Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: SilverMoonfire

Summary: The Intrepid crew were finally placed to rest in the Hall of Katras, and the families gave homage to the S'chn T'gai clan. Spock had earned allies and respect for holding so many katras at one time, but there are others who are more interested in his abilities. Can T'Pau use her authority to keep them at bay? Now there's family time...

 

See the source imageSee the source image




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Life After Death

Nyota went to sleep snuggled against Spock's warm body, liking the way their bond sparked every time they woke up. She missed that when she woke up and turned to find him already up, looking at her. Nyota smiled at him.

"Good morning ashayam"

"K'dlawa"

She stretched her arms and legs, "Maybe we can get some us time. Things have been hectic since we arrived."

"I agree K'dlawa, I believe some exercises and meditation is a start."

Nyota sighed at the thought.

"Exercise will help your body acclimate to Vulcan's atmosphere and gravity, but first let us meditate and commune in our bond."

"How about showing me more of Vulcan? There's such a rich culture here."

"Yes, I know you are interested in the history textbooks before the awakening, T'Pau has rare books that you might find interesting."

Nyota got up from their bed and hugged his waist, he leaned down and kissed her passionately, and then they both went to refresh themselves in the bathroom. As part of Nyota's continuing training, they both set up ansoi pots. Spock guided Nyota through their meditation where he reflected on the Intrepid. After meditating, they changed into Starfleet standard exercise clothes and left for a morning run. Nyota felt a difference right away; the heaviness of her lungs, and the weight of her legs. Spock demonstrated how to regulate the difference, and a few minutes later her pace increased. As they were jogging, Nyota noticed the landscape and the rest of her surroundings. Spock, who didn't even break a sweat or heave while he jogged, gave details about the flora and fauna around them. Nyota made a promise to herself, she would run every day to keep her stamina.

After their run, they showered and dressed in casual clothes, then headed into the kitchen. There, they find their parents preparing breakfast.

" Here comes the married couple," said Saana. Nyota went to her and gave a kiss on her cheek.

"Morning momma, Mr. and Mrs. Sarek."

"Mother Uhura, Sa-mekh and ko-mekh greetings"

Amanda clapped her hands together and smiled deeply, "Finally, we are all here as a family, are you both hungry?"

Sarek bowed his head and greeted his son. "Morning greeting Spock and Nyota"

They sat around the kitchen table, drank tea, juice, and ate their breakfast as a family. Amanda was beside herself; she never thought she would see the day her son married.

"Just wait, in a couple of days we will all be on Altairs VI celebrating the biggest reception!" Chimed Amanda, sipping her tea. Her heart wanted to burst with joy.

Sarek sensed his wife's exuberance through their bond, he too is in a place of contentment following the outcome with the crew of the Intrepid.

Nyota hadn't thought about the reception and asked, "I am curious, how many people are coming to the wedding reception?"

Amanda reaches over for her padd and scans over the list: "Huh um about 2500 people."

Nyota almost dropped her tea and looked at Spock, "Wow, that's a lot of people!"

"They are mostly people the Enterprise has encountered over the years, active Starfleet, Federation representatives and clan families here."

"That is interesting ko-mekh, may I see the guest list?" asked Spock

Amanda gives the padd to Spock and he begins reviewing the guest list.

Sarek says to Nyota, "Daughter, I hope you will find the opportunity to visit museums and other cultural events. Vulcan has historical monuments and literature that you will find interesting."

"Oh Nyota, you'll love their Art museums, I've been to a couple. I would love to do some research on their historical sites. Amanda has been a great tour guide."Said Saana.

"It was nothing, I enjoyed myself too" smiled Amanda.

Nyota giggling. "Already momma? You want to stay on Vulcan and claim digging sites."

As the rest of the family were conversing, Spock spotted a familiar clan and wondered why they were added. "Sa-mekh, the S'oleh-nau clan are invited to the reception?"

Amanda stopped listening to the Uhuras and looked at Spock. "That was your grandmother's doing. She insists that they attend your reception."

Spock spoke firmly, "It is not necessary or logical that they attend."

