Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: Jsilver2000    

Summary: Saana was staying at the Vulcan Embassy, where she continued to learn Vulcansu. She still carried bitterness against Starfleet and had rebuffed the first two Starfleet officers who had come to offer their services. But Saana's feelings were in flux after she had lunch with Admiral Chester Nimitz. Saana was about to meet her son-in-law for the first time.    




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Week 3: Earth Life Gets Interesting-continuation

Saana quickly walked from the elevator to her suite, went to the com-link on her desk, and typed in her code. She was so excited to finally reach Nyota for the first time since she told her that she was married. She sat at the computer waiting for the channel to connect. Saana's excitement soared as she remembered seeing her daughter, accompanied by her best friend, Charlene, telling her about the wedding. Then the com-link connected, and Saana got quite a surprise: the first live view of her son-in-law, Spock. Saana admired his arched eyebrows, pointed ears, and thoughtful expression. He didn't smile, yet he somehow managed to express a quiet, but welcoming, demeanor.

"Greetings, Professor Uhura," Spock said, raising his hand in the ta'al.

Raising her own hand, Saana took a deep breath and concentrated on her greeting: "Dif-tor heh smusma [Live long and prosper].

Spock raised a brow, both astonished and touched by the effort that she had made to achieve her perfect pronunciation; he bowed his head in acknowledgment and returned the greeting in Vulcansu: "Sochya eh dif [Peace and long life]."

Spock was surprised at how much his Nyota resembled her mother-the same smooth coffee-colored skin and wide, dark brown eyes. The resemblance was uncanny; Saana was a beautiful version of his Nyota; the only difference was the gray shading of her hair.

Saana continued to speak in Vulcansu: "It is an honor to meet you, Commander Spock."

"The honor is mine, Professor Uhura. Please, you may call me Spock. Also, I wish to ask for your forgiveness for not informing you of my intent to ask for your daughter's hand. I know that in the Bantu cultures, it is customary to ask for parental consent to marriage." Spock felt he and Nyota had done the right thing, but he was concerned that having a secret wedding would appear disrespectful.

"Spock, it is perfectly understandable. Nyota explained it to me a couple of months ago when she told me you were married secretly. I'm happy that you are looking out for her now and making her feel safe. I am blessed that you two found each other. So I thank you!"

"How can I be of service?"

"Is Nyota with you?"

Spock switched to Standard: "One moment please." He got up to find Nyota who was working on one of her journals; a moment later, he returned to the monitor with her and she sat in front of the monitor while he stood behind her. Nyota gave her mother a dazzling smile:

"Mama! This is a surprise! How are you?"

Spock started to feel uncomfortable; he had heard Nyota address her mother with a Terran endearment. He expressed his concern through their bond: "I am uncomfortable addressing your mother with that title, my wife.'"

"Please call her Mother Uhura-you are part of my family."

Spock considered it and found it acceptable.

Saana scowled for a moment and then replied: "I'm doing better now, but earlier this week that was a loaded question!"

"Professor Uhura, I have noticed that you are on a Vulcan embassy frequency," Spock observed.

"You are right, Spock. I am living at the Vulcan Embassy in San Francisco, thanks to our Earth media, which have been hounding me for information about you two! If it weren't for Spock's parents, I would've been run over by the mob of reporters."

"Mama, that's terrible to hear! I'm so sorry."

Saana took a quick breath and smiled widely: "But now I am almost ready to leave on a transport to Vulcan to see you both! The Embassy brought me here to make my transport easier, but mostly to help me avoid the harassment I've been receiving. Now I'm just waiting for clearance. I'm so excited, I've never been to Vulcan!"

Spock and Nyota looked at each other. Saana smiled at Spock's raised eyebrow.

"Do you know that we are on our way to Vulcan too?" Nyota asked.

Spock saw the excitement in Saana's face and realized that his parents had made arrangements for all of them to rendezvous before the reception. They were only days from arrival. Things had progressed faster than he had thought.

"Professor Uhura, you've been in contact with my parents?" "Mother Uhura, Spock!" Nyota corrected him through their bond.

"Well, yes; mostly your mother. What a wonderful woman your mother is! I consider her my friend. She's primarily responsible for arranging for me to travel to Vulcan, and I assume for my accommodations here at the Vulcan Embassy! I have been treated with respect here, and the ambassador's aides, Stinek and Semek, have been helping me practice my Vulcansu. But enough about me! Please tell me how you two are doing!"

"Well, the crew is treating us differently now because they've found out Spock is a prince."

