Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

nine. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Eighteen Hundred and Nineteen 

Spring 

 

 

    “Have you heard? Lord Nolan has a new plaything.”

    “Oh?”

    “Yes! I heard she’s the daughter of an Earl.”

    “Quite pretentious isn’t he?”

    “And Charlotte? Poor girl, how does she fare?”

    “Well, she mostly stays at home. You know she has their son Edward.”

    “Ah, yes! How could I forget! Isn’t he two years of age now?”

    “Yes, he’s the sweetest little thing.”

    “I have to write a letter and ask to come see him!”

    “Indeed, he’s like a little cherub!” A group of Ladies laughed, soon hiding behind their fans in more gossip. She watched them chitter chatter like a group of crows, eyes watching them in annoyance. 

    “You would think they would be more polite as not to gossip about me right to my face.” A dark brown hand fanned her as she sat aways from them. The eyes that belonged to them also glanced upon them. 

    “I’ll have to talk to Lord Nolan about this. This could ruin our reputation.” Again, nothing was said. 

    “Zadie, go and fetch Edward.” The fanning stopped. 

    “Yes madam.” Placing the fan on the table, she excused herself from the stuffy room. Leaning back against the wall, she took a deep breath. Straightening up, she swallowed thickly and began to walk down the hall. 

    “Zadie! Where are you today?”

    “Lady maid.” She answered quietly with a sigh.

    “At least you’re not down in the kitchen scrubbing dishes.” Her hands at the mere thought began to hurt. She’d found herself victim to that last year as a punishment. 

    “Indeed. I have to get going now. See you later on.”

    “Sure thing!” She began the long descent down the set of stairs, taking them one by one. The only part she enjoyed doing nowadays was fetching Edward. He was the only thing worth the day it seemed. Rosy cheeked and affectionate, he just wanted to be held and play. With no concept of the world in which he lived yet, he didn’t seem to mind her color. No, he rather enjoyed her company just as much and would always smile a little snaggle tooth grin when she’d enter the nursery. Smiling to herself, she continued on her way.  

    It had been four years since the incident. And to her delight, there had never been more than one other time. The second time was just as bad as the first time but the second time she fought him back harder. She threw a punch for every punch given. She put up so much of a fuss that he’d gave up and threw her out. Because of her disobedience, she’d been put in the kitchen for three months. It frustrated him that he never could just kill her. Why she didn’t know and didn’t care.

     Thankfully for her, they’d acquired some more slaves from the short sell of another noble family soon after that. They’d gained a mostly Negro staff now and it seemed to be growing in number. With new staff meant new conquests and he’d found a new unlucky victim. Again, it was good for her… bad for the new hire. She couldn’t help but pity the girl. She knew exactly what she went through and hoped like hell she didn’t get pregnant because of it. God had most definitely been smiling down on her because she had never conceived…must not have been the time to breed her. He had of course been very upset about the fact, declaring that he wanted a little half Negroid child so that he could experiment and play with him too. She was glad he’d discarded her as though she was mere paper wrapping. 

    Approaching the nursery, she gave a soft knock. Lettie the nurse maid came and upon seeing her smiled. 

    “He was expectin’ you ya know.” Smiling, she wrinkled up her nose. 

    “Did he pout?”

    “You know he did.”

    “Well, he’ll have to settle for my tardiness.” The older woman stepped aside, pulling the door open for her to cross. 

    “Lady Nolan never visits him.” Both women looked down at the sleeping child. 

    “He cries all the time when she’s gone. The lack of his mother is probably why he is still at the breast.”

    “Still?” 

    “I think it gives him comfort and attention… things he does not get from her.” Sadly, she leaned down and ran fingers through his ruddy brown hair. 

    “Poor child.” 

    “Let’s enjoy him now before the world gets to him yeah?”

    “Right.” They agreed and the older woman went to sit back down in the chair nearby as she started to stir him. 

    “Eddie…wake up darling.” He fussed some, still half sleep. 

    “Come on Eddie boy. Wake up now.” With a sleepy sigh, he slowly opened his eyes. Upon seeing her, he yawned and sat up. 

    “There we are now. Did you sleep well?” 

    “Mmhm.” He replied, lifting tiny fingers to rub his eyes. 

    “Good.”

    “I missed you. Where were you?” His small voice asked with another yawn. 

    “I was busy for a bit sorry.” Coming to her, he pressed his face against her chest. 

    “Can we play later?” He asked starting to go back to sleep. 

    “Of course we can. But first your mother wants to see you.” He opened blue-grey eyes and they stared up at her. Eyes so much like his father. 

    “Wot does she want?”

    “I don’t know but we have to go see yeah?”

    “I guess.” 

    “Good then. Come on up up up.” Groaning, the little boy pouted as she took his hand and pulled him to the door. 

    “Think of all the cakes and sweets you’ll get for being a good boy. Doesn’t that sound yummy?”

    “Mmhm.” Laughing at his lack of enthusiasm, she bit her lip in a smile. 

    “Every little boy should love his sweets hm? They’re good for digestion. It’ll help your tummy too.” 

    “I suppose.” 

