PLAYBOOK by marchpisces92
RetiredSummary:

When Wilhelmina "Mina" Porter comes back into thier lives after ten years; Wide reciever Reid Stone finds himself questioning who Blake McCarthy is as a person again. Mina was Reid's best friend and maybe even more. Blake was also his best friend, teammate and almost like a brother to him. However one secret that Mina has been harboring for the past decade could very well force Reid to pick one friend over the other.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Romance
Story Status: On hiatus indefinitely
Pairings: None
Warnings: Rape
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 9838 Read: 23047 Published: July 23 2016 Updated: September 08 2016

1. PROLOUGE by marchpisces92

2. PROLOUGE CONTINUED by marchpisces92

3. NINE MONTHS LATER by marchpisces92

4. THE PERFECT OPPURTUNITY by marchpisces92

5. OLD FRIENDS REUNITE by marchpisces92

PROLOUGE by marchpisces92

PROLOUGE

Reid Stone was certainly impressed. In less than ten minutes Wilhelmina Porter explained to him the parallel similarities between Julius Caesar and Jesus Christ.

"We'll be sharing our answers in a few minutes that way I'll have time to assign the midterm assignment" the professor announced

"Mina why don't you share the answer?"

Just like that Reid watched Wilhelmina's face fall a little and she shook her head no

"No that's okay" she insisted

"Mina you came up with the answer though" Reid said knowing full well why she didn't want to share her answer "you'll be fine"

Reid watched Wilhelmina bit her lower lip and shake her head again he really felt sorry for her. Wilhelmina was one of his best friends from church back home growing up together; Reid knew that she had Tourette syndrome.

She was one of the sweetest and kindest person someone could meet and very smart too; it was just that she suffered from that disorder.

None of the members of their church or youth group looked down on her for it but Reid knew that Wilhelmina probably got teased for it at school. Since they didn't go to the same schools Reid up until now in college he couldn't say for sure how her peers treated her but it was clear that she was seen as different.

It also didn't help that as a young black woman Wilhelmina had a condition that was mostly common in white people; white males in particular. 

College was a time for not only a young person to grow academically but to find one's self and become comfortable in their own skin. That didn't seem to be the case for twenty-year-old Wilhelmina she was still insecure about her Tourette's as an adult as well.

"Mr. Stone are you and Miss Porter ready to present your answers?" the professor asked

Reid looked over at Wilhelmina one more time and sighed, "Yes we're ready"

 

Class was dismissed after the professor assigned the midterm assignment. It was three in the afternoon and Reid had football practice in another hour but he wanted a word with Wilhelmina first.

"Thanksgiving break is next week" he said, "do you have a ride home?"

"Yes" Wilhelmina replied "I'm g-g-getting a ride with Katrina"

Reid nodded. They were in their junior year now so he was glad that she was making more friends outside of their home church group even if it was just the campus church group.

Both freshman and sophomore year Reid had given Wilhelmina rides home during their breaks; since she didn't have a car and neither did her parents. Reid was the one who taught Wilhelmina how to drive but she was still saving up for her own car.

"Reid I'm s-s-sorry about that" she stuttered and her mouth twitched a little it was one of the many symptoms of her Tourette's

"It's fine" he insisted "but Mina you can speak up for yourself I know you can"

"I know it's j-j-just I don't w-w-want people to think I'm weird"

"Mina you're not weird you know that"

"I know," she said feeling a bit defeated "I'm s-s-supposed to meet Katrina and Lizzie for c-c-choir practice"

"Well I know you're looking forward to that," Reid said since she was a member of the church choir back home too

"Yes" she smiled "I'm doing a s-s-solo on Sunday and I'm h-h-hoping I don't stutter"

"Well that's what practice is for you'll be fine"

"Yeah I should um get going" she said, "thank you again"

"No problem Mina"

 

Reid made his way onto the field as the rest of the team waited for their coach to show up for practice. It was only the fall semester and it looked like the Bloomsburg University Huskies were having a good season so far.

With there being so many juniors and seniors on the team they were certainly trying their best to brush up on any skills to showcase for any NFL recruiters. 

Practice hadn't technically started yet what had started was his best friend Blake McCarthy going on about one of his many tall tales to the team.

"So Blake what are you planning on doing for the big 21?" teammate Harvey Welch asked

"Oh dude you already know" Blake smirked "it's the Friday before we leave for Thanksgiving break there's going to be a ton of booze and all the pretty ladies on campus are invited of course"

"What about Mina Porter?" Scott Wheeler asked and Reid's ears perked up at that.

Blake's nose wrinkled in disgust and a mask of annoyance covered his face "What about her?"

"Don't play dumb McCarthy" Allen Houston pointed out "you know she has a big crush on you"

It was true although Reid honestly didn't understand why or how but Wilhelmina really did like Blake. Whenever Blake was mentioned or she was around him Wilhelmina would get gitty and smile a lot. 

Although Blake was his best friend and almost like a brother to him Reid knew that Wilhelmina wasn't his type and he definitely wasn't the guy Reid would imagine her going for.

It was a typical good girl falls for bad boy situation. In which Wilhelmina only viewed Blake through rose tinted glasses.

"Hell no" Blake replied "dude I said pretty ladies not ones that can't even finish a sentence without stuttering or going like this"

Some of the teammates chuckled as Blake imitated some of Wilhelmina's twitching

Reid was disgusted if only Wilhelmina knew the truth he didn't have the heart to tell her otherwise not when she thought that Blake was the moon and stars.

"Very funny Blake" he said as he made his way over to the rest of his team

"Oh c'mon Reid you know I'm just joking about your friend" Blake chuckled "she is a little bit special"

"Mina has Tourette's" Reid said simply "you know that"

"Whatever" Blake brushed it off "enough about her you're coming to my 21st birthday jam right?"

"Yeah I'll be there" Reid said he was already twenty-one since he was three months older "somebody has to be there to make sure you don't do something stupid"

"Dude I'm going all out are you kidding me?" Blake exclaimed, "besides it will be the start of Thanksgiving break"

"Yeah I guess I can give you brownie points for not having your party during the school week"

"That's what I'm talking about man!" Blake laughed patting Reid's shoulder

 

Everybody on Bloomsburg campus heard about Blake's party and it was on the Friday before most of the students made their way home. It was the topic of discussion as choir practice at the campus chapel ended.

