Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

thirteen. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

Christmas came soon after and too busy to think about it, she focused on her duties. Even Lord Nolan had been too preoccupied, now sparing her no more than a dismissive glance when he’d happen by her. Good. That was how she wanted it. When Christmas passed and New Years too, it was then that she allowed herself to think about it. Falling on her bed, she kicked off her shoes with a slight groan. God, her feet hurt like hell. 

    The happenings that last went on in her room no less played out before her mind’s eye and she bit her lip, turning to press her face into her pillow. She didn’t know what he had done to her but…it was most uncomfortable. It was uncomfortable how comfortable it felt. How right…how good. He’d never done anything to her before but she swore then that day…when he’d taken her blood….it was like…She was too embarrassed to say it. 

    Cheeks flushed, she sighed against the pillow. It was almost like..he had been…been inside of her. She was talking mad she knew. But…it didn’t make sense… didn’t make sense how it could feel…so…so bloody good. She never thought about it. Never wanted to do it…that. Not since…well…her experiences with that were not pleasant and she had surmised that she would never let a man inside again. Ever. Growling into the pillow, she pulled herself up. You’re mad. Simply madder than a hatter you are. 

    Swallowing she slowly stood. Was it wrong? Pulling down her chemise, she exposed her breasts. Was it wrong that she wanted…God help her the thoughts were most improper but she couldn’t…couldn’t stop them from entering her mind. She wanted his touch here. She wanted him to lick her nipples, kiss and suck them just as he had her wrist. She wanted his touch between her legs too God help her. 

    Flushing with embarrassment, she pulled up her chemise and fell back into bed. He was a bloody Marquess for God’s sake! How foolish she was to be desiring a man of his status. But she couldn’t… couldn’t help it. She loved him… loved him more than even words could allow. Status or not, back when he was just Kieran in the cage…there was a gentleness and a passion that burned inside of his gaze. They understood one another… They got one another in ways she feared no other would. Even though he now had the influence, the wealth and the connections, he was the same. Sighing, into her pillow, she blew out the candle. It would do no good to lie awake with the thought of it. 

*** 

 

    “Your Grace,”

    “I’m aware.”

    “How are we going to handle this. The other Families are most displeased.” 

    “I want an audience with Lord Dracyian.”

    “Right away Sire.” Damn it to hell. Swallowing, he got up from the desk and grabbed his topper on the way out. There had to be another way to solve this freud. He would not stand around and allow man made or civil war to destroy his people. 

    “Prepare my horse.”    

    “Yes Sire.” 

 

*** 

 

    “Have you heard?”

    “What now?”

    “Anne is leaving us.” That caused her to almost break her neck turning to face the girl. 

    “What do you mean Anne is leaving?” 

    “She says she’s made enough money to open up a business for herself.” 

    “But-”

    “I don’t make the rules…I’m just the messenger.” She turned back to the dough and began to knead once more. Her heart filled with a deep sadness. Anne…If Anne left then what would become of her? She was all she had left in this hellhole. Sighing, she swallowed pins and needles and eyed the clock, hoping it would hurry. 

 

*** 

 

    He dismounted from the horse and was met to his surprise with an enslaved Negro man who bowed. 

    “Lord Severa…this way please.” Following him, his eyes narrowed. He didn’t like this one bit. Having been led into the great room, he opted to stand rather than sit, waiting until the audience was honored. In good faith it was not too much longer, Lord Dracyian strolling into the room with his wife Lady Dracyian. Bowing, to his and her curtesy, they all sat. 

    “It’s good to see you Lord Severa.”

    “Likewise.” 

    “It amazes me that you appear just like your late father. The resemblance is eerie.” Smiling, he gave a thankful nod. 

    “Thank you Lady Dracyian.”

    “What brings you to our humble home?” Lord Dracyian inquired, cutting right to the chase. 

    “It was brought to my attention that you have some reservations about withdrawing from the Crown.” 

    “Yes I do.”

    “May I ask why?”

    “For one, we are now located here. Why would we not submit to the authority of the ruling monarchs?” Nodding, he sat back. 

