Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm back with another installation of Confessions! Yay! I'm so excited for where things are headed, things are finally going to start taking off. Hope you enjoy it!

 

Song Inspiration:

"No Role Modelz" by J. Cole

"Superstition" by Stevie Wonder

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye & Tammy Terrell




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Three Weeks Later - Tweety’s Soul Food - Laurel Springs 


Taking a sip of homemade peach iced tea, I was interrupted by Bianca. 


“I can’t believe you two have been here for almost a whole month, if I didn’t know any better, I’d think you two were contemplating moving back.”


“Umm, no. We’re only here to figure out what’s up with Leslie and how Daisy sunk her claws into him. And then stop the wedding from happening. Daisy can hurt me as much as she likes, but she crossed the line when she hurt Leslie the way she did,” I fumed. 


“Right, we’ve been out of high school for well over 10 years now and she’s still pulling the same crap she used to when we were teenagers. And can you explain why we’re all in black?” Callie exclaimed. 


“In movies whenever major moves are about to be made only the best main characters wear black,” I informed them.


“You sound like your 12 year old daughters. But y’all know I never trusted that heffa. And I’m still convinced Daisy heard Sophie and I talking in the locker room the night before her big performance and made a move on Gunnar,” Bianca accused. 


“She did,” I confessed. “When Gunnar and I hooked up a few years later, we talked about it and he told me she ambushed him. And then word got out, via Daisy, about my failed attempt to ask him out. So to save my feelings he went to the dance alone.”


“Aww,” Bianca smiled “How sweet. You know, he and Harry are friends, we can set up a double date dinner at our house for you to spark things back up,” her eyes beamed with delight. 


“Been there. Done that. I respectfully decline that offer. And I spoke to him at the reception, he knows not to come near me again.”


“But what if we have cheesecake for dessert, would that change your mind?” Bianca asked. 


With breakneck speed, I turned to look at Callie, “And this is exactly why you’re the last to know about everything. You can’t hold water.”


She and Bianca laughed out loud. A few minutes later our food arrived. Everything was served family style so there were large bowls of  classic soul food dishes placed in the center of the table by the waitstaff. After thanking them, we said our grace and ate in silence for a few minutes. It was Noble family rule that great food must be cherished. 


“Can someone tell me why we’re here and Leslie isn’t?” Callie asked. 


Wiping my mouth and hands. “We’re here because we need to stop Daisy once and for all. I want to make her regret ever knowing us. And Leslie isn’t here because she’s too nice. I know she’ll try to stop our plans.”


“Agreed. What do you mean by stopping Daisy?  Like killing and torturing her?” Callie inquired with a spark of interest.


“No, crazy! I mean ‘stop her’ as in  stopping the wedding from happening and teach her a lesson or two along the way,” I clarified. 


“Sounds childish, but I’m in. I can’t stand her. How about we contact a journalist at Laurel Springs Times and do an exposè? We have plenty of stories and receipts,” Callie offered. 


“No, that won’t work.” Bianca responded, forking up more yams. “Harry told me that they are going out of business and about to be bought out by a national syndicate. Pretty soon, Laurel Springs won’t have a local newspaper outlet anymore.”


“Crap,” I said, “That was a good idea though, Cal.”


“Okay, I got it!” She perked up again. “What if we pay a stripper to get Isaac in some compromising positions and film it and make it public?”


“No,” Bianca said. “You want to expose Daisy not make everyone sympathize with her.” 


Callie sighed in frustration. “You keep shooting down all of my ideas, what do you suggest we do, dear big sister?”


“I’m glad you asked,” she smiled. “If you want to beat someone like Daisy, you have to think outside the box and there are times where thinking inside the box doesn’t hurt either. Whatever you decide, you have to be smart about it. 


I sat silently taking in my sister’s words. 


Think outside the box. Think inside the box. If I’m on the outside, the enemy can see me coming. If I’m on the inside, then the enemy won’t know I’m an enemy… because I’m one of them or so she thinks. 


I snap out of my mental brainstorming. “I got it. We become bridesmaids!”


“What? How is that possible? She already has her bridesmaids,” Callie offered. 


“When it comes to Daisy, anything and anyone is disposable.”


