Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: SilverMoonfire Summary: Spock and Nyota had come to an understanding about T'Pring, for the moment, she was no longer an after-thought in their marriage. Now, the men will have their time to converse about love and marriage.

See the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Family Time of Bonding Torn Relationships: part 1

The next day Sarek decided to spend time with his son. After these last couple of years, Sarek had deliberated about his relationship with his second son. He had pondered the statements from his wife, his mother and (just recently) Saana. They all connected back to Spock joining Starfleet. After his failure with Sybok, Sarek had attempted to maintain family traditions. Traditions that had failed him time after time. He thought about his own personal prejudices, "Do these thoughts and actions, in any way, reflect on my marriage to Amanda?" Sarek wondered: "I excused one with the other, were they logical choices?" He often meditated on his judgment against Spock's attendance success in Starfleet. During those meditations, Sarek had weighed the pros and cons of Starfleet since its inception. Vulcan High Command, himself included, had determined that the institution was primitive, and against their philosophy of peace. That his son had become a part of that institution, against the tradition of their forefathers, had placed a barrier between them. A barrier he had refused to move until his marriage, when his previous bond with T'Pring was unsuccessful, and it drove a deeper wedge in the father/son relationship. Even his relationship with Amanda had suffered, she had warned him for years of T'Pring's intentions. He had thought them the result of her emotional point of view. Overreacting to tradition was something Vulcanians didn't do, "Kaiidth".

Yet, they missed the deadline for Spock's marriage, it came and went before they could arrive to proceed. Then the scandal was revealed that Captain Kirk, from the Enterprise, was the challenger. The man that was instrumental in saving the Intrepid ship. The man that was instrumental in saving him. The man that was instrumental in saving his son. T'Pau, with all her self control, had faltered that day. She had grieved with Spock over the loss of his only friend, then when it was revealed that the captain had survived and she commended the Terrans for their ingenuity.

The events following the Intrepid changed the dynamics between their family, clan and all Vulcanians. If he could say aloud that he was proud of his son, he would. Sarek took a deep breath and exited his meditation, determined to have a father and son conversation to reunite his estranged immediate family. As a S'haile, a prince in his own right, Surak would approve of such a restorative action. He would tackle the issues between himself and his young son this day, and continue to meditate on his lost son.

Sarek unfolded himself and adjusted his robes as he left to seek his son. On his way, he heard the laughter of females conversing. Yes, the household decimal level had increased again with the addition of another female. His brows had rose at the sound and his ears became irritated.

"I will not become accustomed to the constant conversation that the presence of Terran females seems to necessitate."

He concluded his journey to Spock's suite and announced himself. Father and son stood together, looking eye to eye.

"Greetings, sa-fu."

Spock bowed his head, "Greeting sa-mekh, how can I be of service?"

"I would be gratified if you would join me in a camping excursion on the compound. The quietness will entertain our thoughts."

At that moment a wave of laughter engulfed them. Spock, seeing his father's point, agreed.

"Yes, I see, I will retrieve my equipment."

"I've had Sevel prepare all the necessary equipment for our trip."

"I will need 7.35 minutes to change into the appropriate clothes."

"That will be agreeable, I will be waiting in the rear foyer."

Sarek and Spock returned to their suites to change clothes. Spock had not been on an excursion with his father since he was five years old, when his father trained him how to navigate the forge. Spock sensed his father's desire to seek the restoration of their relationship, and he was willing. It had been a long time.

After meeting in the foyer Sarek and Spock put on their backpacks and adjusted their cloaks, in case of sandstorms, before starting out on a well used trail behind the compound. Since Sarek's heart operation he had been able to walk with ease and regulate his body.

After 6 hours of walking the two men stopped to drink water and converse. Sarek decided this was the best opportunity to talk with Spock. There were times he wished he had the same conversation with Sybok, as Sarek often wondered where he was. The last reports had Sybok on the outer rim of Romulan space, Vulcan's distant cousin. Desiring to change the course of his relationship with Spock, he looked at his son and tried to start a conversation.

