Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Beta Reader: SilverMoonfire


Summary: After watching Admiral Nimitz swoop in and take Saana, poor Shath had to deal with his feelings. Nyota finally met T'Pring and was able to put her in her place.

See the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

The Aftermath

Chester was excited, thrilled even, to have Saana walking beside him. After weeks of waiting patiently he was finally alone with her.

"Your daughter's reception is a hit Saana. People are excited about this event. And I am happy to see you again."

Saana looked into Chess' silver-gray eyes and saw his warmth, she knew he was interested in her. 'Can she claim the same?', she thought to herself.

"I know! Like I said, things happened so fast between the news media, getting to Vulcan and finally meeting my fantastic son-in-law. I didn't know Spock is highly respected in Starfleet."

Still holding her arm, Chester wondered if he could pursue a romantic relationship. They both call Earth home, it would take a transporter for him to beam to South Africa. He would like to have someone to share his life with.

"Commander Spock is legendary in his field. He is sought after in most missions and his expertise in the Science Division makes him the most respected scientist in this century."

"Wow! I didn't know that, I'm learning more and more about my new family. I heard of Ambassador Sarek before his wife, without knowing that Spock was their son."

"Quite correct, Vulcanians keep to themselves. They are very private."

Chester stopped and turned to Saana, leaning down and lightly touching his lips to hers. Saana reacted by blushing and touching her lips. She hadn't been kissed, to any degree, in decades. She looked in awe at Chester.

"Wh-y, wh-y di-d you do that?"

Chester smiled, chuckling, and said in his deep voice,

"If you haven't noticed, Saana, you are a very beautiful woman. I find you attractive and I would like to pursue this further, with your permission."

Saana looked down at her feet and thought about Reuben and Shath, the other two men that were interested in her. Amanda had been trying to guide in the field of dating, but Saana didn't feel confident, she felt afraid. Afraid she would hurt someone's feelings, her heart had never been so confused. But one thing she knew, she wasn't a flirt or a gigola, she was Saana Uhura.

"Chess, I have a confession, and I hope you'll understand. I did like the kiss, I see you're a compassionate man. I like what you did for me, getting me here to Vulcan and giving me the memorial disc for Kay. That meant so much to my daughter and me. But.."

"Are you seeing someone else Saana?"

"NO, it's just that courtship is not on my agenda. There are other men vying for my attention. I didn't plan on dating, well I did have some sort of a date with a man in my town. I was being friendly, trying to get out of my shell. I don't want to lead you on in any way Chester. You've awakened something in me that I never thought could happen again. So, what I am asking for is time. Time to let me figure out who I am."

Chess took a deep breath and sighed. He did understand, he was disappointed, but he understood.

"I thank you for your honesty Saana, it's a great quality that is needed everywhere, and I will respect your feelings. But I will ask you again in the future. I'm not so far from you that I couldn't just hop on a beam and be on your doorstep."

Saana looked up at him with relief, "Thank you so much, I think you're a handsome man, and can't believe that you're not snatched!"

Chester chuckled again, "You think I'm handsome?"

Saana nodded yes, laughing, "So do most of the females trailing you here at this reception."

" That may be, but I am only seeking an audience with you."

"Oh, that's sweet, but let's continue to enjoy ourselves."

Saana was relieved that part was cleared up, she didn't want to lead him on.

Chester guided Saana back to the main reception area.


Later on that night, after the long reception, many returned to their suites and prepared for the next day.

Vora and her brother Arnak shared a room and she informed him of the encounter with T'Pring.

"Arnak, I ask forgiveness."

"Speak, my sister."

"T'Uhura had an encounter."

"Yes, with the female who approached the S'haile. It was correct to intervene."

Vora sat down and looked at her older brother,

"No, it was with T'Pring of the S'leh-nau clan."

Arnak stopped the security monitor check for the suites and gave his sister a curious look.

"Indeed?"

"Yes, it was the most interesting transaction. T'Pring sought to insult T'Uhura for being a Terran, and being bonded to S'haile Spock."

"Interesting, it is unusual for a Vulcan to instigate such an altercation."

"It had to do with Spock and T'Pring's Kal-i-farr, she challenged it."

Arnak's brow rose with curiosity.

"She challenged the S'haile over Stonn?"

"Yes Arnak, but she did not offer Stonn as the challenger, rather she chose the S'haile's human commander."

"Indeed? A very unorthodox, and risky, choice. I am, however, confused. Captain Kirk is still alive."

"Yes, Arnak, all three men are alive and well. It was a very interesting Kal-i-fee, yet Stonn is bonded to T'Pring."

"Stonn somehow is the victor, it does not explain the challenge."