It turned out that Katrina Matthews had to leave a bit earlier in the week as opposed to that Friday. However Wilhelmina didn't want to miss any classes even if Thanksgiving break was coming up and opted to leave on Friday.

"Mina why don't you go to Blake's party?" Lizzie Thompson suggested and Katrina piped in "Yeah I'm sure it will be fun"

"Oh no I can't" Wilhelmina blushed

"C'mon don't let your crush on the birthday boy hold you back"

"I d-d-don't think Blake l-l-likes me" Wilhelmina said "even though I like h-h-him"

"I can go with you if you're scared" Lizzie volunteered

"No that okay" Wilhelmina said, "I'm j-j-just going to go home"

"Will Reid give you a ride home instead then?" Katrina asked "I'm sure he will he's done so in the past"

Wilhelmina hadn't even thought about that. As nice as Reid was she sometimes felt like a burden to him and even though she knew Reid would be willing to give her ride back to their hometown it felt selfish.

Blake and Reid were best friends and Wilhelmina was sure that Reid wanted to go to his party. She couldn't just ask Reid to just drop his plans to drive her three hours back home that Friday it wasn't fair to him. If only she had her own car.

"Reid p-p-probably wants to go to the party"

"True" Katrina said "but I know Reid and he's always there for you Mina he'd take you home in a heartbeat"

"I'm just going to w-w-wait until Monday" Wilhelmina said "that's t-t-technically the last day of classes anyway"

"Oh Mina" Lizzie smiled "at least let Reid take you home Saturday or Sunday you don't want to be the only one in class do you?"

"I'm f-f-fine with that"

"Ask him I'm sure it will be okay"

 

Reid was making his way to practice Wednesday afternoon when he noticed Wilhelmina making her way to the campus library to do some studying. Which confused him because he thought she was going home with Katrina.

"Hey Mina"

"Hi Reid"

"What happened I thought you were going home with Katrina?"

"Katrina's father is about have s-s-surgery so she w-w-wanted to home for h-h-him" Wilhelmina explained "she wants to h-h-help her mother"

"So I guess that means you still need a ride"

"Yes" she replied, "I'm s-s-sorry Reid"

"That's okay" Reid said, "are your folks still expecting you home by Friday?"

"Yes but I c-c-can tell them I'll c-c-come home on Monday"

"Why do you say that?"

"I know you w-w-want to go t-t-to Blake's party"

She was right. Anybody who was anybody would be at the frat house that Friday celebrating Blake McCarthy finally being legally old enough to consume all the alcohol he wanted that he had been for the past three years anyway.

However at the same time Reid knew that Blake had invited Wilhelmina and she would be one of the few people stuck alone in her dorm missing out on all the festivities simply because he didn't like her and thought she was weird.

Reid didn't want Wilhelmina lonely on Friday night when she could be back home with her parents and their church group; the people who loved and cared for her.

"Mina do you want to go home Friday?"

"I c-c-can wait until Monday"

"That's not what I asked you," he said being patient with her "do you want to go home Friday?"

"But w-w-what about the p-p-party?"

What about the party? Blake's party honestly wouldn't be that much different from past frat parties that they had. And it wasn't like Reid couldn't go out to the bar with Blake for a few drinks during the break they could do that.

"We can leave at three in the afternoon" Reid said "that way it will still be light out and the road won't be too crowded and it won't be late when we get home"

"Are you s-s-sure?"

"I'll be outside Whitman Residence Hall at three on Friday" he said

 

"YOU'RE WHAT?!?" Blake exclaimed "DUDE ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!"

"Blake calm down" Reid said though he wasn't surprised that his friend would be disappointed he didn't think he'd be this upset.

"We're supposed to be bros!" Blake went on to say "and you're not even coming to my 21st birthday party!"

"Blake I just said we can hang sometime next week"

"Why?!?" he snapped back "so you give that retarded bitch a ride---"

"Don't you dare call Mina that" Reid cut off in a calm and firm tone "are you really this upset over this Blake it's not like I'm deliberately not coming Mina needs me"

"She always needs you!" Blake spat back "what is she a baby!?! I mean if you're not fucking her what the point of running to her every beck and call!"

"She's my friend!" Reid said "that's what friends do Blake they help each other"

"Some friend you are" Blake snorted "it's like this all the time with that girl!"

"You know Mina really likes you" Reid said "although I don't know why or how but she does"

"I don't like her" Blake snarled "sorry but I have standards for the girls I go after and they actually know how to talk and don't twitch all the time"

"Have fun driving home Miss Crazy I'll be partying with my real friends"

 

Everyone could sense the tension between Reid and Blake both on the football field and off. The two of them were the most popular and skilled players on the Huskies team so they were the entire buzz around campus. 

The word around campus was Blake was pissed at Reid for turning down his party to carpool Wilhelmina.

Wilhelmina heard this and felt responsible for this predicament she knew it was selfish to ask Reid to go out of his way for her. Reid had a thicker skin than she did because everyone talking about the issue didn't get to him; he still insisted on taking her home on Friday.

Did she ruin their friendship? This was all her fault but she knew and she wanted to make things right. Speak up for herself it's what Reid was always encouraging her to do and in order to fix this problem it was what she was going to do.

Wilhelmina knew she'd have to speak to Blake about this but she just hoped that she wouldn't stutter or twitch too much but her Tourettes was always severe whenever she was nervous or scared.

The minute she saw Blake out on the football field doing some laps around the track her heart skipped. She could do this and tried to remind herself that even though Blake was her crush he was still just simply another person and nothing more than that.

Blake caught her eye threw her a flashy grin "Well if isn't Miss Mina Porter"

"Hi Blake"

"And what can I do for you Miss Porter?"

Wilhelmina was confused because surly Blake wasn't flirting with her. Sure she had always dreamed about it but she didn't think it would actually happen.

"I was wondering if we could---" Wilhelmina bit her tongue when she felt a stutter coming on for the word talk; she was doing good so far and didn't want to mess things up.

