Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi everyone this chapter has been the most difficult thus far but its also one of the most important.Please let me know what you think.

The story thus far: Arthur stumbled into a brawl all to similar to the duel he fought with Lancelot after discovering him in the council chamber with Guinevere. Only this duel ended in murder. Seeing far too much of himself in the dead man Arthur turns on the killer ready to mete out the king's justice.

Characters: Arthur,Merlin, Gaius, OC: Magistrate Grigor/Efan, rating on this chapter is Mature for violence, adult concepts, morbid actions and behaviors, don't read at work or if you're wanting a pick me up.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The Truth Will Out Chapter 12

The Exile

-Part 2, Chapter XII

And The Truth Will Out


Arthur closed his hand round the back of John's neck and pulled the other man to his feet.

"You've murdered an innocent man," righteous indignation swelled in him "a descent loving husband that only wanted to make a life for himself with the woman he loved." He hurled the other man into tall chest of some sort and watched him fall backwards stumbling onto some broken pottery.

He leaned over John, glaring as the other man scrambled backward over broken pottery, wincing and pathetic. It only made him angrier.

"Please sire," John held up one hand in entreaty.

"You cuckolded this man in his own home. Did you think about him, about his reputation about his heartache?"

"Sire it wasn't like that."John held up on hand as if to ward off further punishment.

"Of course it wasn't," Arthur growled "you thought only of yourself, of the moment."

He pulled John to his feet heedless of the other man's blood. Rather than hurling him toward the wall he turned him and pulled John's arm up into the small of his back forcing it higher and then higher still.

John cried out in pain.

"I could break this arm." He said "I think that's what I would like to do."

"Your majesty?" Arthur looked up and saw the tall cloaked figure of Magistrate Grigor in the doorway of the cottage, lamp held high.

"Grigor?" He released his hold on John immediately.

For a long moment the magistrate only looked at him taking everything in and Arthur fought the urge to shrink back from the older man's scrutiny.

"Forgive me sire but what stinks?" The magistrate's dark face frowned as he pressed his free hand to his nose. Arthur felt a bit of relief that the other man made no comment at what he'd witnessed.

"You've got a murderer to deal with Grigor and an adulteress." He glanced at the woman still unconscious and wondered briefly at that.

"Murder and adultery?" Grigor replied dryly and strolled into the tiny house.

"I leave it in your hands then," Arthur strolled out before Grigor could attempt to engage him in conversation. He wanted nothing more than to get back to the palace and get changed. He'd gotten no more than a few feet when a woman dodged into his path

"Sire forgive my boldness," the woman was bowing her head giving him the view of only a linen cap and few strands of dark fly away her. When she spoke her words quick and breathless, "you may not recognize me. I am Enid, a friend of the Goode family."

Arthur took a breath "What can I do for you?"

She lifted her head, wide eyes, pale and desperate met his own.

"Sire, you must help up. Sarah is not an adulteress some evil magic has pushed her to this. Please don't leave this in the hands of the magistrate. It's more than he can handle."

"Magic?" Arthur felt his upper lip curling "you are mistaken Madame." He turned to go and started when he felt the woman's hand clutch his arm.

There were tears in her eyes when he looked back at her.

"Please sire, I beg you." The grip on his arm tightened but the hand trembled. "There is a curse on the city. Rolfe Goode may be the first to die but this is the twelfth such incident in fourteen weeks sire, he will not be the last."

"Twelfth?"

Fourteen weeks, fourteen weeks since he had banished Gwen.

"Adultery and murder are common enough incidents."

"Sire, please listen. If you love your people as they say you do then, you must listen. Do not let whatever curse it is that is upon the city continue to spread, we need you." She fell silent desperate eyes locked on his.

Arthur turned to face her "What do you believe is happening other than simple human weakness?"

She took a breath.

"Well speak."

"In little more than three months twelve women have betrayed their husbands. Twelve good honest women sire all living with just these few blocks. All of them have turned down once beloved beaus and spouses for men that they had previously rejected."

Arthur's eyes narrowed. "Perhaps they simple revealed their true natures? People, women in particular are often not what they seem. "

She drew back a bit but pressed on.

"Sire please don't dismiss this. One might prove treacherous, two might but twelve, no. Please question them yourself. If something is not done there will be no peace and more people will die."

"Magistrate Grigor" Arthur called to the older man.

"Yes sire," The magistrate came outside.

The magistrate was an older man, very tall and with night dark skin and large dark eyes. Normally large eyes gave the impression of youth or naiveté but on Grigor they gave the impression of seeing everything. In spite of the very low noble rank of Yeoman, the magistrate gave an impression of being outranked only by the king himself. His family had a long history of service to the crown.

"This is the twelfth such case of adultery in fourteen weeks?"

He took a moment before responding surveying both the king and Enid, eyes narrowing ever so slightly on seeing the other woman.

"Yes your majesty."

"And this is unusual?"

He drew in a deep breath his dark face gleaming under the torchlight.

"Most unusual sire," he paused clearly thinking "people will always catch us unawares with their actions but this is different. Even when people surprise us there is rhyme and reason to their acts, consideration of their own interest that is lacking here."

"Because it is a curse," Enid hissed vehemently.

The magistrate frowned and rubbed his forehead for a moment.

"Do you believe these twelve affairs to have been caused by magic?"

"Possibly sire."

"Why else would it be happening like this," Enid blurted out and bowed "I apologize for speaking out of turn, sire."

"You make a point." Arthur acknowledged and turned his attention back to Grigor "You did not believe this to be worthy of the attention of the crown?"

Again the older man was silent for a long time.

"I had hoped to resolve it myself since these crimes are under my jurisdiction and truthfully sire no one wants to poke the angry bear." Grigor looked at him pointedly.