"Spock, have you and your wife made amends in regards to the topic of T'Pring?"

Spock looked at his father and thought about how Nyota and he had made some progress concerning T'Pring and other subjects.

"Yes, we have come to an understanding. We have agreed that it is illogical for my aduna to over-react where T'Pring is concerned. I believe she lacks a complete understanding of why T'Pring's clan is giving homage."

"Indeed, I hope your wife comes to understand our ways. Amanda struggled in the beginning of our marriage and she continues to superimpose human ideals on our ways, on occasion. Has Nyota found Vulcan agreeable?"

"I have not given her the opportunity to explore Vulcan as other priorities have risen."

Sarek realized that Spock had an advantage in his marriage which he himself had not possessed, access to an elder who was bonded with a Terran female. Perhaps, in giving advice on their temperament, he could support his son.

"Spock, now that you are bonded...bonded to a Terran like I am, do you need any advice?"

Spock considered the question, he does have the advantage of being married to his mother, he will seek advice in the future if needed.

"Not at the moment father, I am aware so far of the Terran female.. emotional influx during their monthly biological functions."

"Yes, be aware that you avoid interpretation of certain comments that would lead to miscommunication and an upset spouse."

"Indeed, I agree."

Sarek looked into Spock's eyes and prepared himself.

"Sa-fu, over the years logic has been the Vulcan way of life. As your father I have instructed you in the ways of our forefathers. It was, and is, my duty to maintain the structure of our people, our clan, and our family. In doing so, I have failed you. I have failed to account for the possibilities of your chosen path would reflect in the present. The Intrepid incident is proof of this. Even now, your grandmother is reconsidering her ways of interpreting your value to our clan, open minds invite open opportunities."

Spock looked at his father and blinked several times as he processed this information. A bridge was being offered to him, a bridge that they were both crossing to meet in the middle.

"Father, I have and always will value your opinion. My dual heritage interfered with my upbringing, causing a rift in my experience and interpretation of both cultures. I am a hybrid, one of a kind, but because of the logic of Surak I have found peace. A peace I struggled to attain for some time, until my aduna. She has shown me that my purpose is no longer a solitary one. But rather, a journey of thoughts and ideas, of IDIC, which all Vulcan claim they value. T'Pau and yourself have demonstrated those ideals since I was a child. Even now, you continue to do so when dealing with the conflict concerning High Command. Revealing to me a parents' investment in the well being of their child. For that sa-mekh, I am grateful."

Now it was Sarek's turn to blink and comprend his son's words as they penetrated every area of his thoughts. He has demonstrated growth, not garnered through the immediate influence of his father, but from Spock's own personal experiences.

"Fascinating my son, your logic has expanded, even living among humans."

"Yes, meditation is required to regulate the flow of emotions that are overabundant on a starship."

"I can see that would be a challenge on a daily basis, how have you achieved such a feat?"

Frequent meditation is essential, being a commander allows me to take them."

"I often have to recess from the strenuous confrontations of being an ambassador, your mother provides for the excuse of 'downtime' from people's interactions."

Sarek paused, "My son, do you agree that we have achieved clarity in this situation?"

"Yes father, we have come to an understanding of our differences."

Sarek lifted his hand in the ta'al and stepped forward to join his hand to Spock's. Their hands touched for the first time in decades, as father and son bonding. The touch signified a familial bond reunited. Spock opened himself to the family bond, it flowed through him and out to his immediate family (Sarek, T'Pau, Amanda, Nyota and even Sybok-his whereabouts still unknown). Now they too would feel the full surge of his telepathy, and only them.

Sarek felt his son's strength through the familial bond, and felt the presence of his family.

T'Pau was amazed by the strong flow that Spock projected. It was likely his mind could extend to other Vulcans with ease. She was pleased with his presence, it indicated that the relationship between Sarek and he had mended.

"Congratulations Sarek, I am pleased with the restoration of the family. Spock you are well received, and thank you for what you have done for the family."

