Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So. I really needed to get this out. Excuse errors please.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

      The four adults stood around the underground room each very aware of the others' presence. Niamh felt a gurgling in the pit of her stomach which she could not suppress. The monitors lining the room had her completely surrounded and laid the big burden of being an all seeing eye as she watched the unknowing subjects pass by each screen. Some were employees she recognized in the most private settings-homes, in their cars.

         The invasion was so real...so raw that authenticity seemed to be absent to her at the time. It was beyond her thinking to believe that she was seeing them all go on about the life The Family instructed for them.

 

       " Can you turn these things off Joseph? I don't want to see this." She swallowed the cotton feel down her throat. She faced the men, finding two watching her and the other watching the same screens that she refused to look at.

 

     " I can't do that. I must keep an eye on them out of safety-"

 

    " How safe do you think they feel with you cooped up in a basement watching them? " Niamh blurted.

 

    " It's necessary Niamh. I promise you it is. If it wasn't me, then there would be no one who actually cared for their well being in some way. It's the least I could do."

 

     The space between her brows became sore behind her skull as she held the extent of the intensity in the room there. The one man who she was the least familiar with stepped silently along the walls of the room. His larynx visibly bobbed along his neck while he processed what was before him.

 

     Some of the sweetest information lied before him, enough to send him into a coma. Paul's hand itched to reach into his pocket and make the one call which would not only solidify his standing in his unit, but redeem himself in his boss's view of him.

 

      " What's a threat to them exactly?" Niamh eyed Paul." You have men like him carrying about..."

 

     " Don't speak just yet dad." Blaise held his hand up halting his father as he looked unwavering onto Paul.

 

     " The only two conclusions that I can come to regarding you are both unsatisfying.Justin...." Blaise planted himself close to the other man, studying him closely.  Sure Blaise was most definitely overwhelmed with his life, but that didn't mean that he would began constructing order of it immediately. Everyone had a lane to stay in as far as he was concerned. To place Justin - or who he was led to believe was Justin-where he needed to be in Blaise's psych,  it was vital to know how.

 

     " Humor me please. Who do you work for?"

 

    Paul kept his back to Blaise, hardening as he felt the internal pull stopping him from executing his authoritative right to do as he saw fit to insure he followed along with his agenda. In this instant, he could eliminate the Kincaids. It could all end here.

 

    Paul's conscious worked against him. He knew the Kincaids were not vindictive people, seeking to rule the world for whatever reason. No, that vengefulness had never been present in the near year he had spent with them.

 

     They each hand their hands in Daniel's work. How many strings, how much lying would he have to do to keep them from going down also? Paul was a respectable member of the force, but he'd be a fool to assume his power went that far.

 

      "Blaise, I believe it's best we leave some things unsaid...for now." Joseph reined his son in by his shoulder, his stony gaze never leaving from Paul.

 

    He knew.

 

     Words weren't necessary. Explanations, or names. Joseph wasn't quite sure how an outsider could have made it in to the business. Who would have suspected a janitor? Honestly, it was a frequently overlooked position which in their case happened to be beyond important. If only Daniel knew...

 

     Daniel has no control, Joseph tried to convince himself. Looking from the box of protective technology to his son and Niamh, his confidence in this belief strengthened. Joseph helped to build Daniel, and he would help to take him down.  The young man who had just become a potential ally teetered along the lines of friend or foe for the suspecting elder.

       How much trust could he place in the stranger? He thought he had made an acquaintance with the young man, but the obvious truth in his identity being false, it was a hard thing for him to keep hold on.

 

      " I'm sure we all would prefer to get started. No one in this room can wander out at this point is that understood? By each of us? You've seen the world I've kept to myself alone all of these years. I cannot allow for it to be seen even for a second without knowing that person will not act on their own upon any plan without my knowing."

 

    "Is that understood?" When there had been no response, Joseph sharpened his voice, receiving tight nods across the room. His eyes connected with Paul's. Paul realized that once again he would be taking the back seat to another's orders.This time differed in the certain outcome he would achieve which made it bittersweet.

 

      " Come with me." Pulling his cell phone from his pocket, Joseph locked the premises, setting the alarms to be triggered, now more aware and alert than before. His brown booted feet pounded against the flooring as he lead the group to an opposite corner of the room. There were no seats available to accommodate the others, so standing would have to suffice.

 

      "Our priority here is to throw a wrench into Daniel's wheels. He's a very determined influential man. Companies have sought protection under him in payment for him making use of what they had to offer. Television stations, radio stations, cynical people who have made the mistake to place their trust in the one person who will not uphold anything he has promised them. He will only...only seek to fulfill the promises he has made himself. With every fiber of my being, I believe he is capable of not letting himself down."