"I am not a prince."

Nyota glanced up at her husband with a smile: "According to Starfleet you are!"

"The social media is saying that here as well-that you are some sort of prince-S'haile is the term they're using," Saana added.

Spock rolled his eyes and sighed:

"The term simply refers to my status within my clan."

Both women just smiled.

"Captain Kirk also let me take command of the Enterprise under Spock's guidance, and I did really well."

"WOW, that huge ship?" Saana asked, gasping and clasping her hands together: "I'm so proud of you!"

"Nyota performed as well as any starship officer," Spock added.

"You two look so nice together-and cute!" Saana said, giggling.

Nyota laughed and looked up at Spock just in time to see him roll his eyes again.

Saana continued to smile at the two of them: "How is married life so far?"

Nyota glanced up at Spock again, batting her eyes; one of his brows rose.

"He's a wonderful man, and we don't let married life keep us from carrying out our duties."

"I can see that! At least I don't have to wait to get to Vulcan to see Spock; it is so great to meet you, Spock! I wondered after your announcement if I would ever see the two of you. I know that exploration takes you far away from home, and that kind of worried me. But I am thrilled that I'll get to see you sometime next week!" Saana said happily.

Nyota noticed that her mother was very talkative and seemed to have a glow about her, something that she had not seen in a long time.

"Mama, you-you look different," Nyota said, hoping Saana would give her the reason for her more positive outlook.

Saana felt her face flush: "It's as if she can read my mind." A moment later, Saana realized that two men had just popped into her head.

"I do?" she asked, stalling for time.

"Yes, you look-you look happy."

"Oh, I'm just enjoying my stay here at the embassy and waiting for the documents to clear so I can travel to Vulcan. But I do need a favor from the two of you; this is the reason I contacted you."

"How can we help you?" Spock asked.

Saana looked at Spock and smiled: "Spock, your mother shared with me how the media reacted to your parents' courtship and how they gave them a hard time. I just can't believe what they are doing to the two of you."

"My parents told me that some unpleasant incidents transpired."

"Nyota, they found one of your old Academy pictures and plastered it all over the world."

"Oh no! Not that old thing!" Nyota exclaimed, shaking her head.

"Yep! And they asked me intrusive questions about your relationship; they were mean and nosy! I was wondering whether you would give your permission to use one of the holo-pics from your wedding so I can include it with a truthful account of your relationship and wedding that I am writing to set the record straight and respond to the disrespect the media have shown you."

Nyota felt sad that prejudice was still an issue among species. Humanity's entrance into space had put somewhat of a damper on it on Earth, but some people still disapproved of interspecies relationships. "But when you are in space, people of all species need to depend on each other in life-and-death situations, regardless of whether they like you or not. Clinging to prejudice is a luxury that spacefaring people didn't have," Nyota thought. Hearing that people on Earth-her own planet-were making racist remarks about who she had married was upsetting and disappointing. Nyota projected her thoughts to Spock. "Kaiidth" [what is, is] was all he could think.

"Of course, Mama, if it would help our case."

"Thank you both! There's nothing more powerful than the pen! I will give them a piece of my mind!" Saana said determinedly. "I won't keep you, since I'll be seeing you soon. Then you can give me all the details of your wedding!"

Spock spoke solemnly: "The honor will be ours, Mother Uhura." Through their bond, he could sense Nyota's pleasure at hearing this.

"Yes, it seems this reception has turned into a big celebration!" Nyota added.

"Has it?"

"Yes, they are making sure that Spock and I get back to Vulcan in time."

"Sounds like a plan! I am really excited!"

Spock tugged on their bond, meaning it was time to go.

"Mama, we have to leave, but I want to thank you for writing the article on our behalf."

"It's no problem. Take care, you two! See you next week. God Bless!" Saana faded from the monitor.

"Thank you for addressing my mother that way, Ashayam [Beloved]. It was perfect," Nyota said, extending two fingers toward him. Spock reciprocated the gesture.


Saana went to work on her computer, searching for a media outlet that would present her family properly; after a thorough search, she found one that she thought was trustworthy and appropriate. She wrote a long article about interspecies diversity and prejudice, making the point that the loneliness and dangers of space don't discriminate on the basis of the color of skin or blood. She wrote a well-researched article, giving the details of Earth's history as examples to drive her points. She was at it for hours, until she found just the right approach and tone. Saana downloaded Spock and Nyota's wedding vid, which showcased the diversity of the crew. Then she sent a com-link to the online magazine focusing on weddings and submitted the article to their editor. Not long after that, she received a response to her article from a woman named Michelle Combs, owner of the media site, thanking her for the exclusive article on Commander Spock and Lieutenant Uhura's wedding.

