Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Song Inspiration: "My Man" by Lea Michele (Glee Cast Version)




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


One by one each pair made their way to the front of the room. It finally came down to Bianca and our father marching down the aisle. Before Bianca could take another step she heard the reverend speaking. 


“What’s going on?! This wasn’t in the rehearsal.” She spoke with a panicked look. 


“Calm down, dear. Just listen.” Their father soothed her. 


“Daddy—” Bianca started to worry again. 


“Listen.” He smiled to reassure her. 


“Ladies and gentlemen. The groom and the bride came to an agreement in regards to allowing Harrison, here, to choose the song for Bianca to walk down the aisle to. He told me that when she was a little girl, her mother had her and her sisters watching old Hollywood films. Bianca apparently fell in love with a certain movie and song. She had one little sister in particular that had a voice that even the angels adored. 


Bianca had her sister sing the song everyday until the little sister got tired and quit singing that song until today. Sophia, please make your way up to the front.” He called out. 


We heard the guests all abuzz. Bianca looked at me. “You’re really going to make me cry on my wedding day. That’s so not fair. Remember, payback is a mother,” she said with a shaky voice. 


“I love you too, BeBe.” I kissed her cheek and walked to the spot I was supposed to sing. 


I knew I had to blow the socks off of every person in the room. The last time I sang this song wasn’t when Bianca kept forcing me. The last time I sang this song was when I auditioned to get into college. 


The song was emotional just watching the movie, but singing it live, if you had the right muse, made it even more emotional. And for my 17 year old self “My Man” was Gunnar Beck. Back then I was convinced that he was the one for me. I had walked into that audition, introduced myself and pictured the face of one of the judges as Gunnar. I cried real tears singing that song thinking of him. It was a wonder my voice didn’t crack. 


I made it to the side of the bridesmaids to stand in my designated spot. Let’s see if 17 year old Sophia can make a quick comeback. I needed a face to be my focal point. I quickly scanned the room and noticed the silhouette of a man's head that had blond hair and a full beard. I couldn’t focus on the face because he was standing facing the aisle waiting, like the other guests, for my dad and Bianca to make their appearance. 


I imagined this face as the man I loved even if he wasn’t aware of how devoted I was. I wanted this song to be so powerful that he felt like I was singing directly to him, even though he’s a stranger to me. If he turned away from Bianca’s procession for even just a few seconds to look at me, I knew my goal would be accomplished. 


I’m dramatic like that. If you haven’t noticed yet, you will after a while. Stick around.


I took a deep breath and began the song, the conductor and his orchestra were ready. 


“Oh my man I love him so, he'll never know

All my life is just despair but I don't care

When he takes me in his arms

The world is bright, alright


What's the difference if I say "I'll go away"

When I know I'll come back on my knees someday

For whatever my man is, I am his

Forever more…”


By the time I made it to the end of the first half of the song and the song was beginning to modulate I felt eyes on me. I opened my eyes, I didn't realize I closed them. I could’ve sworn I was looking at Gunnar, but I doubted it was him. I think my imagination was working overtime, but I went with it anyway. 


My eyes were starting to well up from the emotions coursing through me. I continued on until I came to a flawless finish. On my last note I opened my eyes to a standing ovation and room full of teary-eyed people, even the twins were crying. Finally coming back to myself, I felt tears streaming down my face. I took a bow and blew a kiss to the couple and left the ceremony with as much composure as I possibly could. 


I went to the dressing room to gather my bearings. I was stunned by how my heart could still be attached to emotions I felt for someone well over 10 years ago. I needed something to drink. When I was little I asked Leslie why do people always offer someone water when they’re upset or crying. With all the conviction a 10 year old could possess, she said “Because you can’t cry and drink at the same time.”


Ever since she told me that, I tried it and she was right. Or maybe that was just me. Finally making my way to the kitchen, I got a glass of water and chugged it down. I was feeling better already. 


I watched the rest of the ceremony on the balcony. It was safer to stay away from people when my emotions were still riding on a high. 


By the time the officiant gave the couple permission to kiss, I was back to normal and I also had new lyrics running through my mind. I told you I love weddings.