"Wondering if we can what Mina?" Blake raised his eyebrows

"Talk" Wilhelmina replied as best as she could "I was wondering if we could talk for a minute"

"Oh I've got plenty of time to talk with you Mina"

Wilhelmina felt all tingly and giddy inside as Blake smiled at her again "Come on walk with me what do you want to talk about?"

"It's about Reid"

Blake was pretty amused right now listening to Wilhelmina explain how she felt bad about him being pissed with Reid when she knew that she was the reason for it. 

Jealously and envy rose up in Blake just listening to her talk made him even more annoyed that Reid stood up for her; as opposed to being his bro.

Now this stuttering bitch had the nerve to ask him to just take everything back and let his trader so called friend back to his party. What did Reid see in her anyway?

"...Anyway I know that you and Reid are b-b-best f-f-friends" Wilhelmina went on to say nervous now since she started stuttering "I don't w-w-want to get b-b-between you two"

"Funny" Blake replied "I'm afraid you are between us Mina and usually Reid takes your side so there isn't any surprise in that"

"I j-j-just want you to forgive Reid"

"Oh I'll forgive him alright" Blake replied "but it's also my birthday and I want something more"

"Oh" Wilhelmina said confused and a little surprised by his response

The two of them had stopped walking and now found themselves in front of the entrance to the locker room.

"I know you like me Mina"

"You do?"

"Everybody knows" Blake went on to say "you wear your heart on your shoulder practically and I can see it now"

Wilhelmina blushed now but she couldn't deny what Blake just said either and her heart skipped in Blake moved in closer to her

"It's my birthday Mina," he whispered "don't you want to make me happy?"

"I d-d-don't know what you mean" she said "I t-t-thought Reid c-c-coming to the p-p-party would make you happy"

"It will" Blake said as he cornered her into the wall "but don't you feel like you owe me something Mina? I feel that you do and it will work out just fine since you like me"

"What?" Wilhelmina now trembled as she watched Blake place both of his hands on the wall behind her

"Oh Mina I know you're not that naïve" Blake chuckled "I know you've probably thought of me fucking you before all shy girls like you have dirty thoughts"

"I think s-s-should g-g-go now" Wilhelmina stuttered nervous now as she began to twitch

"Don't be nervous" Blake said pinning his erection on her thighs "I'll be gentle Mina just like I am in your daydreams right?"

"Blake I d-d-don't want this" Wilhelmina said trying to make herself sound big when she only felt her voice being small.

"Of course you do Mina" Blake said wrapping his arms around her as he began to grope her inappropriately "I'll be so good you'll come back for more"

"NO!" Wilhelmina cried out now trying to wiggle free of Blake's grasp "L-L-LET ME G-G-GO BLAKE!"

"C'mon Mina don't fight it" Blake whispered in her ear as he began to drag her into the locker room "I know you want it"

"B-B-BLAKE PLEASE NO!"

Blake saw how much Wilhelmina was jerking and twitching about a clear sign from her Tourette's and the fact that she was scared. He knew that but still was going to get his just desserts. He was going to show her how he felt about constantly being shoved aside for her benefits.

Wilhelmina owed Blake and she was going to give him what he wanted. Blake continued to pull Wilhelmina into the locker room with him and locked the door behind them.

 

 

 

 

PROLOUGE CONTINUED by marchpisces92

PROLOUGE CONTINUED

Reid tried calling Wilhelmina's cell one more time. It was quarter to four and needless to say he was getting worried and Wilhelmina never missed her calls and it was almost quarter to four.

Reid had been parked outside of the Whitman Hall for about an hour now. It was a warm fall afternoon considering the fact that it was the end of November and from what he could see everyone was making their way over to the frat house for Blake's party.

Reid hoped that Blake would have a good time tonight despite their argument he'd be fine and would be a drunken mess anyway. Wilhelmina was more important right now and he wanted to make sure she got home.

Concern grew on Reid but he knew that he wasn't allowed in the Whitman Hall since it was one of the few women's dorms on campus.

"Reid!" a familiar voice called "there you are! I've been looking all over for you!"

Reid was surprised to see Lizzie Thompson running towards him

"Lizzie what is it---"

"Mina's at the hospital" she said her face red from tears falling down her face which alarmed him

"What's wrong?" Reid asked, "is she okay?"

"She's been raped"

 

"Reid slow down!" Lizzie said from the passenger side "we're almost at the hospital"

Reid was pretty sure he was driving above the speed limit but that wasn't his concern right now. Wilhelmina was.

"Who did this to her?" he demanded

"We don't know" Lizzie said "we found her walking around in circles outside of Whitman last night with her clothes ripped and she seemed to be mumbling to herself"

"It took a minute to calm her down" she went on to say, "when we asked who did it she refused to say"

"No" Reid said, "I need to know so I can rip this guy a new one"

"Easy" she said "Mina is traumatized enough already we don't want to scare her"

"You're right" Reid replied, "are the Porters coming?"

"Yes we contacted them and they're on the next train out here"

"I know you care about her Reid" Lizzie said understandingly "I know you care a lot"

"Yeah" he replied, "I do"

 

Reid was prepared to see Wilhelmina this afternoon. However he was prepared to see her happy with her suitcase and ready to go home to have a nice Thanksgiving. He wasn't expecting to be at the hospital. He wasn't expecting her to be in the hospital.

As soon as Lizzie and Reid entered the hospital room he was filled with rage and anger seeing Wilhelmina laying in the bed. The hospital staff had provided her a clean set of pajamas so she wasn't in her battered clothes. Her left arm was in a sling since the doctors were getting ready to put it in a cast.

So that son of a bitch not only raped her but he manhandled her so much that she got her arm broken? This guy obviously has a death wish.

"Hey Mina" Lizzie spoke up first "look who's with me"

"Reid" she whispered and it looked like she was ashamed "w-w-what are you doing here?"

"I'm here for you Mina" Reid said sincerely

"I'll leave you two alone," Lizzie said stepping out of the room

"W-w-where are my p-p-parents?"

"They'll be here I promise....Mina what happened?"

