Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta reader: Jsilver2000    




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Season 3 and End of the Five Year Mission.

Platonius,"[1] Kirk thought, the infamous place which he would never forget. Where ego, pride, self-esteem, self-control, and courage were all lost in a blink of an eye. "Nothing compared to what it did to Spock and those two women. When I saw Uhura and Chapel beam down, the fear on their faces-they couldn't even speak! The Platonians took their dignity away from them!"They all needed psychological treatment; the scars would remain FOREVER! "There are times I wish I could have destroyed them, just to get them out of my mind-MY LIFE!"Kirk had been restless since their encounter with the mind-controlling people. "Parmen-that arse! What he did to Spock and Alexander, who suffered for years under his tyranny!"He couldn't forget the Platonians; they had robbed him of the joy of exploration, of his command; now Kirk needed rest from himself. But he couldn't-wouldn't allow himself to relax; his crew needed him, and Prise needed him.

Enterprise saw the worried look on Kirk's face, the frustration of not being in control had bothered him. It bothered her too. Prise was at the mercy of the Platonians; she saw the force that Platonius exerted over the crew and herself. She couldn't act under their telepathic power or strike at them; she couldn't even raise her shields. She was powerless, like Kirk, and couldn't save the crew from the Platonians.

But time passed. Kirk slowly came back to himself, to her. When Kirk approached her, he looked different-he looked happy-as if he were in love. "Who is it this time?"Prise thought to herself. Prise had given up counting the number of times Kirk had fallen for a woman. But this time it was different.

Prise and Kirk were walking along the perimeter of space and time, sharing their accounts of events when Kirk blurted out, "I'm attracted to someone on the ship." Prise stopped in her tracks; Kirk had in the past been attracted to several female crew members.

"There's something about her; I never paid her any attention. But I know most of the men on the ship have fallen for her hypnotic charm and disposition. I know Scotty desired her for a while, but she never entertained him. I know Chekov would follow her around like a puppy dog." Kirk was chuckling at the Tribble incident.

"Who are you referring to, Kirk?"

"I only kissed her once, but it was a forced kiss. After I dealt with the Platonians, I wondered if we could have a meaningful relationship."

"KIRK!":Prise said with gritted teeth.

"Uhura-Lieutenant Nyota Uhura. I didn't know she was there all the time. I just saw her as one of the crew, but recently? I want to see more of her and get to truly know the person she is. I find her quite beautiful," Kirk said dreamily.

Prise had a shocked look on her face, which slowly turned to anger and resentment. She folded her arms and stood firm.

"Kirk, she is off-limits to you!"

Kirk looked at Prise in disbelief and asked,

"Why? Because of all the other women before her? I think I can have a meaningful relationship with her; I might even marry her!"

"Not happening, Kirk; she is not for you."

"What makes you say that? I'm not good enough? Or you think it would affect my commitment to you? We could work together on the ship. She can work with us, be a part of us-so I won't be alone all the time."

Prise looked at Kirk in puzzlement: "Fame and glory not all it's cracked up to be, Kirk?"

"It could work if I were given a chance. The woman is intelligent and sexy as hell. I just couldn't look at her that way before; I was new as a captain. Uhura is a fine woman; any man would be excited to have her working by their side. Why are you so against it?"

Prise continued walking. She knew the answer, but Kirk wouldn't like it.

"Enterprise, I'm asking why?"

Prise turned sharply toward Kirk, her dress/robe swirling with the motion. Her face was stern: "Do you really want to know, Kirk? If I tell you, you might not like my answer."

"You don't want to share me with another woman-that's it, right?" Kirk asked, searching Prise's face for confirmation.

Prise shook her head slowly at his response. "Just remember you came to me, Kirk. I've been serving captains for centuries-CENTURIES! Men of your kind generally all come to the same end. I fear for you, Kirk. You sold your soul for your captainship-that's why only you can see me."

"I fear that he will die alone like so many others before him,"Prise thought. "It's the price they pay."

"It's only normal that men like you seek companionship."

"You're avoiding the question; what gives, Prise?"

"Okay, Kirk, you win-you often state that you don't believe in a no-win scenario. Why do you think Uhura never dated anyone on the ship? Have you ever wondered? You stated that she is a desirable woman."