"Bear?"

"Angry bear."

Enid cleared her throat, "Sire, if I may."

Arthur nodded

"This is too many in too short a time. What else would make women in Camelot destroy their relationships by adultery one-by-one?"

"I do agree with her sire I have dealt with all manner of crimes, adultery included. These recent cases are irregular for many reasons."

Arthur considered something his father had once cautioned him about regarding the people's fear of magic.

"How is it that you attempted to solve this problem Grigor?"

The magistrate looked away mouth twisted. For a long moment he was silent lamplight flickering over his dark face. When he looked back the older man locked his dark eyes on the king's.

"I consulted with the druids sire."

Enid let out a gasp.

Arthur measured the other man. There was no fear in him just proud defiance as he faced his sovereign, chin high, shoulders squared.

"Magic Grigor?"

"I assure you I broke no laws. I left Camelot to speak with the druids, I practice no magic myself and I brought no druids into Camelot."

"Consorting with practitioners of magic is illegal, is itself a crime," Arthur said.

"Forgive me sire but you were not here in the days before the purge, I was. I saw both the evil and the good. I saw magic bend time and nature and I saw it save lives and protect people from beast that we have fought at much greater cost under both your reign and your father's. I believed and still believe that we are dealing with magic and I thought it best to consult with those who might offer the insight of experience."

Arthur frowned he could not defy the magistrate's logic but he was not yet certain what he thought of the man's actions.

"We will consider your actions later. I will supervise this investigation going forward. However magistrate I still require you do your job."

"Of course sire."

Arthur halted a passing patrol "Wait here."

"Sire if I may make a suggestion?"

"Please do so."

He glanced pointedly at Enid who was watching them with anxious eyes, the two men moved a little ways away.

"We need to keep Sarah from her lover and ignorant of her husband's death for a time. We'll get the best information from her that way sire."

Arthur considered that for a moment before turning back to Enid.

"Get her dressed and take her to the court physician, if she wakes do not tell her anything You," he motion to one of the patrol "help her get the young woman inside the house to the palace."

"Yes sire," they said it in unison and went into the house.

"Guard."

"Your majesty."

"See to it that John is placed in a cell alone in the dungeons and allowed no visitors. Also have one of your men escort Sarah and Enid to the palace. Do not speak of what has happened here tonight to either of them. Once Sarah has been turned over to Gaius keep a guard on the door and send Enid directly to me."

"Yes sire," The guard bowed and began issuing orders to his men.

Arthur turned to the magistrate who wore only a light cloak over his bedclothes.

"Gather your evidence Grigor, I expect you in an hour. We will settle this tonight."

"Yes your majesty, thank you." The older man bowed and started toward his home.

Arthur hurried back to the palace mind full with the evening's experiences. A man had been murdered in his lap; the people believed the city was under a curse, Grigor was consulting with druids and he smelled. Arthur told himself to anger the current of emotion swelling around him he had work to do.


Magistrate Grigor hurried to his home; his thoughts rushing from on topic to another. The plan had been to find the token, build his case and then perhaps partner with the court physician to present it. Now the king was involved and he still had not determined the source of the magic.

"Well?" Efan was there almost the moment the door opened. She looked up at him with wide anxious eyes, her black-brown waist length curls tumbled from sleep. She'd lit a few candles and shadows danced over her pale face and creamy white wrapper.

"Is Sarah well?"

He rested his hands on her shoulders and squeezed them gently.

"I don't know. She was unconscious when I left her. John the weaver has been arrested apparently they were having an affair."

"Oh god! Not another one." She took a step back and paced to the mantle.

"There's more."He told her then about Rolfe being dead, about the king having taken over the investigation. He left out how he'd found the king beating the snot out of John and threatening to break his arm.

"You can tell him your theory at least."

"Yes."

"Grigor what is it?"

He licked his lips "I haven't found the token."

"No, you haven't but you've plenty of evidence and Arthur trust and respect you. He'll listen to you."

He studied his wife's pale face in the candlelight. Her wide blue eyes were serious and encouraging. Not many people knew the king better than Efan. She had been his wet nurse during his infancy and was the closest thing he had to a mother. When the prince had been ten years of age then King Uther had arranged the match between Grigor and his wife.

"It's not right what's happened to Gwen and Arthur."

"We're going to fix it darling." He stroked her dark curls not really seeing the strands of grey that showed the passage of time and age. Some said that Efan and Gwen were quite similar. Same height, similar builds, same curls, same wide easy smiles, and pointed little chin. Efan's skin was creamy white where Gwen's was cinnamon brown and Efan's eyes were quite blue while Gwen's were a warm brown but both women were very similar.

He gave her a quick soft, kiss.

"I'm going upstairs to get dressed can you get my two most recent log books and my notes for the past two months?"

She nodded, "Do you think it's going to be a long night?"

Grigor considered that "Perhaps."

"Shall I pack you a couple of drumsticks and bread?"

"Thank you darling but if I need to I'll find something at the palace."

"Grigor how was he? Did he look unwell?"

Grigor thought back on what he'd witnessed at Sarah's. Arthur was no sadist or tyrant but he'd been taken some satisfaction from beating John.

"I'm worried about him," was his reply.

She frowned.

"Let me go darling the king expects me."

"Of course," she took a step back and went to go get the log books. Grigor headed upstairs to dress.

Once he was dressed Grigor took a moment to review his notes. Even though Arthur was now king, Grigor still thought of him very much like a son. As Arthur had grown older, Uther had grown colder, ruling him rather than parenting him. Grigor had done his best to provide the young prince with the emotional support he needed. Seeing Arthur and Gwen pulled apart, learning that Gwen might have been enchanted- He and Efan ached for them and now these rumors about Gwen…

Grigor said a quick prayer before heading down stairs.