Sarek interjected, "Respect is due and required from them to attend your reception sa-fu."

At this point, Spock didn't want anything to do with that clan or the THAT woman who had spurned him. He slowly looked at his wife hoping she didn't fully understand the conversation.

"It is illogical for their clan to attend."

"It is part of their compensation and it is required as a means to show respect towards your position as S'haile." Sarek responded.

"Which clan are you referring to Spock?" asked Nyota now that her attention was drawn.

He was silent and stood with his hands behind him. Saana could see the tension building between family members, then Amanda looked at Sarek for permission and he nodded his head. She took a deep breath and explained to the Uhura's.

"Nyota might know, but Spock was... well.. sort of married before."[1]

Saana had a shocked look on her face. "Married before?"

"Yes Spock told me, but what does it have to do with our wedding reception?"

"T'Pau confronted the S'oleh-nau clan for... T'Pring's challenge during their Kal-i-fee. Vulcan High Command agreed with the facts, a Terran was placed in a vicious position. A well-known person."

"I don't understand, you mean some sort of fight?" asked Saana.

Amanda looked nervous. "Yes, you see Saana Vulcans pledge their children to get married when they grow up. When they reach maturity then a formal marriage is performed. The female can contest the marriage and ask for a challenge."

Saana leaned back and absorbed the information she heard. "This 'child marriage', is it a form of pledge between families to prevent wars or something?"

"In our past, it was so. The Awakening of Surak changed us from violence to peace, but some instincts could not be avoided and continued as our way of life. Challenges seldom occurred, until Spock's."

"So, let me get this straight, T'Pring is coming to our wedding reception?" Nyota asked with a stern look.

It seemed that T'Pring was haunting him in his current marriage and Spock could sense Nyota's tension in their bond.

"Yes, T'Pau invited the clan as part of their agreement to maintain peace between us my wife."

Saana asked, "Who was the Terran in their wedding challenge?"

"Captain Kirk!" Nyota snapped, she remembered when Spock shared the story, bringing back the resentment she tried to hide.

"What? Captain Kirk-your friend Spock?" Turning to look at Amanda and Sarek, Saana was confused.

Amanda, shaking her head to confirm, looked at Nyota's face as it turned into frustration.

Spock, feeling the anger grow in their bond, attempted to diffuse the problem.

"It is insignificant if she is there are not, T'Pau has invited them for a purpose of a peace offering."

Nyota folded her arms in front of her, and anger rose at the thought T'Pring would be there. A place where she considered her day.

"I won't forget what she did or the fact she almost killed my commanding officer. Spock and Kirk are the most recognized men in Starfleet with all the work they have done for the Federation, the galaxy, and humanity! Kal-i-fee! She did it on purpose, now she is coming to MY wedding reception!"

Nyota threw her hands up as she snapped in anger over the idea. She was breathing heavily and stared at Amanda and Sarek.

"Matter of fact, let her come. I want to meet the woman who messed with my man. I want to see her."

With that, Nyota walked out of the kitchen mad as a hornet, mumbling as she left. The rest sat quietly looking at each other. Spock's brow rose at the outburst of his wife, he found it illogical.

He understood why his family had the compensation, but the invitation was unnecessary to prove a point. Now his wife is upset about it, he had delayed dealing with his wife's resentment towards T'Pring for too long.

Then Sarek broke the silence, and looked at his son.

"Emotional isn't she?"

Spock raised a brow at his father. "She has always been that way."

"Indeed? Why did you marry her?"

"At the time it seemed the logical thing to do Sa-mekh."[2]

Amanda's mouth dropped open and looked between her husband and son in shock. Her face blushed at the thought.

Her husband told a joke,

her husband told a joke with Spock

They told a joke to-ge-ther.

A smile broke across her face and she started laughing loudly because they couldn't.

"I love you both, and please don't say it isn't logical because it is with you two."

Saana was totally lost, Amanda looked at her and waved.

"Saana, it's another long story."

Afterwards, Amanda calmed down from the shock of their joke.

Saana decided to share a little of how Nyota worked, or rather, her demeanor.