The newlyweds and the bridal party walked down the aisle together and headed towards another room to wait for the wedding guests to clear out. I went to go meet them. On my way there I ran into the conductor. 


“Ms. Noble, it was truly wonderful to play alongside you.” The older man complimented.  


“Thank you, sir. The honor is all mine. If you and the symphony ever needs a singer please know that I’m always willing to come back to support my hometown.” I joked. 


“I’m glad you mentioned that. This year we wanted to showcase some of Laurel Springs talent for our annual Christmas concert. We were going to hold auditions, but my assistant and I agree that if you accept our offer to be our headliner then we can cancel the auditions.” He smiled. 


“Oh wow. Are you serious? I would love to be a part of the Christmas concert. Our family used to go every year. It would be a dream come true!” I beamed with happiness. 


“Wonderful, my assistant will contact your manager to work out details!”


“Sounds like a plan,” I responded. I noticed an older lady walking towards us. 


“Young lady, your performance blew me away. My husband said you had the voice of an angel and I believed him, but I just wasn’t prepared for how you took that song and owned it. Well done young lady. I expect great things from you in the future.” She shook my hand and I thanked her for her kind words. 


Wow, I was offered to sing at a major engagement without even trying. Could this day get even better? I thought to myself. 


I began making my way through the crowd to get to the wedding party. I kept getting stopped by the guests who were complimenting and asking me if I was in the music business. It was weird having all this attention from the small country town where the people always had a knack for trying to talk high school graduates out of leaving home because the city had nothing to offer. I’m glad I didn’t listen to them. 


“Excuse us. Coming through. Pardon us.” I instantly recognized the voice of Aspen. Eden on the other hand was a lot more blunt and wasn’t a big fan of crowds. Her manners would have flown out of the window. When they finally made their way to me, Eden took my hand. 


“Mom, everyone is looking for you. Grandma Noble asked us to bring you back to the room,” she informed me. 


“Alright, Jelly Bean. When grandma calls, we must answer,” I looked at the group of people who had bombarded me with questions. “It was very nice meeting you all and I hope you enjoy the rest of the festivities, but I must go and join my family,” I smiled graciously and allowed my twins to lead the way.


On our way back to the room, we walked down a long hallway where it was just us. I broke the silence. “Okay, you two. How did I do?”


“Do you want the brief review or a full review?” Aspen inquired. 


I sighed, the girls were my biggest fans and also my biggest critics. One thing they were not shy about was telling their mama the truth. If they didn’t like a wardrobe choice or a song lyric I could count on them to keep it real. “Give me the full review. I want the good, the bad and the ugly,” I said answering her question. 


We slowed our stroll to a complete stop, and Aspen faced me. “Honestly, you were…” she trailed off trying to find the right word. “Fantastical!” Her eyes sparkled with excitement. “When you first started the song, she sang in a sweet voice that perfectly mimicked mine, “Oh my man I love him so.” She was being so dramatic with her head and arm motions.  


Eden and I cracked up laughing. “Penny, quit playing. I was not that dramatic.”


Eden disagreed. “Actually mom, she’s right.” Then it was her turn to imitate me. She sang the section of the song where the song began to crescendo. “Oh my man I love him so,” next thing I know both girls are singing together in unison and in perfect pitch. 


“He’ll never know.” Then they took turns singing each line.  


“All my life is just despair,” Eden belted. 


“But I don’t care,” Aspen followed up. 


“When he takes me in his arms,” sang Eden. 


“The world is bright,” Aspen sang.


“Alright!” They both sang together. “What’s the difference if I say.” They sang with that line with so much fervor, they stopped right after that part falling into a bunch of giggles. 


I could do nothing but smile and shake my head. “So I take it that mommy did a good job.”


“Mama, Aspen is right. You were fantastic. Everybody cried their eyes out.” Eden responded. “There was even this guy who was sitting in the crowd and he was sitting next to this lady, I guess she was his date, she kept trying to talk to him, but he looked bored and was ignoring her. I felt bad for the lady. She looked so desperate trying to get him to notice her. It was embarrassing. Anybody could tell he didn’t want to be there. When you were walking to your spot after the reverend introduced you he still wasn’t paying attention he was on his phone, but the second you started singing it was like he woke up all of a sudden, his body turned from looking at the aisle to fully look at you. I don’t think he stopped looking at you until you left out when you were done,” she shared her observation. 