    “Come now, don’t be such a grump.” She knelt and picked him up. Sighing against her, he wrapped little arms around her and stayed silent as they headed back to the party. 

 

 

*** 

 

    “Sire.”

    “Yes. I’m aware.”

    “What should we do?”

    “For now, keep a close watch. If they were smart, they wouldn’t do anything at all.” A head bowed and left him. Sighing, he stepped out into the midday. Lords and Ladies strolled through the cobblestone streets, carriages went on their way and the sun actually was not too terribly bright today. Placing his topper on his head, he began his day, stopping first by the local fruit stand. Smiling at the ladies, he picked up an apple and pressed it to his nose. Fragrant. Pleasing. 

    “Five please.” The young ladies blushed as they put the apples into a basket. He couldn’t resist a charming smile as he pressed a crown into the hand of one. Once they looked and seen how much money he’d given, they squealed girlishly. 

    “Come again sir! You’re always welcome!” One of them shouted, making him chuckle. Lifting one such apple to his lips, he bit into it. It had been four years since that time. Since he’d been imprisoned in a cage and kept in the basement cellar of the Nolan Manor. In that time, he’d tried to help whoever he could. Buy the starving children meat pies and confection. He’d even opened up his house to other causes of charity. He knew what it was like to feel your stomach tear itself apart. The pain made you wish for death. Taking another bite, he sighed, glancing down at the fruit. With the experience came humility. He did not take anything that resulted after for granted. 

    He’d become reinstated with his House and with the Council, things he knew his late father would have been pleased to see. He was Sire of Nations…and as such, presumed rule over all 17 families in Britain and Wales. It was a heavy weight to uphold but so far, he rather thought he was getting along well. With the money, wealth and prestige came heavy responsibility. After all he’d gone through, it wasn’t something he felt he couldn’t handle. 

    “Lord Severa!” Pausing, he turned to find a man coming towards him. Reyna. 

    “How are you?” He asked kindly with a friendly smile. The younger bowed his head. 

    “I fare fine my Lord. Thank you.” 

    “What can I do for you?”

    “Well…I know you’ve been asking my group to keep watch over happenings with the Nolan family.” Taking another bite of his apple, he lifted his eyebrows as to tell him to continue. 

    “They are having a grand party. 3rd of September.” 

    “I see. Well done.” The boy blushed at the praise. 

    “Should I find out anything else, we will notify you sire.”

    “Good then. Thank you.” Bowing his head, he watched the young man carry on, letting his tongue lick the juice that had collected at the corner of his mouth. 3rd of September. That was a month away from now. He’d have plenty of time to send his regards to the Manor. Very good indeed. Smirking against his apple, he carried on with his agenda for the day. 

 

*** 

 

 

 

    The heat was intense, forcing waves of dizziness to come over her. Lifting eyes upward, she took a moment to steady herself. This part of the day was always the worst. Having to clean and scrub out the chamberpots in this simmering day was nauseating. Holding her breath, she dumped out a pot full of urine, the heavy smell of ammonia turning her stomach. 

    “Ugh…God…” Turning, she found Anne approaching with her nose covered. 

    “It’s bloody cruel what they have you doin’. For God’s sake…” Putting the pot down, she coughed, stepping away from the filthy mess. 

    “Where they have you today Anne?” She asked, trying to take in air. 

    “Lower.”

    “Ah,”

    “Thought we could steal some time for a snack.” Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out some small cakes. Her eyes grew wide. 

    “You…Anne!”

    “You’re the only one I’ve ever stolen for. Don’t say a word of it.” Grinning, she let her pull her further into cool shade. 

    “What are these?” 

    “They call ‘em Queen cakes. Not sure why though.” 

    “They look delicious.”

    “Well go on. Help yourself.” Taking one, she lifted it to her nose, smelling the sugar. Peeling back the thin paper, she took a small bite. A pleasantly sweet nutty taste filled her mouth and she glanced up at Anne, delight in her features. 

    “Oh my God…”

    “Good ain’t it?” She couldn’t answer, instead taking two large mouthfuls of the sweet. She’d never tasted anything quite like it. Quietly, she finished it up and took the provided one wrapped in tissue. 

    “Put it in your apron for later.”

    “Yes thank you.” Taking her nose between her fingers, Anne gently smiled. 

    “No thanks needed lass. Hurry up and come in will you? It’s bloody hot out here. Hotter than hell.” Smiling as her friend left her, she licked any evidence of crumbs from her mouth and cleared her throat. Soon though, fall was to approach and with it would bring much needed cooler temperatures. Unpinning her shawl from around her neck she instead tied it around her face and headed back to the putrid chamberpots. 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: We've experienced a time jump. Four years since the last chapter. Perhaps this is moving a bit too fast. I don't intend for it to. A lot has happened. More of the identured servants have left the Manor. More enslaved Negro men women and children have come into service. Lord and Lady Nolan have welcomed a son. Our Kieran has returned as Lord Severa... that's hot *Paris Hilton voice* lol. Can I just say how much I adore Anne? Like... this girl a real ride or die. She out here stealing left over food for our girl and stuff. *le sniff* She a real one lol. Okay I may have oneeeee more update up my sleeve hehehe. 

D&L~







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.