Kirk kept pace with Enterprise and started to reflect on her statement. He stopped: "She likes someone! Who? I've never seen anyone around her besides the bridge crew; she treats everyone the same."

"Drop it, Kirk! I don't want you to interfere with them; I like them together. So does Cygnet; she thinks they are cute together," Prise said, giving the biggest hint ever and the biggest smile.

Kirk mulled over that statement, "Even Cygnet, the computer program, sees them as a match."

Kirk turned to Prise with a shocked look on his face: "The computer!? You mean SPOCK? She's attracted to Spock, my first officer? How did that happen?"

"It's been years in the making, Kirk. It's Spock's nature to be shy and aloof. They are a match. Cygnet would report to me their interactions through Nyota's journals. is the only female besides Number One[2] that I find acceptable as a worthy of my attention. Uhura understands my purpose, and Spock has desired her for some time. You see, Kirk, you have me and won't share me with anybody, including Spock or Scotty. You have often mentioned that Spock always wanted me, but what you failed to understand is that Spock was always alone. You have challenged Spock about wanting to take your command; what you don't understand, Kirk, is that Spock could have had me any time before you took your captainship. He turned it down-he turned ME down, Kirk! He was the most experienced officer and a logical choice. So no, Kirk; I will let not you interfere with them. They deserve their happiness."

At first, Kirk felt hurt; he even sulked, thinking about it: Spock and Uhura. He couldn't help his attraction to Nyota; he could play his hand and make her fall for him. "I always get what I want when I'm determined,"Kirk thought. He tried to imagine Spock and Uhura together, but jealousy started to sneak in.

"She could love me if I tried!"

"You could work your charm, Kirk. You might even be able to draw her away from him. Then what would you have? Your best friend alone and suffering. Is that what a friend would do? Really?" Prise could see the determination on his face; she knew him well enough to know that he would choose wisely, even it if hurt.

"My voice is final. You think about it, Kirk. I'm getting something to drink." Enterprise gave one last glance and walked off into the distance to leave Kirk alone with his thoughts.

Kirk walked quietly by himself, reflecting on what Enterprise had said. The long, lonely nights came to him; could he love Nyota? He had imagined her working side by side with him. He had dreamt of a life of love, years of-marriage. Could he do it? He saw her deep brown eyes, fluttering in his dreams, her laughter, and her curvy body swaying. Who wouldn't be attracted to that woman? Then there was Spock, his best friend: I had no idea that he was attracted to Nyota!"

Then he would try to see where Spock fit in; he did remember some times when Spock would linger around Uhura's station, standing close to her as she glided her hands across her console. Matter of fact, he was often near her when the Enterprise was tossed around by external forces. He's always the first to help her up. Have I been outplayed by the Vulcan? I will watch those two more closely, now that I know there are feelings between them."Kirk thought.

Weeks later, Kirk tried to approach Nyota, trying to win her heart and her attention. But she kept her demeanor professional at all times. Kirk tried to strike up a conversation about the Platonians, but that upset her, and she drifted further from him. But Spock would just stare at her, and she would return his gaze with a hint of a smile. All Kirk had was the one forced kiss; he longed to taste her again. Kirk found himself competing for Nyota's attention and affections with Spock. Then one day he found them in the rec room playing their Vulcan harps, Kirk observed them lingering in the distance. They played well together, and the crew applauded them. Then he saw it: Nyota gave Spock that secret look, the one he'd been watching for. There was no longer any doubt; she was in love with the Vulcan. Kirk walked away defeated, finally understanding that being a starship captain is a lonely life and he would have to accept it.

When he met Enterprise again, she stood with her hands on her hips, again looking him in the eye with no humor in her expression. "I told you to leave them alone; now I have to get nasty with you."

"You don't have to worry, Prise. I saw it-I saw enough to know when I am beaten," Kirk said somberly.

Prise's demeanor changed to empathy: "Don't worry, Kirk; you'll be chasing another skirt soon."

"Oh-kay. If you are trying to cheer me up, you're doing a bad job."