All I thought at that moment was, wow. I knew I had set my eye on a target to gage if I could move the audience, but Eden’s observation did help if she saw what I saw. 


It was her gossiping that I had a problem with. “Edie, you know there is nothing wrong with taking in your surroundings, but when you start adding your extra two cents about it it turns into gossip and you know how I feel about that.”


She blew her breath in response, “Yes,” she groaned. “Blowing out someone else’s candle doesn’t make you shine brighter.” 


“Right, so keep all that extra stuff out otherwise it could blow up in your face down the line,” I warned.


We once again began our journey to meet up with our family. “Guess what?” I asked the girls. 


“What,” they both responded in unison. 


“I know how you two were bummed out that your auntie and new uncle’s reception is for adults only, so I talked to Auntie Leslie’s best friend Ms. Island to see if her daughter, Quinn, could watch you two.”


The girls started jumping up and down gleefully. The last time we were in town, I needed a sitter and Leslie had suggested Quinn. When I picked up the girls, all they talked about was how great she was. How pretty she was. And how cool she was. I was happy they had a good time and Quinn wasn’t a bad influence on them.  


“Yay,” exclaimed Aspen. “I’m so excited we get to see Quinn again. I hope she can teach us some new cheers!” 


“Me too,” Eden agreed. 


We finally made it inside the room where everyone was celebrating and taking a break. I was bombarded by Bianca. “Oh my goodness, Sophia. You sang my favorite song,” she proclaimed hugging me tightly. 


“I hope you liked it,” I said hugging her back. 


“I loved it! I’m so glad you and the girls are here” She responded. 


“Great, I’m glad to hear that. And where else would we be on your special day? Bianca can I ask you for a favor?”


“Sure, anything.”


“Can you let go? I can’t breathe.” I asked as my cheek was smooshed against hers. 


Letting go immediately, she apologized and thanked me profusely for singing. I told her she didn’t have to thank me, but she couldn’t help herself. “You know when it’s your turn to get married, I’m going to make you ruin your makeup, like you ruined mine with all the tears I cried listening to you. Sophie, your voice has gotten stronger,” she said seriously. 


Harrison came up to us, “She’s right. If you need any financial support or help meeting the right people let me or Bianca know, we will gladly help you where we can. I know some people out there.”


“Thanks, bro. I will definitely keep that in mind.” I gave him a hug. Harrison was truly a good guy. With the songs I’d written for major artists I had connections of my own. I wanted my first solo album to be born from my hard work. I saved up and prepared for this moment. Nothing or no one was getting in my way. 


I raised my voice to everyone in the room. “Everybody, we made it through the ceremony. Now it’s time to partaaaayyyyyy,” I screamed, dragging out the last word. 


Eden came up to me while the wedding party was cheering and getting pumped for the second half of the day. “Mommy, I thought you said the reception wouldn’t be a party, just adults eating nasty food and listening to boring music.”


Busted, I had to do damage control. “Eden, sometimes adults have to hype themselves up about events that they really don’t want to attend. We are trying to be positive about going,” I tried to explain. 


She just stared at me like I was a clown. I shook my head, because I didn’t even believe the crap that came out of my mouth. “You know what, I’m sorry, I should’ve kept it real with you and your sister. The reception is going to be fun for the adults, but not fun for children. You won’t be able to roam and play around like you would at home. And I have to stay late to help Auntie Bianca and I don’t want to leave you two unattended. That’s why I asked Quinn to watch you and your sister.” I looked down at my phone, “Speaking of Quinn, she should be on her way to pick you up in her brand new Jeep,” hoping she took the bait. 


“She can drive now?” Eden gasped. “And she has a Jeep?! Wait until I tell Aspen!” Forgetting about me, she ran to go find her sister and share the need. 


I grinned, shaking my head. Even though the ceremony was over, I still felt my past nagging at me. I couldn’t quite say I wasn’t surprised, but I knew I couldn’t ignore it either. 








Chapter End Notes:

Is the story interesting yet? Yes? No? Maybe so? Let me know. As always, Thanks for reading! 😊







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.