"Thanks is not necessary T'Pau. I desire only to be understood and accepted."

"Mother, we are bonding on the respect, we wish to continue."

"Sa-lar ( men in vulcan)" and left them.

Spock smirked at T'Pau's remark and raised a brow.

"I believe T'Pau is upset with you father."

"I believe so, let us continue. I have asked Shath to join us in this Vulcan male bonding."

Spock raised a brow and adjusted his backpack, "Male bonding? Very interesting."

Both men continued on the journey across the plain in the high heat, identifying creatures Spock had not seen since his youth.

About an hour later, they intercepted Healer Shath who also had his camping equipment. He held up a ta'al in greetings to his cousin and his cousin's son.

"S'haile Sarek and S'haile Spock, I am honored to participate in your forge excursion. It has been some time since I have taken such an exercise."

"You are welcomed, it is likely we will encounter other males and females in our path, this is often training time for youths," stated Sarek.

"Then your services may be needed, Shath, should we come upon an injured child," added Spock.

"Indeed."

The men continued walking in the wilderness, observing creatures from their youth and plant life considered to be edible. As the two suns were setting the men found a cliff to set up camp. Elevation away from the night creatures was always the best option. They worked in silence, using a fluorescent, low beam lamp to avoid drawing the attention of nocturnal animals. Sarek had brought a stun phaser for the aggressive ones. Once their beds and equipment were set up, they sat together and ate quietly.

Shath had a great deal on his mind, in particular, a woman. His curiosity had been piqued by observing the interactions of two of the most intelligent men on the planet with their bonded females, two Terran females. He was impressed with the qualities Sanaa possessed as a female of her planet. He found her and her attributes fascinating and wondered if a scientific study should be done.

"May I make an inquiry?"

Sarek and Spock looked at Shath through the dim light that gave off shadows of their faces from their elevated campsite.

"Is there time expectancy in Terran female courtship?"

Spock arched his brow, while Sarek looked at Shath.

"Your inquiry on Terran females is logical Shath."

"S'haile Sarek, was there a Terran courtship with Lady Amanda?"

Sarek took awhile to respond, no one had asked how he met Amanda. At least, not another Vulcan.

"Lady Amanda was with the diplomatic corps on Earth. With her use of dialects and pronunciations of the Vulcan language, she was instrumental in enhancing the universal translator. Often I would find Terrans as one dimensional, but Lady Amanda displayed the opposite, I found her contributions to be intriguing. We had a disagreement about programming the translator, she became emotional towards me without cause."

Spock and Shath looked at each other and waited for an explanation and then Spock asked,

"Then, mother took interest in you in the name of the translator?"

Sarek cleared his throat. "It was her... reaction to my terms of.. bonding that I found fascinating."

Sarek jumbled through the retelling of his courtship, he had angered Amanda by correcting her pronunciation of Golic Vulkhansu. He had done it on purpose; she had mastered modern Vulkhansu with ease. Her emotional outburst was a site to see; the color of her face, the sharpness of her eyes, had pierced his Vulcan soul. Yes, Amanda had garnered his attention and won his heart. What made matters worse was that she was dating another man at the time, a man who was offended and challenged him. Amanda Grayson was attractive to other male species, that put him on guard. After two days of observing her, and her interactions with other male species, Sarek staked his claim.

Spock wanted to smile so badly at his father's statement, he had almost expressed his courtship in human terms. The question remained, why was Shath asking? Spock turned to the older Vulcan.

"Is there some information you wish to gain Shath?"

He didn't speak at first, he was formulating an answer. But Sarek answered for him,

"He is inquiring about Professor Uhura."

Spock's brow rose again. "Indeed, I assume that you are interested in the Professor for bonding?"

"Yes." Shath said, "I desire to court Professor Uhura, and I was informed that Terran females require courtship to find compatibility."

Sarak added, "Shath almost performed the koon-ut so'lik on the Professor, I advised him to wait. The Professor is unaware of our ways, to initiate a bonding without her full understanding, is illogical and could be considered forced."