    “I understand your point.”

    “We are not back in Yischaphere. We are not isolated anymore. Here we have had to learn to deal with the humans. How to coexist with them.” 

    “It was never our desire to become like them.” He shot back, tone still under friendly pretense. Lady Dracyian cleared her throat and stood. 

    “I’ll leave you two to talk alone. Lord Severa, it was a pleasure.”

    “Same to you as well my Lady. Fare well yes?”

    “Yes your Grace.” Curtseying, neither spoke until the swish of her gown had ceased. 

    “Your ideas are archaic. Perhaps influenced by your late father. I can understand you holding on to them dearly as they remind you of him.” 

    “This has nothing to do with my father. He is dead. Only a fool holds onto dead things.” The Lord Dracyian sneered, sitting back against the settee. 

    “So then you admit that you yourself then are archaic?”

    “I would prefer progressive, liberal, radical even. Never archaic.” 

    “You realize that those beliefs of yours are what is killing our people.” 

    “And you understand that by your desire to assimilate into the human way of life will bring nothing but destruction to you.” 

    “The saying when in Rome do as the Romans do does not ring a bell?” 

    “Only a fool tests the depth of a river with no feet.”

    “What?”

    “It’s an African proverb. I’m sure you’ve never heard of it.” Chuckling, Lord Dracyian crossed his arms. 

    “So you are now friends with the Negro as well? My, you are very progressive indeed.”

    “They have never wronged me. Why should I cast them to the dogs?”

    “If you cannot see that they are the most inferior species on the planet then I fear for your mental state.” 

    “This is the danger that comes with mingling with corrupt humans. Corrupt humans poison the mind and it infects the spirit and the soul. How you’ve changed Lord Dracyian.”

    “The same can be said for you. I remember a boy who hated humans. A boy who killed every which one he saw without thought or remorse. Yet now he having grown into a man-child talks of being friends with them. What’s worse, being friends with Negroes. Ha!” 

    “You will not withdraw your allegiance to the Crown then I take it.”

    “The young human bitch who calls herself Queen has given me everything I have wanted. Why would I withdraw just to go back to the same thing? To be amongst our own and only our own? It is not the way anymore young one.” Licking his fangs, he exhaled. He could not count on Dracyian to be an ally. He was greedy. Money hungry. Self seeking. None of these things could be in his empire. With his attempt at peace failed, it saddened him more than angered him. How far his people had fallen while he had been locked away. 

    “Please give my regards to your wife.” He ended the conversation by standing. 

    “Very well then.” He came out the same way he came in, mounted his horse and began the journey back. 

 

*** 

 

Eighteen Hundred and Twenty 

 

Early Spring 

 

 

    Folding hands together, she swallowed nervously as the woman in front of her counted out her coin and paper. Next to her stood Anne, her mouth firm as she too watched the woman. 

    “Well, looks like this is the right amount.”

    “She did it all by ‘erself. I’m just ‘ere to make sure you didn’t cheat ‘er.” Anne said, reaching forward and picking up the package. Sneering, the woman pursed her lips and put the bill and coin away. 

    “You have what you came for. Now get out of my establishment.” Taking her by the arm, she let Anne pull her outside. Once there, the woman squeaked and hugged her nice and tight. 

    “I’m proud of you!” Blushing, she giggled. 

    “All thanks to you. You didn’t have to give me anything before you left.”

    “Now what kinda friend doesn’t give ‘er lassies some’thin? That’s jus’ cruel.” Smiling, she hugged the package to her chest. 

    “Your first purchase. All on your own. This calls for an ale.” Laughing, she climbed up into the buggy and they were off with a quick slap of the reins. It felt like something out of a dream. 

    “So… it’s true then? The Marquess of Severa is going ahead in purchasing your freedom?” Fingering the paper of the package, she felt her cheeks grow warm again…

    “I suppose so.” Biting her lip in a smile, she kept quiet as they rode through the cobblestone streets. 

    “I imagine Lord Nolan wasn’t ‘appy about it at all yeah?”