"Efan you've got my log books?"

"Yes!"She came out of the kitchen carrying his log books and a little bundle. Grigor found himself smiling at her consideration.

"Darling I told you not to trouble yourself with anything to eat."

"I know you did but give it to the king if you don't eat it and send him my love."

"All right," he kissed her cheek and headed out the door. It was time to fix this.


Merlin sat down on the floor of his chamber facing the east. For three weeks now he'd been working to find Gwen. Working and failing in every spare moment. When meditating to learn her fate his mind turned again and again to Morgana and The Shade. When dowsing to discern her location nothing happened. He was completely blocked but he had to keep trying. Tonight he was doing something different instead of attempting to keep his focus with Gwen he was going to let his mind go down that other path, his follow his anger with Morgana and himself.

He built Gwen's image in his mind with practiced ease and concentrated on what he wanted to see- the meeting between her and the bandit.

He saw her for the hurrying through the woods as the setting sun at her back. Finally she came to a stream and Merlin could truly see her sad state. Her curls were braided into thick, messy plaits, red scratches stood out against skin turned white with ash. Her once attractive clothing was dirty, torn and bedraggled. He saw no sign of the cart.

She drank from the stream and then sat down a few feet away.

Don't camp there. Don't you know how dangerous it is? Everything and everyone will come to the stream. Was this how she had run into trouble? His anger flared at the thought and Morgana was before him as he had seen her last, unconscious on the forest floor. Instead of forcing his thoughts back to Gwen he let them go where they would.

He was there not as Dragoon the Great, he was himself and he had a knife in hand. Merlin watched as he moved quickly and quietly to Morgana. He knelt beside her and then swiftly and smoothly slit her throat. Merlin groaned inwardly, well aware of the fact that if he'd taken one of his many opportunities to kill Morgana, Gwen would be alive and well right now. But he hadn't. How did it help to dwell on what ifs? He saw himself slitting her throat again and winced away. He didn't really want to do that, he was no murderer.

Then why not give everything over to Morgana? You may not want to kill her but she will happily kill you. It wasn't good enough for her that Lancelot sacrificed himself she had to torment his spirit as well make him an instrument of destruction turned against those he loved. Gwen was her friend, someone she loved and where is Gwen now thanks to that love. She'd murdered her own father terrible though he was. She will show no mercy to you or Arthur or Gaius or Gwaine.

But I'm no murder.

Then why bother finding out where Gwen is if you're not going to anything different. If she was alive would you bring her back here to fall under Morgana's threat again?

He hadn't considered that. Morgana's love for Gwen had become hate; sweet, loving Gwen would always be in danger from her.

Exactly, the inner voice hissed. Suddenly his choice was quite clear. Morgana would come at them again and when she did she would not survive the encounter.

He was back at the stream. Gwen was sitting and then lying down to sleep. And then they were in the council room and she was pulling The Shade's lips down to hers a knowing smile on her face. Merlin felt his anger flare but not for Morgana this time. How could she have betrayed them? The peace he needed to summon a vision shattered. Merlin opened his eyes. He was mad at Gwen? He pushed up from the floor, slowly stretching his stiff limbs. He needed a break, he had expected to think through this thing with Morgana and be able to focus on what he needed to know

His stomach rumbled; he hadn't eaten before starting this evening. Merlin headed into the outer chamber.

Gaius was sitting unmoving at the table where they took their meals, his expression far away and sad. In one hand he held a piece of paper and the other a bracelet.

"Gaius?"

When the physician did not look up at the sound of his name Merlin grew worried.

"Gaius?" He gave the older man's shoulder a gentle shake.

"Merlin," Gaius looked up, firelight flickering on his face. Had he been crying?

"Gaius are you well?"

"Enid was just here," he paused "she has brought the most terrible news." Gaius studied the scrap of paper in his hand and let out a breath. "She told me," the older man stopped again and glanced at Merlin, "she told me that she thought there was a curse on the city."

"A curse? Gaius are you sure you're all right?"

"I'm fine." He patted Merlin's hand and carefully folded the scrap of paper he'd been holding. "There have been women in the lower town," he spoke slowly as if absorbing the weight and meaning of his words as he said them "compelled to seek affairs with former lovers. Twelve in the fourteen weeks since Gwen had been gone."

"What!" Merlin stared at him at the older man, all thoughts of vision seeking pushed from his mind by this new information.

"Something is compelling women to have affairs." Gaius spoke slowly emphasizing each word. "She said at first she thought that somehow angry nobles had arranged the fiasco with Gwen and Lancelot. Since then she's changed her mind and thinks that there is a curse on the city because of all the subsequent affairs. She's not the only person that thinks so. Magistrate Grigor went so far as to consult with the druids."

Merlin stared down at him.

"An enchantment?" He dropped onto the bench beside Gaius. "An enchantment."

The lamplight continued to flicker and there was the who-o-o of an owl looing in the night. A curse compelling women to have affairs with former lovers? His eyes roved over the cluttered contents of the room.

"But how?" Merlin asked the question not quite believing, not wanting to believe what that meant about Gwen and about himself.

"What do you make of this?" Gaius held up the bracelet.

It was beautiful and silver gleaming bright in the firelight, flowers and trees flowing along its curved surface.

"It's a Bracelet what does this have to do with anything?"

"She was wearing it." Gaius pointed to the bed reserved for his patients. A young blonde woman in a simple and worn homespun dress lay there unconscious.

Merlin studied the woman on the couch, she was quite young.

"That bracelet is certainly too expensive for her. She is one of the women and you think that bracelet compelled her?" He looked back at the bracelet.

Gaius nodded, "If Enid and the magistrate are right then this might be how the magic spread."

Merlin took a breath and reached out for the round of metal.