 

      "What does he want exactly?" Niamh spoke from her stance.

 

      " Money. Power. It's a universal desire among those who think like him. This is a path which has never been used before. I remember the many nights we sat over viewing international leaders of organizations similar to The Family. Wars never worked to the initiators advantage-bloodshed isn't what he wants. If anything, Daniel wants to preserve as many lives as possible.He doesn't wish for intentional killings of the innocent, but there is no way that he hasn't considered that a possibility."

 

        " He's a privileged asshole who still wants more." Niamh scoffed. Her blood ran cold-the same blood Daniel possessed. How is it that she has never had crazed tendencies? Genetically, shouldn't she have some warped view of the world and what it owed her?

 

     " That he is. Niamh, how much are you willing to commit to this?"

 

      " Not my neck." As far as she was concerned, she hadn't kissed this man's ass for half of her life to only be thrown out on her ass like Joseph...to fend for himself. In the car she could have said she was all for murdering what Daniel stood for. Her mind began doing flip flops in her confusion of exactly what she should do.

 

     " Look, I have my own reasons to be after Daniel."

 

    " I understand that Niamh, but what you must do cannot be ignored.  He's aiming for complete takeover of the country, it won't just be you being affected; It won't just be us anymore.  Could you live with that?"

 

    " I was living pretty fine until-" Niamh stopped her words. She wasn't selfish like that. That's not who she was. But also, she wasn't some superhero waiting to step out on the scene flaunting the cloak of justice or crap like that. " Joseph, what do you want from me?"

 

     " Be our way in."

 

     All eyes landed on Niamh.

 

    " He wouldn't be that idiotic."

 

     " Yes he would."

 

     " Joseph. He could smell the bullshit from an ocean away. That's a pretty farfetched plan."

 

     " You'd be surprised. He knows you're his daughter, it didn't take him long to realize. That connection is our key."

 

    " Daniel Saslow's daughter? Right here?" Paul interrupted halting Joseph. Daniel's only documented children were named Matthew and Darla, not Niamh.

 

    " Imagine that. His ego couldn't resist from knowing the child he threw away found her way to him... asking to be a part of his plans. Niamh, my dear, you are not under qualified either. Your credentials are astounding."

 

    " That's a lie. I've sat aside for the entire beginning, of what should have been my career, waiting to be accepted by you. There's no experience at all. His suspicions would be high just from that alone. Then add in the fact he figures I do not know who he really is and times that by the automatic mutual distrust of each other and..."

 

     " Niamh I was barely through college before he scouted me. I can say with certainty, he molded me into what I have become. He was in no way worried that I was just some kid aspiring to build a few structures for awhile. That hadn't mattered. He'd believe that his expertise must have passed on to you Niamh-that's why he hasn't looked to Matthew or Darla for anything. He can see when you have it. They didn't happen to have it. Imagine. Just imagine how easily he would hook into this."

 

    The threatening lump in her throat wouldn't be forced down . " It sounds like you're underestimating him."

 

     " I was his confidante for two decades Niamh."

 

    " If you were of such status, why would he be so fast to drop you? Leave you alive?"

 

     "It's-"

 

      " No, seriously speaking here...why would he spare you?"

 

    " Niamh. Niamh-Hey!" Blaise said sternly. He had never thought of what she was saying, and suddenly even more wasn't sitting right with him.

 

    " I don't fear him-it-any more dear. I'd be a fool, an absolute fool, to assume that I could live out the rest of my life."

 

    "Dad, stop talking so recklessly, alright? Nothing like that would happen, do you both hear me?"

 

    " It's nothing I would hope you want to hear Blaise, but it's reality."

 

    The slight panic Niamh felt disappeared after she stepped down on it. Her eyes searched the face of her mentor, having the feeling of dread of his death peeking through. She could be as angry and disgusted with him as she wanted, but it would never call for his death. Was she jumping ahead of herself?  The steam rolling off of Blaise in waves surrounded her. She had frightened the man. It wasn't her intention. The unadulterated fear of losing a parent was pasted on his face.

 

     " I don't know what I was saying. It's my imagination...my...my mind. You said Daniel wasn't into those kind of things right? "

 

       The rumors which flew around Daniel of the rare disappearance of employees or any other obstacles in the way of The Family crossed his mind.He knew them to be all true.

