Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Beta Reader: SilverMoonfire

Summary: The bridge crew are fighting for their lives with no hope in sight. Garrison was struck down and the outlook is grim for our friends. Meanwhile, a desperate ship is speeding across the galaxy to find them.

 

 

See the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

The Barriers to Bare

"Mr. DeSalle, galaxy barrier in two minutes," reported Chekov as he continued to look in the hooded scanner.

DeSalle's demeanor was serious, wondering if he's doing the right thing. Had he waited too long? He hit the ship-wide intercom.

"Attention crew, be prepared for impact. We will be passing through a barrier that will affect the ship's instruments. All damage control crew, on stand-by."

"One minute until barrier," reported Rahda, as she watched the stars pass on the main monitor.

Chekov reported again with an update of the nearby galaxy.

"Scanning the solar system where the signal originated. I've found one planet suitable for life. Sensors indicate massive life forms on the fifth planet. Their technology is industrial level D sir, highly active."

DeSalle thought about the information. "Do they have the technology to transport beams across the galaxy?"

"Yes sir, it's a combination of barbaric and high-level civilization. It's different, but not unheard of. I've seen civilizations that combine low society behaviors with highly technological features. This planet has those qualities."

"What about space ships or other technology that we should be aware of?"

"Unknown at this time Sir"

"15 seconds until barrier," reported Rahda

The Enterprise lurched and shook. The lights on the bridge blinked, flickering as she was pushed through the barrier. People were tossed from their chairs, the command chair swiveling due to the impact.

"Hold her steady Rahda!"

Small beads of sweat formed on Radah's forehead as she maneuvered the ship through the galactic barrier.

"Engines holding sir, but shields are weakening. Down 15% due to the barrier!" reported Kyle.

"Compensate that Mister!"

"Aye Sir!" Kyle input figures into the main engineering computer.

Even though the engines whined under the stress, it maintained its progress through the barrier. Brent and the Technicians scrambled around with their padds, monitoring any change in the engine's anti-matter flow.

Chekov continued to scan with the science hood, forwarding data on the outer barrier to the main computer to chart their next destination.

After two minutes of bumping and jumping, the Enterprise burst through the barrier into smooth space.

"Feeding the coordinates to the helm for the fifth planet Mr. DeSalle, ETA ten minutes."

"Good job Mister. Rahda, and Leslie get us there fast, we don't know if the Captain's in trouble."

Palmer reported, "Mr. DeSalle all decks report minor damage and injuries."

"Good job crew!"

Five minutes later:

"Mr. DeSalle, long-range scanner indicates space crafts leaving the planet on an intercept course for the Enterprise."

"You sure?"

"Yes Sir, they have standard weapons, armed and ready, heading straight for us."

"Palmer, go to red alert. Battle Stations, repeat, Battle Stations. This is-not a drill."

The klaxon blared throughout the ship, sending crewmen running to their positions.

"Lt. Palmer, make contact with those ships and explain our presence. Inform them that we are on a search and rescue mission."

"Aye Sir."

"Their weapons are armed and ready, sir. They will be intercepting us in two minutes."

"Shields at maximum, don't fire until they make the first move Mr. Leslie."

"Phaser banks are fully charged, and torpedoes are armed and ready," stated Leslie.

"No response to our request on any frequency Mr. DeSalle."

"Keep trying and log it, Lieutenant."

The ship shook with an impact. "What the devil?!" stated Micheal, he couldn't believe what he was seeing or what he had felt.

"They fired on us Sir!" reported Chekov as he turned to DeSalle.

Micheal pounded his fist on the armrest, "I guess they want an introduction, let's give it to them. Return fire Leslie and then go to 004 mark 7."

Enterprise returned fire and evaded the incoming attack.

"Fire phasers and then maneuver to 34 mark 10!"

Enterprise glided across space and fired on the ships that were smaller than her, but more maneuverable.

Chekov reported, "Direct hit! The shields are buckling on the lead ship Sir."

"Fire Leslie, then turn 73 mark 15 give us some distance."

"Still no response to our hails Mr. DeSalle"

"They answered Lt. Palmer by firing at us and we are returning the favor."

The ship rumbled from another hit on their starboard side. DeSalle maneuvered the ship and fired from the port side destroying the ship.

"I found them Mr. DeSalle, they are the only humanoids on the planet. They are located in some type of arena. They are surrounded by a mass of creatures! If we were to get closer, we could beam them up." reported Chekov.

"Let's take care of our friends here first, and try to rescue them when things are more secure."

"They're coming around for another attack Mr. DeSalle," stated Radha.

"Get ready to fire on my command."

They watched the two ships approach them, then DeSalle gave the order, "Hard to port and fire at will!"

As the Enterprise moved and fired at the same time, the two ships became disabled. Dead in space.

"Commander, I am getting a signal from the planet, on visual now!"

A fuzzy image of a creature was displayed on the main monitor.

" We commend you on your journey this far, Enterprise. Your people were enjoyable to watch, we had our doubts about your abilities."

Micheal wasn't interested in this fanfare. "Where are our people, you have no right to kidnap them and you fired on us without cause."

"Your people are our slaves for entertainment, this is what we do, this is how we maintain order for our race."

"It is not where we come from, so I am asking you to return them."

"We wish to keep them for breeding but mostly for our deadly entertainment."

"I see where this conversation is going; it is against our policy to let others hold others against their will. Therefore, I will retrieve our people, with or without your permission. Cut communications."

Micheal slammed his fist against the armchair, and turned around to observe the crew. He might be about to break Starfleet regulations.

"Let's get our Captain! Full speed ahead and all weapons to bear."

The Enterprise raced towards the planet as Chekov stepped down to the command chair.

"How are we going to get them Mr. DeSalle?"

"Any way we can Chekov. What that creature said to us, their odds in the arena weren't good, as a matter of fact it's damn right scary."

Michael hit the ship-wide intercom. "I want all available medical teams and security teams to go to the transporter room and prepare medical shuttle crafts right away."

They watched the yellow planet zoom closer on the monitor, and hoped that they reached the bridge crew in time. That they were all still alive.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.