Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Pride and Logic Chapter 20

Each passing day at D’Hriset brought Nyota a better understanding of Spock’s character. His solicitous behavior did not end on that first day but continued throughout Nyota’s visit. Her aunt and uncle were well pleased with him and Nyota found herself to be in complete agreement. She wondered how she had ever come to dislike Spock before Sybok’s bothersome interference. While she did not make the mistake of calling Spock kind, there was a thoughtfulness about all of his actions towards her that she could not discount. By the fourth day, Nyota was fully convinced that the apparent change in Spock’s demeanor was sincere and permanent.

“Perhaps he’s not the only one that changed,” Gaila concluded after Nyota had finished telling her of Spock’s extraordinary behavior. “Maybe you have too.”

Nyota sat back in her chair and observed her friend thoughtfully.

“I suppose you’re right,” she replied before leaning towards the viewscreen. “Four months ago I was quite determined to disapprove of him. How little I understood his nature. I am glad that we’ve been able to salvage some cordiality between us. Perhaps he has forgiven me and can view me as a friend.”

Gaila snorted. “A friend? Chica, from what you have told me he certainly wants more than friendship from you.”

Nyota opened her mouth to retort before Gaila cut her off. “No, Ny. Last time you didn’t believe me when I told you that he fancied you and look where that got you.”

It was Nyota’s turn to laugh. “Fancied? I think your exact language was that Spock wanted to ‘hit my ass like it stole something’.”

“Fancied. Make hot Vulcan love to you. It’s all semantics really,” Gaila replied with a wave of her hand. “The point is that I think Spock’s feelings have not changed.”

Nyota ducked her head. “I don’t dare to hope for that much, Gaila. You do not know how much my rejection and accusations hurt him. When he touched my mind, it was like someone stuck a hot poker in my side. I’ll never forget it. No. It is enough that he no longer thinks ill of me.”

Gaila leaned towards the screen. “And how do you feel about Spock?”

Nyota took a deep breath. “I think I love him, Gaila.”

“Oh, Chica!” Gaila squealed. “I knew it! I knew it!

Nyota gave her a watery smile. “But, he is still betrothed to that awful T’Pring. I’m still a cadet. He’s still an ambassador’s son.”

“None of that is important. You love him and I am sure that he loves you. That’s more than enough.”

“Well,” Nyota shrugged.

“So, what is on board for today? More garden-side stargazing? Swimming in a secluded lagoon?”

Nyota laughed. “No, nothing romantic. Spock and I are going to the Shi’Khar Museum of Ancient Art and having lunch in the city.”

“Oh, just you and Spock?”

“It’s nothing so sinister. Amanda and my Aunt are just a little tired from yesterday’s activities and Uncle Jomo is spending the day on the archery range. Art was never Uncle’s cup of tea.”

“Hmmm,” Gaila replied, one red eyebrow arched in skepticism. “That’s all mighty convenient.”

Nyota smiled. “Perhaps you’re right.”

“I’m always right,” Gaila replied with a bright smile. “Now you have a wonderful date with Lt. Commander Hot Pants. Ray Ray and I have a hot date planned at the playground.”

Nyota laughed. “Kiss my cousin for me!”

“Will do. And I expect another subspace call tomorrow morning. I want details!”

************************

“Oh, Spock, isn’t this painting lovely?”

Spock looked up from the small figurine he was examining at Uhura’s bright voice. Ignoring the pointed looks of his fellow Vulcan museum patrons, Spock walked over towards the smiling woman.

“The brush technique is quite precise for a pre-Surak artwork,” Spock replied diplomatically. While he would not be wont to describe anything as “lovely” he could readily appreciate the technical merit of a piece.

Nyota turned towards him once more, her smile luminescent. Spock gazed at her steadily and amended his previous assertion. He would certainly describe Nyota Uhura as lovely.

“Nyota, have you given any thought to applying for a position as a teaching assistant this coming semester?”

Nyota turned from the painting to look at him curiously. “No. I was told that only third year students were eligible for TA positions.”

“Ordinarily, that is the case,” Spock continued as he began walking towards another exhibit. “However, students such as yourself who possess an advanced acumen are allowed to assume such a position upon the recommendation of a professor. Due to your exemplary performance in my seminar and after a careful review of your record, I would readily provide you with such a recommendation.”

Nyota smiled broadly. “Thank you, Spock.”

Spock nodded in reply. “There are a number of professors within the linguistics and engineering departments whom would benefit from your assistance and from whom you could learn much in turn. Professors Swanson and Ulche’a would be excellent matches.”

Spock paused as Nyota’s smile faltered. “Oh. I see.”

Spock stopped his progress and turned to face her fully. “I believe that you possess a skill set that would be highly beneficial to their research. Indeed, I would ask you to consider applying for the position of my assistant were it not for the potential breach of regulations that such an arrangement would entail.”

Uhura looked up sharply. “And what regulation would my serving as your TA breech, Spock?”

Spock regarded her silently for several long moments, noting the slight flush to her cheeks and the dilation of her pupils. His hands dropped from their customary position behind his back to rest at his sides, his fingers flexing as he stepped towards her.

“Nyota, I…”

“Cousin,” the voice of Selkek rung out through the gallery. “Well met!”

Spock permitted himself to sigh before turning from the cadet to greet his cousin. While he was pleased to see his kinsman, he was less pleased with his sense of timing.

“Well met, Selkek,” Spock replied as he lifted his right hand in the Vulcan salute.