"Well after watching my baby girl walk out of here like a hornet, you should know some things about her and me now that we are family."

Saana took a deep breath, she had decided to face parts of her demons. The three of them turned to Saana from the heavy sound she made.

"I was never fond of Starfleet, it goes way back. I was married to Kayode in my late teenage years. He was such a handsome man, that he swept me off my feet. His family adopted me as part of their family versus my family who despised the Uhura's. Nyota has most of his looks in my opinion, when she was born she was the most beautiful baby ever. All moms feel that way about their babies, Kayode and I sure did. She was the most doted on child ever. We noticed her talents at such an early age, talking, walking early. She was our little princess. Then we noticed her aptitude for mathematics and science, so we enrolled her in the top schools which were hours away from home. As she grew older we noticed a change in her behavior. Nyota was small and younger than her classmates, and she would come home with bruises. Like any concerned parents, we confronted the school, administration, teachers, and parents about the issues. It turned out that her peers in the school were intimidated by her abilities. But that didn't stop her from learning and she became more advanced in the academic fields. She completed achievement testing that advanced her grade levels which led to more bullying. There were times she would cry and ask why, why were they treating her so."

As Amanda sat quietly and listened, she compared stories of Spock. How he too endured the same injustice because of his dual heritage. She found it astonishing that people are the same almost everywhere.

Saana continued with her story:

"We couldn't stop people from hating, but we did support Nyota in other ways. We found that she loved music and dancing. She would find the most difficult instrument and learn it, or the toughest song and sing it. But dancing was her best way of expressing her frustration and disappointments in life. Nyota is so creative, she would create music, songs on a whim because it made her feel special after the hurt from her peers. She would only entertain us. Once in a blue moon, she would do a concert, but she avoided school music programs to avoid conflict. Nyota never complained, just questioned people's motives. Then her uncle, my brother Zurberi, taught her how to fight and defend herself; a couple of the Japanese styles at first. She learned that quickly too and Nyota was able to put some of her peers in place and that took care of the physical bullying. But it caused another rift in her social life. No friends, only the instructors and professors would engage with her.

Saana did a deep growl and said, "I hate Starfleet."

"When they approached Kayode, it was a great opportunity to expand his career and extra income to support Nyota's endeavors. The pay was great and we were able to live comfortably. Nyota was able to go places around the world with the extra income and then she was invited to conferences or conventions. It was there she was introduced to different cultures and languages, where she saw conversation as a mathematical formula. Nyota began to learn languages with ease, picking them up like a glass of water. It was easy for her. By the age of twelve, she had mastered over two dozen languages. Then she was taking courses on xeno-cultures and languages.

Then...then Kayode died, which was a shock to both of us. A few months later my brother died on Neptune."

"I hate Starfleet!"

"My husband and brother were both killed serving Starfleet. I watched Nyota withdraw from life, and from me. But, Nyota's music and singing still comforted her and me. They were songs related to her father and uncle, Nyota took it hard that two of the most important people in her life were gone.

Nyota, as I said, was small for her age. She was not liked her female peers, who were into the opposite sex. She was considered a social outcast, so she just had her studies. Nyota kept to herself and was unnoticed by young men. Things were fine between us, we grew closer because of our loss.

Nyota wanted to join Starfleet at fifteen, she wanted to follow her father and uncle, but I forbade it. It was the start of a strained relationship, it was a matter of time. Meanwhile, when she hit seventeen or eighteen her body changed into a shapely woman and she got noticed by the opposite sex. Like it was overnight, 'VaVoom' popped a womanly body. But another type of bullying developed, this time it was just the girls, Nyota was getting too much attention. But she was determined with her courses and was not deterred how the other females treated."

Spock and Sarek looked puzzled not connecting the body development, while Amanda just giggled and imagined Nyota drawing all the male attention. "Slaying her dragons."