 

    " Yes. That's what I had said. I understand the fear Niamh...it's the nerves talking. Nothing will happen to any of us. At all." His pointed gaze settled on his son's especially. He may have doused the ire in Blaise, but it hadn't been completely put out.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

      After hours of briefing, the group sat on the cold ground floor exhausted from the mental strain they were placed in.

 

     Niamh's eyes nearly filled with tears at what was asked of her.

 

    Paul's stomach did insane flips from the rush.

 

   All of his childhood memories laid before him ,mutilated ,as Blaise read the papers in his hands.

 

   " There's so much he's involved in Joseph. It's a huge responsibility you're asking of me."

 

   " You of all people can carry it out Niamh." It would take extensive devising to draw up a decent outline of getting into Daniel.

 

     " Like I've said, I'm completely prepared to iron out anything that needs it." Paul stated calmly.

 

     Niamh's dark eyes roved what was before her coming in contact with Paul's. Where he fit into their equation had yet to reach her. He was just some friend of Blaise's whom she hadn't seen but a few times before.

 

   What lied on the surface was what she couldn't bypass. He had an air about him; All of the background information he gave of his experience seemed to over qualify him for mopping floors.

 

    Paul's senses took notice of Niamh's changing attitude towards him. He could tell that before she had not paid him much mind, but just like Joseph, he could gage their knowing or hint of.

 

   " Is there something wrong?" His deep voice spoke personally to Niamh.

 

    Her arms laid lax in her lap as she stared him down. Taking in a quick breath, she narrowed her eyes and moved forward, close enough for her knees to invade his space.

 

     " It's obvious you aren't who you say you are. When are you going to tell your real name?"

 

     Paul's icy gaze did not change as he watched her carefully. The eyes she pierced him with were just as judging as Daniel's had been the day of their unlucky run in.

 

     " You know it, Niamh. " His words were airy as the muscles in his face barely moved.

 

      "Is there really a need to lie from here on out?" She leaned closer.

 

     "Is this really a big issue for you?" He answered back.

 

     " In case there ever comes a situation where I need to call on you, yes."

 

    " It wouldn't be that hard to find me."

 

     " You could be a snake."

 

     " Hmm. Are you letting the pressure get to you dear? You sound paranoid." Clicking his tongue lightly, Paul shook his head mockingly.

 

     " Niamh, let's get you some air." Blaise had watched the scene between the two unfold. He wouldn't settle for taunting of Niamh at all.

     As if recollecting herself, Niamh backed further away from Paul.

 

    " No, I can't right now." She gathered a tub of files into her arms and pushed up onto both legs." I need to familiarize myself with everything." She lugged the large plastic container into her arms securing it.

 

    " You don't mean to tell me that with all of these computer in here, you don't have this stuff saved electronically Joseph?"

 

     " It's always nice to have a backup. Those drives can't always be trusted." Spoke Paul from the floor. Niamh slowly cut her eyes to him.

 

     " He's correct Niamh. I'm not so comfortable with a system that can so easily be hacked, taken over, or shut down." Joseph added lightly.

 

     Nodding her head in understanding, Niamh walked to a nearby cleared table setting down the tub. She placed the lid on to it with a sigh while reaching for another untouched container. A larger hand shadowed hers, clasping it onto the table top. Blaise laid his head into the crook of her neck, kissing the tension there.

 

     Her neck was as warm as the hand he held which was unusual for her. He could sense the quivering running through her body as she stood.

 

      " I think I need some water."

 

     " I think you need more. We won't be hopping on this within the next hour or anything Nia. You're over doing yourself." He wanted to take her home to allow her to do whatever she needed to release her feelings if nothing else.

 

      " It will pop up out of nowhere if I try to distract myself now." She insisted.

       " You'll exhaust yourself. I can feel it on your face already, you're burning up."

 

      " It's just warm down here."

 

       Blaise's eyes narrowed at her in confusion as he felt the breeze of a fan hitting his face.

 

      " Dad, we're leaving. I think she's had her fill for the day."

 

    " No Blaise. I'm staying, if you're ready you can leave. That's fine."

 

      Blaise shook his head in finality, taking hold of her hand, wrapping his fingers with hers." Please don't fight me on this. You're literally making yourself sick."

 

     Niamh's forehead touched his shoulder. She had no true energy to speak anymore. She felt an urgency to run towards the work she needed to put in, but also to flee from it. Allowing Blaise to take the lead, she raised her arm to her eyes, the time on her watch read well past 11 pm.

 

     " It looks like you've aged ten years Niamh dear."

 

    " That is in no way comforting." Even though she barely had any humor, she laughed at Joseph.

