Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Beta Reader: Jsilver2000

Synopsis: Assignment Earth[1]-revisited: Even though this wasn't my favorite episode, the beginning of the show was really good. It was promising; the fight in the beginning was awesome. Spock's nerve pinch was useless, and Gary Seven's strength was greater. The cat let out some wails and jumped on one of the Security detail. The part that I am interested in is the relationship between Spock and the cat Isis. There are some fanfiction stories speculating that Vulcanians were descendants of felines, so I am riffing on that theme. I found little information about Isis, only that she worked with Gary, who always spoke to the cat-as if she could understand him. Isis was a shapeshifter. This episode allowed Gene Roddenberry to try a backdoor pilot. He was hoping to spin off a TV series featuring Gary Seven, Isis, and Roberta Lincoln (a 20th-Century human who stumbled into the story) that would have connected with Khan[2] and the eugenics wars.

Here, I focus on a little snippet of the episode that takes place after Gary Seven is stunned and taken to the brig.    





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Isis and the Vulcan

Isis hissed in distress as she watched Gary Seven lying unconscious on the floor and then being dragged out of the transporter room. At that moment she lay down and meowed in disappointment. She couldn't do anything, so she decided to wait and see where the situation would lead when Gary woke up. She allowed herself to be picked up. Isis was quiet but annoyed about the course of events. The Enterprise crew didn't trust Gary, but their mission was crucial-if they failed, it could change the future. She didn't like the way the security guard was holding her and became restless and squirmed in his hands. Then another pair of hands touched her; they were much warmer and calming. She looked up and saw the Vulcan holding her. There was something about his touch-he was gentler, so she allowed him to hold her. Isis liked him. She noticed his ears, eyes, and demeanor; there was something about him that made her relax. This worried her.

First, she never allowed anyone to touch her except Gary. They were paired, and they had trained together. They were assigned to Earth.

Second, that she was responding to the Vulcan's touch involuntarily was confusing to her.

There was something about this Vulcan. She tried to remember what she had been taught about Vulcanians. "Yes, they are touch telepaths. They are from the original forefathers as am I. We might have a connection, but I may not be able to communicate with him. I am meant for Gary only."

At the same time, Spock was carrying the feline and noticed that the female creature had settled down in his hands, making his job easier. Spock was unsettled, wondering why his Vulcan nerve pinch technique was ineffective on Gary Seven. He had also observed Gary's communication with the feline in the transporter room. Spock surmised there must be some form of mind meld between them, which he found fascinating. It had not been that long since he had engaged in a mind meld with a non-humanoid being himself.[3] So Spock held the feline gently out of respect, and then his hands connected with the skin on the creature's paws, and he realized that the cat was a shapeshifter. He had never beheld one up close; this one was an exception because it could communicate. He walked into the briefing room and placed the cat on the desk; then he secured the door and turned toward her. He eyed the cat and spoke directly to her.

"You may reveal yourself."

Isis sat on the desk looking up at Spock for a moment, flicking her tail as if thinking, and then transformed into a slinky woman. Spock saw a smiling, scantily dressed woman sitting cross-legged on the desk. She was beautiful, with long thick eyelashes and smooth white skin that contrasted with her outfit. Then a soft purr came from her that stimulated his ears.

"Wow, a Vulcan as I live and breathe! Oh my, he's a sexy one. Vulcan, I am impressed that you saw through my disguise. Is it because of your telepathy?"

"Affirmative."

"Oh? Very direct. Your species has mastered their emotions. My people have not; we prefer being expressive," Isis said, purring and leaning toward him.

"Correct, Vulcanians find it more beneficial than violence."

"And yet, your people chose to engage with humans."

Isis looked at Spock and smiled, leaning back slightly getting a better view of him. She found Spock attractive, especially his cat-like features.

"Our purpose is to unite with diverse other peoples of higher thinking to engage in service of the greater good in infinite combinations."

Isis leaned back: "Whoa, that is interesting."

Spock arched a brow and asked, "I am aware of your name; what is your purpose on Earth?"

Isis slowly got off the table and stretched, still purring and looking at Spock. She noticed that he was tall, broad-shouldered, and very handsome. She was attracted to him.