"N-n-nothing"

"Mina"

"It was n-n-nothing"

"Mina who did this to you?"

"I c-c-can't"

"Did he threaten you?"

Wilhelmina bit her lower lip and tears spilled down her round cheeks "I d-d-don't want to t-t-talk about it"

Reid took the seat next to her bedside and it hurt him to see her flinch away from him

"Wilhelmina...you know I would never hurt you that way right?"

"I k-k-know but what I was...I was..."

"You were what Mina?"

"I w-w-was saving myself for m-m-marriage" she admitted "w-w-who will want to m-m-marry me now?"

"Mina don't say that" Reid said "you're fine there's nothing wrong with you and you did nothing wrong"

"I s-s-shouldn't have went to the field---"

"Field?" Reid's ears perked up at this "what field? You mean the football field?"

Wilhelmina didn't say anything further but Reid wasn't going to let it slide

"Were you raped by one of guys on the team?"

"...."

"You can tell me Mina" Reid begged, "you can trust me"

"N-n-no" Wilhelmina stuttered and she was twitching now "I c-c-can't"

"Mina---"

"I d-d-don't want to t-t-talk about it a-a-anymore"

When Reid tried to move in to give her a hug she panicked "D-d-don't t-t-touch me!"

Reid immediately put his hands in the air to show her that he wasn't going to touch her any way or at all.

Wilhelmina began to cry again and judging by her red tired eyes she most have spent a whole day crying. Reid stayed with her until her parents came he greeted the Porters and they let him know that they'd get their daughter home. Meanwhile Reid had a bone to pick with his teammates.

 

"CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! WOO!"

Cheers were called out all around the frat house as Blake and some of the guys gulped down what seemed to be another Corona and to be more precise the sixth one in a row.

"21! Motherfuckas!" Blake cheered and everyone cheered back in response

"Finally legal to be the drunk like the jock you are!" Scott joked

"The whole team can celebrate now," Harvey added

Reid entered the frat house and as usual it reeked of booze and all sorts of alcohol

"Hey Reid you made it man" Allen said trying to give him a high five but he ignored him

"Dude what gives?"

Reid ignored Allen and made his way to the center of the room where Blake was with the guys he just took shots with. Blake smirked and said "Glad you could make it man told you being here would be more fun than driving Miss Stutter home---"

"Which one of you guys raped Mina?"

"Dude what?"

"You heard me" Reid repeated himself "which one of you fucking raped Wilhelmina Porter?"

"Reid what the hell is wrong with man?" Blake asked, "we're all in here having blast and you come in here killing the vibe with rape accusations"

"Well I'm not leaving until I find out"

"Blake's right Reid" Harvey said, "you're not being cool at all besides Mina is the last girl on campus any of us would touch"

"That doesn't mean anything" Reid said, "I can still see somebody in here manipulating her and taking advantage of her"

"How do you know any of us did it though?" Allen said, "I mean really Reid rape?"

"Mina is not a liar I know that"

Blake rolled his eyes and said "Shy girls are always freaky the bitch probably just freaked out when her cherry busted and cried raped"

Before anyone could move or say anything Reid slammed Blake hard against the wall and pinned him there.

"Dude what gives?"

"Did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Don't fucking play dumb with me Blake" Reid said scuffing up the collar of his shirt "did you rape her?"

"No" Blake said matter of factly almost laughing at his best friend's accusation "you know I can't stand her why would I put my dick anywhere near her?"

The thought of that made Reid's stomach flop and made him even more angry "If I find out you're lying---"

"I'm not bro" Blake said pushing Reid off of him "just relax grab a beer because man do you need one"

Reid looked around him and saw that Blake was partly right; everyone was staring at him like he was a madman. However Reid wasn't the least bit embarrassed in fact he didn't give a fuck all his concern was for Wilhelmina. Everybody went back to partying as he made his exit.

 

The remainder of the fall semester between Thanksgiving and Christmas was hard for Wilhelmina.  She kept to herself a lot even to a point where she stopped going to choir practice and attending the other activities that the campus church group had.

Her parents tried to get her to press charges and confess who raped her but Wilhelmina honestly didn't want to. Her parents contacted the school's dean pretty much everyday about the incident demanding answers. 

She wanted to forget but it was hard to since she saw Blake pretty much everyday and he would grin or smirk at her anytime they came across each other.

It was as if Blake knew he got away with what he did and he got a sick enjoyment out of letting her know so everyday. Needless to say the crush she used to have on him was no more. 

Wilhelmina still had three more semesters at Bloomsburg but she honestly didn't know if she could continue but at the same time was too scared to say anything about Blake.

Reid would also ask her about it as he checked up on her everyday practically escorting her to all of her classes. She felt bad for him because their peers were teasing him about it saying that Bloomsburg's wide receiver had fallen for the black girl with Tourette's.

When Wilhelmina told him this Reid's only response was "I could care less what they think Mina as long as you're okay and you know you can talk to me anytime"

It was sweet of him however Wilhelmina also knew that Reid had his fists mentally balled up and ready to use them if she ever mentioned who raped her.

Finals were coming up so Wilhelmina was stressed about that too. However it seemed she had another problem too. She was late almost two weeks late to be exact and Wilhelmina had never been late before; her period always showed up like clockwork.

She was always going to the bathroom now whether it was to pee or throw up and always feeling fatigue. Wilhelmina was scared and she didn't know what to do but feeling ashamed she didn't want to say anything either.

On the day of the first snowfall on a cold December Saturday morning before the week of finals at the tiny women's health clinic just outside of the campus the gynecologist confirmed her suspicions.

"Miss Porter you are indeed pregnant"

 

 

 

 

NINE MONTHS LATER by marchpisces92

NINE MONTHS LATER

Calvin Edward Washington who was born at three fifteen in the afternoon on Friday August 25th 2006 weighing in a ten pounds even was forty-eight hours old now.

It wasn't an easy birth since the little boy stubbornly had been breech so right in the middle of the delivery; Wilhelmina had to be rushed to have an emergency C-section. It was scary at first but both mother and baby were now doing fine.

From what the doctors were telling her Wilhelmina was relieved to hear that Calvin was healthy despite the scare he gave everyone. 

