Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 Beta Reader: Jsilver2000

Summary: Boma made peace with Uhura, accepted that she was married to Commander Spock, and attempted to move on. Even Janet and Abby apologized to Uhura for their behavior toward Spock and her. Christine realized during her session with Dr. Robertson that she needed closure for her relationship with Roger Korby and had to accept his death [1] before she could deal with her complex feelings about Spock.

 

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Week 3: On the Enterprise-Off Course

During the late afternoon change of shift on the bridge, Uhura addressed her relief officer, Lt. Elizabeth Palmer:

"Palmer, these are the latest reports on the anomaly that I have received. This signal is interesting; continue tracking it."

"Yes, Chief. Are we expecting any Starfleet messages?"

"No. We are on a milk run; nothing important should be coming in from Starfleet until we reach the vicinity of Vulcan. Run a diagnostic on the linguistic banks; they are scheduled for a check."

"Aye, Chief Uhura. I will also catalog those reports."

"Have a good night, Palmer."

While Uhura was instructing Lt. Elizabeth Palmer, Spock was also giving instructions to his replacement, Lt. Michael DeSalle, acting commander and assistant science officer. The relief crew continued to take over stations all over the bridge. Then Spock and Nyota left together for their quarters. This was a new convenience that Spock appreciated. They commenced with their shower love-making. Nyota loved watching the water pour down his lean, muscular body; she also enjoyed lathering him up and slowly washing him. His eyes were always locked on hers; they opened their bond wide and let their emotions flow. This joining was more than just intercourse; mating during a meld allowed them to share their most intimate feelings. After their love shower, they changed into their loungewear, and Nyota cuddled up next to Spock as the two read the day's reports while caressing each other's fingers.


During the night the red alert went off, waking the entire ship. Spock and Nyota shot up from their sleep and quickly dressed; she dashed to their dresser and pulled out two standard T-shirts, and threw one to Spock as he was pulling on his pants and boots. Nyota slipped on her lounge pants with her T-shirt and attempted to take out her hair wraps. They rushed out the door straight to the turbolift, joining the rest of the crew, who were also scrambling to their stations. The alert continued to ring out as the turbolift rose, full of crew members trying to reach their destination. Spock overrode the turbolift controls to bypass the lower decks and go straight to the bridge. When the turbolift doors opened, Kirk, also in a T-shirt, was in his command chair; the rest of the alpha shift bridge crew had replaced their gamma shift counterparts as well. DeSalle was standing next to Kirk, reporting status. Spock joined the conversation.

"We are heading to the planetoid at warp five, Captain," DeSalle said.

Kirk turned to the helmsman: "Sulu, what's our ETA?"

"Captain, at this speed we will reach the planetoid in 5 hours and 35 minutes."

Kirk swiveled to the next station: "Engineering?"

Charlene gave him her status report:

"The engines are aligned and performing nominally, sir."

Kirk returned his attention to the shift commander:

"Thanks, DeSalle. Your decision was correct."

DeSalle went back to his station, and Kirk addressed Lt. Palmer:

"Lieutenant, have all departments check in and then let Lieutenant Uhura take over... Belay that order! Lieutenant Uhura, stand by."

Kirk looked at Spock:

"Spock, it's a distress call from a planetoid. The colony of New Jersey is an observation station. They've detected a disruption of the planetoid's inner core, and the thing is in the process of breaking up as we speak. DeSalle indicated that two more starships are on their way to help with the rescue mission. Direct all senior officers to the briefing room for strategy planning and coordination with the other ships. Have them ready in ten minutes."

"Yes, Captain," Spock said. He relieved DeSalle and went to work on the Captain's request.

"Captain, all departments have reported ready," Lt. Palmer said. She gave her Padd to Uhura, who reviewed her report and put her earpiece in to listen to the original distress call. Uhura noticed a distorted sound in the background while listening to the message.

"Captain, Commander Spock!"

Both men turned toward her.

"The signal that Lieutenant Palmer received is distorted. I believe there is an intense magnetic force disrupting our communications."

