Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The Doctor worked tirelessly on the TARDIS.  That was really all there was to do since Martha had decided to abandon him and their adventure.  He tried a go with Donna, but she just wasn’t the person that he wanted.  No, he wanted Martha, but she was married now and he had himself to blame.

 

Why didn’t I just tell her I love her? He wondered to himself as the TARDIS lurched as if she were fixed, just to be still again.  Her temperament was melancholic, just as his was.  Yes he and the TARDIS shared the ability to read each other’s mood and one often reflected the other.  He rubbed his hands up and down the side of his slacks realizing that he needed a break, yet he didn’t know where exactly he was.  When she stopped abruptly The Doctor went straight to trying to fix her.  She had been doing this for some time now and all he wanted was for the TARDIS to work, and maybe find something to take his mind off Martha.

 

“I hope that when I get back you have decided to shed this mood you’re in.  This has gone on much too long.” The Doctor yelled at the TARDIS. 

 When he opened the door he knew instantly that he was in London, that he was near her.  Closing his eyes he sighed. Why did she bring me here of all places? 

Just they two cars collided jolting the Doctor back to reality, or this reality.  Running towards the accident his voice caught in his throat as he saw Mickey Smith’s head lying on the steering wheel bleeding profusely.

 

~*~

 

Martha Jones sat on the floor of the break room nursing a Pepsi.  God she was tired and her feet hurt so badly, but she was on call and that meant about six more hours of this.  She sighed as she eyed the cots in the corner.  Would she really be able to get a little sleep or would she close her eyes just to have another emergency.  It was days like this she wished she were a secretary or something.  Rising from the carpeted floor she figured she’d take her chances, she was bone tired and she would have to go to the UNIT after this.  She was seriously contemplating their offer and quitting the hospital altogether and just working for them.  She loved helping people on a one on one basis, but this was becoming too much for her body, her mind and her marriage.  It had only been a year and a half and Mickey was already complaining about never seeing her. Sometimes she felt that she had made a mistake in marrying him.  He wasn’t who she loved.  Honestly she didn’t know who she loved, she just knew that it wasn’t him and that pained her.  She would stay with him though, she had to.  He loved her and at one time she allowed him to believe that she had felt the same.  He didn’t know that he was a fill in for the Doctor.

 

She thought of calling him everyday.  Just to say hi.  She never did though; sure that he had found another companion that this person was his new thing, his new friend and confidant.  Sure that they were off in some galaxy on some adventure saving the day. She longed for those days, to see Shakespeare one day and an unheard of planet the next.

 

Absent-mindedly her hand went to her pocket where her phone resided.  One phone call and she could be gone.  Leaving all this behind; Mickey, her family, her life, she could be gone like that with a phone call.  She yearned for his face, the TARDIS, the experiences, she missed it all.

 

The insistent buzzing jolted her back to reality, this reality at least and she grabbed her beeper.  The hospital had tried to page her, but lost in her thoughts she had missed it.

 

“Martha Jones, paging Dr. Martha Jones.  Please come to the ER.”  The loud speaker blared.  She found it odd that they wanted her in the ER but didn’t say a code of any sorts.  She didn’t know what she would be facing when she left the break room.  Maybe they were on Mars this time.  Sighing she threw her legs over the side of the cot and looked at her watch.  “Ten bloody minutes.” She grumbled.  Off she was to saving another life, while hers slowly fell apart.

 

~*~

Mickey Smith could hear everything.  When one of the paramedics said he didn’t think he was going to make it.  Mickey screamed inside, hoping that they would escape his mouth and make they change their prognosis. He screamed so silently it was almost beautiful; for Martha, for his mother, for The Doctor, for anyone that might be able to shake him of this nightmare. Then the most peculiar thing happened, he could feel his brain shutting down.  It was relaxing and Mickey Smith could’ve cared less if they revived him, Martha didn’t love him, his mother lived in America now.  Maybe his death would be a fitting turning point in all of their stories.

 Funny there were no ‘Tunnels” and ‘bright lights’ just peace, not that Mickey could really tell us anything else about his death.      











Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.