It was Sunday morning now and Wilhelmina was going to be released tomorrow afternoon and the Washingtons would be here to take little Calvin home with them.

As with all adoption processes whether open or closed the birth mother was allowed at least seventy-two hours with her child before signing the documents and surrendering all parental rights.

During this time Wilhelmina was allowed to bond with Calvin and make up her mind whether or not she wanted to raise him as her own. 

It was a difficult matter and as much as the Porters wanted their grandson to come home with them as well they supported their daughter's choice to give him up for adoption.

Martin and Joyce Washington were a wonderful black couple who had been struggling for years with infertility and had been seeking to adopt for a while now.

Wilhelmina felt in her heart that they would be very good parents to Calvin and he deserved just that.

The two of them came by the hospital yesterday to meet Calvin and they were so thrilled and excited to finally have a child of their very own.

Even though it would be an open adoption and the Porters would still have contact with Calvin it would still be bittersweet. 

Wilhelmina had just turned twenty-one years old two weeks prior and she still wanted to finish college and start her career as a journalist she didn't feel like she would be a good mother.

Too many doubts had ran through Wilhelmina's head through out her pregnancy. She couldn't bring herself to abort but she wasn't ready for motherhood.

What if her child had Tourette's like her? When she had mentioned this to the Washingtons as a possibility they did not seem to mind.

What if her child ended up looking like Blake? It was one of the huge factors that weighed on Wilhelmina's mind when she made the choice to put her baby up for adoption. Of course the child couldn't help his genetic make up but Wilhelmina wasn't sure how she'd be able to handle that if it turned out that way.

Calvin was already light as much black babies are at birth but with a white father Wilhelmina wasn't sure he'd get as milk chocolate as she was thus the possibility of him looking like Blake.

"You know Mina you're allowed to hold Calvin even when he doesn't need anything" her mother Lynn said

"I know Momma" she replied, "I j-j-just don't w-w-want to get a-a-attached"

"And I can see why" Lynn chuckled rocking the baby back and forth "this child is too precious I just want you to know that it's healthy mentally to bond with him too"

"Aren't you hungry sweet pea?" her father Gerald asked, "you hardly touched your breakfast and you love pancakes"

"I'm f-f-fine Daddy"

"Then what's bothering you?"

"I j-j-just feel so selfish" Wilhelmina confessed "I feel like I'm d-d-doing what's best for Calvin but s-s-sometimes I feel l-l-like I'm giving up on him"

"Oh no Mina" Lynn said "trust me when I say this is the most unselfish thing you can do and most of all your father and I just want you to be happy after all you've been through"

"He's y-y-your f-f-first grandchild"

"Yes we know" Gerald chuckled "that's why we're excited the adoption is open"

"Now that we can agree on" Lynn laughed too "besides Martin and Joyce is going to love this little boy to pieces"

Calvin whimpered indicating that he was hungry and Wilhelmina had his bottle ready. The nurses told her that breast-feeding would be okay as well but Wilhelmina decided it was best to put him on formula since she wouldn't be there to nurse him past Monday.

Plus breast-feeding felt too much like a mother and child connection and although she had given birth to him that didn't make her his mother. Joyce would be his real mother.

"Hungry little thing too" Gerald chuckled as Calvin suckled ravenously at the nipple of the bottle "though I do recall another little baby that was the same way"

The little sentimental moment made Wilhelmina smile a little making her feel better about the situation.

Calvin would be loved and that was the most important thing to remember and if Wilhelmina could keep that in mind she'd be able to get through tomorrow.

 

"Are you ready to sign the papers Miss Porter?" the social worker asked "have you made your final decision?"

"Y-y-yes I'm ready"

There were many people in the hospital room that afternoon. Gerald and Lynn Porter were there of course since Wilhelmina was being discharged and still healing from her C-section and would be taken home.

Two nurses and the social worker from the adoption agency. Martin and Joyce Washington who were ready to take Calvin home with them. Although they had agreed on an open adoption Wilhelmina would still be signing away all of her parental rights.

It was for the best. Calvin would have to stable parents who would love him and Wilhelmina could get her life back on track. However what really surprised Wilhelmina was how emotional she was once she finished signing all of the papers.

It was from post partum depression and that fact that she was realizing that this process was actually happening now. Tears flowed freely now and both Lynn and Joyce wrapped their arms around the young woman in comfort.

Lynn reassured her daughter that it would be okay while Joyce gave nothing but praises to her about how grateful she was and promises to love Calvin as if she had birthed him herself.

The Washingtons promised to send the Porters as many updates and pictures as possible and even suggested holiday visits as well.

"We'll make sure Calvin knows who you are" Joyce said "you're apart of our family now too"

"C-c-can I hold him?" Wilhelmina asked, "just one l-l-last time please?"

"Of course you can"

The Washingtons allowed Wilhelmina to have her final moments with Calvin and Gerald took pictures of everyone with the baby.

Taking Calvin in her arms Wilhelmina watched as the baby blinked his eyes and wiggled his tiny fingers in the air. Wilhelmina kissed those fingers as well as his cheeks, nose, and forehead.

"I love you Calvin Edward"

When the Washingtons left both Lynn and Gerald held Wilhelmina in their arms and she cried for what seemed like hours.

 

Although Wilhelmina didn't return to Bloomsburg University for her senior year she still kept in touch with Lizzie and Katrina from the campus church group and never lost touch with them.

However she did lose touch with Reid Stone and perhaps it was for the best; she wanted him to be able to live his life and pursue his professional football career without worrying about her all the time.

With losing contact with Reid she also wasn't in contact with Blake either which was certainly a good thing. Wilhelmina still had nightmares about what he did to her and it made her sick to think that she used to have a crush on him.

Wilhelmina wouldn't see neither Reid nor Blake again for another ten years.....

THE PERFECT OPPURTUNITY by marchpisces92

THE PERFECT OPPURTUNITY

August 5th 2016

Wilhelmina Porter was bushed. Another long workday but at least she could say she did an honest day's work. Entering her apartment she was greeted by her orange tabby that meowed and purred longing for her attention.