"I agree, it was interesting how the conversation evolved. T'Uhura accused T'Pring of displaying open emotions during that event, practically calling her human."

"Fascinating, a tactical move by T'Uhura."

"It is most interesting that the S'haile's Kal-i-farr was not openly reported, it was silenced."

"Indeed, all were led to believe there was little to the situation. It was most curious how the Kal-i-fee concluded."

Vora stood straight and looked at her brother.

"I am honored to serve T'Uhura on this assignment, she used her intellect to resolve the issue. T'Pring was disrespectful towards her. But T'Uhura was the victor, her accusation of T'Pring responding like a human was most satisfying to observe. T'Uhura displayed strong leadership and character, qualities of a S'haile's wife."

"Indeed, we are here to serve."

Arnak was pleased that his sister had an open mind about Spock being half-Vulcan.

"I will take first duty, securing the suites. You will begin your shift later at 0600hrs. Now rest my sister."

"Yes, Commander Arnak."


Meanwhile in Sarek and Amanda's suite:

Amanda was thinking of how blessed she was, life had turned out for the better. Spock was married, T'Pau had defended Spock and the clan, Sarek and Spock were talking like father and son. But, most importantly, the pleasant surprise, they told an almost human-like joke! Amanda giggled to herself. It's been the best time of her life, gaining a new friend and daughter-in-law in a little over three months.

"It has been a long day my wife, come and rest beside me."

Amanda finished brushing and wrapping her hair for bed, and turned to him with a smile.

"Yes, it was long and it was worth it. Where were you? I was looking for you."

"The Vulcan guards were present, should you have required them. As for my whereabouts, I was with Shath."

Amanda took off her robe and got into bed with Sarek, cuddling next to him and rested her head on his firm chest.

"He wasn't there either, what happened?"

"It appears his interest with Professor Uhura has heightened, to the point that he almost physically engaged with Admiral Nimitz for touching her."

"OH-WOW, that would've been bad."

"Indeed, such a physical display of emotions from Shath would have been grounds for federation intervention. I assisted Shath, by returning here with him to meditate."

"It doesn't surprise me, Saana has a couple of beaus vying for her attention. I was surprised that one of them was Nimitz, she turned him into butter when they were talking."

Sarek looked at her curiously, " 'Turned to butter'? I don't understand that phrase."

Amanda giggled, "Nimitz is a hard nose Commander of the Fleet. He never smiles, or gives compliments, and has a stringent tone of voice. When he introduced himself today he was laughing, being nice because of Saana. I was caught off guard and did a double take. He even told me to call him Chester for the rest of the reception. She turned him into soft butter."

"Interesting, is Professor Uhura now interested in a relationship with Admiral Nimitz?"

"I don't know. After watching Saana and how other male species interact with her, she can have any choice she wants. So, how is Shath taking it?"

"I have managed to convince him to meditate on the situation, in order to regulate his self-control over Professor Saana. As you say- 'only time will tell'."

"I find it interesting that Orion Ambassador Etora is still trying to get your attention," Amanda said smiling.

Sarek's brows rose, he had no interest in the scantily clad female. She's been trying for decades to draw his attention, even amplifying her pheromones despite his natural immunity to them. Only Amanda's scent that he noticed, even after all these years, only she has a way to draw him out. So, he repaid the favor.

"I've noticed the Andorian Ambassador Gaio spent an extensive amount of time in your presence."

Amanda giggled into his chest at the responding banter, after all these years Sarek still has that magnetism about him. She snuggled closer to him and drifted off to sleep and whispered.

"Killer."


In another suite, a father and daughter talked about the reception.

Droxine's aide completed combing and braiding her hair for bed.

"Thank you Cersa, it takes so long to detangle my hair."

"It is not a problem, it is my duty to serve you, have a good night." The young woman bowed before leaving.

Droxine got up from the mirror and sat on her chaise, reflecting on the reception events. She was disappointed with herself and what had happened. Saddened that Mr. Spock was..was married, she had had to see it for herself. She looked back to when he had visited Stratos, Spock had actually flirted with her, describing her as 'a work of art'. Her heart wanted to be with him, but the conflict between the castes of her planet had been a rift in their budding relationship.

Her father entered her room.

"Droxine, I hope you are feeling better."

"I am confused and hurt of course, my father. I didn't expect Mr. Spock to marry, I am disappointed."

"He is a space traveler, he meets all kinds of people."

"But she works with him, I guess I was hoping it would be me. Vulcan men are so intriguing and so handsome. I can understand his wife finding him attractive as well."

"I hope you are not disappointed that he is married now."