"Let me have it."

Gaius tucked the note that he'd been holding into his pocket and handed Merlin the bracelet.

The metal felt warm and alive under his fingertip and- His stomach turned as nausea washed over him. Merlin dropped it reflexively and the bracelet clattered to the floor.

"Merlin are you alright you look a little green?" Gaius's pale eyes were on him intently.

The nausea passed.

"I felt sick. I barely touched it and I felt sick. It's definitely enchanted." Merlin studied the bracelet without touching it again "It does looked familiar."

He steeled himself and picked it up. Prepared for the sick feeling Merlin ignored the wave of nausea and held on. The warlock slowed his breathing and after a few deep breaths the sickness began to pass. The trance state came easily, almost naturally now. He willed the bracelet to show him its secrets. An image came into his mind, an image of Gwen.

Not as he'd seen her last. Head bowed as she pulled her cart from Camelot, nor as he'd seen her in his vision by the stream. No it was years ago and she was weeping in Camelot's dungeons, Uther was planning to burn her for something he did.

"Remember me, remember me."

"Gwen how could I ever forget you?" He pulled the cell door open, entered and closed his arms around her. His only thought to give her comfort, reassurance that he would save her from the fires somehow. She cried into his shoulder tiny hands clutching his arms as if her very life depended on that grip. He pressed her closer, her small body warm and soft in his arms. She smelled sweetly of lavender and vanilla and he inhaled the delicious scent of her soft hair. Without realizing it he had moved one of his hands from the small of her back to tangle in those silky brown curls.

"Merlin?" She pulled back eyes damp.

"I- I'm sorry. I don't know what-" He looked away unable to meet her eyes fearing rejection, she always left him so confused and he was not a confident man.

"Don't be sorry." She forced him to meet her eyes."Don't be sorry." The words came warm and breathy as she devoured him with her eyes and Merlin felt an answering tide of lust and old emotions. Her tiny hands held his face and brought his lips down to hers. She was so soft and warm. Her delicious curves pressed against him, tongue sweet, hot and slick in his mouth like damp velvet. His blood was flowing south and in spite of everything he knew Merlin suddenly wanted, needed her desperately. He pressed against her making his need known and she pulled away a teasing look in her eyes.

"Come to me Merlin."

"God yes-"

"-Merlin!"

Gwen disappeared as Gaius's voice crackled into his brain like a whip. How had he gotten into the door way?

"Merlin where are you going?" Gaius dashed the bracelet out of his hands. "You looked as if you were in some sort of trance."

Merlin tugged at the collar of his shirt in an attempt to fan himself.

"I was-"

"What did you see?"

"Um a woman, from my past," he spoke quickly "Someone I might have had romantic feelings for once." Merlin coughed and felt his eyes drawn back to the bracelet; he wanted it and her-

"-Merlin concentrate," Gaius shoved him toward a stool and covered the bracelet with a cloth. "You saw someone you might have had feelings for."

"Yes ahhh-" He could still feel her softness "yes once, but no longer? They just seemed to come out of nowhere."

"And where were you going?"

"To her- I was drawn to her."Her eyes devoured him.

"So it's love charm?" Gaius questioned.

Merlin considered that.

"Nonono." He shook his head eyes on the bracelet dull blue fabric Gaius had covered the bracelet with he could still feel the softness of her body pressed against his. "That is carnal, definitely carnal." Merlin fanned himself and glanced at the young woman on the cot. "This was on Sarah Goode?"

"Yes.

"Gaius," he said forcing himself to concentrate "it drew me towards someone I once wanted and under its influence I would have gone to her no matter what. I want to take the bracelet from you and find her now. If Gwen was wearing this it would have sent her straight to the shade." His head was starting to hurt and he collapsed back into the chair. "She didn't do anything Gaius. Anything at all and now-"

"Merlin," Gaius sat down across from him one hand in his pocket. "You have to focus." The older man's voice gentle but firm, "Gwen is alive and she deserves to have her name cleared. We have to focus."

"Right, you're right." Merlin sat up and forced himself to concentrate. "He will need a demonstration."

"Arthur?"Gaius studied Sarah moment and the corner of his mouth quirked upward in the vaguest hint of a smile. "Let's put the bracelet back on Sarah."

"Back?" he felt himself balking.

"Yes Merlin. He mustn't have any doubts. One of us will have to be involved in the questioning and somehow make certain she takes it off so he can see a difference during the questioning. We'll still have to connect the bracelet back to Gwen-"

"No we won't." Merlin said with growing certainty. "Arthur will recognize it the moment he sees it."

"He will?" Gaius sounded genuinely puzzled.

"He was so upset by the idea that a man had given Gwen a costly piece of jewelry that he had a jeweler brought in to have a cuff bracelet made for her. He'll recognize it."

"Good that's one less thing to worry about."

Merlin slipped the bracelet back onto Sarah's wrist and then to be on the safe side used a little magic to lengthen her sleeves. They had to do this just so.

"Good thinking Merlin. He must see Sarah's focus on her lover first."

"Gaius, will it be enough do you think?"

"Enough to what?" The old man said "Convince Arthur? Merlin I don't think there is much more we can do."

Merlin frowned not at all certain he agreed with Gaius. This was how they had been doing things for the past six years. Doing things this way had led to Gwen being banished and possibly dead, Elyan departing, Lancelot spirit being tortured and his good name ruined and Arthur being turned against the woman he loved.

"I don't know Gaius," Merlin said softly.

"What?"

"Nothing," he shook his head. He already knew what Gaius would say if he told him he was thinking of telling Arthur about his magic.


A page brought Enid to his suite, first. He could see her more clearly now, she wore a simple cotton dress, a few strands of brown hair escaped a linen cap and her wide hazel eyes darted everywhere.