"Hello to you too Corduroy" she smiled "thank goodness it's Friday"

The cat meowed again in agreement the two of them spent most of their Friday nights snuggled up on the couch together with the television or a good book.

"Okay Cordy" she chuckled "l-l-let me g-g-go through the mail first"

Corduroy settled himself back to his favorite spot near the window to sunbathe once more and she just shook her head at him. She loved that cat and she honestly didn't know what she would do without him.

Corduroy had been a graduation present from her parents as well as a home warming present for moving out. Moving from Philadelphia to Pittsburg meant moving from one side of Pennsylvania to the other side Lynn didn't want her daughter to be lonely so the young cat was fulfilling his purpose for sure.

Wilhelmina was thirty-one years old now and despite having two degrees under her belt including journalism and sociology she still found herself struggling to land a permanent position.

She worked as a bank teller full time for the benefit of a steady income and health insurance. Cat food, kitty litter, and vet visits weren't exactly cheap for Corduroy either.

Still wanting to get her foot in the door Wilhelmina did a lot of freelancing writing articles and think pieces for different news sites and blogs. So that pretty much took up all of her Saturdays and Sundays after church.

Her college friends from Bloomsburg Lizzie and Katrina tried to get Wilhelmina to hang out but most of the time she turned it down. They even tried to set her up with some of the guys at they knew from work or church.

Katrina Matthews or rather Katrina Spencer now had gotten married three years ago and was now expecting her first child while Lizzie Thompson was currently engaged and would be getting married in November.

Wilhelmina was happy for both of them and she knew that her friends wanted her to be happy too but she was content with where she was in life right now. 

It didn't bother her that she was now in her early thirties and single and she didn't find it depressing although most women would be freaking out about their biological clock and if they were still attractive.

Wilhelmina had promised to meet both of her friends for their monthly Saturday brunch in a few weeks to catch up on the details for Lizzie's wedding and do another bridesmaid dress fitting for Katrina.

Corduroy meowed to see if Wilhelmina was ready and she chuckled.

"A-a-almost Cordy okay boy"

The mail was the usual just bills and bills and more bills. Student loans included of course Wilhelmina wouldn't be surprised if she'd be paying off student loans till the day she died.

However there were two things in the mail that stood out to Wilhelmina. The first one she recognized immediately. It was from the Washington's and her heart leapt in excitement because she knew that it was an update about Calvin.

It was hard for her to believe that the son she gave up for adoption would be ten years old in less than three weeks. Wilhelmina already had his birthday presents together to send in the mail as she did every year and for Christmas as well.

Since Calvin was a bit older now he understood who Wilhelmina was and why she was special to him and Joyce even let him write letters to her as well. Calvin referred to her as Mina Mom since he rightfully called Joyce Mom; it made Wilhelmina feel special even though she wasn't raising him she still gave him life.

Wilhelmina sat down to read the letter and she was impressed at the level of penmanship that most boys Calvin's age didn't have.

 

Dear Mina Mom,

My birthday is coming up and I'm going to be ten years old and I'll finally have two digits in my age just like the rest of my class. I'm going to fourth grade too. Dad is taking me and two of my friends from class to Wild Water Kingdom for my birthday. It's going to be really fun.

I want to play football when school starts but Dad says I have to weigh enough first. I hope I do because I didn't last year and I really want to play. I want to play in the NFL when I'm grown up and I'm going to. Can you, Grammy, and Pop come visit soon since Mom says it's almost time. Did Cordy like the cat bowl I sent him?

Love, Calvin

 

It was definitely written from the perspective a boy turning ten since he was so excited he wrote jumping from one topic to another. 

It was sweet and Wilhelmina appreciated it so she would definitely have to call and arrange a date to visit; every time she saw Calvin he was bigger and bigger. No doubt Gerald and Lynn wanted to see their grandson as well.

Yes Calvin certainly was growing up and Wilhelmina noted his interest in football and his desire to one day play in the NFL. Football and the fact that Calvin looked like a butterscotch replica of Blake was a bit of coincidence to her.

It wasn't fair to judge Calvin on his interest in football since most boys his age loved sports and aspire to be athletes and for all she knew he could be very talented.

However Wilhelmina just wished she didn't have to think of Blake every time she thought of Calvin. Brushing those thoughts aside she made a mental note to call the Washingtons this weekend to see when she and her parents could visit. She couldn't wait to see them again.

Putting the letter from the Washingtons aside; Wilhelmina proceeded to open the envelope that was addressed to her from Pittsburg magazine. It happened to be a letter from the editor.


Miss Porter,

We are reaching out to you to see if you would interested in being one of our journalists covering the Steelers this season. We are very certain that we will make it past the playoffs to play in the super bowl. 

We have seen your freelance work on different websites and like your style of writing and think that it will be perfect covering the events of the season. Please let us know if you accept training camp is currently underway and the first game of the season will be September 12th

Sincerely, Cindy Lash Editor

 

Wilhelmina read the letter one more time to make sure she wasn't seeing things.

It was true they wanted her work for the magazine this was quite the Friday evening for sure. This could be a huge turn in her career and she was certainly going to take it into consideration. Things looked like they were finally coming together.

 

 

"Mina Mom!"

"Calvin!" Wilhelmina smiled as she wrapped her arms around her son "you're g-g-getting so big!"

The boy smiled and hugged Gerald and Lynn as well. Wilhelmina greeted Martin and Joyce and all of them joined together in the backyard for lunch.

"So Mister Ten Years Old" Lynn beamed "how are you doing? School starts up again soon huh?"

"Yes Grammy" he said, "I can't w-w-wait to see all my friends again"

"How do the k-k-kids in school t-t-treat you?" Wilhelmina asked concerned since Calvin inherited her Tourette's and knew how cruel kids can be

"Okay" he replied "I d-d-don't let them b-b-bother me"

"Well that's good" Lynn reassured "nobody messes with my grandson or I'll have to march up to that school myself"

Calvin giggled as Lynn kissed him on the forehead

"Actually Calvin is quite the social butterfly" Joyce said "and a bit of a class clown"

"Is that so?" Gerald asked chuckling

"Sure is" Martin chimed in "teachers call on more than one occasion to tell us about what mischief he causes"

Wilhelmina was proud of Calvin since when she was his age she was rather shy and reserved because of her Tourette's while he managed to overcome that. The only friend that she had who looked past that was Reid....

