Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The Exile, Part II

-Guinevere, called Jenafere-

Chapter 5  Class Warfare

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


     

               Elyan sniffed, the pungent honeyed smell of sweet basil and rosewood hung in the air. He crossed the armory to place his weapons and armor in their racks, the ever present smell of the sand and vinegar used to clean the armor grew stronger as he walked further into the room. Sunlight glinted on his breast plate and for a moment the young knight studied the reflection of his dark face, sometimes he saw her there-

                "Well done on the drills." Percival's compliment brought him into the moment.

                 "Thanks," he murmured, "We've been working hard. Perhaps we will see some action soon."

                "We will." Percival said it with such certainty that if it had been anyone else he would have suspected witchery or treachery, but with Percival it was just the big man's deliberate nature that gave certainty to his words-  that or his imposing height.

                "Elyan, Gwaine when you've done step into my office." Leon called them from the door of his study. It was phrased politely and pleasantly, but both men hurried to finish putting their armor away.

                "You two are in trouble." Percival grinned at them and there were sniggers from Sir Kay and Sir Gareth.

                "Elyan, you been out to the taverns with this one again?" Sir Bedivere's voice rumbled and the one-armed man studied them with a grin. He knew his fellow knights were teasing them, but he felt vaguely uncomfortable. Only he and Gwaine had been singled out, the two commoner-Knights.

                "A man's gotta have some fun right? Come on." Gwaine dropped a friendly arm around his shoulders and the two knights headed toward Sir Leon's office.

                "Any ideas?" Elyan asked Gwaine in loud whisper as they drew out of earshot of their fellows.

                "None," was the taller knight's only reply.

                The senior knight sat not at his desk, but on a short bench beneath the office's only window.  His armor had been replaced with a green quilted surcoat. The room was small and bright, the window taking full advantage of the westward sun. Leon burned more basil and rosemary and the scent of vinegar and sweat disappeared. His office boasted a desk -on its surface- several furled and unfurled scrolls, quill and ink, and set of shelves holding several heavy tomes. Leon served as knight Captain, senior most of them all, he was one of the few that could read and write a legible hand. After each practice he filled a page in their log and after every trip he spent hours in his office filling writing- well Elyan didn't know what. He also requisitioned all their food and supplies.

                "The two of you did well today as always."  Leon's posture was perfect, back straight, shoulders square, right ankle resting on left knee.

                "Thank you sir," they said it in unison.

                "Have a seat."

                The two men sat on the wooden stools that faced the bench.

"Every month the knight report is given at council. Usually the Knight Captain gives the report. This month," Leon paused and stroked his beard, "his majesty has requested that the two of you give the report."

                Elyan and Gwaine looked at each other and then back at Leon.

                "Us," again they spoke in concert even as they pointed at one and other.

                "That's right."

                "No offense Leon, but bureaucracy makes my balls itch. Why aren't you giving it?" Gwaine asked that question and Elyan waited for Leon's answer.

The senior knight frowned somewhat disapprovingly.

"The king has ordered it." He paused for a moment. "You're to give the report, answer any questions and remain for the rest of the session. You won't be there long. Lord Troy's petition is the only one that follows."

                "You and his majesty are both forgetting one very important fact. Neither of us can read." Elyan raised this snag.

Leon leaned back in his chair and smoothed the space between his brows with an index finger.

"I explained all this to his majesty; he said to have you commit it to memory. Council is in two days. We start now. I've ordered your lunch. You'll have it here." Leon sighed and studied them for a moment. "I'll be so glad when the new education law goes into effect," he muttered more to himself, than the others. "Let us begin."

                "Very well," Elyan said. Clearly the decision had been made already.  "Gwaine can take the first half; I'll take the second."  He grinned cheekily at his comrade and the other man glared at him.

                "Good." Leon opened one of the scrolls and began reading. "In the month of March, the Knights of Camelot were sent on four expeditions and completed daily training without fail. There were ten minor injuries, three serious injuries and no fatalities." Leon paused and read it again.