“And Miss Uhura,” Selkek said as he stepped around his cousin to greet the cadet. “What a surprise to find you on Vulcan! I am beyond pleased to meet with you both!”

Nyota smiled brightly as Selkek clasped one of her small hands in his, pressing it slightly and transmitting some of his happiness.

“I believe it has been three Terran standard months and two weeks since we were last together.”

“Yes, in May,” Nyota replied with a smile. “What a lovely surprise! It is good to see you again.”

Selkek made no effort to hide his pleased grin. “ What brings you to Vulcan?”

Spock’s lips thinned as Selkek offered Nyota his elbow and began to walk from the gallery with the cadet. Finding his place usurped, he had no choice but to follow after the pair as Nyota filled Selkek in on the details of her visit thus far.

“How extraordinary, that your aunt and Lady Amanda would be such old friends? The Federation does feel rather small sometimes,” Selkek looked over his shoulder at this, throwing Spock a significant glance before returning his attention to the small brown woman on his arm. “ But I shall not complain for it has brought me into your company again.”

“Nyota,” Spock interrupted. “We should depart from the museum within the next five minutes if we intend to make it to the restaurant in time for our reservation.”

“Oh,” Nyota replied. “Why don’t you join us for lunch, Selkek?”

“That would be wonderful,” Selkek replied before looking towards his cousin with a sly smile. “That is if my cousin does not mind sharing you.”

“The reservation is for two,” Spock curtly replied.

Selkek’s grin widened, “I’m sure that they can squeeze one more person in at your table.”

Spock opened his mouth to offer a retort before the press of Nyota’s small hand upon his arm silenced him.

“Please, Spock. I am sure they could accommodate us.”

Spock tamped down a small flame of irritation before he nodded his acceptance.

“Excellent!” Selkek replied with a small clap of his hands. “Then let us be on our way.”

Spock followed the pair as they made their way towards the exit. He was most desirous of speaking privately with Nyota once more. Now that his cousin was aware of Miss Uhura’s residence at D’Hirset, he wondered if he would get another chance to converse privately with her before the conclusion of her visit in three days time. However, Spock’s agitation was short lived when Nyota detached herself from Selkek’s arm to walk by his side once more.

“Thank you,” she whispered as she lightly pressed the back of his hand.

A pleasant warmth ran up his arm and seemed to diffuse over his entire body. “You are welcome, Nyota.”

**************

“I have some wonderful news for you all,” Amanda said brightly over breakfast the next morning.

Nyota looked up from her plate of fruit expectantly.

“My husband Sarek will be returning home this afternoon. The conference ended early, so you all will have a chance to meet him after all!”

“Oh, that is good news,” Aunt Tonya piped up. “I so look forward to meeting your husband, Amanda.”

Nyota felt her stomach clench. She glanced over towards Spock to find his dark gaze settled on her. His expression was unreadable.

“And since you all will be leaving us so soon, I thought that tomorrow we could host a small dinner party in honor of your visit and the successful conclusion of Sarek’s conference. I’ve invited a few of our colleagues and friends. It should be a lovely way to cap your visit with us.”

“A dinner party? How lovely!” Uncle Jomo replied.

“Aren’t you glad that you let us convince you to purchase that gown, Nyota?” Aunt Tonya added as she reached over and squeezed Nyota’s hand.

Spock found Nyota leaning against the railing of the west wing balcony after breakfast. As soon as the meal had finished, she sought refuge there in an attempt to calm her nerves. She had spent the last half hour staring at Mount T’Harna in the distance. She did not know why the prospect of meeting Sarek caused her such disquiet. Nyota had endured nearly a week of the special attentions of Lady T’Pau. Surely she could handle one ambassador.

“I have spoken with my mother regarding the arrangements for the dinner,” Spock began. “The party will indeed be a small one. There will be several there who claim an acquaintance with you.”

Nyota turned to look at him, one brow arched in question.

“Selkek and his sister.”

Nyota turned towards Mount T’Harna once more. While she was delighted to see Selkek again so soon, she was less enthused to meet with his horrid sister. When she had last met T’Pring she had found the Vulcan’s active dislike of her to be laughable. Now she knew the woman’s ire to be well placed.

“I suppose you will be pleased to meet with your betrothed once again,” she offered.

“Not particularly,” Spock replied.

Nyota turned, leaning her back against the railing as she studied his profile. “And why is that?”

“T’Pring and I were betrothed in childhood per Vulcan custom. However, we were never well suited to one another. As we matured our active indifference towards one another transformed into an active dislike. This and recent developments have led me to conclude that it would be illogical and unwise to bind myself to her. I intend to seek a dissolution of our bond.”

“This is a recent development?” Nyota asked in some disbelief. Spock had proposed to her not three months ago.

Spock looked down at her, his dark eyes willing her to understand. “It has been my intent to sever our bond these past four months.”

Uhura’s eyes widened. “I see.”

He tilted his head. “Do you, Nyota?”

Nyota opened her mouth to reply when the door to the balcony slid open.

“Master Spock,” Seved began. “The Ambassador has arrived.”

Spock stiffened beside her. “Very well. Thank you, Seved.”

Seved bowed and quickly exited the balcony. Nyota turned towards Spock, her eyes wide with apprehension.

“Come, let us greet my father, Nyota,” Spock said as he offered his elbow.

Nyota glanced down at his offered arm and took a deep breath before threading her arm through his.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.