Then Saana decided to com-link Reuben. His automated recording appeared and asked the caller to leave a message.

"Hello, Reuben. I'm returning your call., I am at the Vulcan Embassy and am still doing well. Once my documents are in order, I will be leaving Earth to travel to Vulcan to see my daughter and her new husband. I want to thank you for a great time these last couple of weeks. I don't know when I will return. I will try to reach you when I arrive at Vulcan. God Bless! See you soon. Saana."

Saana sighed with accomplishment after she ending the message to Reuben. Then she got ready for bed. Later that night, as she lay there trying to sleep, two handsome male figures invaded her thoughts. One of them would be having lunch with her the next day.

The next day, Saana woke up in such a wonderful mood that she hummed all the way down to breakfast. She broke into song when she greeted T'Zora, Stinek, and Semek, eliciting three identical sets of raised eyebrows; they were unable to process such a greeting.

"Professor Uhura, are you well?" Semek asked.

"We do have a healer on the premises if you have need of her services," T'Zora added.

For a moment, Saana stared at the three of them in confusion; then she realized why they were concerned:

"Oh, I'm sorry! I am quite well, and I don't need a-a healer," she said chuckling. "It is just that I am in such a good mood that I can't help humming with happiness."

The three Vulcans exchanged glances, trying to process her exuberance. They continued to observe her strange behavior as unobtrusively as possible while they gathered the makings of their morning meal. Saana continued to hum as she chose a fruit salad, an herbal tea favored by the Vulcans, and a bread of some sort before taking a seat at the table.

Stinek addressed her: "Professor Uhura, the Interplanetary Department of Transportation contacted the Embassy this morning; all your documents have been processed, and arrangements have been made for you to board a transport to Vulcan later this evening."

Saana's face lit up and she broke into a wide smile: "That is great news! I will start packing right after the morning meal!"

"That is not necessary; one of the aides will provide that service. You are now a member of S'haile Sarek's extended family and will be treated as such," Semek said, bowing his head in respect.

Being treated as royalty was new to Saana:

"OK. I do have a lunch meeting later, so I want to return and change clothes."

"As you wish; we can delay the packing," Semek said.

"Sounds like a plan! Plus I would like to get in another lesson in Vulcansu before I leave for lunch and Earth."

"It will honor us to continue to enhance your knowledge of Vulcansu, Professor Uhura," Stinek said, still sneaking glances at Saana's glowing face.

The next couple of hours were a haze. Saana tried to concentrate on the language, but anticipation of her lunch date with Chess had her heart racing-something that she hadn't felt since Kayode. "Oh no? What's wrong with me?" she wondered, thinking about Chester's leading-man good looks and those steel-gray then there was Reuben: Sometimes the image of his high cheekbones and dazzling smile would unexpectedly intrude upon her thoughts. She felt pulled in two directions-toward two very different men. Her mind couldn't figure it out. She was distracted by these thoughts.

"Professor Uhura? It seems your mind is elsewhere; this concludes our language lesson. You have progressed admirably since your arrival. Your time on Vulcan will expand your conversation skills," Stinek commented.

"I'm so sorry, Stinek. You are correct that my mind was occupied," Saana said, looking embarrassed.

"It is of no consequence. Perhaps you are ready for mid-meal?"

"Yes, I must be. Admiral Nimitz will be arriving soon, so I'd better go change." Saana stood up: "Thank you again. Your service honors me, Stinek."

Stinek bowed his head: "The honor is mine, Professor. I will announce Admiral Nimitz's arrival."

"That would be wonderful. Thank you again."

Saana left to get ready for her lunch date.


Chester had had a restless night. His mind kept wandering to the 5-foot-5-inch chocolate mocha woman he had met the day before. Her face held a sort of beauty he had never before seen in a woman. Being in her presence made him feel like a man who had come upon an oasis in a dry desert while nearly dying of thirst. Her eyes sparkled, her smile was winning, but when he touched her hands, it filled a hole in the depths of his soul.