                Elyan forced himself to focus.  This was going to be a very long afternoon.

   ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________      

                                     

                Elyan yawned and a moment later Gwaine and Leon did the same.  The second six hour candle they'd lit that evening had burned into puddle of wax supporting a sorry little flame, a stack of plates sat on Leon's desk and his eyes were starting to sting just a bit.

                "I think this is probably as much as can be done tonight." Leon looked over a scroll "Elyan, you're right, don't try to commit weapons and armor sections to memory. You know it well enough to ad libitum. Gwaine, don't go out drinking for the next few nights."

                Gwaine's dark eyes met Leon's and the knight Captain held them with such firmness that the other man was forced to look away.

                "Very well I'll stay out of the taverns until after the report."

                "Report here immediately after practice tomorrow and we'll do it all again." Leon gave them a small encouraging smile.

                "I have a two o'clock fitting with Mr. Bloome," Elyan said.

                Leon looked thoughtful for a moment "Suit of clothes for Earl of Sussex's ball?"

                Elyan nodded.

                "Very well I'll see you here after the fitting and Gwaine can have my undivided attention for a couple of hours."

              "Great." Gwaine graced them with a grimace of a smile.

              The three men got to their feet and headed to their respective beds.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

          Bloome's shop didn't have many windows, but he made up for it with candles.  Candlelight glowed gently on wooden floors and benches polished gleaming with fragrant pine oil.  Elyan was not the only customer awaiting Bloome. Two young noblemen sat on another bench waiting. The knight had been friendly to them at first, but when they barely acknowledged him, Elyan had sunk into his own thoughts.

          "Sir Elyan," The tailor's youngest apprentice called him, voice cracking with adolescence.

           He rose and started toward Mr. Bloome's fitting room.

           "Just a moment, Sir Elyan" Bloome's assistant, Awstin a tall fellow with dull brown hair, seemed to appear from nowhere. "Mr. Bloome is quite busy with a large order and, as he does not wish to cause you any undue trouble has, advised me to recommend several alternatives."

           Elyan frowned, like the rest of the knights Bloome was his tailor.

           "He's too busy?"

           "Sir, he wants to be certain that your order is completed in a timely fashion and with the delay caused by the fabric shipment for the order, he couldn't possibly have your suit done in that time."

            "But I have an appointment for a final fitting today. Is he selling me a half-finished suit?" Elyan had been fitted for the new tunic, trousers and caplet for the occasion.  Arthur wanted them at the Earle's ball. He needed this suit.

            "Sir, I do apologize. Mr. Bloome is willing to accept the cost of the materials and has made several recommendations for tailors with whom you might have the garments completed."

            "Very well who are these other tailors?"

            The apprentice smiled and Elyan listened as the young man suggested four other tailors none of whom came close to Bloome. He was missing something.

            "What are you playing at?"

            "Beg your pardon, sir." The apprentice finally met his eyes and Elyan thought he caught the briefest hint of a smirk.

            "Beg my pardon." He rolled his eyes "You're playing at something. You and your master had plenty of time when I placed my order two weeks ago."

           "Yes sir, but that was two weeks ago sir."

           He said the last part with such emphasis that the young knight knew exactly what Awstin meant.

          "I see. Tell your master that I won't be needing anything from him and that if he chooses to turn away my business then he turns away the business of all the knights of Camelot."

        Awstin's smirk vanished "Just a moment sir, l-I just let me speak with my master, sir."

        "Right," Elyan crossed his arms and waited.  Several long moments passed and Awstin reappeared.

         "Makes my master no difference and besides," the assistant sneered, "I doubt someone like you speaks for all of the knights anyway."

         He felt his blood growing hot and his eyes narrowed.  Elyan told himself not to ring the assistant's neck.

         "Very well just remember I work with the king daily."

          Awstin's smirk turned into an arrogant grin. "I'm sure that might have meant something before."