Spock put his earpiece in and bent over his sensor hood, gathering information about the makeup of the planetoid's core.

"Captain, the planetoid's inner core is producing a magnetic field that is disrupting not only our communications, but also our sensor readings."

"Lieutenant Palmer, what other ships have responded that they will be joining the rescue mission?" Kirk asked.

"The Excalibur and the Potemkin, sir."

"Send a message to warn them that the magnetic core will disrupt their communications and sensor readings as they approach the planetoid."

"On it, sir!"

A yeoman bearing uniform shirts without insignia entered the bridge and distributed one to each underdressed crew member. Kirk took a shirt as he headed toward the turbolift with Spock, Sulu, and Uhura. They put on their shirts as the turbolift took them to Deck 5, where the briefing room was located.

"Uhura, I want you and your team to find a way to filter out that distortion; we will need ship-to-ship communications," Kirk said.

"Aye, sir."

They entered the briefing room, where the other seniors officers were waiting. Each took a seat. Uhura connected her Padd to the three-way monitor. Spock sat near the computer station, calculating facts and figures in his head while accessing the data on the colony. He displayed an image of the New Jersey Colony taken from space on the screen.

"The New Jersey Colony was established 37.8 years ago as a survey facility. The facility has an estimated 2,500 personnel, not including the workers' family members. The colony is constructed on mostly solid rock, with underground tunnels for storage. The data from my scanners indicate that something has disrupted the planetoid's inner core, which is generating a strong magnetic field and disrupting the planetoid's rotation. There has also been an increase in several types of radiation. Based on my information, destruction is imminent."

"Thanks, Spock," Kirk said. He addressed the team as a whole: "There you have it; this is a rescue mission. There is a possibility that the colonists have been exposed to deleterious levels of radiation."

Scotty interjected: "Captain, if what Mr. Spock reported is true, then there is a possibility that the transporters could be inoperative or unsafe for beaming the colonists up, especially with the radiation field increasing as we speak."

"Mr. Scott is correct, Captain. Such intense radiation can affect the operation of the mechanism," Spock said.

"We could use the shuttlecraft," Kirk suggested.

"Yes, but they don't have nearly enough capacity to accommodate everyone down there," Scotty said looking down at his Padd's calculations.

"The average capacity of each shuttlecraft on the Enterprise is twelve passengers" Spock said.[2]

"Aye, but we could install jump seats and reset the others to increase the count," Scotty suggested.

"If that is the case, Mr. Scott, you need to reconfigure the weight distribution, and calculate thrust capability and fuel consumption for lift-off and reaching orbit."

"Spock and Scotty, get to work on those calculations and start equipping each shuttlecraft to those specs." Kirk ordered. "Scotty, can we increase speed to warp seven?"

"Aye, sir-and a wee bit more; my bairns can take it!"

"Uhura, once Spock has those figures, send them to the Excalibur and the Potemkin."

"Yes, sir."

Kirk directed a question toward the medical department: "Dr. McCoy, any suggestions?"

"Yes, Captain. According to the reports I'm receiving, we will need to have medical team members on those shuttlecraft to administer counteragents against the radiation. If there is any exposure, the people will need treatment immediately. I don't know how many people we will be able to transport to the ship; but I will need to set up a triage system and secondary Sickbay stations throughout the ship to accommodate the potentially high numbers of injured."

"McCoy, assign doctors and nurses to each shuttlecraft, along with any medicines that will be needed. Then select those areas around the ship that can be converted to medical use."

Kirk turned to Uhura again with more orders: "Uhura, order the quartermasters to construct and/or find living space for the colonists."

"Sulu, adjust our speed to warp seven," Kirk said. "Spock, how much time will that shave off our ETA?"

"We should reach the planetoid in three point eight five hours, Captain."

"Any other concerns?" he asked. "If not, let's get to work. We have less than four hours. Take any crew members you need off regular duties to get the job done. Dismissed."