Arthur sat down at the head of the table and motioned for Enid take the chair to his right.

"Sire," she ducked her head quickly as she sat and Arthur could see that the confidence with which she had spoken earlier had abandoned her. "Where should I begin?"

"Start at the very beginning."

"Yes sire."

She started nervously her voice tremulous.

"At first it seemed one of those funny sorts of coincidences," her hands twisted the fabric of her skirt. "I mean Leolin catching Janet like that and Janet suddenly choosing Neirin. But then Mared coming onto Lynette after both of them had been married for fifteen years without a hint of impropriety between them and off they go without a second thought for their husbands…" Enid went on through her list of affairs her confidence growing as she told her tale. When she finished Arthur could not deny that there was truly something amiss in Camelot.

"Once is chance, twice is coincidence, third times conspiracy." He muttered.

"That's what I thought sire."

"Very well," he said "now tell me about Sarah."

She nodded and began again. Sarah had loved Rolfe since she was just thirteen, five years. Sarah it seemed had fallen in love with Rolfe only few months after he'd fallen in love with Guinevere. The pair had waited years to marry ensuring that Sarah would be safe when it came time for the bearing of children. The young woman had no duplicitous motive for marrying. And it was certainly strange that she would marry a man and betray him so carelessly all in one week. Yet and still stranger things had happened.

A knock came as she was finishing and the magistrate was announced. Magistrate Grigor arrived with two large, leather bound books under one arm.

"Magistrate Grigor how is Efan?" Arthur motioned for the man to have a seat.

A smile flickered across his face and he sat the two books on the table.

"She is well, complains that you haven't been by for dinner since your coronation. But she sends her love and chicken," Grigor handed the bundle of food to Arthur who smiled with delight.

"I was going to complain about the two of you not coming to the palace for dinner since my coronation but I think I'll just be satisfied with this."

"Good, because all those up in the air nobles and royals they give me indigestion." He winked and Arthur chuckled.

"I guess you make yourself sick too then," Arthur replied.

"Very clever,"Grigor chuckled.

"Let's get down to business, what do you have for us?"

"I have my logs."

"Good. Enid," Arthur turned his attention back to her "you have a sharp eye. I want you to stay and listen to the magistrate's report."

"Y-yes sire but my husband will wonder why I am so late coming home."

"I'll send a page over."

"Thank you sire."

He gave her a small smile of encouragement and she returned it.

The magistrate's log contained the full record of adultery cases for the past two years. In all that time there had only been ten penalties handed out for adultery. Of the ten, seven complaints had been lodged by the fathers of unmarried girls against married men. All had resulted in fines and time in the stocks. The remaining three had been the complaints of husband against wives. Again there had been times in the stocks and the lovers of the wives had paid a fine to their spouses. Only one case had resulted in a brawl.

Then in the last three months there had been twelve nearly identical cases of adultery. Thirteen if Guinevere was included. Arthur sighed it was more than unusual.

"Here's the thing sire most cases of adultery don't come to light and none so fast. People have affairs for months, years sometimes and often no one knows. Folks don't like to mess up their lives; don't like to hurt their spouses so they are careful. They get reckless after months or years of not getting caught." Grigor shook his head "These twelve were so reckless that they were caught almost as soon as they'd started, as if the purpose of the magic or curse were to get 'em caught."

"So you decided to consult with the druids."

Enid leaned in then.

"Yes."

Arthur sucked his tongue studying his friend. Merlin entered at that moment.

"Sire Sarah is awake."

"Thank you Merlin have a seat." Arthur ignored the vaguely surprised look on Merlin's face and returned his attention to Grigor "What did you learn from the druids?"

"I told them exactly what I told you, though there were only seven cases at the time. They could not say for certain, they had not spoken to any of the victims but they believed it some sort of strange magic. This spell it seems is particularly malicious. Love charms and potions and things are usually for the purpose of bringing two people together not pulling them apart. The magic is probably being spread through a personal item or token as it seems to affect only one person at a time. They suggested that it would look perfectly normal and would only seem malevolent to those sensitive to magic."

"Not so very much," Arthur said.

"But more than we knew before!" Enid said excitedly and then looked a bit contrite before settling back down.

"Did they have any idea of who might have done such a thing?"

The older man drummed his fingers on the table. "It could have been random magic let loose but given the timing," Grigor paused and met his eyes "they thought it might be your sister with her aim being to halt your marriage."

For a long time both men were silent.

"I see," Arthur said after a time "Have you anything else to report?"

"That's it sire. Everything is written in my logs." The magistrate gestured toward the two leather bound volumes."

"Here?" Merlin reached out his hands and stopped himself "May I?"

"I don't mind." Grigor replied.

"Well go ahead Investigator Merlin."

Merlin rolled his eyes and began looking through the slimmer of the two logs. Arthur studied his swollen knuckles and looked at the magistrate.

"When Sarah arrives I'd like you to handle questioning her."

He nodded after a moment "As you wish sire."

Arthur sent a page to fetch Gaius and Sarah. The four of them did not have long to wait. Gaius arrived with Sarah in tow. The physician looked much the same as the always. Someone had dressed Sarah in a simple peasant smock with overlong sleeves hanging to her knuckles and her blonde hair was wild about her head. She stood straight and walked tall before pausing before the king.

"Sire," she curtsied. "Good sirs."

Arthur ground his teeth watching her but motioned for her to take the seat across from Grigor. The magistrate leaned back from the table studying her briefly with slightly narrowed eyes.

"How are you feeling Sarah?" The dark skinned man smiled slightly.

"Well, I suppose. I don't quite understand how I got here though. The physician said I was fine but I have a bit of a headache." She lifted one hand to the back of her head and shot a nervous glance at Arthur.

