Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Beta Reader: SilvermoonfireSummary: Nyota had held a successful meeting with her leadership team, and they were all onboard. The best part was that no one knew where they were meeting, as they could move around the ship undetected. Charlene had come up with another invention, this one aimed at disarming Sulu's Security team. This chapter presents the Vulcans' point of view.
See the source imageSee the source imageSee the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Missing in Action

Semek observed Uhura and her personal guard exit her quarters and head for the turbolift alone. His tricorder registered their destination when the turbolift stopped at deck 5. He made a note that the younger female had a bag over her shoulder and then he too traveled to the same deck.

Semek was one of the few Vulcans who had free range of the ship; no one, except Kirk or Spock themselves, could question him about his purpose or whereabouts. He blended in with the crew with an ease that had taken him years to achieve. Commander Spock had advised him that if the crew encountered him on a daily basis, they would feel less suspicious. The S'haile was correct; many crew members would salute him, considering him part of the main bridge crew. So when Commander Spock ordered him to shadow Uhura, it was perceived that he was just a member of the bridge crew/Science department attending to his duties.

Semek had developed strong respect for the Lieutenant Commander; her knowledge of languages and codes were great assets, not to mention her computer skill rating, which rivaled Spock's own. Her small size had not hindered her ability to defend herself successfully on multiple occasions. And her demeanor was a mirror of most Vulcans'-she typically showed a neutral expression, but she displayed her emotions to her advantage when she felt it necessary to make her point understood or to underscore her determination. She seemed to choose those occasions with something akin to... logic. Semek was becoming fascinated with this Terran female; he was beginning to comprehend Spock's attraction to the woman.

Semek also wondered if the S'chn T'gai clan would approve of such a union. Traditionally, a Terran female would never receive any consideration. Spock's father, Sarek, had somehow managed it, and his offspring with the Terran Lady Amanda was considered a full Vulcan and was now heir apparent to his father's position in the clan hierarchy. But Spock was determined that Uhura would be his mate; despite his growing appreciation of her qualities, Semek wondered if the S'haile's plans were at all logical.

When he reached deck 5, he saw Uhura and her personal guard entering Sickbay and wondered whether she was ill. He took a position behind a bulkhead, documented the time and place, and waited for her to reappear. When his internal clock registered that 15 minutes had passed, with no one entering or leaving, Semek left his position to investigate. He was aware that Uhura had a tendency to find herself in physical altercations and wanted to make certain that her safety was not in jeopardy.

A couple moments later, Stonn casually walked up the corridor with his eyes shifting to and fro. Stonn was generally tasked with observing the Captain, but recently-since the physical altercation with Uhura-the Captain's two females had been acting in an unusual manner. Spock had been wondering if there were some connection, so he had Stonn switch his focus to the two females. Stonn entered Sickbay as well.


The first thing Semek noticed was the silence; there were no doctors or nurses on duty, which was strange; someone was always there. He stretched out his senses, trying to detect the presence of anyone, but the silence went on. He walked quietly to McCoy's office and opened the door to nothing; although the lights were dim, his vision was clear: no one was there. Then he and Stonn saw each other at the same moment. Stonn turned to speak, but Semek motioned to him to remain quiet. He gave him another hand signal, ordering him to search methodically; they checked the storage areas, offices, labs, and closets. No one was there. The females were nowhere to be found. Semek used his tricorder to scan the whole department and found no life signs besides Stonn's and his own. "Where could they have gone?" he wondered.

Stonn returned and tilted his head as he too wondered where the women had gone. Stonn spoke softly: "Where could they have gone, Lieutenant?"

"Unknown. Did you see anyone leave or enter?"

"No, they could not have gotten past me. The S'haile will be most displeased." Stonn was nervous for a Vulcan; he did not want to fail Spock.

"Then we shall wait outside Sickbay in the hope that they will return here."

Stonn asked again: "How could they have left?"

Stonn took one look at Semek and saw in his eyes that he did not wish to discuss the subject further. Stonn bowed his head and went down the corridor to his previous hiding place, while Semek went back to his. They watched the crew go by the Sickbay doors, but no one entered or left.

"It is strange how the females disappeared," Semek thought. He pulled out a schematic of the Enterprise and examined the floor plans of the medical office carefully, seeing no other exits. His confusion increased about 25 minutes later when Kirk's women emerged from Sickbay, laughing and hugging each other, and blended into the corridor of people. Semek knew Stonn would follow them.

About five minutes later, Uhura and her personal guard exited Sickbay too. Uhura was wearing her usual neutral face, indicating that she had not been in an altercation this time, which Semek was relieved to see. The two females went to the turbolift, and Semek was able to follow them back to Uhura's quarters, where she entered and stayed for the rest of the night with her guard.


Sometime later during the night, both Stonn and Semek were in Spock's suite reporting:

"S'haile, I followed Lieutenant Commander Uhura at my usual safe distance from her quarters to Sickbay," Semek said. "When she did not leave Sickbay promptly, I became concerned and followed her in, but I found no one there."

"S'haile, just moments before Lieutenant Commander Uhura entered Sickbay, I observed the Captain's women enter Sickbay. When I entered Sickbay to verify their location, no one was there." Reported Stonn.

Spock spoke probingly: "Not even a nurse?"

Stonn responded: "No, my Lord!"