“Now you're cooking!” Bianca raised her glass to us for a toast. “Let’s get ready to rumble!” 


We clinked our glasses together and took a sip of our drinks. “Since this might turn out to be a big operation,” I started, “I’m going to need you to watch the twins when I’m busy.”


Bianca waved me off. “Do what you got to do. The girls are always welcome.”


******************


Three days later - Lucinda’s Diner 


“Thanks so much for inviting us to this diner. It's so retro!” Monica, one of Daisy’s bridesmaids gleamed. “It’s also nice to meet Daisy’s friends from high school, maybe you can give us some pointers on her childhood for one of the bridal shower games.”


“That would be totally awesome!” Daisy’s other bridesmaid, Simone, cheered. 


“Sure, we’d love to help!” I beamed. 


“So ladies,” Callie started. “How’s the wedding planning going? As you know, we just married off our big sister and let me tell you I’m glad it’s over. All the late nights of assembling the favors and her demanding ways. It got so bad I started creating a list of ways to silently kill her.” She held her head back and laughed like she just told the funniest joke. 


I chuckled along with her. Monica and Simone on the other hand looked at her awkwardly, however I saw them glance at each other as if they could relate to Callie’s story. 


“I’m just kidding,” Callie dabbed the corner of her eyes to control the tears she shed while she was laughing. She was still chuckling to herself as if she was still thinking about her joke. She took a sip of her milkshake and continued on. “In all honesty as much as I love Bianca, she was a hot mess. I didn’t know how much more I could actually take before I told her I would sit in the crowd and watch. She was a bridezilla to the max. I hope things are going a lot better for you two though,” she innocently suggested. 


My little sister is definitely the greatest undiscovered actress. IJS. She was playing this role perfectly. Her makeup was done perfectly, as usual. She looked like a Barbie doll. Her outfit was fashionable enough to look like she belonged in Daisy’s clique. Her hair was in a neat bun, with a blunt bang that covered her forehead, she tied a red bandanna in a bow to give it that girly flair. Instead of wearing her contacts she went back to wearing her oversized circular glasses that displayed her doe eyes. Her outfit was a white off the shoulder top that she paired with her denim shorts and red wedges. 


If I knew that her heart was really into becoming an actress I would’ve found an agent who could have taken Callie’s career straight to the top a long time ago. When she commits to a role. She commits. 


There it is! Monica and Simone looked at each other with those sad gazes, again. It was my turn to interrogate. 


“You know if you two are having a hard time with all the wedding planning, you can tell us. I’m sure we can offer some tips and advice to help things run smoothly. Right, Cal?”


She nodded in agreement, “Growing up, Daisy and her mother  weren't always the easiest to deal with, so nothing you say will shock us.”


The two women across from us sat quietly, but Simone finally took the bait. 


“We can handle her, Daisy. It’s her mother. Jacqueline treats everyone like they’re lower than her and she’s deep into all of those old wives’ tales and superstitions. We have to watch everything we say and do, otherwise she has the biggest meltdowns.” Simone bit into her onion ring. She looked as if she unloaded the biggest burden. 


Bingo, we got them both where we wanted them. 


“Oh no. I remember when we were younger and Callie almost walked under a ladder, Jaqueline almost lost her wig. We couldn’t come over their house for a month,” I shared this true experience with them to make the ladies feel better.


“You know,” Callie perked up. “Not all superstitions are bad luck.”


“That’s true,” I chimed in. 


“Really?” Monica inquired. “All I really know about good luck is the four leaf clover and the rabbit’s foot and Jacqueline already has a rabbit foot, which is creepy when you think about it,” she shuttered. 


Simone nodded. 


“If you’d like we can give you a few tricks of the trade to help Jacqueline relax a little bit. I’m sure Jacqueline and Daisy could use some good luck,” Callie offered.


“If you don’t mind, we’ll take any help we can get as long as it gets that she devil off of our backs,” Simone responded. 


“Okay, you may want to take notes, we have lots of ideas,” I guaranteed. “First of all, do either of you know the song ‘Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’?”


The ladies nodded. “Awesome sauce! That’s Jacqueline’s favorite song. When you all gather for dinner, after everyone has been served, one of you should start singing that song,” I instructed. 