"I work with Gary Seven, as he said. We are from your future. You know, Spock, I believe we may be distantly related; I see feline features in you. Are your people descended from felines?"

"Vulcans are almost as intelligent as the beings who trained me. Vulcans are descendants of the same ancestors as mine, but our lines diverged millennia ago. We should share a kindred heart and spirit, but I will never have the opportunity to find out," Isis thought with a pang of disappointment. "I sense he is controlling his feelings, which is most interesting."

Spock observed her closely and noticed her slanted eyebrows and cat-like eyes. The way she moved was stealthy-like a cat.

"It seems so. I can see that you have the ability to avoid direct answers," Spock replied.

Isis gave a small laugh, realizing that he was not a man easily persuaded. She was close enough to Spock that she ran her slender hand up his arm, noting his toned muscles.

"You are good, Spock. I find you quite attractive. I find your eyes most handsome. Do you have a mate?"

Spock arched a brow and asked, "Again, what is your purpose in this century?"

Isis trailed a fingertip up his arm. "In the future, Spock, you will become a legend and will have followers; even now your fame is spreading," She took a deep sniff, inhaling his pheromones.

"Have you mated? I can smell two different female pheromones. You must not have chosen her yet."

Spock rolled his eyes in annoyance. "My mating status is not up for discussion. I regret that I must use another technique to retrieve the information I seek."

Spock grabbed her exploring hand from his arm and turned her around to face him, staring into her eyes. Isis hissed at his assault. He gently touched her psy points, and a battle ensued in their thoughts. Isis could not let Spock see the future or the location where she and Gary had come from. She tried to protect the plans in her mind. She realized that Spock was stronger; she had not anticipated his telepathic strength.

Finally, she broke free and gasped. "I didn't know that your powers were that strong-surprising in a half-Vulcan! I'm impressed!"

Spock had seen their plan: it was to prevent a nuclear war and preserve Earth. Plus there was something more.

"You desire to mate with your supervisor; is he aware of your attraction?"

Shock came across her face; her hidden secret, even more closely guarded than the location of her leaders or planet, had been exposed. The location was safe, but if Spock probed further he would know. Isis held her head up and batted her long eyelashes.

"I can be attracted to any male if I choose, even you."

"At the moment, I am only interested in your mission. According to our historical database, on this date a nuclear platform is scheduled to be launched," Spock said.

"I cannot confirm nor deny your statement. I have my duty just as you do!"

Spock thought for a moment, she had more information that she had purposely blocked. He had already taken a risk already by invading her thoughts.

"If you do not share the details of your plan, I will be unable to convince my captain that you and Gary Seven are not saboteurs planning to destroy the platform and cause a world war on Earth. And he will continue to hold you both, delaying your mission."

Isis's head snapped up at Spock's words; time was against them. She didn't know what had happened to the other agents or why they had failed to keep in contact. She closed her eyes and tried to reach Seven, but he was still unconscious. "Maybe I can convince him to let Gary go; our mission is primary," she thought.

"Vulcan, you have won. What I share with you could cost all our lives. You have no idea of the seriousness of the situation. I could be terminated for revealing this information to you, and Earth as we know could be..."

Spock watched her and saw the uneasiness in her stance. "If you convince me of your mission, then for the future of Earth, I could be of assistance in your cause."

Isis sighed. "You are correct in your prediction about the nuclear device; it would be the stepping-stone to world war on Earth-which at this time is very unstable. Seven and I are here to assist two others like ourselves to deactivate the warhead or at least divert it from what the United States intends. Earth's current status is so unstable, with its individual nations struggling for power. The United States at this time period is the most aggressive in its attempts at world domination."

Spock linked his hands behind him as he considered the situation. He arched his brow: "A timeline of Earth from your leaders, and you are assisting them to keep Earth on track. Is there a reason that your leaders are interested in Earth's timeline of events?"

Isis leaned toward Spock and tried to run her hands over his firm chest while purring her answer:

"Your logic is fascinating, Spock. I find it quite attractive and am drawn to you because of how you have analyzed this situation. Certain events must occur for the Federation to exist in the future."