Kirk and the other officers left, but Spock and Scotty stayed behind in the briefing room, performing calculations and making adjustments to their figures for refitting the shuttlecraft to accommodate more passengers and for determining the fuel needed to handle the additional weight. Once they configured the specs, they assigned crew members to work on each shuttlecraft. Time was of the essence. At the same time, Spock was using his long-distance scanners to monitor the steady deterioration of the planetoid and the accompanying increase of radiation and relaying the data to McCoy's medical staff.

Meanwhile, in the hangar deck, each technician had a drill or another instrument, and was taking apart panels and installing jump seats or adjusting engine capacity. Everyone was working in assembly-line style, carrying away pieces of the shuttles. Time was running out to evacuate as many people as possible.


When McCoy arrived back at Sickbay from the briefing room, he saw the back of a woman with long blond hair.

"Excuse me, do you need assistance?" he asked.

The woman turned around and their eyes met. She was in a standard T-shirt and fatigue pants:

"Dr. McCoy, I've been waiting for my orders."

McCoy gave her quizzical look: "What are you doing here, Chris?"

"I'm not totally dismissed from duty, am I?"

"No, but Nurse Sharon Running Deer is assisting me."

"I am ready and able to perform my duty; you know I won't stand by at a time like this. You need me!"

"Well, I'm not turning you down. You can help Running Deer. Let's get the staff assembled so I don't have to repeat myself."

They walked into the main lobby of Sickbay, where the majority of the senior staff were assembled. There were others attending the meeting through the monitors spread out through the ship. McCoy updated the medical staff with the latest information from the Science division:

"We are on a medical evacuation mission; many of you have read the brief on the situation. The planetoid is breaking up and releasing toxic radiation. This particular type of radiation has side effects and could lead to internal damage to the organs. The Science division is in the process of mass production of a combined treatment [3] (potassium iodide, Prussian blue, and diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid) for radiation exposure. We will take the most serious cases first once they reach the ship, based on the information from the team on each shuttlecraft. Those who are assigned to the landing parties, be sure to input the degree of the burn or inflammation of the internal organs. Make sure you are aware of the different forms of radiation and be prepared to leave on the assigned shuttle. We don't have much time. Get your protective gear and read the latest brief. Two-person teams and shuttlecraft assignments will be posted in about an hour. You are dismissed."

McCoy turned to Running Deer and Chapel:

"Nurses, make sure a medical kit specialized for treatment of radiation is installed in each shuttlecraft; report any needed equipment or supplies. Check the dosages in each kit. Dismissed."

Running Deer and Chapel each grabbed a Padd and headed for the supply storage locker. McCoy went into his office and checked his computer to assign medical staff members to a shuttle or to help set up secondary Sickbay stations around the ship. They would need supplies and medical equipment; he was up against time limitations. He knew Kirk would want updates on his department's progress. He quickly assigned his personnel and sent the assignments to the medical staff. He then consolidated the information into a brief report and relayed it to the Captain and Spock. McCoy pulled up the schematics of the Enterprise and started marking locations for secondary Sickbay stations and relayed the information to Running Deer and Chapel. He was getting continual feedback and updates from his staff and adjusting his plan as he went.


On the bridge:

Uhura and Palmer had taken apart some of the panels of the Communications station; each was working with a Padd and a tricorder as they observed the increasing static in their system as the Enterprise drew closer to its destination. They worked feverishly and kept sending messages about their status and findings to the other starships. Uhura and Palmer bypassed circuits, rerouted frequencies, and soldered circuit boards.

Sulu reported at intervals:

"Captain, the Potemkin's ETA is one hour and fourteen minutes."

Kirk leaned from his chair toward the helm and saw the Enterprise's ETA: "We are two hours and 30 minutes away. We need to increase our speed. Go to warp eight, Sulu!"

"Aye, sir"

Kirk turned to the two officers at work under the Communications console:

"Uhura, are the other two ships aware of the radiation and the transporter issues?"

"Yes, Captain. They confirmed they have also refitted their shuttlecraft."