"I do not wish to force Saana into something that she is not aware of, I know she has been unattached for some time. According to records, her former spouse has been deceased for approximately 20 years." stated Shath.

Spock envisioned his grandmother, in a fit of rage, at finding another male from the S'chn T'gai clan married to a Terran. T'Pau would condemn all travel to Earth, she would state she'd never believed in witchcraft, but would consider its existence when it came to the men of this clan.

"It was wise, father, to advise Shath of the potential repercussions of such a request. Professor Uhura is part of our family and subject to our current laws. Instruction is the best course, Shath I would remind you that Professor Uhura is my mother-in-law. No harm or emotional outburst caused by you will be permitted."

"I shall proceed with caution."

" It would also be in your best interest to keep my wife in mind. She is a Starfleet officer and I am her husband."

Shath didn't know how to interpret that threat, but it was obvious he was not to hurt Saana.

"I do not understand the... attraction. Does it go beyond their physical attributes? S'haile Sarek and Spock, clarify your reasons for bonding to a Terran?"

Sarek and Spock looked at each other and both cleared their throats before Sarek replied.

"It is an experience one could ascertain, it is difficult to explain the intimate components."

Shath sat quietly and tried to interpret his meaning, but his mind was settled on the woman of his desire.

"If I bond with Professor Uhura, will I have clarity? I desire to understand the basis of compatibility on which you chose Terran wives?"

Sarek refused to voice the reason, or reasons, why he chose Amanda to marry. It was his secret. Now Spock understood why he married his mother. It had deeper facets that could not be explained or shared.

"Shath, it is illogical to ask such an intimate question. Once the bonding is complete, things of that nature could be explained. As I said before, Terran females are complex creatures. Their temperament is a... challenge to begin with."

Now he needed to work on the courtship to elicit her consent.

"I shall seek rest and meditation now, Spock and I have to return to the estate of our wives to prepare for the reception. At the moment my mind needs rest."

"Yes, the female tendency to giggle often irritates the Vulcan auditory system." Spock added.

Shath looked at both men and realized the truth of their statement. Their ears needed rest.

During the night, Spock was conversing with Nyota,

"Aduna you need rest, the extra intimate activity should have depleted you physically."

"You are a stud, you know that. When you talk like that, it gets me worked up. Maybe I should go out there and help you sleep!"

"Nyota, please restrain yourself."

A strong pinkish- orange glow illuminated their bond.

"Sleep my K'hat'n'dlawa."

"Good night ashayam."

Spock closed the bond so he could be aware of his environment, and went into a light, meditative sleep.

The three Vulcans woke up before the suns peaked over the cliffs and did their meditation routine. They packed up their sleeping materials, ate packaged bread and lightly consumed water.

Shath heard a sound in the distance and turned towards it. He observed a young male Vulcan hiking on the edge of the Forge, moving with ease and pacing himself. The child had a good start according to tradition. Shath focused on the child's health, noting he appeared healthy for his quest, Shath returned to packing and hoped the child would pass his quest with ease.

The men started the walk back to the estate where they needed to make plans for Altairs VI the next day. The two day wedding reception is something Spock didn't know how to prepare for. All of Vulcan would receive him for his contributions. As they continued walking, Sarek brought up another concern.

"Spock, before we depart tomorrow for Altairs VI, T'Pau has assigned Vanguards for you and your wife for the duration of the reception."

"May I ask why?"

"The majority of Vulcan High Command will be attending the reception. The concern stems from the likelihood that the Science Division healers would attempt to engage you concerning your abilities. T'Pau requested that no interference be tolerated during the reception."

Spock thought about it for a moment and agreed. He didn't want anyone to inquire about him, nor his choice of wife to be questioned. It was a time of celebration.

"I agree with the guards, I will explain the reasons to Nyota as well. She at first will reject such an idea, once I explain the two days of security on the planet is for the safety of her mother, she will agree."

