Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Song Inspiration: "Gonna Love Me" by Teyana Taylor




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


It’s amazing how one song can bring back so many memories. Currently my memories had me hiding in the bar of the hotel with a slice of cheesecake with strawberry syrup drizzled on top. 


I used to wish I could go back in time and do some things over, but now at 32. Sadie Hawkins was the last time I saw Gunnar, in school. His father’s job relocated and their family had to move immediately. The news didn’t hurt me as much as I thought it would. And then when I turned 20, I got an email from Gunnar and after a while it turned to phone calls and a few visits until we were a long distance couple for a year.


He had started acting differently. Our communication was dwindling, not because of me. He also would disappear for long periods of time. And every time we talked it would turn into an argument, so we both mutually agreed to walk away. It hurt, because he was my first relationship, but I wasn’t going to lose my mind over a guy. I refused to give my power away that easy. 


Gunnar and I had wonderful times together, but our lives were taking us in different directions, we still had more growing to do. The next time I saw him was when I came back home to be with my family while I was in the late stages of my pregnancy. Callie stayed out in the city to continue her classes.


**Flashback**
12 Years Ago - Lemke’s Groceries


One night Bianca, Leslie and I went for a late night run to pick up snacks for a random girls night in. We were in the ice cream aisle trying to decide what to get. “Sophia?” My sisters and I turned to look at who called my name. 


There he was in all his fine and muscular glory. “Gunnar, oh wow! It’s so nice to see you!” I went to give him a hug, but cringed just a little when my stomach touched his body.


I stepped back. “I guess congratulations are in order,” he smiled looking down at my protruding belly. Do you know what you’re having?”


“Thank you and I’m having girls,” I stated. 


His eyes widened, “Twins? Soph, that’s so great. I’m sure the little angels will be just as beautiful as their mama!”


“You’re so sweet. Thank you. Right now the little angels keep kicking the daylights out of me, the doctor says they should be arriving any day now,” I said while rubbing my tummy. 


“Wow. I always thought you’d be a terrific mom,” he got quiet all of a sudden as if he wanted to add more. 


Before it got awkward I decided it was time to wrap the conversation up “Well, it was nice seeing you again. And my number hasn’t changed, so don’t be a stranger. I worry about you from time to time so just text me and let me know you’re doing okay,” I encouraged with a smile.


“Wouldn’t your boyfriend get mad at you for talking to another man?” He inquired. I could tell he was trying to find out my relationship status because I wasn’t wearing a ring. 


I laughed, “Real smooth, Brock. But no. I don’t have a boyfriend. He decided he wasn’t ready for parenthood and bounced and I’m okay with that.”


“You need me to come take care of him?” he asked in a serious tone. 


“Calm down, Tiger. It’s not that serious, but I’ll keep you posted.”


“You do that,” he said. “Alright, let me get out of here. I’m on a beer run for poker night with the guys.”


He brought me to him and wrapped his arms around my waist and like old times I kept my arms at my side and leaned my forehead in the center of his chest. I leaned my forehead on his shoulder. Man, oh man, did I miss him. He whispered in my ear, “Don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything. My number hasn’t changed either. Okay?”


I nodded my head, fighting tears. I lifted my head still looking at his chest, he lowered his head to kiss my forehead. I stepped back and looked at him for what I thought would be the last time. “Good night, “Leslie and Bianca.”


“Good night,” they said in unison. 


He nodded and sauntered away. When I gave birth, he came to visit me and the babies in the hospital. Montell, the girls’ dad, tried to get mad. I was about to set him straight, but Gunnar handled it. When I went back to the city with the twins to pick up where my career and education left off, he called to check in on us and visit here and there. 


We never officially got back together but the girls recognized him when he was in town, but by the time they were four years old, he started his disappearing act again. I made it clear that I and my girls need stability and if he couldn’t handle that then he should bow out before it was too late. 


And he did just that. 


**End Of Flashback**


When I was about to dig into my cheesecake slice, I noticed another fork headed towards my dessert. Distracting me from my daydreaming I head turned quickly to see who the offender was. And of course it was the one person I didn’t want to see. 


“What part of ‘never speak to me again,’ didn’t you quite understand.”


Laughing as if I told the funniest joke of all time, “I know you didn’t mean it.” He then addresses the bartender, “Whiskey Sour, please.”


“Like hell, I didn’t. Gunnar, I told you the last time I saw you that you had to make a choice. Love me openly or not at all. You chose to go. Now you have to deal with the consequences of your choices.”