          He wanted to smack the young man's smug face for the disrespect he was being shown. If he could he would have challenged the apprentice. Instead Elyan locked his eyes on the apprentice's, let his hand rest on the hilt of his sword and took a step toward the younger man. Awstin's grin vanished and the younger man inhaled sharply. It was Elyan's turn to smirk when the assistant took a step backwards, grey eyes wide and fearful.

          "I suppose we'll just have to see how things come out then."

          "I suppose we will, sir." Awstin's smirk returned as Elyan turned and strode away.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

               

            "Do we truly need to cover every injury?" Gwaine's objection reached his ears and Elyan felt the briefest of smiles. Gwaine was not simply unhappy with this assignment he was angry; about it.

             "Yes."

              "You give these old bastards too much of your time, Leon. Arthur should just be a tyrant like Caerleon."

              "I thought you hated Caerleon." Leon's reply echoed clearly through the weapons room and afternoon shadows danced across the sandy colored walls.

              "I do, but I doubt his knights had to answer to a bunch of paper pushers."

              "Leon, Gwaine," Elyan greeted the other two men as he reached office door.

             "Oh he looks pissed." Gwaine rocked backwards in his chair. "Suit not come out well?"

              "It was a fast fitting," Leon commented, expression concerned.

              "Not getting the suit from Bloome." Elyan stood looking at them and his hand brushed the hilt of his sword. "Bloome turned away my business."

             "What?" Leon stared at him and Gwaine's eyes narrowed. "Bloome turned away your business? The Knights of Camelot have always used Bloome."

             "I don't. Not anymore," Elyan said, "Apparently I'm not good enough for Bloome to wait on me.

             "Well what the hell happened?" Gwaine demanded.

              Elyan told the story in quick and simple terms.

              "You were quite right, Elyan," Leon said and he felt relief flood through him. "Turn away one of us and you turn away all of us. Unfortunate though, Bloome's is one of the best. I'll put out the order at tomorrow's practice and I'll have to cancel those cloaks. "  Leon sighed. "Did you get some lunch?"

              Elyan nodded.

              "Let's get to work then. Elyan, I need you to put aside your anger." Leon was silent for a moment as if weighing his next words. "There is more to this than meets the eye. The king is playing his cards close to his vest these days."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

              "Gwaine, Elyan." Merlin gave them a broad small smile. "Arthur asked me to meet you, have seat here." The manservant motioned to wooden bench beside the council chamber's doors. "You'll have a brief wait. Lord Gildas is going a little long on the tax report, the noble's are whining about the Famine tax break."

             "Another one of Gwen's ideas," Elyan sighed.

             The Famine Tax break would save the lives of hundreds of children and oldsters from farm families. The stores of Camelot were always open to its people in times of famine. However by the time the food stores were requisitioned and transported, hundreds would have died from starvation and famine related diseases. The Famine Tax break would allow for an immediate reduction in peasant taxes whenever harvests were under expected levels due to war, disease or natural disaster. The nobles were whining about the reduced tax as well the need for them to pay for educating peasant children out of their own purses, another of Gwen's ideas.

             Gwen had come to see him one afternoon glowing with pleasure to tell him about the new plan. She'd explained to Arthur that it was no good announcing new laws that benefited the common folk if they had to hear the announcements, understand them at the time and remember them besides. If they or their children could read, Arthur could have the new laws announced and posted for everyone. It would allow him to speak directly to his people and they would know exactly what their king was doing for them. Arthur had loved the idea; so had Elyan.

           He'd been so proud of her in that moment and he had told her "your queen-ship will glitter like the crown jewels". She'd only grown happier with the compliment and it had been the beginning of their mending fences. Now they were left with this mess of class warfare thanks to her. How could you be so stupid, Gwen?

          By the length of the shadows and brightness of the sun Elyan judged that that bit of a wait had been closer to an hour. What had passed in the council room while they sat in the hall cooling their heels neither man could guess, the heavy oak doors and stone walls let very little sound escape.