Uhura sat up and looked at him:

"Captain, we have arranged the sensor array and bypassed circuits to boost our signal to override 82% of the interference. We have a clear signal."

"Good job, Uhura!"

Spock stepped down from his station over to Kirk and handed him a Padd.

"Captain, Mr. Scott and his team have refitted fifty-eight point thirty-three percent of the shuttlecraft. Dr. McCoy has assigned a medical team of two to each shuttle and is in the process of setting up secondary Sickbay stations throughout the ship. The quartermasters have cleared and rearranged areas throughout the ship as living quarters. The New Jersey Colony has reported fissures developing at a rapid pace, as well as quakes."

"DAMN! We need to get there sooner! Sulu, signal Engineering and increase our speed to warp nine."

"Aye, sir!"

Kirk's intercom buzzed. It was Mr. Scott calling from Engineering:

"Captain, the engines canna take the stress of this speed for long!"

"Mr. Sulu, what is our ETA at warp nine?" Kirk asked.

"One hour, twenty-eight minutes, Captain," Sulu responded.

"Did you hear that, Scotty? Can you hold the engines together for that long?" Kirk asked.

"Aye, Captain. I'll do me best!" Mr. Scott said.

Kirk turned to Spock: "Spock, have you assigned pilots to the shuttlecraft?"

"I've begun, Captain, but we need at least two more qualified pilots to assist."

Sulu turned around to face the Captain: "I'll go, Captain. I volunteer, sir."

"Thanks, Sulu-"

"I volunteer too, sir."

Kirk, Spock, and Sulu all turned toward the voice. Spock's brow rose, and Kirk caught the movement from the corner of his eye. He shot a glare toward Spock, thinking, "This is a RESCUE MISSION; Uhura is a competent pilot, and we have no room for conflict of interest."

Nyota saw three surprised faces. She knew what Spock was feeling; he was projecting it through their bond. She closed their bond to suppress Spock's overprotectiveness and ignored the other officers' surprise. "I am qualified to pilot a shuttlecraft, even a starship. I was born for this!" : she thought to herself.

"I am certified to fly almost any ship in the fleet, sir."

Still the stares.

"The Communications station is in working order and in good hands, Captain," Uhura said, nodding toward Lt. Palmer. "Mr. Spock just stated that you are short on pilots."

"Um, okay-you're in," Kirk said.

The three men turned back toward the viewscreen. Nyota knew that Spock was concerned just like before, she opened their bond again. Spock stood silently and spoke to his wife through the bond:

"I do not wish you to go."

"Spock don't-you know that I am qualified to fly a shuttle!"

"I have calculated..."

"Darling, this is a rescue mission! Don't try to hold me back when I can save others."

Spock didn't argue with her, because he knew what she had said was true. Yet he looked toward the Captain in hopes that he would change his orders. After a moment, he realized that Kirk had settled on the logical decision and would not change his orders:

"Captain, I will assist the Shuttle Bay crew with the refitting of the shuttlecrafts."

"Of course, Spock. Just report back to the bridge before the ship returns to sublight speed."

Spock headed for the hangar deck; his mind drifted to the fact that his wife was going on the rescue mission against his judgment. Spock was logically aware that Nyota was suitable for the job. But he could not stay on the bridge; knowing of the danger in which she was placing herself automatically put him in defensive spouse mode. He had accepted that the decision had been made; the logical thing to do now was to make sure that the shuttles were properly refitted to ensure the highest chance of a safe and successful mission. "I do not desire harm to my wife-my heart!" He needed to make peace with her participation in the mission; he had 1 hour 25.3 minutes to calm his thoughts.

Nyota was aware that her husband was struggling with the emotions brought on by her decision, but they had both signed on to the Enterprise to explore space and offer assistance wherever needed. She knew that this would probably not be the only or last time such a situation would interfere with their relationship. Nyota turned back to her console and helped Lt. Palmer finish adjusting the sensor array so that it would be stable when the Enterprise returned to sublight speed. She needed to talk to Spock to make him understand her point of view. Nyota handed Palmer her earpiece and walked to the Captain's chair. She stood quietly and waited for him to notice her; he turned to look into her eyes:

"Captain Kirk, I need to speak to him."