    “He was beside himself with fury.” The older woman laughed quite unladylike. 

    “Pompous wank. I’m sure ‘e was.”

    “At first…he…he refused. Flat out. He claimed that no one not even the Marquess of Severa could force him to give up his property.”

    “Yeah and then?”

    “He pulled out letters.”

    “What kind of letters?”

    “Letters that Lady Nolan had sent him. Very improper letters.” Anne glanced at her in disbelief. 

    “NO! You’re yankin’ me!” Giggling again, she shook her head. 

    “She was very explicit about her desires to have him. Again.”

    “AGAIN?”

    “Seems they had something going on… back before he became Marquess. Back when he was still locked up in the basement cellar.” 

    “Wot! Bloody hell the slag is bold.”

    “Of course Lord Nolan had recognized him eventually at the party. Couldn’t though have it be known though that he’d once placed such a powerful man in chains and held him in a cage.”

    “Dear God…they would be penniless before daybreak.”

    “And that’s exactly what he told him. He…he told him that should he not accept the terms… should he not surrender me up…he would expose everything.” 

    “My God what a bold bastard. I love it.” Smiling, she again started to finger the paper housing her first pride and joy. 

    “So, is that your liberty dress aye Zadie?” 

    “Yes…it is I suppose isn’t it?” 

 

*** 

 

    “Sire, it is finished.” Looking up, he found Aonghas standing by the door to his office. With a smile, he began to stand. 

    “Those who wish to remain under the Crown are free to do so. But at the behest of rules you set in place.”

    “And have they agreed to them in full?”

    “We had some trouble with a few…”

    “Dracyian?” 

    “One yes.” Reaching down to straighten and smooth his cravat, he smirked. 

    “Did you persuade him?”

    “I convinced him yes.” The two shared a laugh. 

    “Those who wish to be underneath your government will proceed as promised.” Closing his eyes, he gripped the desk behind him. 

    “No war? No bloodshed? No death?” 

    “Should things remain in place as you have set them Sire… there shall be nothing but harmony between the two races.” Letting out a heavy sigh, he gave another nod. While it wasn’t the era where they could be open about who they were completely… it would do for now as such. He had heard all of their complaints and concerns… even the Ivenir and their centuries long rivalry. It was to be mandated that proper education be given about each race and how they could take steps to ensure the happiness of each House. And in terms of their feeds, they would supply locally from physicians in the area as well as any lingering stray animals or farms. If and when a human died, it would be fair game for them to feed as well. Biting his lip, he opened his eyes to look upon his kinsmen. He hoped to God that it worked. For now there seemed to be a stalemate and a new treaty in place. He hoped to God that it lasted for centuries to come. 

    “Your father would be proud of you.” Smiling, he lifted a hand to pat Aonghas’ shoulder. 

    “Thank you my friend.”

    “Shouldn’t you be off to collect your ward?” Grinning, he left the room unanswered and climbed into an awaiting carriage. 

 

*** 

 

 

    She couldn’t stay still… couldn’t sit still. Her heart hammered inside of her chest and she felt like she was going to be sick. Oh God…..help me….please don’t let this be a dream… But all the eyes on her certainly weren’t. Maids and manservants stood by the steps as she slowly descended and she felt her throat grow dry. Some of them looked at her with jealousy. Others with confusion. Others with excitement…happiness. Some of these people she’d worked with for the last years just shy of 10. This entire house was all she’d known for the last nearly ten years of her life. Gripping the banister to the staircase she once dusted and polished, she continued down until she reached the bottom. Taking a deep breath, she took in the dreadful wallpaper, the motifs, even the greek statues that had fascinated her upon arriving here. Turning, she gave a smile to those who wished her well. It was time… time to walk into her new life. 

 

*** 

 

    He stood by the door, hands formally crossed behind his back. Lord and Lady Nolan stood there by the door as well. He’d attempted to threaten him but a moment ago, threatened to steal Zadie away and put a bullet or sword in him. All he could do at the moment was laugh which pissed them both off royally. Grinning, he looked the prick square in the eye and told him that he should have killed him back when he was in the cage. 