          The council room doors opened and Merlin beckoned them inside, his long face quite pale. Elyan felt a cold sweat break out on his palms as they crossed into the great vaulting chamber. If he had his choice he'd face Morgana's army of undead rather than present this report.

          "Before we come to Lord Troy and the Eastern noblemen's petition we have Sir Elyan and Sir Gwaine to give the knight's report this week."

           Elyan, son of Thomas the blacksmith, tended to notice everything when he was nervous- the length of shadows, the sound of a pin dropping, throats being cleared, dust motes in a sunbeam and the briefest smirk on the king's face as he lowered his head and coughed, eyes dancing ever so briefly over the aforementioned Lord Troy.

           So it was that he saw Lord Troy staring at them mouth hanging open before giving a pointed look at the Lord Payton. Something about the presence of the two knights upset both men. Elyan glanced at Gwaine wondering if the other man had noticed the two lords. His friend and fellow seemed to have fixed his gaze on the stained glass windows behind the king. Elyan told himself not to worry about the two noblemen; he had a report to give.

           Gwaine cleared his throat and started just as they'd agreed. The other man began to relax as he spoke, one hand resting comfortably in his hip where his sword hilt would be if he wore it.  Elyan tried to relax and listen to Gwaine, but his eyes kept drifting back to the king, Lord Troy and Lord Payton. He didn't look at them directly, but subtly from under lowered lids.  He caught Arthur looking at Lord Troy with the occasional smirk, while Lord Payton's narrow eyed gaze would land on Lord Troy when the king was looking elsewhere.  Lord Troy looked more and more tense with each moment and Elyan felt himself growing sorry for the man.

          Gwaine finished his report and Elyan began, his own nerves forgotten as he wondered at the unspoken exchange. He didn't forget any of his talking points and when they'd done, there were a few questions asked. The councilors seemed particularly interested in weapons and armor and Elyan was happy to answer for them. Neither Lords Troy nor Payton asked any questions though and he wondered at that. 

           "Gwaine, Elyan," the king interrupted the question, "please have a seat there. The knights can continue answering questions after Lord Troy has presented the Eastern noblemen's petition." He motioned toward a bench not far from the table.

           "Sire I do not-" Lord Troy seemed to jump in his seat and he shot a quick glance at Lord Payton.

            "Lord Troy?" The king looked at him questioningly.

             "I apologize sire. I am ready. This petition has been signed by the eastern Lords Mallory, Thomas, and  Winston- " There were more, but Elyan found his attention wandering. He did not know any of these eastern nobles. "It has quite recently become evident that those of common blood lack the nobility and understanding to hold true to oaths that they may take. It is the proposal of the aforementioned Lords that the knights Sir Gwaine and Sir Elyan be removed and replaced with two youths of noble blood under the traditional policies of the late King Uther." Lord Troy finished and resumed his seat at no time looking at either of the two knights.

                Gwaine opened his mouth as if to speak and Elyan rested a restraining hand on his friend's arm. He looked to the king and Sir Gwaine followed his eyes. Arthur seemed quite calm. He sat back in his chair not up, legs casually apart, fingers interlaced and hands resting loosely on his right thigh.

               "So it is your proposal that I replace two of my knights, two heroes of Camelot -tested and proven in battle- with your untried youths?" Arthur leaned forward now.

               "Sire, the youth are not untried. They are border bred, have seen raiding and bandits-"

                The king sniffed, "Bandits." He spat the word with a level of disgust that only Arthur could manage.

                "Sire, tradition-"

                 "Tradition!" Arthur smacked the table. "Tradition has seen many good men put out of the service of Camelot and treated unjustly.  Are you a fool Lord Troy? Would you see Camelot lose seasoned fighters in times of war? Let me remind you of this simple fact Lord Troy it is the prerogative of the king who serves as a knight and who does not," Arthur fixed the nobleman with an expression that was a mixture of incredulousness and disgust, the kind that always provoked Merlin into saying something he shouldn't.

                 Lord Troy muttered something under his breath and Elyan thought he heard the man say "-more than you."

                "What is it Lord Troy? Speak up."