“Simone looked at me quizzically, “Isn’t that bad table manners.”


Callie and I looked out at each other and broke out in giggles. “There’s always an exception to the rule. When we were little we used to sing at the table at all the time. Jacqueline loved it and Daisy always lead the charge,” Callie answered. 


“Sing Jacqueline’s favorite song at dinner,” Monica recited. “Got it! Do you have anything else?”


“Sure do,” Callie answered. “Yellow is such a bright, refreshing and friendly color, so bring in a bunch of yellow floral arrangements. Jacqueline would appreciate that too!’


“Yellow flowers, cool! I’m so excited, I can’t wait to help Jacqueline calm down and not go overboard with this wedding stuff.”


“Oh here’s one more suggestion, when proposing a toast, do it with a glass of water.” 


We all looked over to Callie. “Why water, Callie?” Simone asked. 


Leaning forward, she responded “Because when you water your mind, you water your soul.” After her statement, Callie leaned back and tapped her right temple with her index finger. 


“Ahhhh,” I said as if I’d just been enlightened. “That’s deep, sis.”


“Yeah, you’re so... so...” Monica was stumped trying to find the right word. 


Full of it?


“Wise!” Simone spoke up. 


“Yeah, that’s the word. Wise!” Monica agreed with her friend. 


“I wish I could take credit for that quote, but when you find something you connect with, you hold on to it,” she answered solemnly. 


I told y’all. This girl was good!


The bridesmaids we would soon replace left a few minutes later thanking us profusely for our advice. We went up to the counter to pay the bill. Bianca wanted us to keep her updated on our plans, so Callie was texting her about completing the first half of the mission.


A guy came from the kitchen area wiping his hands on a towel, he wore a white apron over his all black attire. I figured he was the chef, because Lucy wasn’t here. Being a regular at this diner, even when I sporadically came to visit, Lucy hardly had any new staff so seeing this guy was a shocker. And I would certainly remember seeing him. 


He was a tall guy with tattoos all over. There was even one over his right eyebrow that said “Loyalty,” in cursive. The chef was blessed with a nice physique. He had broad shoulders and wasn’t overly muscular, but it was clear he worked out regularly. His face was perfectly chiseled. Though he wasn’t my type, even with the excessive tattoos and tough guy features he would still be considered handsome.


“You two were wrong for that,” he nodded in the direction of the booth we occupied.


“I beg your pardon,” I replied, handing him our bill. 


Taking it, he began ringing us up, “All those superstition tips you gave those girls were for bad luck,” he stated while calculating our on the register.


“What are you? A history buff or something?” Callie asked, her head still buried in her phone. 


“I guess you can say that since I did major in it. $31.23.” He responded. Callie finally finished texting and looked at the guy who was talking to them. She went silent, which was unlike her. 


“Oh… Cool,” she answered awkwardly. 


I handed him my credit card while I let Callie continue to ogle the man. “I’ve never seen you in Laurel Springs before, are you new here?” Callie inquired. 


“I'm not from here. My Aunt Lucy needed my help since she is recovering from her surgery.”


“That’s awfully kind of you,” she smiled sweetly and batting her long lashes.


Shrugging, he handed me the change, “Family first, right? You ladies have a nice day.” He said to us both. 


We thanked and wished him the same. Once we got into the car, “So you’re into chefs now? I thought you were more into actors and artists,” I teased cracking up.”


“Shut up,” Callie laughed and playfully punched me in the arm. “However, I will say, we just fed Simone and Monica to the main she-wolf herself.”


I laughed, “That’s what happens when you mess with a Noble.”


**********************


**FLASHBACK**
Two days ago - Noble Residence - Charles Nobles’s Home Office


Callie sat at my father’s desk as she waited for my instruction on what to research. I paced the floor back and forth. “How do we get two bridesmaids kicked out of the wedding?”


“Give them a surprise vacation,” Callie guessed. 


“No, that’s too easy. We’ll leave that as plan B. There has to be a way we can get in, without looking suspicious.” As I kept pacing, our mother came in the room. 


“What are you two doing?”


“Nothing,” we answered at the same time. 


“I’ve been a mother for over 30 years and nothing always means something when it comes to my daughters,” she challenged. 