 

     His arms reached to her, pulling her into what she could assume was a fatherly embrace.

 

       "I'm pulling for you, but you do need to go at your own risk. I'm not rushing you okay?"

 

      " I understand."

 

     " Glad to know you'll listen to someone." Blaise said. He gingerly pulled Niamh to his side.

 

      " I'll see you later Dad. " His voice didn't waver over addressing Paul. The minor comb over of his presence sent a wave of a feeling akin to hurt to Paul's psych. The aggressive charge he had taken when he was first discovered upstairs had not changed. In fact, while they came together under a mutual understanding while doing the first steps of their research, Paul could feel the weight of Blaise's stare upon him. As if possible, it became even more suffocating as he exchanged words with Niamh.

 

    " Too bad we couldn't get those drinks tonight, huh?"

 

   " I don't even really drink anyways so...." Blaise spoke indifferently. " Are you going to be doing this the rest of the night?" He asked Joseph.

 

     " I've got a lot of things to smooth out, yes."

 

    " Over working ourselves won't benefit it shaking Daniel up."

 

    " I don't plan to just shake him son. I'm putting my all into this. Just make sure you watch after Niamh okay? Not me."

 

     " That's selfish of you to say. Of course I'll be staking out for you too." The sentimental moment between father and son went undisturbed. The thought that Blaise would wipe his hands of his father seemed to run rampant in Joseph's talk. He didn't want Blaise to have sympathy or compassion for him. Such impersonal feelings were impossible for Blaise to have towards the only parent he had.

 

    " I'd really rather stay here a bit longer." Niamh insisted one last time. The headiness from what she was being put through clouded her judgment.

 

     "You're not breaking down on me. Let's go for real this time."

     The pull from Blaise guided Niamh upstairs and all the way to passenger seat of his car in a blink of the eye. Everything passed by her without fully registering, Niamh felt herself check out. If she wanted to squeeze her way into The Family, she knew she would have to lose who she was.

 

Oooooooooooooooooo

 

    " Let me undress you." Blaise turned to the sound of Niamh's voice from a far. They had come to his home, their bodies heavy from exhaustion. He had watched as Niamh went through the motions of drinking five glasses of water since they first walked in the door. When he asked, she mumbled something about cotton mouth. The last place he had seen her was sitting on the living room couch, eyes closed in the dark.

 

     It hadn't been long since left to his room. He stopped reaching for his shirt. Turning her way, he waited as her dark figure walked.

 

     Her fingers ghosted over his shoulders. Past his elbows. There was an eerie look of peacefulness somberly resting on her face.

 

    "Niamh?"

 

    " You know, I have very morbid predictions for my life." She unbuttoned his shirt in one sweep, letting it float onto the bed.

 

      " I would think of being in some horrible car accident. Going out with the wrong guy. Those were much more comforting than what I think now. Now, it all comes back to collapsing to my knees...no warning or anything at all. I can see those last moments that show all in one second, you know? I can see them now, but I don't believe I would be able to see them when I would most expect. They aren't fitting right. " Niamh shook her head as her hands slid the zipper of his pants down, allowing them to pool around his feet . She held his hands as he stepped from them.

 

      " I've been thinking just recently. And I mean recently, literally in the last few hours.What if what I see, or feel is about to happen isn't really me dying? In the physical sense, where I no longer exist in this world. I don't have the cleanest slate , I admit.It's down right filthy, hasn't been cared for in years."

 

     Blaise repeated the same actions she had taken with him, stripping her to her underwear. He chose not to speak because of the concentration displayed on her face. He didn't want to break it.

 

    " Nothing has gone the way I want right? The souring of everything with my mom...meeting my actual father. They're things I never would have imagined or wanted. To me, it feels like everything is retrograding only to smash into me. Surprisingly, I want it. I do Blaise. I need it. Oh shit. I'm going to be reborn or something."

 

     A goofy smirk was drawn onto her face.

 

      " That's so cliché." Blaise finally spoke. His heart warmed in her moment of clarity.

 

     " It's so going to happen." A salty taste at the corners of Niamh's mouth touched her tongue as she licked it out to moisten her lips.

 

     "You're crying."

 

    "I'm crying?"

 

    " That's what it seems to be."

 

     "I don't cry Blaise."

 

    "Liar, this is the third time I've seen you cry."

 

   " Can you forget them? I've never been this way until you."

 

    "Nope. I'm keeping these memories for a long time."

 

     " Can we take a shower? At least in there you can't see my tears." Niamh dramatically sighed.

 

    " Whatever you think will work."

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.