The magistrate nodded."You hit your head. Do you remember how?"

"No. I remember I was playing cards with a friend and then my husband came home later than usual, that was it."

"Are you friends with John the weaver?"

She nodded and smiled.

"Yes, very good friends. I've known him all my life, he's a good man."

Arthur rolled his eyes and reminded himself she didn't know that her husband had been killed by this good man.

"Was he the friend visiting your home?" Grigor asked.

"Yes," she shot a wary glance at the Arthur.

"What were the two of you doing?"The Magistrate cocked his head to one side.

"Is John in trouble? Is that why I am here?"

"Shouldn't you be asking that question about your husband?" Arthur asked unable to stop himself.

All eyes shot in his direction on those words.

"O-of course I'm concerned about my husband." She looked around as if she expected some word or answer from outside herself "Is Rolfe in any trouble?"

"No, no your husband is fine." The magistrate's tone was quite soothing.

"Good. You were asking about John." She smiled as if this new topic pleased her so.

Arthur felt that anger starting to swell again and reminded himself that he had asked Grigor to question her.

"So John was visiting." Grigor prompted.

"That's right we were playing cards." She lifted her eyes from her lap and spoke, eyes and tone full of bravado. "My husband was working late. John was keeping me company."

"Company," A heated mist swam before his eyes "is that what you call it?"

"We were doing nothing wrong," her chin came forward and her eyes flashed.

"More lies Madame!" He'd heard the phrase boiling mad-

-"I'm not lying!" She said hotly.

"You're not?" Arthur pounded his fist on the table and surged to his feet."So why then did I come to your home and find you naked and unconscious while your husband and lover fought one and other over your worthless person?"

"No!" Sarah denied the accusation and Grigor laid a restraining hand on his arm. Arthur shook it off.

"Yes!" Sarah shrank back from him and Arthur snatched from her seat shaking her, the control he'd exercised with Guinevere forgotten. "Don't lie to your king!"

"You're hurting me," she raised one arm, a barrier between her and the king.

"What's this?" Arthur released his grip on her shoulders and lifted her arm to better study the silver bracelet she was wearing. "Where did you get this?"

"It's mine!" Sarah sobbed face red.

"Lies again!" he wrenched her arm and snatched it from her wrist. "Tell me the truth."

"I-I found it."

"Where?"

"In the street discarded."

Arthur studied the bracelet and looked at Sarah, who'd collapsed weeping on the floor. Enid had moved to crouch at her side, rubbing the young woman's back.

He'd seen this on Gwen shortly after proposing to her. It was expensive and he'd wondered immediately who'd given it to her. His mind had created a very sweet fantasy of draping her in Pendragon jewels. Guinevere had this and now Sarah. He sat it down on the table wondering suddenly if this was the token the druids had spoken of.

"Come on. Let's get you back in your seat." Enid said softly. Sarah nodded and let the other woman help her up.

"Arthur," he let Grigor pull him to the far side of the room, away from the table and Sarah and Gaius and Merlin to the far side of the room."Merlin," Grigor called out to the younger man "can you please fetch us some wine from the kitchens? I think we could all do with a drink."

"Of course," Merlin replied, if Grigor noticed the annoyance in the manservant's voice he didn't comment on it and neither did Arthur.

"Are you unwell sire?"

"I-" he started to lie but suddenly couldn't force the words past his lips not in the face of Grigor's obvious concern, "no I'm not."

The other man paused and took a long deep breath.

"Okay," Grigor clasped his forearms and gave them a reassuring squeeze. "Can you hold it together for just a while longer? I'm with you, Merlin is with you, Gaius is with you. We're almost at the heart of the matter."

"But if Guinevere-"

"-I know but we need to finish this first. One thing at a time."

"You're right," Arthur took a deep breath in an effort to pull himself together. This was important, his people needed him and that included Guinevere.

Merlin returned quicker than expected with the wine and poured glasses for everyone.

"You have some too," Arthur said dully resuming his seat.

For a long time the only sound heard was the sipping and gulping of watered wine. Every now and again everyone shot glances at the bracelet. Everyone save Sarah. Sarah, sniffled and whimpered from time-to-time, ignoring her goblet in spite of Enid's attempts to get her to drink.

"Is it possible that I may be excused?" Sarah said at last. "I need to talk to my husband."

"Now you're worried about your husband?" Arthur questioned.

"Yes." She sniffed again "please sire I need to go to him."

"And why would he want you?" Arthur asked still not quite convinced.

"You're right of course, but-" she whimpered and wiped at her eyes. "Oh god! Please let me go to him. He saw-" she began crying again a miserable broken sound.

"What did he see Sarah?" the Magistrate asked patiently.

"I can't say it."

"You weren't worried about your husband a moment ago."Arthur said quietly.

She sniffed "You're right I wasn't. I've been so confused."

"Confused how?" The magistrate's tone was urgent.

"Just tell them everything Sarah," Enid said spoke to the girl in soothing tones.

"I-I just before my wedding- for years all I wanted was to marry Rolfe but we were too young. My parents made us wait, five just like you and her" she took a deep breath. "John is very handsome but Rolfe is the only man I've ever loved, ever wanted. Just before we were to be married all there were all these feelings. I don't know where they came from. They were overwhelming."

"All these feelings, they were overwhelming-" The same words Guinevere had used.

She scrunched up her face and ran her hands through her hair before continuing. Arthur considered what Grigor had just told him. All the women described the situation the same.

"Suddenly I was drawn to John. I tried to ignore it. I love Rolfe so much. I thought the confusion in my mind, the confusion in my heart would go away but-" she shuddered and hugged herself. "It didn't. It got worse. I was saying and doing things I'd never say, never do- I can't believe- Please can I go see my husband?" She looked at them in an entreaty and Arthur felt a wave of guilt flood through him.