"But then when she became legal age and I couldn't stop her, Nyota and I parted on bad terms. At first, we didn't talk or correspond for a couple of years because of my stubborn grief. I knew she was getting excellent grades and awards because I would receive them. Things at the academy weren't different, the females were still mad at her for attracting the male population, but she met Charlene Masters, her only best friend. They both supported each other and became like sisters. It made me happy that she wasn't alone anymore. Then I made peace with Nyota and we slowly started talking again. I was able to attend her graduation, the best thing I ever did. I watched Nyota receive awards, acknowledgments, and congratulations. I was still bitter over the loss of my husband and brother and the fear I had for my only child wandering through space."

"I hate Starfleet!"

"Starfleet took Nyota into space where I didn't hear from her the first year when she was assigned to the Potemkin. Then finally, I would hear from her on a weekly basis, that wasn't too bad. But when she was assigned to the Enterprise and moved up in rank I would hear from her often and our mother and daughter relationship continued. I was so proud of her, she was fulfilling her dream. As a mother, you always worry about your children, no matter how old they get or how far they go. I didn't want her far from me, my only child. I was pleased when I found out that Charlene was with her and I knew she wasn't alone and slowly I met another woman friend named Christine. I didn't hear much about bullying or the friendships she had developed."

Saana held her head down, as she reflected her thoughts about Starfleet.

Spock reflected on the story about his wife from Saana's perspective and recognized the similarities in their struggles. His own father and Vulcan High Command were appalled about his decision to join Starfleet rather than the Vulcan Science Academy. Sarek had expressed it was a family tradition and required, and he too struggled with the purpose to serve in such an institution. Spock continued to listen as he compared his wife's choice for Starfleet.

Even Amanda saw the parallel of both children: how they made the difficult choice of careers and how it had to driven them away from their families with stress.

Saana continued with Nyota on the Enterprise.

"Nyota loved serving on the Enterprise. She would share how she made friends, her missions, her promotion to Lieutenant, her commanding officers. She talked so much about them I felt I was there with her. Sulu, Chapel, Mr. Scott, and Dr. McCoy, she would speak about them so highly. Her skills were being used and she felt like part of a family. She would describe each person on the bridge, how they impact her life and career. Because of that, I started to feel a little peace that she was safe. When I saw the wedding vid-pic, I saw a special bond and relationship. I am so proud of her."

"But still, I hated Starfleet."

"I was still dealing with my feelings towards them. I wanted to heal from the past. I just couldn't... a part of me didn't want to."

Saana sighed and continued her story.

"Nyota was happy serving on the Enterprise, out in space exploring the universe, while I was on Earth working at the university. When I didn't hear from her for about three weeks, I got concerned. There was nothing from the Enterprise or Starfleet. Then I got a vid-comlink; I will never forget the day, the hour, or the dreaded feeling when Nyota finally did reach me. Her face was blank and confused as she looked at me like she didn't recognize me and then she said...she said 'Are you my mother?' I lost it."

Saana cryed and choked, sobbing with deep streaks flowing down her face as she remembered that moment. Amanda jumped up to get her a tissue and hugged her.

Spock whispered, "Nomad." [3]

He remembered that day, and the incident well. A part of his Vulcan heart was affected when he witnessed the robot attack Nyota. He remembered the look on her face when she was escorted off the bridge, forever pictured in his mind. She looked like she was looking through him into his soul trying to find him. That moment the only person he shared precious time with was gone. Flashes of them playing their Vulcan lyres, her singing in the rec-room and working side by side. The hope of love that he wanted from her was gone in an instant when the robot stole her thoughts from her entire life. He remembered the crew's response to the whole event, a loss they couldn't recover, it affected the whole ship. Especially him.

"Then Dr. McCoy appeared on the screen and he explained her injury, that a robot wiped out her entire memory. That he and Christine were doing everything to help to reteach her and that Swahili was the first thing she remembered. That Nyota was working really hard to regain her thoughts, and that Captain Kirk refused to transfer her to a medical facility or starbase and that he was doing everything possible."

"I hate Starfleet!"

Saana said in a strained voice, twisting the tissue in her balled fist.