"Yes, I wanted closure I suppose, but I also wanted to see if he still has feelings for me, as I do for him."

"Droxine, it seems Mr. Spock is an important leader and an esteemed officer in Starfleet, that is why there was extra security."

"I noticed father, and I noticed his wife's as well. She was angry with me for approaching Spock."

Plasus went to hug his hurting daughter.

"Do not worry, you will find someone for you. It will come."

Droxine gave a deep sigh, tears forming in her eyes.

"He opened my mind to the plights of our world. Since the Troglytes,... I am so grateful for him Father. I will miss Spock dearly."

Droxine wrapped her arms around her father for comfort.


In Shath's chambers:

Sitting alone in the dark was Shath, in his suite, nursing a broken heart. As a male Vulcan, he had never been in this situation. He had never let his emotions rule him as they were now. He watched his K'diwa talk to another male, it was a simple matter for her, but not for him. He let his Vulcan nature of possessiveness overrule his logic. No good could come from that, so he returned to his suite to meditate and put his thoughts in order. He is a healer, a Vulcan. He will maintain self-control, yet his thoughts go back to the reception where Saana was gliding across the floor with ease. Smiling and touching. Shath took a deep breath, closed his eyes and envisioned Saana.

"She will be my bondmate, all I need is patience"


James Kirk was resting on his bed, reflecting on seeing T'Pring again. The woman that almost had him killed in ritual combat by his best friend. He hadn't thought about it much, until seeing her with her husband, he hadn't really thought about it at all. Stonn still didn't look like a contender compared to Spock, and he was half human. He thought about how the fight could have gone, and how he could have been stuck with a Vulcan wife who had orchestrated the demise of her future husband. It's likely she would have found a way to kill him, to get back together with Stonn, that cold hearted b$tch!

Nothing was more shocking than Nimitz being all lovey dovey with Nyota's mother. Nyota would move up in the ranks if those two hooked up! "I wonder how that would work out? Maybe he will be nicer to me." Boy, he had me fooled, I will never look at him the same!" Then he thought about all the lovely women he had met and set up dates with. He had one tomorrow, a cute number from one of the delegations. Smiling at his handy-work, Kirk flipped on his side and went to sleep.


Back on Earth,

Rueben sat on his bed, an empty bottle in his hand, looking at the dark TV. He had watched the broadcast from the reception. Had seen her, the love of his life, having a great time in a dress that was lovely on her. He saw the interview, where Saana didn't mention him or Earth. Not that she should, it was just made worse because she hadn't reached out to him. He watched all the eligible men talking to her while Saana gave her winning smile. But he saw the look in their eyes, they were interested in her. Him not being there to protect or claim her, either as a friend or boyfriend, made him feel that much worse. Rueben remembered that she wanted to start slow, he honored her request, and now he was paying for it. Flopping back on the bed and covering his eyes in disappointment, he started to process the possibility that he might not see her again.


The second day of the reception

About noon on the second day the music was played by an orchestra composed of Vulcans, they adapted their ensembles to the different cultures represented at the reception. Lunch was buffet-style, with different rooms catering to all kinds of palates, and settings where people could enjoy their stay. The majority of the Vulcanians were in the room tailored primarily to vegetarian cuisines and Saana took the opportunity to document all the other culinary selections as ideas kept popping in her head.

Being given the opportunity to once again showcase Saana, Nyota and Amanda's gowns, Eve was broadcasting again for "Everlasting Love". She was able to describe her latest creations and styles. Nyota and Saana wore native gowns with geometric patterns, with Spock wearing a complimentary robe set that matched Nyota's gown. Spock wanted to display his respect for his wife's culture and their unity. The fact that he found the linen clothes comfortable had surprised him, until he realized the region the clothes were emulating originated in high heat areas. It was impressive that Lt. Brody had gone so far as to use the same materials, not simply copied the appearance of the clothing.

When they walked into the reception hall together, people around the universe saw Spock and Nyota's respect and tenderness for one another. Their authenticity had Everett and Michelle beside themselves. Not only was their devotion palpable to them, it was obvious their viewers appreciated it, with a 200% increase of viewers and their growing reputation. Professional jealousy grew apace beside it. Offers had been made for the company, since its broadcast of the reception had caused a jump in revenue and orders, many of the other media outlets had made offers for the rights to broadcast their vids of the venue.

The S'chn T'gai clan sat at a table with the President of the Federation and his wife during lunch. Demetrios was impressed by his interactions with Spock and Ambassador Sarek; he had visions of them working together in the future. Vulcanians had a persuasive way with words during disputes and he needed more effective recruits to resolve a lot of interplanetary issues.

