Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Guinevere contemplates Matilde's words and is forced to confront a mysterious and enigmatic stranger that has broken into the townhome.

 

Dear Chamber Readers- I forgot to post here the last time I updated The Exile, sorry. The good news is you guys get two chapters at once.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

As difficulties mount for King Arthur in Camelot Chapter 6, A New Life saw Guinevere settling into a new home and making new friends. However she also heard the words of prophecy from a chance meeting with a fortune teller called Matilde. Angered at the suggestion that she still had some part to play in Camelot's future Guinevere fled to her home.

 

 

 

The Exile

 

Part II, Chapter VIII

 

The Stranger

 

              Guinevere fought the wind all the way back to Ms. Alfonsa's. Twice the wind tore the heavy wooden door out of her grip before she finally pried it open. With the door open, Gwen threw herself inside before it could slam shut a third time. For one moment she rested soaked and shivering against wooden solidness of the door. The foyer was a dusk world without lamp or sunlight. She surveyed the shadowy room for a moment. The dull distant echo of rain could be heard thudding onto the roof and there was a close closed feel to the townhouse.

              The young woman slipped off her shoes and gathered her skirts up around her knees. The nice thing about living with only women was that you could run about in your chemise or carry your skirts above your knees with no one to criticize, complain or leer. The "female fortress" Ms. Alfonsa laughingly called it. The hallway loomed dark before her and Gwen ran for the kitchen trying to drip as little water as possible onto the floor.

She was no one's Queen just a fool.

Gwen entered the scullery through the kitchen, hung her surcoat and then dress on a line strung for that purpose. When the rain stopped she would hang both items outside. Her chemise and stays were mostly dry so she left those on. With her wet clothing hung, Gwen squeezed her dark curls into the scullery washtub and watched the water flow down the drain into a cutlet to be carried outside. She tugged at the laces on her stays. The young woman wore only a simple front lacing stay with just three ties that came loose with a tug. Stays loosened, Gwen felt instantly relaxed. She looked at her wet things with a sigh; it had been stupid to run away like that.

              "The choice of Guinevere," Matilde's words echoed in her thoughts.

              She wrenched the scullery door opened, strode into the kitchen and stopped to stand before the far counter thinking.

              Guinevere drummed her fingers on the dark wooden counter, here and there were scratches and nicks. She wondered briefly how old these counters were.

              "Choice," she muttered the word and froze as long shadow stretched across the room. She was not alone. Her eyes flicked to a shiny copper pot and Gwen saw the reflection of a strange red-haired man there.  She snatched up the copper pot and whirled in almost one motion.

              Cookware held before her like a sword, Gwen demanded answers. "Who are you? What are you doing here?"

              The stranger lifted his hands and took a step backwards. Like her, he was dripping water.

              "I'm a friend of Ms. Alfonsa's. She should be meeting me here soon. It was raining and the door was unlocked. I let myself in." The young man's eyes dropped briefly to her chest and loosened stays.

              "Likely story." Gwen brought her free arm across her chest to cover her semi-nude state and studied the red-head. He was tall and slim and young looking. Damp red hair was pushed back from a rather pretty face. Delicately curved brows arched over wide brown eyes, a regal nose, full rosy lips and chin that drew to a surprisingly narrow point for a man.

              "I truly am a friend of Ms. Alfonsa's and no threat to you. I am unarmed."

              The young man dropped his hands and pushed his green duster back to reveal narrow hips and a fancy white tunic embroidered with green and blue flowers.

              "Who are you?" Gwen asked not at all reassured.

              "I apologize miss," the young man bowed as elegantly as she had ever seen. "My name is Adras."

              "Adras?" Gwen lowered her weapon just a bit. Gwaine's sister? This man was awfully slim and pretty and Synove said Adras dressed like a man.

              The young man-woman- person in front of her smiled.

              "I knocked, no one answered and I didn't want to wait out in the rain. I figured I should probably hang up my coat in the scullery."

Guinevere looked at the puddle forming on the tiled floor at Adras' feet.