"So Calvin" Gerald said, "your dad says you want to play football"

"Yeah I'm g-g-going to be on the t-t-team at s-s-school this year"

"Really?"

"Yup!"

"Why don't we show your grandpa what you're made of Cal?" Martin said

"Okay!"

The men went out onto the freshly cut lawn and began to toss around the old pigskin and Wilhelmina was impressed with Calvin's skills; it was definitely another thing he inherited from Blake.

"So how are things going for you Mina?" Joyce asked, "any luck getting any journalism work?"

"Well..."

"Actually yes" Lynn spoke up for her modest daughter "Mina has been offered a job from Pittsburg Magazine to write for the Steelers this season"

"Oh that's wonderful!" Joyce replied, "you must be excited you know Martin and Calvin love the Steelers"

"Thanks" she replied, "I h-h-haven't taken the j-j-job officially yet"

"You should go for it" Joyce encouraged "Mina this could be a big opportunity for you"

"That's exactly what I was telling her," Lynn added "Calvin come here for a minute sweetie"

"Momma---"

"Yes Grammy?" Calvin ran over to them again with the football tucked under his arm

"Your Mina Mom is going to be writing for the Pittsburg Steelers what do you think of that?"

Calvin's eyes grew big with excitement "You are?"

"I'm not s-s-saying for s-s-sure yet----"

"You should!" Calvin exclaimed, "the Steelers are a-a-awesome! They're my f-f-favorite team"

"They are?" Wilhelmina couldn't help but smile at her son's excitement

"Yeah!" he went on to say "Dad and I w-w-watch all t-t-their games they almost made the p-p-playoffs l-l-last season"

"Do you have any favorite players?" Gerald asked

"A lot" Calvin said "there's r-r-running back Harvey Welch, h-h-half back Scott Wheeler, and w-w-wide receiver Reid Stone he's really g-g-good too"

Wilhelmina's ears perked up at this. Could it be her childhood church friend Reid Broderick Stone? It wasn't the most common name but she knew that Reid's dreams to play professional football were as big as the blue sky. If it was him then she was certainly happy for him.

Harvey and Scott's names sounded familiar too and it sounded like there were a lot of Bloomsburg alumni on the team

"But my m-m-most favorite p-p-player is Blake McCarthy"

"Who's your favorite p-p-player again Cal?"

"Blake McCarthy" Calvin repeated "he's t-t-their quarterback I w-w-want to be a quarterback like him s-s-someday he's so a-a-awesome"

A chill that Wilhelmina hadn't felt in over ten years ran down her spine. Blake played for the Steelers too?

Calvin was innocent in this whole situation but Wilhelmina just couldn't stomach that he admired Blake. 

Calvin looked up to him as a football hero without even knowing that he was his biological father. Of course not even her parents because she was too ashamed to say anything.

Now it looked like her past was coming back to haunt her.

"Mina Mom if you w-w-write for them could you g-g-get Blake's a-a-autograph for me?" Calvin asked innocently

"I'll um s-s-see if I can Calvin" was all Wilhelmina could say and the boy hugged her

"This is s-s-so exciting"

Calvin went back to tossing the football around with his father and grandfather and Wilhelmina watched them while trying to catch up with what Joyce and her mother were talking about now.

Wilhelmina couldn't say for sure if it was exciting but it certainly was interesting and ironic for sure.

 

 

 

 

 

 

OLD FRIENDS REUNITE by marchpisces92

OLD FRIENDS REUNITE

August 22nd 2016

Thirty-two-year-old Reid Stone made his way out onto the field for another day of training. It was hot and humid but he was looking forward to a new season. Another season meant another chance to make the playoffs, which they only lost by a hair last season.

As childish and cliché as it sounded Reid wanted to win at least one Superbowl in his professional career. He had been playing for the Steelers for about ten years now and had a feeling that this would be the season that they would finally do so.

"And once you win this Superbowl are you going to finally settle down and give me some grandchildren?" his mother Charlotte teased him very often. Reid knew his mother was proud of him but now that it seemed like he was still a bachelor in his early thirties.

Reid had a few girlfriends but they never seemed to be interested in his passion and love for football so needless to say those relationships were short lived. Besides Reid often found himself wondering whatever happened to Wilhelmina all those years after she left Bloomsburg.

His heart sunk because he never found the bastard that raped her and that asshole probably went on to graduate and live a successful life anyway. For the past ten years there wasn't a day that went by that Reid didn't think of Wilhelmina. Not only did she drop out of Bloomsburg but the Porters just moved from their hometown omitting their membership at their church as well.

Reid hoped that life was treating her well although it was hard to say. They were in college the last time he saw her and now they were in the real world he knew that things weren't easy for a black woman with Tourette's. However he had a feeling that she was beating all odds anyway.

"Hey Reid how it's going?" Harvey Welch greeted fellow alumni from Bloomsburg who also made the team

"How are you doing this morning Harvey?"

"Good" Harvey replied "a bit tired from last night though Blake sure knows how to throw one hell of a party huh?"

"Yeah" Reid agreed, "that would explain why he's late"

Blake McCarthy, thirty-one the cocky quarterback of the Steelers. It was probably the third or fourth party he had this week. Reid hoped that his friend would start maturing there was nothing wrong with partying every once and a while but they weren't college kids anymore. 

Truth be told Reid didn't really see Blake as the marrying type or the family man so perhaps he was comfortable in the carefree bachelor life.

"Speak of the devil there he is right now" Harvey chuckled as Blake made his way onto the field too.

"You alright Blake?" Scott chuckled "damn you never get any headaches from your hangovers huh?"

"You know me fellas" he smirked "alcohol is in my blood the only thing I was missing last night was some pussy speaking of which have you seen the freshman cheerleaders we have this season"

"Damn Blake" Allen spoke up "most of them just turned eighteen at go for the ones that have been a legal adult for more than one year"

"You guys aren't any fun" Blake rolled his eyes laughing, "don't you know eighteen year old virgins are the best?"