Instead of acknowledging her statement, I changed the subject. “Mom, I thought Isaac and Leslie were on the up and up. The first time we see him Daisy is on his arm. Leslie said they had an argument and she thought they would make up the next day.”


“She’s right, they did argue, but when you have a woman like Daisy Montgomery, no heterosexual and rich man is safe.”


“What are you trying to say?” Callie asked. 


Our mother looked like she was ready to spill the tea, but couldn’t fully enjoy doing it because her daughter was involved. “Normally, I don’t include you girls in on grown folks business, but I suppose you both are grown and capable of making your own choices and opinions.”


We nodded. 


“It’s a business move,” she confessed. “You know, your dad is Jacqueline’s lawyer. She inherited her 5th husband’s company after he died. Through the years, all she cared about was the money and neglected the business.”


“Let me guess,” Callie cut in. “They’re going broke.”


“Bingo! She’s not the marrying type or kind because she’s not getting younger, but her daughter is still ripe.”


“This is where Issac enters into the picture,” Callie said. 


“Correct again. Issac’s family comes from old money. All Daisy needed was an inch and that argument gave her just the right amount of wiggle room to push things along.”


“Thanks for telling us, mom. I knew something was off at the wedding every time we asked Leslie about her boyfriend. It all makes sense.”


“All I can do is hope you girls take care of your sister and that little tramp. She almost ruined your senior year and thankfully you bounced back. As far as  Leslie goes, her heart is a lot more delicate, please look out for her because Daisy is definitely playing on all of Leslie’s weaknesses.”


I nodded my head, “Yes, ma’am.”


If the contract was legally binding, we definitely couldn’t stop the wedding from happening, but that didn’t mean we had to give up our plan to still mess with Daisy. Laurel Springs was small, so there's no doubt she didn't know about Leslie’s history with Issac, yet she deliberately asked Leslie to be in her wedding knowing. Our plans definitely weren’t cancelled. In fact, this mission got a lot more personal and I got a spark of inspiration at the same damn time. 


After promising our mother to protect Leslie, she left the room closing the door behind her. A mother plays an important role in a girl’s life and she will do anything to protect her young. I refused to move from my spot until I could fully grasp where my creativity was leading me. 


If you place a mother’s child in jeopardy she will cut the threat off. Everybody has a shortcoming, even Jacqueline. 


“Callie, I need you to look up uncommonly known superstitions. The ones that bring bad luck.” I heard typing behind me. 


She was silently clicking through random articles until she shouted, “I got it! 101 Bizzare Superstitions You Never Considered.”


It sounded promising, so I took a seat across from the desk as Callie read them off. 


“Singing at the table,” she read. 


“What’s so bad about that?” I inquired.


“In the Netherlands, they believe that if you sing at the table, you’re singing to the devil for food.”


“Weird, but I’m pretty sure Jacqueline is well versed on all things superstition. What else you got?”


Callie continued to read different things until she mentioned one that caught my attention. “Giving yellow flowers to friends.”


“Yellow flowers? Isn’t that the sign of friendship?”


“I thought so too, but allegedly the Russians believe that gifted yellow flowers means your sentencing your friend to a life of infidelity.”


“Perfect!” I shouted. “Let’s look for a few more to feed Monica and Simone.”


Callie went back to reading the list of superstitions. “Don’t propose a toast with water. It’s a German superstition and they believe that doing a cheers with water is wishing death on the people you’re toasting with.”


“Thank God, I don’t believe in this stuff, but I know Jacqueline will. She’ll get so mad and freaked out, she will kick them out of the wedding before they realize we set them up.”


“Mission 1: Scope out and eliminate the competition, is officially a go.” I declared proudly. 


Callie and I smacked each other high fives as we had successfully come up with our first plan. 







Chapter End Notes:

So... What'd ya think? I'm debating on whether to link my Pinterest Confessions Of A Bridesmaid story board/character inspiration. I know most times readers have their own ideas about what the characters look like in their heads and I don't like messing that up, lol. Also, I want to give a HUGE thank you TO YOU for reading and/or commenting. I truly appreciate it. Happy Holidays. Stay safe and stay healthy! 🥰







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.