              "Very well go on then." She motioned toward the scullery with the pot. Adras kept his hands up and sidled into the scullery. Synove had said she'd meet Adras sooner or later. Was this Adras' also Gwaine's sister? Whoever he was he didn't seem dangerous but… Guinevere remembered the way he looked her up and down switched the pot for a knife.

              "Is that surcoat yours, it's really pretty?"

              "Thank you and its mine."

Adras' eyes went to the knife as he, she- stepped out of the scullery.

 "You really don't need that." He pointed at the knife Gwen held.

 Her only response was to frown and hold the weapon higher.

"First of all Guinevere or I suppose its Jenafere now-I am Ms. Alfonsa's guest. Second my brother Gwaine asked me to look out for you, third-"

In what seemed to be no more than the blink of any eye Adras had closed the distance between them and gotten the knife out of her hand. Guinevere stared, he-she, was so fast.

"And fourth Adras of Wyeledon at your service, I am much too chivalrous to hurt lady." The redhead bowed and extended the knife back to her hilt-first. Guinevere took it with a limp hand and set it on the counter, it certainly was no use to her.

              "I see."

 

Adras straightened a smile on her face.

"You're not going to grab anymore weapons are you?"

"No." Guinevere replied. "Make yourself comfortable. I'll be upstairs."

Not sure what else to do Guinevere went upstairs.  Alone she combed and braided her damp curls and pulled on a fresh kirtle. Dressed in dry clothing Gwen surveyed the room she shared with her housemates. She put away a hair brush that Synove had left out and smoothed Ylsa's bedding.  She knew she should probably go downstairs and talk to Adras, make sure she was comfortable and perhaps asks her about a job. But she would have to talk about her history.

Instead Gwen went to her cabinet and pulled out her satchel. Today was rent day. Ms. Alfonsa had left early that morning and Gwen had yet to pay for her fourth week at the townhouse. She surveyed the little purses of money. They were dwindling.  Guinevere pulled out a purse of coppers and dumped four on the bed. She put the purse and the remaining coppers back into the satchel and wedged her hand down to the bottom looking for and finding the reassuring thickness of her few pieces of gold. They were of course still there. Feeling some measure of safety at finding them Gwen put the satchel away. She had no real reason to believe they would be gone but she still liked to check on them from time to time. Gwen put the rent money in her pocket and went in search of something to occupy her mind.

 

              ___________________________________________________________________________

 

 Sadly Luisa was much too good at her job. Everything in the house was clean and orderly. Gwen found herself dusting things that didn't need dusting before deciding that the dining table needed an extra layer of polish.

"I-" Gwen jumped at the sound of the unexpected voice and heard Adras's warm chuckle.

 "I don't think I've ever seen a table given such thorough treatment. That’s going to have quite a glow to it by the time you're done. Oh and you might just offend Luisa."

Guinevere set the rag down and faced Adras.

"Why don't you join me?" She held up a plate of bread, cheese, nuts and black and red olives.

She did rather liked olives and Gwen suspected Adras must have brought them over because there hadn't been any before. Besides it would be one rudeness on top of another to refuse at this point.

Adras pushed the parlor door open and Guinevere entered. The other woman had laid out a game of solitaire and Gwen had a seat opposite Adras'. The redhead set the lunch tray on the table between them and returned to her seat. Feeling a bit hungry Gwen popped an olive in her mouth.

"Well, look at that. I was winning." Adras gathered the cards and began shuffling.

"What did your brother tell you about me?"

"So you are Guinevere then?"

"I prefer Jenafere but yes." Guinevere picked at her cotton skirt eyeing the intricate pattern of the rug. "What did Gwaine tell you about me?"

"Not much," that you were a wonderful, kind and caring woman, there was some trouble afoot and to please look out for you." I assumed the two of you were lovers, you're certainly pretty enough."

"No!" Guinevere declared.  Did everyone seem to think she was some kind of harlot? "Why would you think that? What'd he put in that letter?"

"Nothing, I just know my brother and I know how he is with an attractive woman, that's all. He didn't actually say anything about an affair."

Guinevere took a deep breath, "oh sorry."

"You've nothing to apologize for."

The lamplight flickered and Guinevere watched the progress of an ant across the leaves of the plant in the parlor corner while shadows danced along the gleaming wood paneling.