His attraction to her was so intense he forgot the basic mechanics of dating a woman. He settled into his morning routine and cleared his afternoon schedule of appointments and meetings. His aide, Walters, looked at him as if he had grown two heads or something. Until the day before, he hadn't canceled anything in decades. He made Walters drop everything to make sure that Saana's documents were in order and that she was cleared for travel to Vulcan. "The bureaucrats at the Interplanetary Department of Transportation are the hold-up," he thought. Chester knew he didn't have much time with Saana, as she was leaving that night. He changed his clothes in preparation for his lunch date. He desired a low-key, yet intimate spot for lunch. He had everything planned, and his aides and security set it all up.

Now Chester stood in front of the Vulcan Embassy waiting for clearance to enter. He saw Saana in the distance, and his heart beat faster. "Why does she make me feel like an adolescent? I feel silly, but I can't let her go without letting her know how I feel!"

"Good afternoon, Saana."

"Good afternoon, Chess. You look handsome in your civilian clothes!" Saana looked him up and down in his casual clothes, which accented his muscular chest and slim waist. "The man is a walking model!"

Chester gave her a winning smile and chuckled: "That's a first! I don't think I've been described that way in a long time. Since we're giving out compliments, you look stunning yourself."

"Thanks, Chess! So where are we having lunch?"

"I decided to take you to a special place that I hope you will like."

She looked up and smiled at him: "I'm ready."

Chester extended his arm, and she wrapped hers around his; he escorted her to his hover car. They made small talk as he drove her to their destination; she was surprised that they ended up at a park.

"Where is this?"

"This is Golden Gate Park. I hope you like picnics?"

"Yes, I do!"

Chester helped her out of the car and opened the compartment to grab two baskets and a couple of blankets.

"Oh, let me help you. I'm a camper at heart because of my field," Saana said, reaching for one of the baskets. "Wow, what's in here? Did you pack enough for a starship crew?"

"I didn't know what you like, so I kind of packed a little of everything."

Saana stopped in her tracks and stared at him; it was a thoughtful gesture, and he was earning points for charm.

He led her down a path to a shaded area under a tree and started setting up. When Saana opened up one of the baskets, there was an assortment of sandwiches, fruits, and salads. Chester opened the other basket to reveal plates, cutlery, fabricated glasses, and drinks.

Saana was touched that he went all out to prepare the picnic. Without a doubt, Chester Nimitz was attracted to her: "Oh my, this is wonderful! This is so nice, Chess! Thank you."

"I seldom take time for myself to really enjoy the beautiful things of life," Chester said, staring at her and hoping that she would understand his meaning.

They served each other and continued with small talk about their jobs and accomplishments. Chester talked freely about his two sons, both living on established colonies. Neither one had pursued a career in Starfleet. Saana discussed her studies at the university and how she led her mini-expeditions for students to learn how to conduct research and write a thesis. They spent hours sharing childhood experiences and discussing how Chess decided to pursue a career in Starfleet: The 'stars' had called to him. This struck a chord with Saana, causing her thoughts to turn dark and her smiling face to morph into a frown.

"Saana, did I say something wrong?" Chess asked, looking at her with concern, knowing he had said something that disturbed her.

Saana held her head down in deep thought: "It's just that I miss my daughter, Nyota. As you are well aware, she's in Starfleet. But I didn't want her to join because Starfleet takes people so far away from their families," she said. "And sometimes doesn't bring them back," she thought, but she wasn't ready yet to discuss her personal losses with Chester. "I just-just find it hard sometimes. But the good news is that I will be seeing her and Commander Spock soon-I believe it will be next week, now that I have all my documents in order to finally leave."

Saana looked up at Chess and smiled.

He smiled back: "I understand; it's been some time since I've seen my sons. Do you know that I'm a grandfather? My second son, Matt, has a four-year-old boy."

"Wow! That's wonderful! I hope you take some time off to go visit them."

"I will do that now-because of you. Thank you. Saana, I have something to give you."

Chess went into his pocket, pulled out a yellow disk, and held it out toward Saana. She looked at the disk and then looked up at him with curiosity.

Chester took a deep breath:

"I hope this gives you peace about your husband; it's the final report of his accident. It turns out that he was a hero; he saved about a dozen people. I will have the official record updated to reflect his actions."

Tears came down as she took the disk. Her Kay was a hero; he had died saving others. He was so selfless; he would do something like that; he cared so much about people. Chess handed her a napkin, and she wiped away her tears.

"Thank you for-for doing this. He was such a wonderful, caring husband, friend, and father. Thank you for telling me that he-didn't die in vain."

Chess took her hand to comfort her: "I know you must feel that you were cheated out of your time with him. I would like to have met a man like him."