"Soon Sarah soon," Grigor coaxed her along "just answer a few more questions. This is more important than you can imagine."

She nodded.

"When did you get this?" Grigor indicate the bracelet.

"I found it a few days before the wedding. I knew it belonged to some lady, someone important. I picked it up thinking to find the owner but I started to think how nice it might be to have something beautiful like this for my wedding. I put it on just before my wedding began."

Everyone round the table drew in a breath and Sarah eyed them all in confusion.

"What? What is going on?"

Arthur saw sympathy in Enid's face.

"Sarah will you do one more thing for us?" The magistrate asked "Can you put this on now?"

"I" she frowned and shook her head "-I don't want to."

"It's okay," Arthur said it softly feeling guilt at how he'd behaved only moments earlier. "Just for a few minutes more and then you may go."

She took a breath and reached out with trembling hands "Alright."

She slipped the bracelet back on. A sly look crept back into her features.

"Sarah?" The magistrate prompted her, "you said you were drawn to John even though you loved Rolfe?"

"John is," she paused "John is irresistible who wouldn't want him? I think about him all the time. I can't stop thinking about him."

"But not your husband?" Grigor asked.

She looked around much as she had earlier as if looking for the right answer.

"Well I do love my husband but I can't stop thinking of John."

Arthur stared at her; this was what Morgana had turned Guinevere into.

"Very well, Grigor said "why don't you give the bracelet back and then you can go see whomever you like?"

"As you wish," She couldn't keep the smile from her face as she slipped the thing from her wrist. Everyone watched and waited as regret, misery and horror crept back into her face.

"Sarah," Grigor's tone was soothing "do you still want to see John?"

"John? No! I need to see my husband." Horror filled her expression "Oh god, I don't know who I am anymore." She looked directly at him then. "I love Rolfe so much. I used to pray for Rolfe and I every day. And when your story sire, yours and Guinevere's came out, I thought all of us must be so blessed, so lucky. I used to laugh and liken us all the time. We even planned our wedding day to match yours." She paused shaking her head for a moment "I didn't understand how she could do it. If she loved you as much as I loved Rolfe and if you looked at her with half as much love as Rolfe looked at me- How could she possibly do it? I told myself I would never be like her, but I am just like her. I'm so sorry." Her head collapsed to the table in storm of tears.

"No Sarah," Arthur said softly after a few minutes passed "the apology is owed to you and Guinevere."

She raised her head then and Arthur felt his heartbreaking at the confusion in her face.

"What? Why? What's happening to me?" Her voice trembled with fear.

"You've been enchanted." Grigor explained.

She frowned and stared.

"Enchanted but how?"

"This bracelet that you found Sarah it spread the magic that enchanted you," Merlin said.

"This? But I don't- Why would someone enchant me?"

"It wasn't meant for you Sarah." Grigor replied.

"Whu-" Her lower lip quivered and her eyes grew wide.

Arthur pushed to his feet and walked away from the table. Guinevere had been enchanted. He'd seen the bracelet on her himself.

The room felt hot and tight suddenly. The voices of Sarah and the magistrate faded.

"I love you .You mean everything to me." "All I've ever wanted is to be your queen. I still want to be your queen." Why hadn't he seen? Why hadn't he heard-

"-and now you've killed my sister."

He needed air. Arthur opened one of the larger windows. The summer night had grown cool and he gasped in lung fulls of night air. The starry sky had taken on the cool grey of early morn the sun would be rising soon. Again his world would be turned upside down in less than twelve hours.

Sarah shrieked, a pathetic, miserable sound that twisted his heart and Arthur guessed they were finally telling her about her husband. He thought of Guinevere out there, somewhere perhaps dead. He looked at Sarah crying on Enid's shoulder, she and her husband both victims. He and Guinevere robbed of each other; Guinevere robbed of her good name.

"I'm so sorry Guinevere; by all that's holy I am so sorry."

"Am I to be your husband or your king?" He had failed her as both.

"Arthur." He heard Merlin's footfalls but did not turn."I won't ask how you're feeling."

"Like horse dung."

There was a pause, "Me too."

"You?" Now he turned to look askance at the younger man.

"I count Gwen amongst my friends as well."

"Of course you do Merlin but you didn't send her out there, away from her home, from her family. You weren't the one that didn't see all the ways it didn't make sense. You," he faced Merlin now "you tried to convince me to do something different but as always I let my uncle overrule my better judgment." Arthur fell silent.

"Overrule?"

"Yes. He was being nice, comforting not like my father would have been but insisting she be punished. When I told him I thought she was enchanted his entire demeanor changed. He told me I was being childish, grasping at straws. I had to respond robustly, I couldn't go easy on her because I loved her, reminded me that this was part of the inevitable challenge of being king."

He drew in a breath. The familiar whirling tide of despair and anger that seemed to always be with him surged and swelled drawing close.

"I was like a god damned puppet and now Guinevere is out there."

"You thought she might have been enchanted all those months ago?" Merlin asked and he sounded strangely bewildered.

Both men fell silent.

"Merlin what's the likelihood that Lancelot would just arrive in Camelot just as Gwen and I had agreed to marry just in time for her to find or receive that thing?" Arthur frowned "He had to be a part of it somehow."

"It would be an impossible coincidence."

"Exactly Merlin. I've been having this dream. I'm in the arena but only my mother and father are there. My mother looks at my father and says "He's not ready." My father replies "But they've tricked him". That's when I realize I am not wearing armor just trousers and sandals. I see my opponent then Lancelot. We wrestle like Greeks and he always gets me into a chokehold. I can't get my breath, everything blurs and that's when he starts to speak."

"I thought you were smarter than this. I stepped aside for you. I gave up my life for you. I thought you were smarter than this."

