Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

Ever since she could remember, she always loved being in the woods. Where they lived all around were vast lands, rich green and sparkling waters. It was like a real life fairytale. Every day she’d wander out barefoot into a new unknown adventure only to return with never before had items. Sometimes, she’d get a cluster of pretty mushrooms or flower petals. Others leaves or nuts. Her mother would always be close by, watching out for her small form to venture back home, ready to receive whatever offering she had to give with a pretty smile. 

    “My my, little fern, what have you this time hm?” Sometimes Mommy spoke weird like she was from a children’s book but she kinda liked it. She’d proudly show her and she’d giggle like she too was a little girl. 

    “You’re quite the finder aren’t you?” 

    “Yep!” 

 

***

 

    As she’d gotten older however, they’d moved from that beautiful place. It always held a special place in her heart and memory though and she always dreamt of it. 

    “Isolde, why’re you so weird?” 

    “What’s she doing and why?”

    “Out in the school yard picking up rocks and dirt.” When they made it into the big city, things changed for her and every since starting public school in sixth grade, she kept to herself as much as possible.

    “Every year she dress up like a fairy. And she really be believing she is one.”

    “She’s nuts. That’s why no one likes her.”

    “Kinda a shame though. She’s pretty.”

    “Lihua, what made you decide to study here in China?” Blinking she lifted her be-speckled gaze upward to see a curious male glance peering down at her. 

    “I thought it would be a good experience.”

    “I think it’s great that you’re here! It makes me happy that you want to learn more about Chinese culture.” Giving him a noncommittal smile, she began to gather her belongings. 

    “Don’t be too shy okay? Please socialize more with us!” He called at her retreating form. Taking a deep breath, she went to her car and put her backpack into the back seat.  She couldn’t hold it against them… rather… she couldn’t let it continue to haunt her. Yes, she had been bullied and harassed much as a child. But she liked to think that it made her…stronger? Her strength was in being to herself. That’s the whole reason she decided to go through with this. She’d always been the wall flower who preferred not to cause trouble or take risks but what did that get her? A boat load of fear and years shaved off of her life. Starting the ignition, she clenched her jaw and inhaled deeply once more. This time was hers now and if she never fit in that would be okay. Because at the end of the day, it wasn’t about any one else. It was about her and her happiness. 

 

    *** 

 

    “So why are you studying here in China?” At first she hadn’t taken notice but a lone finger softly jabbed her in between her shoulder blades, making her gasp. Turning, she looked up into a fresh pretty face. 

    “E-Excuse me?” 

    “What are you studying?” The woman replied in English, making her gawk. 

    “Um….b-botany?” At her answer, the girl smiled and laughed some. She was fair and slim, hair non traditionally died blonde. 

    “Are you always this skittish around other people?”

    “I-if I don’t know them yeah…” She eyed her as she walked around the other end of the table and began to take out her books. 

    “I’m surprised you haven’t asked about my speaking English yet.” Throat gone dry, she swallowed sand as the beautifully twinkling monolid eyes lifted to hers. 

    “W-why are..you?” The girl grinned. 

    “I wanna go to the States.” 

    “Oh…”

    “I’m Xu Chungha. Nice to meet you.”

    “…Nice to meet you too. I’m Isolde.” 

 

 

*** 

 

    “25-year-old American woman found dead in rural ditch. More details in three minutes. Stay tuned.” 

    “Sire, did it not go well?” Unemotional eyes lifted from his paperwork at the man standing nearest the door.

`    “No. It didn’t.” Is all he offered and it was considered end of discussion as the man bowed his head and saw his way out. Empty yet serious eyes panned back towards the television as the report continued. A picture of the girl appeared on the screen and he felt his heart twist. 

    “Paisley McPhee, 25-year-old American woman from the United States was found dead early this morning by tourists enjoying activities in Shidu National Park. Reports say that foul play is not suspected and that it is likely that she drowned.” Fair skin, fiery red hair and soft blue eyes. The girl was a beautiful one, surely to have been a highly desired woman in his time of long ago. He swallowed thickly as the report went on, 

    “The American Embassy is attempting now to reach her family back in the United States. What a sad story. When out and about, do take care and be mindful. Next, we talk weather.” Only a select few knew of what happened. And it most certainly was not a drowning. Lifting to stand from his desk, he quietly ran fingers through his hair, jaw tight and lips pinched. He was too late…even with his speed. By the time he’d gotten to her, her face had been taken and her soul had been removed. Her body had been carelessly strewn aside, now an empty shell of what once was living. An unfortunately painful end. 

    “Sire. They await you at the council.”

    “Very well.” 

 

*** 

 

    “Isolde?”

    “Hm?”

    “That’s a pretty name. What does it mean?”

    “To be beautiful…fair.”

    “Ooh. Cool.”

    “And Chunghua? What does that mean?” 

    “Spring flower.”

    “Ooh.”

    “Pretty huh?”

    “Yeah.” 

    “Well, I’m just going to come out and say it. I like you. I think you’re cool. I want us to be friends.” Eyes took in the very outspoken girl and she felt herself smile some. Chunghua was refreshing. Perhaps it would be good for them to be friends…help her get out of her comfort zone a bit. 

    “Sure. I’d like that.”

    “Great! I say we go down to this really cool bakery/coffee shop. We’ve been looking at this homework so long it’s started to melt my eyeballs together.” Laughing softly, she conceded and began to pack up her belongings. 

    “I think you’ll like this place. It’s very cozy and they use all natural ingredients in their pastries and things. No chemicals or additives.”

    “Yes I like that very much.” 

    “And their herbal teas are to die for. They have this particular one that I drink every fall season before it starts getting cold and I kid you not in the past five years I’ve never gotten sick.” Lifting up her gaze to the taller woman who talked quite animatedly, she sighed to herself some. Her heart somehow felt…warm. She felt excited, something that she hadn’t felt in a long time. Perhaps this was the best thing for her after all.   

 

***

 

            “Mama…”

    “Yes darling?”

    “…I um…I wanna go to China.” A tall slim woman stopped what she was doing which was cooking and turned to look at her. Disbelief in her beautifully deep set eyes…eyes she inherited. 

    “You serious?” Her nails sunk into the paint on the edge of the counter, fingers tightening on the surface. 

    “Yes ma’am. I wanna study abroad there.” Her mother blinked at her, disbelief not quite gone from her face yet. She stood in the kitchen, hands nervously clasped behind her. Gaze down.  Small fingers clothed in the same rich dark brown skin as her lifted her chin. 

    “My little fern….you are grown now. You can do whatever your heart desires. Even if it means being away from me. From your family.” Her cheeks grew warm. 

    “You really wouldn’t mind?” Smiling prettily, her mother nuzzled her nose. 

    “It’s time to spread your wings and fly on your own now little fern. I support you wholeheartedly.” 

    “Thanks Mama.” 

    “You’re welcome baby.” 







Chapter End Notes:

A/N: Okay that is all for now haha. I think Isolde is a brave little fighter... she just don't know it yet. She's trying her best despite her past traumas. What do y'all think of her? hehe. I adore her. I thank you guys for reading and hope to update again before the end of the year! No promises though haha. See you soon! 

D&L~







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.