                The man muttered again.

                "Come, come," Arthur rapped on the table with each word, "good sir, we are waiting. Please say what you mean and mean what you say."

                 It had never occurred to Elyan that the king might be irritating on purpose.

                "I said they cannot be trusted," The nobleman's face was red with frustration and anger and his words escaped in a heated rush, "just as Lancelot and the blacksmith's daughter could not be trusted! They are common for a reason and everything that we have seen indicates that no matter what good a commoner may accomplish sooner or later they must give into weakness and vile behavior."

               A hush fell over the council room, the only thing to be heard was Lord Troy's labored breathing.  Elyan's eyes along with everyone else's went to the king. The man was surprisingly calm; he must have been expecting this.

              "Ah," Arthur's voice was soft, "so while these good men may be guilty of nothing, you would have me replace them on the actions of others." Arthur appeared to think for a moment. "Perhaps I should decide all appointments based not on the actions of individuals, but based on the worst behaved members of their class?"

              Lord Troy shook his head negatively.

              "Of course not, sire."

              The king went on as if the noblemen hadn't spoken.

              "I wonder what noblemen I should select to serve council." Arthur looked away as if thinking. "Was it your nephew that had an affair with a peasant girl and when the girl became pregnant -which is no shame in and of itself- he denied her and feeling desperate the girl hung herself? Perhaps you should be replaced with a Lord from a cleaner family?"

              Lord Troy stared at the king expression horrified.

              "My sister, the witch Morgana, is of royal blood. She is guilty of practicing magic and enchantments perhaps. I am not fit to be king because of her."

              "No! I mean yes of course you are fit sire- I-"

               Arthur rose and leaned forward hands resting on the table and the anger stole over him, cool and steely. Elyan thought perhaps the room had grew colder. When he spoke his voice was low and serious and they all shrank back.

               "Do not seek to manipulate me in this manner. Speaking of Lancelot or the blacksmith's daughter is treasonous and if you do it again I shall have you flogged and your tongue cut-out and you won't have to worry about the rank of Sir Elyan or Sir Gwaine because I shall take the lands and titles that you hold and give them to these two men. Is that understood?"

              "Yes, sire."

               All was silent as the king's eyes turned on Lord Payton for the briefest a moment. The man had the sense to incline his head, but Elyan could see quite clearly that Lord Payton was the true enemy here.

               "Then we are done for the day."

               Arthur strode from the council room and it burst into tense, irritated chatter; more than one man uttered the name of Uther.

__________________________________________________________________________

                  Enid surveyed her little home satisfied that it was orderly and clean. In an hour perhaps less Dafyd would be home. Their little ones were at her sister's. She smiled at the thought of being alone with her husband all night. She thought suddenly briefly of Guinevere as she sometimes did.  Was her friend well, safe? Perhaps tomorrow would be the day that Elyan or Gwaine would report the receipt of a letter.

                 "Enid?" She looked up and saw Anne at her window a common thing. What was uncommon was Anne's miserable, dirty, tear-streaked face.

                 "Anne please come in. What has happened?"

                 "I've done something terrible!"

                Half-an-hour later the two women sat in silence. In her mind Enid was making a little list.

                 -Gwen

                  -Janet

                 -Mared

                -Lizette

               -Beth

              -and now Anne

Six affairs in three weeks, something was terribly amiss in Camelot.

 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N Thank you all for reading. I didn't expect to be this excited for the return of The Exile, but I wanted to post this yesterday at ten in the morning. :) I hope this chapter did not disappoint. I know Elyan is not the most popular character, I think he's been done a real disservice in Merlin and I hope most of you find my interpretation of Elyan at least sympathetic if not likeable. For those of you who love our girl as much as I do next week is all Gwen in Chapter 6: A New Life.  There is a new piece of artwork for The Exile, Chapter 5 posted over on my lj.As always comments and thoughts are more than welcome.I'd especially like to hear your thoughts on my interpretation of Sir Elyan. Thanks in advance for reading.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.