He drew a breath and admitted one simple fact.

"What we saw that night in the council room was no more Lancelot than it was Guinevere. Morgana couldn't have raised him from the dead there was no body? Perhaps it was someone wearing Lancelot guise. I don't know how she might have done it but I no longer believe it. That was a show made for us to see." The anger swelled again "That bitch when I see her again there will be no mercy, not tie of blood will protect her. Morgana's life forfeit. I swear it."

He didn't see Merlin take an involuntary step backwards.

"Sire," Grigor addressed him from a safe distance hands resting lightly on his hips expression thoughtful. "If there isn't anything more needed from Sarah I thought we might send for her family and Rolfe's. I can tell his parents what's happened. There's also John to consider. I don't imagine he needs a trial."

"He can have a trial; he can have his trial by ordeal." Arthur felt a bit of satisfaction at the bloodthirsty thought.

"I would like to raise the possibility that the men may also have been compelled."

He had not considered this.

"How would we tell such a thing?"

Arthur's eyes roamed the room and landed on Gaius. Sarah had grown quiet and the older man had moved the young woman from her seat at the table to a narrow bench and draped one of Arthur's linens about her shoulders.

"Gaius," Arthur strode toward the physician leaving Merlin and Grigor to follow. "Is it possible that the men were also affected by the bracelet?"

The older man leaned forward palms resting on his knees.

"It's difficult to say sire. That would be awfully powerful magic and I don't believe it's that powerful. We should question John but I don't know that his testimony alone would be enough to base a decision on."

"Excuse sire if I may?" Enid spoke up clearly she had an idea of some sort.

"Go ahead."

She addressed the Magistrate "You said you took statements from the women did you also take statements from their lovers?"

"Yes, yes I did." A smile lit the elder man's dark face "You're thinking they might have some common language that betrays enchantment as well."

Enid nodded grinning back at him.

"I don't remember any such similarity but it's worth a look." Grigor opened his log and lowered his long frame into one of the chairs "I write down all the salient points. Enid?" He extended several sheets toward her.

She shook her head negative and he extended them toward Merlin and Arthur. Arthur read what the magistrate gave him and then passed them to the others for further review.

There was a similarity but not of the sort that suggest compulsion.

"Did you see that? No way I was gonna turn that down."

"My wife's gotten old and shrewish and I've always wanted to lay with Anne."

"Sweet thing was all over me. What else was I gonna do? What would you have done?"

"Did none of them refuse?" Merlin declared in disgust.

"If they did there'd be no affair, no statement." The magistrate shrugged.

"These don't read like statements of men under enchantment, just men with no honor." Arthur said at last and there were nods all around. Silence descended for a while "Still if none of them resisted and I would hope at least one of them would, that in and of itself seems suspicious."

Everyone was silent for a while.

"We'll question the women again." Grigor said, "Find out how they came to be in possession of the bracelet. If they got it from someone not in the logs then we talk to them find out if they were any near affairs. That should answer whether or no the men were enchanted."

"Yes, I think it would."

Enid yawned loud and hard.

"Sorry," she said.

"We've kept you away from your family for far too long I think Madame."

"Oh I don't mind sire. I'm glad I was able to help."

"You were more than helpful Enid. You were instrumental," Arthur said realizing that Enid had had it right from the beginning, Morgana certainly qualified as angry noble.

She smiled "I don't know, sire I-" her hazel eyes went wide at something over his shoulder. "Sarah?"

Arthur turned his head and felt his own eyes grow wide. While they'd all been distracted trying to work out the last few details of the situation Sarah had slipped away from Gaius and now stood in the frame of one of his windows.

"Don't!" Arthur was on his feet and running toward her in the winking of an eye the others only a breath behind. But she was stepping into thin air and meeting her fate long before they reached her.


For a long moment Arthur stared down at her body. She was broken it seemed in a hundred different places. Limbs bent at strange unnatural angles, eyes sightless, it looked so painful. He sighed and crouched beside her. He wanted to speak but the heaviness of his heart would not let him part his lips. Arthur ignored the crowd gathering in the courtyard and touched gentle fingertips to her lids. He shut her eyes and covered her face with the rough white canvass.

"Sarah," he muttered a quick prayer and covered her with the canvass. The Reapers would be here for her body very soon. Arthur thought briefly of their families hers, Rolfe's, John's…He suddenly didn't want John's blood. This situation would not have existed were it not for Morgana and his own failure in halting this at its very beginning.

But John had been under no enchantment. He'd acted of his own will both when he committed adultery with Sarah and again when he picked up that knife. Arthur considered the facts. He would hand John over to Grigor and let the manor court decide John's fate the crimes were under his jurisdiction after all.

Gaius would test the bracelet and find it magical. He have to address would address the men and women of his city encourage then to make peace with one and other and mend their marriages. There would be pardons issued and his efforts to find Guinevere would be redoubled. Arthur lifted her ring from the place where it now resided on a silver chain above his heart. He looked toward heavens and placed a gentle kiss on the silver band. He spared a glance for the white canvas covering Sarah and sighed.

Where ever you are Guinevere you mustn't give up, please don't ever give up. No matter what happens you must live.






Chapter End Notes:

I hope you all enjoyed this update. This chapter was a total beast, doing the edits was like trying to get a harness on a bear. Its quite long but splitting it would have made it weaker I think. Anyway the mystery of the bracelet has finally been solved and now Arthur has to begin his search for Guinevere. Meanwhile Guinevere has decision to make about her future,what type of life she wants to live and what type of woman she wants to become.

This chapter has been the most difficult please let me know what you think about all of it.

Shout-out to fdarcy who has been waiting very patiently for the bracelet reveal. I hope it lived up to your expectations.:)







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.