    It was his missed opportunity and one that he would never get again. Eyes drifted over to the couple. Lord Nolan’s face was stiff and pale, cheeks growing red with anger. He stood straight as a board and appeared to be sweating slightly at the neck. And good Lady Nolan. Dirty bitch. She stood next to her husband but all for appearances. As far as he knew, this might be the last time she would ever see anything outside of a four walled padded room. At least, that’s what she had been threatened with for her licentiousness and adultery. 

    Turning eyes straight ahead of them, he had to keep from grinning. He’d deal with them both privately. Before she ever left this house. Before he even thought about remarrying. It was Lady Nolan’s gasp that caught his attention and soon he understood why. As she turned the corner, she appeared nervous and shaky, hands clutched tightly together. But already she had stolen his breath. 

    The richness of her skin popped against the delicate white and yellow dress. Yellow trim around the tops of the puffed sleeves and bust line. A band of white ribbon emphasized her small waist. The skirts of the dress were flowy and gorgeous, a top white pleat of muslin with yellow trim and then a second pleat with a more defined solid yellow design. About her arms, she carried a scarf of the same shade of yellow with an exotic looking pattern at the ends. Her hair had been pulled back from her face and her ears and neck had been left bare. Simply beautiful she was. Exquisite. Even Lord Nolan could not hide his dis-or-rather-full pleasure at seeing her, mouth slightly ajar. It made him want to pluck out his eyeballs so he could never look at her again. 

    Smiling at her, he stepped forward and performed a formal bow. She curtesied, head bowed low. Extending his hand, he waited until she took it before placing it on his arm. Turning, he eyed the two of them, those that had made her life hell for just a year shy of ten. They looked like at any moment, they would pop like a balloon and it most humored him. 

    “Her papers.” He demanded, enjoying the twitch of the bastard’s eyebrow. 

    “Charlotte. The papers.” He ordered her. She stiffly handed them to him who in turn handed them to him. Opening the envelope, he pulled them out and took his time in reading through everything. He knew Zadie would not understand the legal lexicon but he did. He wanted to make sure that before they stepped foot out of this God forsaken house that everything was in order as he wanted it. Reaching the end, he put the papers back into the envelope with a firm nod. 

    “Very good then.” Pleased to know that they had included a receipt of purchase, he cleared his throat and looked at her. 

    “Have you need to retrieve anything before we depart?” 

    “No My Lord.” She answered softly, a becoming blush blossoming in her cheeks. 

    “As of this moment, you, Zadie, are hereby freed from the institution of chattel slavery and or enslaved servitude. You are now by law officially named Zadie of Severa, charge to The Marquess of Severa from this day forth.” He heard her heart beat rattle against her chest and gave her hand a gentle squeeze. 

    “Let’s be off then.” Going to open the door, he took her hand and placed it back onto his arm. Quietly under the watch of the entire house, he helped her into his carriage and soon, they were off, a grand display of horses and dust. 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: *dreamy sigh* listen. If y'all thought at some point in my writing career that I was NOT going to make a fairytale princess-esque prince charming situation happen y'all THOUGHT WRONG LOL. Ever since I was a little girl, I've always loved the story of a Prince Charming, of princesses and pretty dainty things. I've always been a SUPER girly girl okay? I really felt like that little five year old girl again penning this chapter hehehe. Everything about it to me is perfect. I love the way our vampire prince handled her enslavers, read them they rights (or lack thereof), clowned them in they own house and took the princess away right in front of their faces. The whole thing had me laughing to be honest when I went back to read it LOL. 

I have a picture of Zadie's first dress that she's ever purchased *insert tears* So proud of my baby. Her freedom dress indeed and how lovely it is hehe. 

EEEEEEK! We are approaching the end guys! I told y'all this was gon be short lol. Okay, y'all ready? Let's go to happy times nowwwww wheeee.

D&L~

 

Zadie's dress: 

 

Kieran's attire: 

 

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.