Saana smiled at him. His words both comforted her and tugged at her heart. I'm not ready for a relationship. She tried to shut that door. She reached into her pocket and felt the disk. Chester had given her resolution, closure of her longstanding wounds related to Kay's death. But now she was troubled over something else-her past treatment of Nyota.

"I have to go, Chess. I'm leaving for Vulcan tonight, and I have to get ready."

"Of course."

They packed up and headed back to the hovercar. They rode quietly back to the Embassy. Chester knew she was deep in thought over her husband, and he wouldn't touch that area until Saana was ready. He gave her quick glances as he drove. He walked her to the side entrance to the Embassy, and they stood looking at each other. Saana couldn't help staring into those steel-gray eyes.

"Thank you so much, Chess! You made my visit to America memorable."

"The honor is mine, Saana. I hope to see you again."

"I hope so; I would like that very much. Thank you again for the disk on my husband. It means a great deal to me."

Chester reached for her hand and held it gently, smiling at her. Somehow this woman had touched his life; it was the best two days he had had in a long time.

"Who knows what the future holds, Saana?" Chester asked, raising her hand and kissing her knuckles.

"Have a safe journey to Vulcan; you will enjoy it."

He turned to leave with a great big grin on his face, knowing he would see her sooner than she thought. "The surprise will be worth it."


Saana quickly went in through the private entrance and headed to her suite. The aide had packed most of her things, but she double-checked that everything was in order. She took another shower. She was anxious about leaving Earth to go into deep space for her next adventure. She was ready when Semek knocked.

"Good evening, Professor Uhura. Your transport is ready for departure." He walked toward her luggage to grab it.

"I'm ready, Semek. I want to thank you for helping me with my Vulcansu. I hope I won't make too many mistakes."

"There are those who will correct any errors with any sounds or meanings, Professor."

Semek guided Saana to the Embassy transport office and gave the attendant her documents on a disk. The attendant swiped the disk and gave it back to Semek. He handed it to Saana:

"Please present this when you reach Vulcan; another aide will guide you through the disembarking and customs process at Vulcan Space Central."[1]

Another Vulcan escorted her to the transport. Semek watched as the door closed and the transport lifted off the pad. The transport moved through the atmosphere to the space dock in orbit. From there, a Vulcan cruiser would take her to Vulcan.


Meanwhile, a man was banging on the Vulcan Embassy door. T'Zora approached the man: "How can I assist you?"

"Uhm, my name is Reuben Achebe. I'm looking for Professor Saana Uhura."

T'Zora folded her hands in front of her and asked:

"Are you an acquaintance of Professor Uhura?"

"Yes, yes I am. Is she here?"

"Professor Uhura is no longer at the Embassy. She is at the space dock and will be proceeding directly to Vulcan."

Reuben's face dropped. He couldn't believe it! He had traveled so far to see her and be with her. He felt that he had failed to support her during her crisis. He looked at the young Vulcan woman and said sadly:

"Thank you."

T'Zora bowed her head and closed the door.

Reuben turned to leave. He was late-too late-to say good-bye or tell her how he felt. He had waited too long for his decision to come to her. When he got Saana's message he had raced as fast as he could to get to the Embassy, only to find out that he had just missed her. He walked to a nearby park and sat with his head down, wondering whether he had missed his last opportunity to have a relationship with her.

"I wish I had had more time with you, Saana. I will miss you."

He looked up into the sky full of stars, hoping to see her ship zoom across the horizon. She was off to Vulcan to see her daughter; he wondered whether she would stay with her or come back to Grahamstown.


A Vulcan aide settled Saana into a private compartment. She looked out the portal to see Earth, "the big blue marble." She pulled out the disk Chester had given her, inserted it into her Padd, and started to read the report on Kay. It was an accident. She sighed deeply, and reality hit her: She had wanted to blame someone for her loss. Then she started listening to the survivors' testimonies about how Kay had touched their lives by saving them and how they honored him. That made her feel worse about herself: she had been selfish about Starfleet; she needed to let go of the resentment she had held onto for all these years. With the loss of Kay and her brother, and Starfleet taking Nyota far into the depths of space, she had built up intense resentment of Starfleet, which she now saw was unfair. Unfair to Starfleet, and most of all, unfair to Nyota. She had to try to let it go and consider it as a part of life.

Then the ship went into warp and the stars zipped past her.

"Oh, Kay! I'm so sorry for being angry at Starfleet. I know you're still helping me to understand. I will try to, Kay."






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: [1] Vulcan Space Central was named in the episode "Amok Time."    







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.