“So it’s back to Gunnar, now?” He grinned, completely unfazed by what I just told him. The bartender brought his drink over.


“You really don’t get it. I’m so glad I didn’t waste my time with you, I announced. 


He dug his fork into my cheesecake and ate some more, contemplating his next words. “I had my reasons, but trust and believe when I tell you that my leaving had nothing to do with being finished with you.” He looked into my eyes with an intensity I wasn’t expecting as he took a sip of his drink.


I looked away, breaking the tension. I was about to stick my fork into the cheesecake when he slid the plate over to him and helped himself to my dessert. “This is really good,” he exaggerated, taking another bite. 


“You are so irritating,” I grumbled watching him enjoy my treat. 


“How are the twins?”


“Fine,” I huffed, crossing my arms. 


He smiled looking at me, “Edie and Penny are way too sophisticated to be just fine.”


I bit my lip trying my hardest to hide my grin because he was right. I gave in, I never missed an opportunity to brag on my pride and joys. “They’re wonderful. Their grades are great and they want to be singers like me. They even started taking piano, drum and guitar lessons.”


He lifted his fork with cheesecake to my lips. I accepted it. Gunnar knew that the girls were my weakness and right now he was playing on it. “That seems like a lot of noise in the house,” his gray eyes held a sparkle in them. I knew the girls made lasting impressions on him and they probably don’t even remember him. 


“Yeah it is, but thank God for soundproofed rooms,” I chuckled.” He offered me more cheesecake. I ate it. 


“How is their father,” he asked casually.


“We wouldn’t know.” I answered blandly. I wasn’t hurt nor was I angry. I knew what it was from day one. “We haven’t heard from him in a few months and the last time I did hear from him, he was trying to talk me into getting the girls to go into the music business now to build up their revenue and make them rich and famous. I told him in so many not so nice words, ‘hell to the no.’ He got mad at me, cussed me out and hung up.” I shrugged, I was used to my children's father’s antics. “I know the girls can sing their tails off and could go far at 12 years old and beyond, but being in the business myself, I refuse to expose them to that lifestyle until they’re old enough to be responsible and can resist peer pressure.”


He fed me more cheesecake and then fed himself a piece. “If it's worth anything, I’m proud of you.”


I rolled my eyes, then an important question came to mind. “What are you doing here? Are you stalking me?” I asked bluntly. 


He laughed deeply. “No, I’m not stalking you. Harry’s family and mine go way back. We’re good friends.”


“Isn’t that convenient?” I mumbled. He fed me another piece.


Feeding himself the last piece he responded, “You would think so, you always had a hard time trusting me, but if you don’t believe me you can meet my parents if you’d like. They’re in the waiting area with the other guests. I can bring them in here, if you’d like. They’ve been asking me why I haven’t settled down yet, I'd like them to meet my reason why,” he grinned mischievously.


“No. As a matter of fact I shouldn’t even be here doing this,” I gestured to him and the long gone cheesecake, “With you.” I got off the bar stool and left a tip on the countertop. “Stay away from me and the girls, Gunnar. I’m not up for any of your shenanigans. You’re going to try to come back and then you’re going to disappear. It's what you always do. I mean it. Stay away from us.” With that final statement I stormed off. I needed to find one of my sisters. 

 

“You sang beautifully today,” he shouted right before I exited the bar. 


Making my way through the lobby and into the waiting area I searched for Leslie or Callie. Seeing them both talking to the groomsmen, I grabbed their wrists and dragged them to the restroom. When I checked to make sure the stalls were clear, I locked the door and turned to them. “I saw him!”


“Who?” Callie asked “Isaac?” She inquired. 


“No,” I shook my head. 


“Your baby daddy?” Leslie asked. 


I scrunch my nose to make a stink face, “Ugh, no. Why would he be here?”


Suddenly Leslie has a bright smile on her face, “I know!”


“Who is it?” Callie inquired. 


“Gunnar Brock.” She said looking at me. 


Callie turned to look at me as well and laughed. “Ha, no wonder she’s all hot and bothered. I didn’t see him at the ceremony. Is he still fine?”


“Girl, fine is for teenage boys, that man was smoking hot! Forget a snack, he was looking like a whole meal in that three-piece dark blue suit. Oh, and that beard and fresh cut,” Leslie gushed describing my ex. 


“For real? It’s like that? Now I gotta go see him. I wonder if he remembers me,” Callie wondered aloud headed for the door I was standing in front of.


I held my hand out to stop her. “Where are you going?” 