Shath stopped and looked at Spock, "I will provide safety for Professor Uhura. As her intended, I will protect her."

Sarek and Spock just blinked at the poor man who had made up his mind to bond with Nyota's mother. Like all Vulcan males, once their mind was made up on a female, there was no turning back. Spock raised both brows and shook his head.

Sarek spoke again on the subject.

"Shath, it would not be wise to.. stake your claim on the professor. Again, I request you use restraint on the subject."

Spock added, "You do not know if she displayed her intentions for your bonding."

"As you both say, I will attempt this restraint which I see no need to provide. I will offer my property as safe dwelling for her future life."

"Terran's do not see that as the opportunity you see it as Shath, your judgment is flawed. Unwise decisions invite unwarranted reactions."

"My son speaks the truth, Shath. We have known each other for decades. Logical thoughts have best served us, have they not?"

Shath thought about it, "I will do as you say, I will restrain my advances."

Spock and Sarek looked at each other and each raised a brow. Spock thought to himself that his cousin had developed strong desires for the professor in just a week. Does mother Uhura even know what she is in for? Vulcan males don't give up on their pursuit. The men continued their hike and observed the natural creatures around them, some were dangerous and others participated in the circle of life.

When the men came in range of the estate some of the aides came and relieved them of their backpacks. They were guided to a small house where the men discarded their hiking clothes and showered in the communal stall. The water was refreshing against their skin. Clothes were left for them as they silently donned their robes. The bright sun and hot wind dried their hair as they walked to the main house and stepped into the foyer to be greeted by Sevel.

"I hope your excursion was satisfactory, S'haile Sarek and Spock."

"Indeed." responded Spock.

"Yours as well Healer Shath."

"The solitude has restored my mental capacity."

Sevel turned to Sarek, "Lady Amanda is in her study awaiting your arrival with Professor Uhura." then informed Spock, "Lady Uhura is resting in her suite."

"Thank you Sevel, your service honors us," stated Sarek.

"I am here to serve, do you require any nourishment?"

"Serve us tea in the study Sevel."

Sevel bowed his head and went to prepare the tea. Spock looked at the two men. "I will attend to my wife, excuse me father and Shath."

He left towards his end of the estate to find Nyota.

Sarek and Shath entered the study to find two women reading on their Padds, Shath was mesmerized by Uhura. She was involved in her reading, her face glowing from the light of her Padd, her lashes touched her cheek. It did something to his heart and mind, nothing compared to his first wife. They were matched by their families, they raised a child together, it was expected. But now, this attraction to this woman is much different, will he recover. Amanda looked up and saw them.

"Sarek you have returned, did you enjoy your male bonding?" she asked smartly.

At the same time Saana looked and locked eyes with Shath, and she felt warm all over.

Amanda continued to converse with Sarek, "Would you both like some tea?"

"Sevel is preparing it as we speak."

Amanda looked at Shath and noticed his uneasiness, "Shath are you joining us?"

Shath looked at Amanda and Sarek and remembered what he should do about the situation. "I came to give greetings to Lady Amanda and Professor Uhura. I have other duties that call for my attention."

Amanda responded, "Alright, then we will see you tomorrow when we all leave together for Altairs."

Shath bowed:"Yes, sochya eh dif, Sarek, Amanda and Professor Uhura." He turned and left. It took all of his willpower to walk down the hallway and out the door. He didn't look back, he couldn't, he would bond with her if he stayed. That he was sure of.

Amanda looked at Sarek. "What was that about?"

"Please do not inquire," signed Sarek.

Saana was staring at the empty doorway where a man once stood, her heart more conflicted than ever.


Meanwhile, Spock opened the door to his suite, toed his shoes off, and pulled off his robe and tunic. He walked quietly towards his bed and stopped at the sight of a naked woman laying on the bed with just a smile on her face.

"Well hello handsome, I've been waiting for you," as she patted the empty space next to her.

"Nyota." he said softly and proceeded to remove the rest of his clothes to join her with excitement.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.