At the end of the meal, they had the Vulcan orchestra play their wedding dance. Spock took Nyota's hand and led her to the dance floor when the music started. It was becoming a habit, this stepping out of tradition for Spock, but he would do anything for her. He waltzed with her again, and they danced with precision, the light touches on her waist and hand gave him pleasure. Slightly bending her body backward at certain parts of the song, staring into her eyes as they smoothly moved to the music. [1]

Amanda was touched, her eyes filling with tears, before two fingers appeared in front of her. When his wife reciprocated his ozh'esta, Sarek led her on to the dance floor before some male could intervene. Shock came over her face before it became a bright smile. Sarek hadn't danced publicly in decades, only in front of Amanda secretly. He has always been discreet concerning the intimate things around himself. But, with his son setting an example of diversity, he was incentivized to stand by his son.

Amanda was amazed by Sarek's fancy footwork during the waltz, and that he didn't mind dancing in front of his people and T'Pau. Slowly others joined the dance and floated around the room, Nyota smiling up at Spock as he twirled her around like on their wedding day.

Nimitz danced with Saana, whom hadn't danced in decades. She laughed as Chester twirled her around, as she kept tripping over his feet, and she felt at ease knowing that they would be just friends. Saana glanced at her daughter as she watched Spock gracefully dance with her. They looked beautiful together, she was at peace and Nyota was happy.

Sulu and Charlene gave dancing a try, acknowledging the continuing growth in their relationship as they did. She admired Karu in his dress uniform, he wasn't much of a dancer, but dancing together, they felt like they were in a world apart. Sulu started to see his future differently, and hoped that Charlene would be a part of it.

The universe watched the reception, with the diverse people chatting and dancing, demonstrating the Federation's purpose.

Demetrois was pleased at the turn of events, seeing delegates getting along and enjoying themselves. The Vulcan clan had set the standard for diplomacy and culture, Demetrois smiled. His wife tapped his arm as an invitation to dance and he took her by the hand, leading her to flow into the now crowded floor of people.

The people of Earth developed a better perspective of the universe around them, many applauded the reception versus when their marriage was announced. Many changed their feelings about the couple and recognized their prejudice was still ongoing.

There was a brief break for people to rest and return to one of the multiple gardens or huge halls for food or a quiet place of refuge. People milled in and out of the reception at their leisure.

After people had relaxed for a time, Spock and Nyota brought their ka'athyra with them on a raised platform. Their audience was amused and amazed that they played in unison and many applauded. Then Sarek, the grandmaster of the ka'athyra, joined them, and they played intriguing Vulcan songs that the people stood and applauded for.

Stonn was shocked and impressed that Spock's wife was skilled on the instrument. He was developing fond respect for the Terran. While his wife displayed disappointment through their bond. He had asked her earlier about her discontent, and she wouldn't reply. He could not understand the discord between T'Pring and Spock, he thought she had chosen him for his higher thinking and his ability to defend her honor. Yet that had been in question since the family had to start their compensation. Again, Stonn considered what the outcome would have been if he had challenged Spock. This fanfare would not be displayed nor would they be paying homage to Spock's clan for the next hundred years. The clan had even lost parts of their land. He turned to his wife.

"The Terran has shown a unique affinity for the ka'athyra, her precision with the songs are quite pleasing to hear."

T'Pring glared at Stonn for some time, wishing he had not said anything that referenced Spock's wife.

"If you believe her performance is acceptable," she deadpanned.

"It seems that the woman does display attributes that are aligned with our beliefs."

T'Pring stood still, processing yesterday's statements that Spock's wife wielded to admonish her, while doing her best to block out the whole event.

Then she saw him, the man of her dreams, walking with his wife and teenage son. That could have been her son, her marriage, all ruined by a childhood arrangement. Yes, she had wanted him, deserved him, since she was a child. T'Pring watched him engage with Spock and his wife, as if being watched, Spock lifted his eyes and locked in on T'Pring. She was disgusted again, he knew. Then the tall, good looking man turned around and saw her. Spock, Nyota, and the man with his wife and son, walked towards T'Pring and Stonn. They gave the traditional greetings, and the man spoke.

"T'Pring your presence honors me and my family."

T'Pring responded, "Harauk, your presence honors me and my bondmate."

His wife, Metana said, "T'Pring have you met our son N'Veyan? He is in the process of entering the Science Academy."

T'Pring looked at the young man, who was the very image of Harauk, who could have been her son, their son, N'Veyan.

"There are many opportunities at the Science Academy, though some have chosen other routes," T'Pring stated with a hint of slyness.

"Indeed, in this instance I was looking for clarity in my studies, and Commander Spock has expanded my knowledge about opportunities in Starfleet Academy. " N'Veyan said proudly.