Kirk knew exactly who she meant and why; he just nodded his head to release her. Nyota took the turbolift to the hangar deck.


Spock, Scotty, and DeSalle inspected the work in progress and made a few adjustments; not all the shuttlecraft would be ready when they arrived at the colony, but the first batch would be able to leave at a moment's notice while the others were still being worked on. The crew was working like a well-oiled machine, with some running around delivering parts and equipment and others installing and adjusting them. Then the medical supplies started to arrive; the medical staff reported to Spock and he started checking off the supplies.

Dr. McCoy saw the shuttle pilot assignments and began assigning his medical personnel to the shuttlecraft; then an idea struck him: "Maybe, just maybe, we can come to an understanding." McCoy went back into the assignment list and swapped assignments so that two people would crew a certain shuttle.

When Nyota entered the Shuttle Bay, people were running around with supplies and equipment. She couldn't see Spock anywhere in the sea of crew members; she opened their bond and asked him to come to her. After a minute, Spock emerged from one of the shuttles and swiftly walked toward her. "This communication bond is so handy!" she thought. Then she saw his intense eyes and realized how upset he was, although the rest of the crew was oblivious to his emotional state. Spock stopped in front of his wife with his Padd in hand; he looked down at her and responded:

"Yes, Lieutenant?"

Nyota responded within their bond:

"Sweetheart, please don't be upset. It is important to me that you accept my decision."

"I cannot help how I feel-I want to protect you. You are my heart, Nyota! Kaiidth [what is, is]. I have no choice in this matter. I am aware you are eminently qualified for this mission. Logic dictates that you should pilot one of the shuttles. I have to apply logic foremost when I serve this ship, including when it concerns you. But Vulcan instincts are difficult to override. I am working on controlling my emotions."

Nyota was relieved to know that he had accepted the situation intellectually, if not emotionally. She often felt the same way when he would go on landing party missions. Spock and Nyota's presence in the midst of the hubbub in the Shuttle Bay didn't go unnoticed; people saw them staring at each other in silence but did not know they were communicating. Nyota held up two fingers and Spock responded, saying:

"Ashayam, with all my heart, please be careful! You have been assigned to a shuttlecraft that I have personally inspected."

"Thank you, sweetheart!"

They broke the touch and Nyota went to her assigned shuttlecraft to check the systems herself. Sulu showed up to find Charlene and check in as well. She came off one of the shuttlecraft, saw 'Karu, and ran to him.

"'Karu, are you ready?"

He held her shoulders and smiled: "Yeah, and don't you worry-I do this all the time. They don't call me 'flyboy' for nothing!"

"Well, flyboy, you had better come back in one piece, because the way they describe that planetoid is no joke!"

"Whoa, Char! It's just a pickup; it shouldn't take long!"

Char took a deep breath: "Look 'Karu, we just started this relationship, but I have deep feelings for you."

Sulu looked into her eyes and saw the concern: "I have deep feelings for you, too."

He gave her a deep hug and kissed the top of her head: "I have to get my shuttlecraft ready."

"I personally adjusted the specs on your shuttlecraft, so come back safely and we can talk."

"I sure will, honey!"

Sulu went to his shuttlecraft. Charlene watched him board his craft with two medical staff. She took a deep breath and went back to work.

Spock approached DeSalle:

"Lieutenant!"

The man turned toward his commander, and Spock handed him the master Padd. "You are in charge of the hangar deck. Give intermittent updates to the Captain. I am needed on the bridge."

"Aye, Mr. Spock."

Spock headed to the turbolift, fighting to regain his equilibrium about his job and his wife.


The Enterprise was five minutes out, and the crew were still running around in preparation for the mission. Nurse Chapel was assigned to the Galileo with Uhura. Nyota turned around in the cockpit to see the tall blond woman coming aboard. She didn't know how to read Christine at first. "I'm the Communications officer-I can talk to her," she told herself.