"Jenafere-"

"-Jen please."

"Very well Jen, My brother and I are quite close. I wouldn't have my son right now if it weren't for him. So if he asks me for a favor then I want to fulfill it." Adras' eyes were very sincere. "If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask."

"Thank you."

The two women lapsed into silence, Gwen listening to the steady staccato beat of rain on the rooftop.

"How long have you been in the city?"

"About three weeks." She said absently.

"I've been here for," Adras paused, "goodness, seven years now.  It's quite amazing. The merchants fancy it another Rome; they've finally finished their coliseum.  Lysistrata is playing there some nights and other days there are tournaments and bearing baiting."

Guinevere grimaced.

"Bear baiting does require a strong stomach. But Wyeledon is one of the most amazing cities in all of Britannia."

"Hmmm, I've yet to see much of it."

"Your housemates haven't shown you the city at all? I know Kerenza is always busy," Adras rolled her eyes, "but surely Ylsa or Synove…" Adras' voice had lost its slightly masculine tone.

"No." Gwen sat back in her chair, "they've been perfectly pleasant. It's just I lost most of my things and have had to spend my time making clothes. Then I'll be looking for a job. The other girls have offered to loan me their things but-"

"It's not the same."  The lamplight flickered across Adras' pale face and gleamed against her red curls. A smile lit her face. "You made the green surcoat hanging in the scullery?"

Gwen nodded.

"You're truly talented."

"Thank you."

"You said you needed a job right?"

"Yes." She ate another of the olives.

"Have you considered working as a seamstress?"

There was a hopeful look on Adras' face.

"I have actually."

"Perhaps you would do some work for me?"

Gwen considered that for a moment while Adras broke the small loaf of brown bread in half with slim elegant fingers.

"What do you need?"

"Pants. Madame Santiago does excellent work, but nothing like your surcoat. Perhaps you could take my measurements now."

Guinevere thought it over for a moment and headed upstairs for some twine. She had been looking for something to do and she did need income.

She measured Adras in thumblengths, stretching the twine alongside her thumb marking the woman's size with simple knots. First she measured Adras' waist and hips and then knelt on the rug to measure her inseam.

"Do you like these trousers that you're wearing now?" Guinevere tugged at the hem of Adras' pants they look rather a lot like a skirt actually.

"I like the color and fabric not the way that they fit."

"So you'd want something closer cut?"

"Exactly."

"A straight leg then," Guinevere gathered the fabric to demonstrate.

"You'd make something like that?" Adras' dark eyes were quite confused. "Don't you find it improper? Everyone else seems to."

Guinevere considered it for a moment "You're not paying me to have an opinion; you're paying me to make something that you'll like and will look good on you."

"Ah so if I wasn't paying then what would you think?"

Guinevere rose to her feet.

"Well a dress is considered appropriate" she paused a moment "but I have lived a rather inappropriate life myself. So who am I to tell others what is and is not appropriate especially when it's for something of as little consequence as clothing."

Adras looked at her rather seriously. "Jenafere I cannot imagine you as anything other than appropriate."

Gwen stood "I'm not certain if that is a compliment or an insult."

Adras laughed then "Compliment. I'll send a cart for you on Thursday and we'll have a few fabric merchants meet us there."  

"Thursday is fine but" Guinevere replied."I think we'd do better to shop at the market."

"At the market?"

"Yes. They charge you to come your house I'm sure and you don't get a complete selection. We really would do better to go to the market unless of course you'd rather not?"

Adras looked to be thinking it over for a moment and then shrugged "Very well, let us go to the market on Thursday morning."

"Hi Jen, Ms. Adras."

"Synove."

Guinevere looked over her shoulder and saw Synove standing in the doorway a frown on her plump pretty face, blue dress damp from the rain. She didn't see Adras smirk at the other woman.

"Hi! We didn't hear you come in. Sorry I ran off like that."

The other woman shrugged.

"Are Ylsa and Kerenza with you?

"Kerenza is upstairs," Synove folded her hands primly, eyes on Adras "Ylsa never rejoined us."

"Should we be worried?" Adras asked.