"My child, my only child couldn't ... she couldn't remember her own mother. She's out there in space alone with no family to comfort her. McCoy said he would keep me updated. Then I didn't hear from him for about six weeks. I was so hurt and felt helpless that I couldn't do anything to save her or be there. It hurts so much for a mother."

Saana wiped her eyes, now swollen for recounting the dreadful incident. Even Amanda who sat next to her was crying as well. She thought about the bridge between Spock and Sarek, those eighteen years of not speaking. The Babel Conference was the answered prayer for a mother to see them talk again as father and son. And even now to see them tell a joke made her heart swell. But she also remembered how she almost lost both because of Sarek's heart attack. She too wiped her eyes. To have both men back together, she was truly grateful.

After a crying pause, Amanda gave her water to drink and clear her throat.

"Thank you, Amanda. I guess you know what true mothers go through for the sake of family."

"Saana yes I do, yes I do and it never ends." As Amanda sat next to her again and continued to hug her for support.

"For six weeks I just got recorded messages of reports from Dr. McCoy that she was improving or they were running tests. Not knowing if she would ever recognize me again. Waiting for bits and pieces of her family to come back. Or the love that her father had for her. That was a tremendous weight on me. Then I got a com-link from her with her winning smile, she recognized me and called me 'momma'. Nyota told me all her memories were back, the good and the bad. She apologized for making me worried and she told me the whole recovery steps."

Saana sat up holding her hands tightly and looked at Spock and said in a broken voice:

"Thank you-thank you so much for saving my 'Star'.

Thank God for you that you decided to join Starfleet.

Thank you for saving and loving my daughter.

Thank you for giving back her memories.

Thank you for being my son-in-law."

Then looking at Sarek and Amanda.

"Thank you all, for letting me be a part of this family. I am honored. You see, Kayode's side of the family wished me well and a long life, but my side of the family, the Buhari's, resented our children's union. I've been by myself to deal with this so your family accepting me means a lot."

All you could hear were two women sniffing or crying. Sharing was a toll on Saana, she had kept her feelings to herself and never shared with anyone until she came to Vulcan. Two mothers love their men and children.

Sarek got up and gathered his wife in his arms where she rested on his chest. He felt the grief of Saana, to hear her, touched his thoughts deeply. The idea of losing one child. Just coming from the memorial of the Intrepid was cause for many deep feelings, as a Vulcan and he was not exempt. Even now, Sybok is nowhere to be found. He clearly understands his son's purpose and will not interfere again with his choice in career or life. Spock's wife completed him as a Vulcan male, and the strength of their bond was proof of something greater. He decided in that moment to make his feelings clear to Amanda.

"Aduna, please accept my apology. I will mend my relationship with our son."

Amanda looked up at him with so much love. "Thank you Adun, they will need us in the future."

"I agree. They will be a driving force in this universe"

"I love you Adun"

"K'hat'n'dlawa Aduna"

Amanda released Sarek and went back to hugging Saana.

"Saana you are family, and don't let a living soul tell you differently. I'm glad you are my friend and I'm not alone. Thank you for sharing that, I can see it took a lot to say and you did it by yourself. But now you have a whole clan that you can lean on."

"Thanks Sarek and Amanda"

Still sniffing, Amanda stood up. "I'll make some more tea for us."

Spock observed this intense moment, all these emotions were rare for a Vulcan family. He remembered when he decided to mind-meld with Nyota to restore her memory. He had explained to Kirk that when he melded with Nomad, he found Nyota's consciousness, her essence, and kept it. Jim told him to restore it, but then how would they explain Spock's extra abilities? It was a secret between the four of them. McCoy came up with a medical report saying Nyota's memory slowly returned on its own. Spock only wanted Nyota to be his lifeline, he waited patiently until the Eleusian mission.[4]

"Please, excuse me while I attend to my wife. Thank you, Mother Saana, for your compliments."

"Not compliments Spock, but facts and reality."

With that Spock headed to his suite to check on Nyota and prepared himself to address the T'Pring issue.

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N:

Star Trek TOS: Amok Time [1]

: The Journey to Babel [2]

: The Changling [3]

The Battle for Spock Part 1: chapter 6 [4]

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.