"Welcome aboard, Nurse Chapel."

Christine's face went blank. Seeing her one-time friend after her marriage to Spock still stung.

"Hello, Lieutenant. All the medical equipment is aboard and ready. Nurse Brian Carroll is already prepped."

"Good. As soon as the bridge signals us, we're off."

Nyota turned back around to the helm and observed the nominal levels of fuel. "That went smoothly; I hope we can get over our differences."

Kirk hit the shipwide intercom:

"This is the Captain speaking. We are currently on a rescue mission to the New Jersey Colony. The situation is critical; the planetoid is breaking up at this moment, and there is a risk of exposure to several forms of radiation. We are an effective crew. We have trained for a situation like this. Follow all safety procedures, and all hands on deck. That's all."

Chekov notified the Captain: "One minute to planetoid."

Palmer informed the Captain: "Captain Kirk, I have the Potemkin and Excalibur online. They are reporting that they have launched their first wave of shuttlecrafts. They are reporting turbulence in the planetoid's atmosphere."

"Relay that information to the pilots."

"Yes, sir."

Kirk snapped his armchair intercom to the hangar deck:

"Lieutenant DeSalle, are the shuttlecraft ready?"

"Yes, sir. A few shuttlecraft are still undergoing refitting, but the first eight shuttlecrafts are ready for departure. The other shuttlecraft will be ready to launch before the first wave returns."

"Keep me posted; await further orders."

Spock stepped down from his station to stand next to Kirk with his Padd.

Kirk looked at Spock:

"Captain, each starship has properly equipped their shuttlecraft; therefore, I estimate it would take two point twenty-five trips for each shuttle, depending on speed of the shuttle and weight. I estimate the time for full the full rescue mission at five hours and twenty-one minutes and the time to complete planetoid breakup at six hours and twelve minutes."

"Cutting that close."

"The planetoid's inner core continues to expel high levels of radiation, and the rate of deterioration of its magnetic field is increasing, causing disruption of our sensors, as well as the orbit of the planetoid itself. These may interfere with the rescue mission; the ripple effects will require the pilots to adjust their navigation consoles to modify their descent to and ascent from the colony."

Kirk turned to Palmer: "Lieutenant, make sure all shuttlecraft pilots are aware of the decaying orbit and magnetic field and that they adjust their instruments to counter them."

"Aye, sir!"

The Enterprise came out of warp speed into waves of turbulence from the planetoid. In the distance, the Potemkin and Excalibur were orbiting above the colony; a stream of shuttlecraft were descending toward the colony.

Chekov reported: "Captain, ve are hitting turbulence from the planetoid; ve are feeling the effects of it."

"Keep her steady, Chekov, and monitor the gravitational pull!"

Kirk snapped his intercom control to the hangar deck: "Launch shuttlecrafts!"

"Page Mr. Scott, Lieutenant," he said.

"Scott here, Captain."

"Scotty, how are the transporter repairs coming? I want them as an emergency backup."

"I have Lieutenants Kyle and Brent working on them as we speak, sir."

"Great job! Continue as you were."

Kirk looked at the planetoid. The New Jersey Colony was clearly visible in the distance. He hoped that they had arrived in time, not only to save the colony, but to save themselves if the thing decided to explode. "I hope Spock and his science team are right about the timing," Kirk thought as he watched the shuttles descend toward the planetoid. Kirk slowly swiveled his chair around, seeing each crew member working diligently to complete the tasks required of them. He looked at the Engineering station and saw Masters monitoring each of the Enterprise shuttles. Each member of the crew was important to him; each of them had value. His accountability for their lives weighed heavily on him as the mission went forward.

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N:

[1] Dr. Roger Korby, Christine's late fiancé was featured in the TOS episode, "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" (season 1, episode 7).

[2] Shuttlecraft number for Constitution class ships was given as four in the TOS episode, "The Omega Glory" (season 2, episode 23)

[3] [Per the Mayo Clinic (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/radiation-sickness/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20377061), this is what is currently used for radiation treatment.

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.