T'Pring slowly looked at Spock and he challenged her to counteract the statement.

"Vulcan Science offers extensive research opportunities for the greater good of our people," T'Pring commented

"Yes, you are correct, but to seek knowledge and comprehension from other species sounds more challenging. Do you agree Commander Spock?"

Spock never took his eyes from T'Pring.

"Indeed, it opens opportunities for IDIC. I have experienced many interactions that have improved relations between species and a number of academic fields.

Harauk looked at Spock.

"Commander Spock, if you would guide my son in this endeavor it would be most honorable."

Spock arched his brow. "I believe Admiral Nimitz is here at my reception. I will inform him of N'Veyan's interest in the academy. Consider that he needs an open mind to deal with uncontained emotions that would permeate his senses."

"Commander Spock, if it would assist in expanding my capacity to tolerate exposure to excess emotions, then I welcome it." N'Veyan said.

All the while, Nyota took note of T'Pring's agitation.

Harauk looked at T'Pring. "It seems that my son is interested in Starfleet Academy. I am aware that both institutions offer great learning values to N'Veyan. We will see what results from my son's research into his learning opportunities. T'Pring, it is pleasant to see you and your bondmate, may you both live long and prosper."

He turned to his wife.

"My wife, attend."

The family departed for other areas of the reception, while Spock and Nyota bowed their heads and left, leaving an upset T'Pring.

"That was an 'Ouch' moment, I think T'Pring is pissed with you again my husband."

"Indeed, it seems I'm always on her unacceptable list."

You mean her 'sh t list. So, he's the one?"

"Yes, he is an honorable man, he chose his wife wisely."

Stonn did not understand the discourse he had felt coursing around the conversation, but he felt T'Pring's disquiet and led his wife into the garden for tranquility and conversation.

T'Pring felt insulted that Spock had encouraged N'Veyan to attend a Terran facility versus a Vulcan facility where she taught. She would have tutored N'Veyan personally, he would have been as her son. Spock had won again.


That evening Nyota stood on a platform with the invisible mic, and she started to sing "Beyond Antares" [2]while Spock played his instrument.

Her next song was more jazzy, "Drifting" [3] made her sway as it moved her. The song had a lot of high notes, gradually hitting a couple of lows, then to an upbeat tone. Some started dancing around them, as the music moved them.

When the song finished, they had a loud standing ovation and fanfare whistles.

Nimitz was beside himself, his code breaker was full of other talents. He looked at Saana while clapping for their performance,

"Please tell me you can sing too, your daughter has a fantastic voice."

Saana looked up at him and smiled. "Thanks Chess, but no, Nyota was blessed with those gifts."

There was one person missing from the festivities, Shath. He couldn't bear the thought of Saana engaging with the admiral, touching and holding her. He continued to rub his side where his heart beat rapidly. Shath sat quietly in lotus position, meditating to control his thoughts, reciting Surak to regain his equilibrium. He had no choice but to make the attempt or go mad, the woman had complete control of him, his katra has chosen.


As the reception started winding down, delegates and Ambassadors started to leave, giving thanks and congratulations to the couple. T'Pau could be seen on her platform, just bowing her head in acknowledgment. Vora and Arnak stood at their post and maintained safety, there were other guards nearby and more were undercover working with the Federation. It was wonderful that no incident had occurred, and there was no further harassment from the Science Academy's healers. Many Vulcanians supported Spock for his outstanding deeds on behalf of their people.

T'Pau, who rarely spoke during the whole event, observed and took note of people and their nuances. The gathering had proven advantageous, it had surpassed her goals, she was aware that Spock's popularity would out reign Surak's at this pace. This had been the plan from the beginning. In order for Surak's guidance to remain relevant, his House must remain relevant. Her grandson was above expectations as a hybrid that was frowned upon. Her thoughts turned to her lost grandson, Sybok. His whereabouts unknown, his mental capacity unknown. He too had high psi talents, she had hoped to harness them. But something had triggered his logic and thought patterns, in the past, causing uncontrolled emotions and provoking a near banishment. Sybok was somewhere in the borderlands of Romulan space, near their ancient brothers. "What has become of you, my grandson?" T'Pau signaled the litter bearers to approach, they picked her up and carried her out of the closing reception to her suite. T'Lara walking beside her, carrying T'Pau's staff.

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N:

[1] Ancient Stones by Jeremy Soule

[1] Battle for Spock part 2 chapter 24-Spock's Wedding

[2] Star Trek TOS: Conscious of the King

[3] Drifting- by Chick Corea; couldn't find the lyrics to this song. Check it out on youtube

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.