Spock began to pace the length of the room, thinking about what Isis had said and what he knew. The Enterprise had already taken the risk of interfering with Earth's past. Spock and Scotty had developed a time-warp formula to take the ship back to the 20th Century. The past had nearly been altered by Captain John Christopher in their first such mission.[4] Spock continued to analyze the situation:

"Mr. Seven did not have to reveal his plan; he could have continued to avoid the questions.

"He looked at me as if he recognized or knew me personally.

"The transport beam that the Enterprise intercepted is so highly advanced that it shut down our main computers and disrupted the ship's engines.

"A civilization hidden in an unmapped galaxy, considered invisible based on currently known scientific laws in the Federation, as well as Vulcan science.

"Those things can in fact exist without our knowledge."

He turned to her:

"I will assist you in your effort; I can create a diversion to allow you and Gary Seven to continue with your mission."

Isis was relieved; she smiled and purred.

"Spock, I hope you choose your future mate wisely. It may make a difference for you."

Isis knew that a powerful man in the Federation's future would challenge Spock; this man's only goal was to dominate and enslave populations in one century.[2] This man would then return in another century to cause havoc, requiring Spock to make the ultimate sacrifice.[5] The past would run smack into the future for Spock and his associates.

A soft sultry voice broke the silence:

"Mr. Spock to briefing room one; Captain Kirk is waiting for you."

Isis smiled when she heard the voice.

Spock shot a puzzled look at Isis; even without his touch telepathy, he was picking up a strong feeling that she knew something.

"It would be best that you transform back to your feline form and take my cues at the meeting."

Isis stood back:

"Thank you, Spock, for the future and beyond."

Isis transformed back into a slinky, purring cat. Spock gently picked her up and carried her to the briefing room.


Spock sat in the briefing room with Isis in his arms, stroking her gently as she purred in satisfaction. She was a sensuous animal; her purring again stimulated his ears, and he had a hard time concentrating.

Kirk looked at Spock, wondering if something was wrong with him. He noticed how Spock was stroking the cat and the loud purring she was making. Kirk had never seen Spock so transfixed by an animal. He leaned on the table:

"What do you make of the cat, Mr. Spock?"

Without looking up at Kirk, and still stroking Isis, Spock responded:

"Quite a lovely animal, Captain. I find myself strangely drawn to it."

Kirk was still frustrated with Mr. Seven and struggling with his decision on how to handle the whole thing. He clicked on the shipwide intercom.

"This is the Captain. All science, engineering, and supervisory personnel lock into the briefing room. Our next decision can be of enormous consequence, not only to us but to Earth's entire future. You've already been given as much information as we have. Please break in at any time with analysis of that information."

While Kirk was talking, Isis was conversing with Seven in the brig. He had finally awakened and was trying to figure a way out of the brig. Isis told him that Spock would help them escape their imprisonment and complete their mission.

"Good job, Isis. I hope you didn't have to reveal too much of the future."

"Spock has an analytical mind; as you are aware, Vulcanians are touch telepaths. He invaded almost all my thoughts; I had to give him something to get him to help us."

"I understand. They didn't discover one of my tools. I am able to break out; how about you?"

"Say the word, and Mister Spock will release me."

After they finished discussing their escape plan, Isis sat anxiously waiting for her cue.

"Navigation report," Kirk ordered.

Ensign Chekov came on the monitor and reported:

"Ve have analyzed the direction of his beam, sir. Our star maps show no habitable planets in that area of the galaxy."

Spock, still slowly stroking Isis, looked at Kirk, knowing that they had not found the hidden planet. With his expertise in astrophysics, Spock could find it, but his future and that of the Federation depended on Seven completing his mission.

"He did say his planet was hidden, Captain."

Kirk continued to contact his department heads:

"Engineering."

Scotty approached the monitor and gave his report:

"Still unable to analyze it, sir. It was so powerful, it fused most of our recording circuits. Could have brought him back through great distances, could have brought him back through time. There's no way for us to know."

Then Kirk turned and looked at Spock, who was still stroking the black cat.

"Mister Spock, historical report."

"Current Earth crises would fill a tape bank, Captain. There will be an important assassination today, an equally dangerous government coup in Asia, and-this could be highly critical-the launching of an orbital nuclear warhead platform by the United States countering a similar launch by other powers."