"Kirk, you have it all! You have what most men dream of. You reached your position as captain in record time-you're the youngest captain in the fleet. Men envy you and clamor to serve with you. Your enemies tremble at your feet. Those barnacle Klingons plot to dethrone you-they sing your name in their drinking debauchery. And the Romulans can't even figure you out; they just think of you as a trophy to bring home. I have brought you the glory that you wished from the beginning-your name, 'James T. Kirk', is a household name. You are recognized everywhere; you, Kirk, are a legend among the stars!" Enterprise stretched out one of her arms as if to encompass the universe.

Kirk did desire all that in the beginning, but now that almost five years had passed, his desires seemed a little different.

"Kirk, you are in line to move up in rank in Starfleet. I have placed you above all men; our names together will symbolize strength and pride." Prise's eyes burned with fire as she reconfirmed Kirk's quest for greatness. Enterprise strolled toward her weapons and lifted them high in victory, celebrating the adventures they had shared.

"I am honored, Kirk, to serve you as well as your predecessors. Do you know how this feels? I remember when I served Captain Aubrey during the 18th century; I was a British frigate then. The man loved the sea, the wind in my sails. Aubrey would often stand on the bow looking toward the horizon. The sea gave him peace. We fought many great battles-we LIVED, Kirk! You should look up the old sailing ships and try to imagine what those captains felt."

"Wow! How does that resolve my situation with Nyota?"

Enterprise smirked at him: "Kirk, some of those men had families; you too will have a woman to go home to someday; I promise you that. Now go bless your friends, unite them, and give them hope."


By the time their five-year mission came to an end, Kirk had developed meaningful relationships with crew members besides McCoy and Spock. The bridge crew had formed a bond, a family. The bridge crew were aware of how much their Captain loved his ship, but they also understood Kirk's willingness to sacrifice his life for theirs-there was a mutual trust and commitment, each knowing that they would lay their lives down for one another. Kirk had found one of his families-his loyal crew. Kirk had mellowed and now trusted them with his ship, his Enterprise-so much that he invited the crew into the world he shared with Prise. They strolled into Enterprise space-she hadn't expected it; it surprised her and overwhelmed her. She stood in front of the people who had served her for the past five years.

"Kirk, explain this!" Kirk stepped forward.

"Enterprise, I couldn't just stand by and keep all this glory to myself. My crew has more commitment and dedication than any other captain has ever benefited from. Because of them, we have become the best starship in the fleet. Without them, there is no us. We are now a-family."

The first was Montgomery Scott; he stood at attention and looked shocked: "Aye, just as I imagined her, a bonnie lass indeed."

He walked around Enterprise, inspecting her like a prized trophy. Prise, following his gaze, found it a bit weird. But Scotty had always talked to her as his girlfriend, which Prise had found quite funny. If Kirk wasn't talking to her, she could count on Scotty; he would say endearing things that made Prise feel strong and more real to them.

"It is an honor to meetcha, lass, after all these years of servin' ya."

"The honor is mine, Mr. Scott. You have kept me alive and nursed me back to health so many times. I am grateful for your service. I greatly appreciate how you have enhanced my speed and maneuverability; you have given Kirk the support he needed to succeed."

Enterprise smiled slyly at Scotty: "And I loved the way you beat the sh** out of the Klingons on Deep Space Station K7.[3] I can't stand them! I told Kirk that the Klingons are like barnacles on my stern."

Scotty broke out in hearty laughter at the statement: "Aye, lass! Indeed, they are barnacles on anyone's stern!"

Next was Hikaru Sulu; he would often talk to Enterprise when he was steering her through space. He had developed an intuitive understanding of how Enterprise would respond in any situation, quickly or slowly. Through her response he could tell that Enterprise trusted him with the helm. Sulu's eyes widened as he took in Enterprise's height and stature. He was speechless; he just stared.

Enterprise looked at the young man and smiled: "Welcome to our space, Sulu. Your guidance has been much needed; I admire how quickly you respond to situations."

Sulu replied: "I just never imagined that I would be meeting you; I mean, you are the embodiment of the greatest vessel in the fleet."

"Sulu, you and the others made me great. I have other sisters that serve under great commanders. But you have the know-how to maneuver with the greatest efficiency."