"Then they were hiding!"

"I waited ten minutes before entering and found no one; I searched the entire area."

"They were hiding; you have failed me for the last time, Stonn!"

"I swear, my Lord, they were not there! We searched supply closets, offices, bathrooms. No one was there, my Lord!"

Semek used his Padd to access his report project it on one of the monitors on the wall.

"S'haile, I pulled up the Enterprise floor plans and reviewed them. Stonn and I checked each of the areas that might hide a person."

"A secret panel or side door?"

"I verified that there are none. Nothing was out of place, just the females."

Spock began pacing, thinking about how the women managed to disappear, and it led to one conclusion: "They were transported; if they were transported it would leave a signature trail."

"Computer!"

The computer responded with a deep male voice: "Working."

"Has there been any transporter activity within the past four hours on the ship?"

"Negative."

"Any intra-ship transport within the past four hours?"

"Negative," replied the computer.

Spock tilted his head: "When used, a transporter leaves residual ionization in the air, which should have alerted Security. If they are able to perform intra-ship transport without setting off alarms, they must be camouflaging or dispersing the ionization trails. Impressive."

Spock began pacing again, still considering how the women pulled it off.

Semek continued with his report: "At 20:35 hours, they left Sickbay and returned to Lieutenant Commander Uhura's quarters, where they stayed."

"The Captain's women also returned to their quarters," Stonn added.

"S'haile, I have investigated the vents, closets, any access that would lead to an exit. Nothing," Semek stated.

"How did she appear?"

"No change," Semek replied.

"Same with the Captain's women," Stonn added.

"How was their demeanor?"

"Content, S'haile," Semek reported.

"They have made amends and are now working together. It is the only conclusion," Spock thought. He turned to his men:

"You have done well, but we need to discover the mechanism they used to transport out, since none of us can get close to them without drawing suspicion. You will pick up where you left off tomorrow."

Stonn let out a breath he hadn't been aware he was holding.

The men left Spock alone to think about the woman who had consumed his every waking moment-as well as his dreams-for some time. He sat at his computer and tapped a button to reveal the heart of his desire. Nyota Uhura's face filled the screen, Spock slowly took in her features while his fingers caressed her face.

"T'nash-ve, T'nash-ve! [Mine, mine!]," Spock murmured as he closed his eyes and the image of Nyota remained in his mind.

Spock took a deep breath and focused on the task at hand: discovering how the women had disappeared from Sickbay-and where they went. Already ideas, a theory, and more questions were swirling in his head.

First: "Someone has infiltrated the computer to prevent it from registering the use of the transporter or the ionization trails it creates."

Second: "Who would have the knowledge and skill to alter the computer without being detected?"

Third: "Why would the females disappear without a trace? Where would they go?"

"They are definitely striving for secrecy; they did not wish to be followed. Are they aware of Stonn and Semek's attempts to trail them?" he wondered.

Spock clicked a few buttons and ordered the main bank computer to run a self-diagnostic. A moment later a beep came over his intercom:

Spock spoke firmly: "Yes, Mr. Sulu?"

"Yes, Mr. Spock. I've noticed that the main computer banks are offline."

"On my orders, Mr. Sulu."

"I am aware of that, Sir. But I have to notify the Captain that they are offline, and he'll want to know why."

Spock was annoyed at being questioned: "As First Officer I am authorized to conduct routine checks of any equipment on the ship at any time. Have I made myself understood, Mr. Sulu?"

Sulu paused before answering: "Yes, Mr. Spock."

Spock snapped the intercom off and leaned back in his chair, trying to find peace. His personal chimer buzzed. He was not in the mood to talk, but he needed to maintain order with his people and himself.

"Come."

The female who had betrayed him entered his room. He looked at T'Pring, waiting for her to talk.

T'Pring tried to sound seductive: "S'haile, I request a moment of your time."

The door closed behind her: "I would like to know your intentions with regard to me. Our marriage was arranged with the intent of joining together two of the most powerful families on Vulcan. Do you not wish to accomplish this union of our families?"

"Yes, I am still interested... in the idea."

"You have not... have not shown interest in me to make this possible. I was sent here to accommodate all your needs, S'haile." T'Pring moved closer to Spock, reaching out a hand to touch his shoulder.

"I am aware of your responsibilities to your family, as well as my responsibilities to mine. What do you want?"

"I want you to be my bondmate, as our families agreed," she said, sliding her hand down his chest.

Spock grabbed her hand to stop it from moving further. He felt her warmth; yes, she desired him. But he did not desire her.

"Have you forgotten your indiscretion?"

"I would like to; it would be easier if you did not remind me of it frequently. I know one day your Time will come, Spock. I will be here for you as promised. I will bond with you as promised. That has not changed."

"You foresee us together, T'Pring. I am... moved. But I require loyalty, trust, and... that my future bondmate is not compromised in any way."

T'Pring's lips pinched together, and she removed her hand from Spock as though she had touched a hot poker.

"I shall retire; thank you for a stimulating conversation, Spock."

T'Pring left Spock, feeling singed by the encounter. She pressed her hands tightly together in front of her as she left, her mind spinning with the revelation that Spock had one female in mind-Lt. Commander Uhura. She needed to formulate a plan to deal with the Terran beauty who had taken her man.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.