Reid really hoped Blake was joking since he was known for his dark twisted sense of humor but some of the things he said were just downright crude.

What made matters worse was that Blake had a lot of young boys who were fans of his and looked up to him but this was the way he carried himself.

"Alright boys huddle in!" Coach Tomlin said as he made his way on the field

"Something wrong Coach?" Jeff asked "we're still having training today right?"

Coach Mike Tomlin laughed "Of course we're still having training the sooner we get done for today the sooner we can get out of the heat"

"Miss Cindy Lash of the Pittsburg Magazine and her guest have announcement to make first" Coach Tomlin said.

Reid had to do both a double and a triple take to make sure that he was sure. The woman who was with Cindy Lash looked pretty familiar

"Good morning boys!" Cindy greeted "you all ready for a good season!"

The players cheered and Cindy smiled while the woman with her looked a little surprised but gave a soft smile. The smile looked familiar too.

"Now I know that the Superbowl was just at the tip of your fingers last season but we certainly do believe that this will be the season that it's yours"

"We at Pittsburg Magazine want to be able to cover every single moment and we've hired the best journalist that we could find" Cindy went on to say "and I'll allow her to introduce herself now"

A blush rose under the woman's honey brown cheeks and Reid knew for a fact that he had seen the blush many, many, times before.

"Hello" the woman greeted in a soft gentle voice "my n-n-name is Wilhelmina Porter b-b-but most people call me Mina"

It was her even before she said her name Reid knew it was her because of the Tourette's

His Mina was back

"I'm very t-t-thankful for t-t-this opportunity and I p-p-promise to use my w-w-writing to put you all in a p-p-positive light and I'm l-l-looking forward to getting to k-k-know all of you" she said "believe it or not t-t-this is my first major j-j-journalist job"

"I a-a-apologize in advance about my c-c-constant stutter" Wilhelmina went on to say "I have Tourette's and it's s-s-something that I r-r-really c-c-can't c-c-control"

"Well we're very happy to have you with us this season Miss Porter" Coach Tomlin said "you're more than welcome to sit in and watch practice today"

"Thanks"

"Alright fellas let's get started"

Reid followed the rest of his teammates onto the field but he had managed to lock eyes with Wilhelmina for a minute and he knew that she recognized him just as much as he had recognized her.

 

"Is she still out there?" Blake asked some of his teammates after practice in the locker room

"Yeah it looks like she's organizing all of her papers" Scott said "she looks just like she did when we were in college like she hasn't aged a day"

"And still as retarded as ever" Blake said, "she still stutters how the hell did she become a journalist? they could have hired somebody else"

"Really Blake?" Reid said already annoyed "would you grow up already you know Mina has Tourette's and you knew that in college too"

"Oh my bad I forgot you two are friends" Blake smirked "no offense to your little friend but my taste in women include those who can actually talk"

Reid frowned and Blake laughed slapping him on the shoulder

"I'm just fucking with you man but seriously I don't know what you see in her"

"A whole lot more than you can see" Reid said as he gathered his gym bag and exited the locker room.

"Come on Reid it was a joke man!"

Reid made his way over to the stands to where Wilhelmina was seated and Blake watched frowning. What was that bitch really here for? He was hoping that Wilhelmina wasn't going to come between them once again but it sure as hell looked like it.

 

Wilhelmina managed to scribble notes pretty much all over the place in just one practice. She had a lot of verbs and adjectives to describe the team and even doodles for the graphic designer to use once it was published in three weeks time.

Wilhelmina managed to still have her overachieving trait that she had developed in college and perhaps she was over doing it but she really wanted to make a good impression.

It was a little windy and one of her sheets of paper blew from her grasp luckily her friend that she hadn't seen in over a decade caught it for her.

"Whoa we wouldn't want one of these getting away would we?"

"Reid"

Wilhelmina always knew that Reid was handsome but since she hadn't seen him in ten years he was like a tall glass of cold water. He seemed to be aging pretty well and given his career he obviously kept himself fit and in shape. The boyish grin was still the same.

Wilhelmina swore she felt butterflies take flight when Reid sat down next to her, which surprised her since she never felt that way about Reid before. He was her friend.

"How have you been?" he asked "I really missed you Mina"

"Good" she said simply "I m-m-missed you too I s-s-see life has treated you well Mr. Stone"

"I can say the same for you too Miss Porter" Reid chuckled "so this is really your first journalist job?"

"It is" Wilhelmina admitted "when the market c-c-crashed it was h-h-hard I s-s-still work f-f-full time as a b-b-banker too"

"At least you're not giving up"

"True but t-t-that's because I love it too much"

Reid smiled but he had to ask, "Mina are you okay?"

"Y-y-yes I'm fine"

"You know what I mean"

Perhaps it was selfish on his part to ask her that but Reid really needed to know. The last time Reid saw Wilhelmina she had been in such a vulnerable state given what happened to her. If Reid could turn back time he would have given Wilhelmina a ride home on the same day he asked her.

It was obvious a can of worms had been open as Reid saw a sad look briefly flash across her face

"Mina?"

"It's o-o-okay Reid I'm f-f-fine really"

She didn't sound convincing but Reid figured not to push it any further at least not right now. A few rain drops began to fall which wasn't surprising since it had been a hot day.

"I g-g-guess we should g-g-get going" Wilhelmina said "it looks like it's g-g-going to

p-p-pour"

"Hey you want to grab some dinner?" Reid asked still wanting to catch up with her "I know a great diner in town has the best burgers with every topping you can imagine, sea salt french fries, and hand spun milkshakes"

"T-t-that sounds g-g-good but I don't know"

"It's on me" he insisted "I haven't seen you in ten years Mina let me show you a good time"

"O-o-okay but t-t-this isn't a date is it?" Wilhelmina asked she wasn't ready for something like that right now

"Just two friends grabbing dinner"

Wilhelmina looked at the smile that Reid gave her and she couldn't say no to that and she realized how much she really did how much miss him.

She wished she could tell him the truth. She wished she could tell him about her sweet son Calvin. She wished she could tell him about Blake.

 

 

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3512