Spock was careful not to reveal anything he had learned from Isis. He could tell that Isis was grateful. "Thank you" popped into his head. He had a simple mind link with her.

"Weren't orbital nuclear devices one of this era's greatest problems?" Kirk asked.

"Most definitely. Once the sky was full of orbiting H-bombs, the slightest mistake could have brought one down by accident, setting off a nuclear holocaust."

Kirk didn't like the sound of that, which made him more frustrated about his decision. He wanted more facts; he needed to know what kind of being Seven was. Kirk snapped the Sickbay intercom, and the bosun whistle blew.

"McCoy here!"

"Bones, hurry with that report. Join me in the briefing room with your analysis."

"Acknowledged."

Spock continued to stroke Isis on his lap, driving her crazy. She was turned on each time he made contact with her fur; she had trouble controlling her emotions and she purred in satisfaction. "He is so good-I like it!"


Meanwhile, in the brig, Gary Seven had managed to escape by using a high-technology weapon that resembled a silver pen. He deactivated the force field and gently knocked out the guard. He was surprised that Isis had revealed so much to the Vulcan; he had recognized Spock right away from their history modules. He wished he could have met Spock in different circumstances; it would have been an honor to converse more in depth with Spock. But at the moment, Seven had to find out what had happened to his contacts on Earth. Seven quickly made his escape to the transporter room.


A few minutes later, Dr. McCoy entered the briefing room with his report. He was amazed by Gary Seven; he didn't know what to make of the man. McCoy had a lot of questions to ask him.

"Well, I must admit the sensor readings seem too good. Human readings, yes, but not a single physical flaw. Totally perfect body."

"If an alien needed a body..." Kirk said, thinking of other lifeforms the crew had encountered that had made themselves look human, either to adapt or infiltrate. It made his decision harder.

"...he might be inclined to prepare a perfect one, Captain. But then again he may be telling the truth," Spock said, trying again to guide Kirk to follow through with Seven's plan.

Isis told Spock: "He IS telling the truth! I want to scratch Kirk's eyes out-the fool! Seven is waiting for me; he's almost at the transporter."

"May your mission be successful," Spock replied.

"Gentlemen, I need proof. All you're telling me is that on the one hand he may be lying and on the other..." Kirk said, again in frustration.

Spock released Isis as planned, while Kirk was talking. She leaped off the table and dashed out the door.

At the same moment, Security announced that Gary Seven had escaped from the brig. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy noticed the cat's disappearance, and then Uhura broke in to state that the transporter had been activated. The three men ran out the door.


Isis entered the transporter room just as Seven locked in the coordinates.

"I wonder how much our detention will delay our mission," Isis said.

"It doesn't matter. We have our orders; nothing must interfere," Seven replied.

Isis meowed as she rushed to the platform, "What if they catch us again?"

Seven picked her up as he stepped onto the transporter pad and said out loud:

"I know, Isis. But we'll be gone before they get here."

The two dematerialized.

The End

 






Chapter End Notes:

 

Authors notes:

[1] Much of the dialogue is taken from the Star Trek TOS: "Assignment Earth" (Season 2, Episode 26) transcript .[www]. [chakoteya] .

Star Trek Fandom archivescom: Isis:

Isis was a shapeshifter who accompanied Supervisor Gary Seven from his secret base to Earth on a 20th century mission.

Isis was involved in the 1968 sabotage and detonation of a nuclear missile in the atmosphere just 104 miles above the surface of central Eurasia. This near-calamity made the rival governments cease, at least for a time, the deployment of nuclear weapons in orbit, and rethink their old strategy of "balance of power".

Though she was seemingly Seven's pet cat, Isis was more than she appeared to be: she communicated with him telepathically, and understood his spoken words. She accompanied Seven wherever he went, and watched out for him. Isis was also able to take Human form. In both forms, she wore the same collar around her neck.

[2] "Space Seed" (Season 1, Episode 22).

[3] The Horta in "The Devil in the Dark" (Season 1, Episode 25).

[4] "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" (Season 1, Episode 19).

[5] Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.