“To see my old classmate, we were lab partners after all,” she teased. 


“Whatever, you’re not going anywhere,” I declared. 


“Why not?” Leslie asked. “Are you really afraid of seeing Gunnar again? We all know you two were together for a hot second, so what’s the big deal?”


“The big deal is, the last time I saw him I told him I never wanted to see him again. Now eight years later we’re sitting at the bar and he’s feeding me my own cheesecake!” I blurted out. 


“Forget looking like a meal, ol’ boy most definitely gotta be looking like a five course meal if he did all that,” Callie remarked. Leslie busted out laughing. Soon enough I joined in. That’s why I loved my sisters. They always managed to talk me off the ledge. 


Once we got our giggles out Callie asked, “Do you feel better now, sis?”


I nodded and unlocked the door. We heard the music playing, the guests cheering and silverware tapping against the drinking glasses in the ballroom, meaning Bianca and Harry made it in. Before we set foot into the room we heard some loud voices behind us. We turned to see who it was. 


“Please don’t tell me that is who I think it is,” I rolled my eyes. 


“You already know it,” Callie confirmed. Leslie remained silent. 


“Oh my gosh, is that Callie and Sophia Noble?!” The woman shrieked. 


“Maybe we can make a run for it and pretend we didn’t hear her,” suggested Callie. 


“I can’t,” I replied. 


“Why not?”


“Because I’m teaching the girls to face their fears that includes monsters and witches. It would make me a hypocrite to duck out. And we can’t have that,” I answered. 


“No, I suppose not,” Callie grimaced. 


“It is you!” Daisy and her entourage of three stood around her. Giving us air kisses we weren’t even bothered to return, she continues the conversation that neither of us were interested in. “It’s so good to see you all! Sophia, my mother told me how you had twins and how their father left you high and dry. You know I really have to give you kudos for rocking the whole single mother life. You go girl! And Callie, my mother informed me that you are still trying to make it big as an actress. Good luck with that.”


“Alright, bye,” I said dismissing ourselves from the one sided conversation. It’s our sister’s wedding and I could not be held responsible for anything I did if I stayed around her any longer. We turned to walk into the reception. 


“Wait, did y’all hear the good news? I’m getting married! I’m sure Leslie must’ve told you.” Daisy informed us. 


“Congrats, to you and the sucker,” I mumbled the last part, causing Leslie to  elbow me in the side. 


I saw a familiar face entering the hotel and headed our way. “Hey, Leslie isn’t that Is—,” before I could get the name out, I saw Daisy smooching the man. When she finally came back up for air, she addressed us. 


“Ladies, I’d like to introduce you to my fiancé, Issac Palmer.”


Before we could say anything, Jacqueline, Daisy’s mother, peeked her head out into the hallway to bring Daisy and her entourage to come sit at their designated table. “Mama, you remember Callie and Sophia,” Daisy offered. 


“Yes, I remember. Now come in before they start serving the meal,” Jacqueline demanded. 


“Hold on a second, I want to introduce the girls to my bridesmaids.” She told her mother. “So ladies, this is Gwendolyn, my maid of honor. And these are my bridesmaids Island, Isaac’s sister, Camille and Monica. And obviously you know Leslie. It’s too bad you won’t be here for the wedding,” she pouted. 


“Yeah, it’s something,” Callie answered, staring at a sad looking Leslie. 


“Okay, we’re going to head inside. Enjoy your evening.” She made a show of grabbing Isaac by the hand and leading him inside followed by all of the bridesmaids except for Leslie who stayed behind with me and Callie. 


“So is that the reason you haven’t given us a straight answer about Isaac all day?” I interrogated Leslie. 


“Look, it's Bianca's day, I didn't want my drama ruining her day. Long story short; Isaac and I had an argument and after two days of not talking, I went to go see him. He was with Daisy. And yes, now I am a bridesmaid for Daisy, she asked and I couldn’t say no. 


Anyway, let’s just go in this reception, get lit and turn up. I don’t even want to think about it at the moment. We’ll talk about it later. I promise,” she told us. 


I wanted to press her for more information, however she was right. It was Bianca’s day and I didn’t want to mess up her perfect day either. “Fine, but we are going to talk.”


With that final statement. Callie led the way and we headed for the table where our parents were seated. 











Chapter End Notes:

Daisy strikes again! Fun times ahead because the Noble Sisters won't take this lying down... Though my writing is far from perfect, but I still  hope you find the story entertaining and interesting. All the best 😊







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.