favors-the couple is in Starfleet, and they are limited to giving background on their officers."

"Great! Get the information ready in thirty minutes and be prepared to broadcast live with the news before the other networks find out."

"I'm on it, boss!" Kim jumped from her chair to get ready to anchor the breaking news of the galaxy.

Sometime later, WEN broadcast the following announcement:

"Good evening. This is Kim Kelly of World Entertainment News. I have an exciting announcement from the United Federation of Planets. If you remember, about forty years ago, a Vulcan ambassador who was once stationed here on Earth, Ambassador Sarek, was best known for his diplomacy in settling interplanetary disputes for the Federation. Then out of the blue he up and married a schoolteacher and expert xeno-linguist by the name of Amanda Grayson, who at the time was Earth's most eligible bachelorette and was working for the Federation's diplomatic corps. No one knew that they were dating; they hadn't even been seen together as a couple. When the story broke, Ms. Grayson was whisked away to Vulcan and never heard from again. Many said it was the most romantic love story of the century; others were concerned about the cloud of mystery. Here are some archival photos of Ambassador Sarek and Ms. Grayson's courtship. Many had doubted their relationship would last, but their marriage has stood the test of time.

"It has been reported that Amanda Grayson attended most of the diplomatic engagements her husband was assigned to as part of the linguistics team. Well, a few years later, Ms. Grayson gave birth to a son, who somehow ended up at Starfleet Academy and currently serves on a starship in space. Well, ladies and gentlemen, Ambassador Sarek and Amanda Grayson as a couple have endured scandal and criticism, and did not just survive, but actually thrived! They have now announced the marriage of their son. That's right-this famous couple had a son who grew up to become Commander Spock of the starship Enterprise. And somewhere out in space, Commander Spock has married a Terran woman himself. Oh, my-there seems to be a tradition in this family for Vulcan men to take a liking to Terran women. The family is planning a wedding reception on Altair VI, and only the who's whos of the Federation are invited. That's right! It's exclusive; only the elite are invited, including the president of the Federation and many high-ranking dignitaries. Who did Commander Spock marry? That's part of the mystery-she hails from the United States of Africa-a Nyota Uhura. She too is a member of Starfleet. I believe another love story is in the making, everyone! Commander Spock and Nyota Uhura-wherever you are-congratulations! This is Kim Kelly from WEN saying goodnight!"

The other news media quickly picked up the exciting news, rehashing Sarek and Amanda's love story as a backdrop to their son's marriage. People were amazed that another Vulcan had married another Terran woman, and speculation started to stir. People wanted to know who Spock and Nyota were. Starfleet didn't have much to release on the couple, only the facts of their graduation from the Academy and fields of research, along with the bare bones of their official service records. So the media plastered their Academy pictures across the galaxy as part of the news blitz. The news quickly traveled across the globe. People wanted to know more about the mystery couple. Others sought to be invited to the wedding reception, messaging the Vulcan embassy on each continent and only finding frustration. It was truly a who's who guest list, and few people qualified.

Kim Kelly was desperate; she had broken the story, but now she needed to get to Altair VI for the exclusive event.

Kim visited Carlos again, hoping to get an extra ticket or access to the planet. The media circus bombarded Starfleet Academy and Command for information about the married couple. The story was broadcast across the Alpha quadrant. Kim was hoping her relationship with Carlos would help her get to the event of the century:

"Carlos, please! I'm begging you! How can I get there?"

"I'm sorry, but Vulcan has the master guest list; only they can authorize your ticket!"

"I can't believe it! The love story of a lifetime, and I can't get there!" Kim stamped her foot hard in disappointment.

Kim turned to Carlos and looked him straight in the eye: "What about you? Are you going with the president?"

"No, not even me. I can't help you, Kim."

Kim took a deep breath and pouted: "I've tried to get an appointment with someone at the Vulcan embassy-nada. This could boost my career."

"What about Starfleet? Have you tried them?"

"Yeah-it's the same thing. I've got to find a way to get to Altair VI!"

"Sorry, I can't help you. So what happens next?"

"I'm going to the United States of Africa to find Nyota Uhura's family. Her file says she has a mother living in Grahamstown and working as a professor."

"Well, maybe it will be better to have an interview with her mother."

"Hmm, maybe if I play my cards right, she'll like me and take me along!"

"Good luck with that," Carlos said sarcastically.

"But it's worth a try!" Kim grabbed her Padd and headed out the door toward her last opportunity to find her way to Altair VI. "See ya, Carlos! Wish me luck!"

Carlos watched Kim walk out the door, shaking his head and wondering what all the fuss was about.


Meanwhile, at the Vulcan Embassy:

Multiple media outlets were camped outside the embassy compound, trying to get a comment about Ambassador Sarek's son's wedding reception. Guards were posted at the gates to keep unwanted guests from bombarding the embassy aides with questions.

T'Zora, one of the aides in the embassy, walked down the hall, carrying a Padd in her hand. She tapped lightly on the door to gain entrance to meet with Ambassador Sern. T'Zora stood in the presence of the ambassador and two other aides; she gave a slight bow and the standard greeting to the three men.

"Ambassador Sern, excuse the interruption. The Terran media are requesting comments from you on S'haile Spock's wedding reception. They are-quite persistent."

"Terran media can be irritating with their requests for information that we as Vulcans consider to be private." Sern turned to his other aides: "We are waiting for instructions from the Vulcan High Command about this situation."

Semek commented on the situation: "I do not understand the Terrans' fascination with the details of someone else's family or personal life."

"I agree; it is most illogical," Stinek added.

Sern stated: "Commander Spock's recent bond to a Terran is an interesting event on Earth that Terrans find fascinating. Also, he is being recognized by Vulcan society for his accomplishments. If the reports are correct, Commander Spock was instrumental in determining the cause of the tragic loss of the Intrepid and destroying the creature before it could cause more harm."

"Yes, I agree. It was a great loss that we all felt," T'Zora said.

"Many continue to mourn those lost in the event; those losses extended to the Vulcan High Command," Semek added.

Ambassador Sern turned and addressed T'Zora: "It is in our best interests that you indicate to the media that at this time the Vulcan Embassy has no comment on the matter. We will continue to monitor the Terran media on the subject until we hear from the Vulcan High Command."

"Yes, Ambassador. I will convey the message."

T'Zora bowed and gave the departing salute before leaving to confront the media. As she walked out of the office, she decided that, rather than responding live to reporters' questions, she would prepare a formal vid to explain the embassy's stance on the matter, thereby avoiding any confrontation with irrational humans. It was her desire to one day meet the legendary Commander Spock. She had briefly met Ambassador Sarek two years ago when she was on her way to Earth. T'Zora decided to boost the image of the S'chn T'gai clan to improve understanding and raise the status of Vulcan culture-and to combat the misinformation that was often presented by Earth media. She began composing a statement that would explain and clarify her people's customs and the need for privacy in Vulcan culture.

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

[1]Star Trek, the Original Series, "A Taste of Armageddon."

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.