Enterprise turned next to Pavel Chekov, the youngest member of the family. "Thank you, as well, Chekov; your knowledge has grown since your arrival. You have learned much about navigation in your time here, and your experience is duly noted."

Chekov spoke haltingly: "Thank you, miss-I mean Enterprise-Ms. Enterprise. Ya poteryal slova [I am lost for words].

Then Doctor Leonard McCoy approached Prise, looking skeptical: "I believe it's about time I met you, Enterprise. Madame, you have given me a helluva headache on several occasions when it came to Jimboy over there."

"I know. Kirk is a handful and can be stubborn at times. He has a tendency to place me in awkward situations. I thank you for giving him balance in critical situations-and for keeping him alive when we nearly lost him several times."

"He's always worried about you, Enterprise. At one point I thought he needed a psych ward when he thought he would lose you. Now I see why-you're a beautiful woman."

"It's true that you are a Southern charmer, Doctor," Enterprise said with a subtle smile.

Enterprise smiled warmly when S'chn T'gai Spock and Nyota Uhura approached her. She saw the love they projected; they had announced their marriage recently. Prise felt proud that they were going to make a life together. She had watched for decades as Spock suffered and saw how he longed to form a relationship with the communication officer. Now seeing them happy touched her deeply: "I have someone who would like to meet the two of you."

Spock and Nyota looked at each other and then back at Kirk. From behind Enterprise, a woman came forth in a Starfleet uniform, her hair in a tight bun. Her face was expressionless. She stood next to Enterprise with a Padd in her hand.

"This is Cygnet 14, the personification of the ship's computer. She has admired both of you for so long. She has monitored your activities, and she knows almost everything about you. Your programs have enhanced her abilities."

"Yes, I am honored to serve you both," Cygnet said. Your computer science expertise has enhanced my performance in crises. I can produce accurate data for you to present. Commander Spock, I admire your ability to challenge me in tridimensional chess; you have expanded my capacity," Cygnet said, bowing her head. She then stepped back next to Enterprise.

Enterprise looked at Spock and chuckled:[4] "You embarrassed her once when we were sling-shot into our past, where some how altered her programs and she spoke very provocatively to the crew."

Cygnet bowed her head in embarrassment and moved shyly behind Enterprise.

"Commander, I am grateful for your logical approach to the survival of Kirk and me. I have relied on your logical choices. But I am mainly grateful for your loyalty toward Kirk; he has shared over the years your dedication to him and me. I am honored. I have observed for many years your devotion to Uhura, and I am relieved that you two have united in matrimony. You could say, 'It was written in the stars' for the both of you."

Then Enterprise turned to Nyota: "Because of you, I knew the intentions of the Romulans and the Klingons. Without your translations, I would have had trouble understanding and appraising them. You gave me the edge I needed for Kirk and I to make effective decisions."

Cygnet stepped forward: "Ms. Uhura, you have graced us with your presence and your singing, something that I have enjoyed. Your voice carried throughout the ship, which had a calming effect on Enterprise and me. Thank you."

"I had no idea that I had an effect on anything," Nyota said.

"Aww, Ms. Uhura, your knowledge of navigation and computer science kept me from danger; we both honor you as well," Enterprise added.

Spock and Uhura joined their fingers in the ozh'esta after hearing the compliments and expressions of gratitude.

Enterprise was overwhelmed with emotion. She dropped her shield and staff; she and Cygnet each knelt on one knee before the crew. Besides her sister ships, Enterprise now had another family: Kirk and his crew encircled them-the super seven of the USS Enterprise were born.

As the years continued the super seven demonstrated their loyalty to Enterprise and each other. They became legends in Starfleet and the galaxy.

The End-But not the end of the super 7

 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N:
[1] Star Trek TOS: Plato's stepchildren.
[2] Star Trek TOS: The Menagerie Parts 1 & 2.
[3] Star Trek TOS: The Trouble with Tribbles-This one is my number one episode to the point I bought the "Making of The Trouble with Tribbles" book and read the script. I drove my family crazy reciting the lines. LOL!
[4] Star Trek TOS: Tomorrow Is Yesterday-This is one of my top ten favorite episodes.    







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.