"Not yet. It's still raining a bit so she probably decided to wait a little longer."

"Very well," Guinevere started from the room "I've got to go and put these measures away."

____________________________________________________________________________

Ylsa stood in the doorway of their sleeping chamber hands in her pockets, rain soaked dark hair shrunk into a short woolen cap. Jenafere sat under the window head bent rather studiously over yet another dress. After Jen had run off she and Matilde had sat talking for a bit and she did not like what Matilde had told her. Ylsa studied the mural round the fire place for a moment. The angels' dark brown eyes stared back at her. She took a deep breath.

"Are you well Jen?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Jen answered without looking up.

"A visit with Matilde can be very distressing."

"False fortune telling is not worth the time it takes to say it."

Ylsa took in her friend's intense concentration, her studied attention to the work in her hands.

"Maltide's fortunes are often helpful."

"It’s a shame the rain ruined our outing. I would have loved to have seen the ocean."

Ylsa sighed and looked at the hair clip; it's going to catch up with you sooner or later. The mid-wife walked to her cabinet and put the clip with her own hair ornaments.

"You will love the ocean. The next time the weather is nice we absolutely must go. Um Jen?"

"Yes?" She finally looked up from her work.

"I know you're busy but do you think you might help me braid up my hair?"

She smiled then "Sure."

"I haven't missed dinner have I?" Ylsa asked that as Jen set aside the dress, she hated missing meals.

"No." Ylsa heard the suppressed laughter in Jenafere's voice and shrugged.

It didn't take at all long for the two women to get Ylsa's wet hair into a pile of simple braids. Just as they were finishing, Luisa called them for dinner.

The household was neither large nor wealthy. Luisa set the table before dinner and ate with them. Adras and Ms. Alfonsa had been closeted in the older woman's study since she returned with Father Flaejer in tow. Now both guest joined them for dinner, Ms. Alfonsa at the head of the table Father Flaejer on her right, Adras on her left. Firelight from beeswax candles cast a gentle glow over the dining room.

              "So Ms. Jeni how are you settling in?" Father Flaejer asked.

              "Very well actually, my housemates and I get along quite well and Ms. Alfonsa has been especially helpful."

              "Thank you Jen." Ms Alfonsa said "We're actually rather glad you sent her to us father." The older woman patted the priest's arm affectionately. "Jen is bright and friendly-"

              "-And pays her rent on time," Kerenza looked pointedly at Ms. Alfonsa when she said this.

              "She does." Ms. Alfonsa said unapologetically and the dinner conversation moved along.

              Ylsa told some funny stories about some of her deliveries. Kerenza talked about her master's most recent attempts to turn lead into gold and Synove provided the gossip. When the conversation went silent toward the end of the meal Father Flaejer turned to her again.

              "Have you found work yet?"

              "Adras has given me a job. It's not permanent work but it's a beginning."

              "Doing what?"

              "She's going to make me some pants."

              "Of course," Father Flaejer chuckled and sipped his wine.

              "Jen," Kerenza said, "I know you were worried about your references and all. I told Mr.Leufrid a bit about your situation. He offered to talk Mr. Theobauld about a position. He thinks Mr. Theobauld would take you without references."

              "What's the job?"

              Kerenza made a face, "Maid."

              Unexpected revulsion pulsed through her with the word maid and Gwen could tell by the way everyone looked at her it must have shown on her face.

"Uhhhh-"

"-forget I suggested it Jen," Kerenza said.

              "Listen ladies have any of you had meazlies or small pox?" Father Flaejer asked

              Guinevere, Ylsa and Adras volunteered that they had had both as children. While Synove claimed only smallpox and Kerenza stated that she had had neither.

              "Then you all had better stay out of the port district. There are a few cases of meazli there and one household has been quarantined already."

              "How horrible," Synove remarked.

              "Well Physician Leonard will be paying a visit there to explain the proper treatment for disease to the parents there. If it is treated properly many lives can be saved."

              "That's kind of Leonard but then he is a special kind of man." Ylsa remarked and all eyes shifted in her direction.  "Most physicians think themselves too good for the common folk."

Guinevere caught a small knowing smile on Adras' face and the older woman winked at her.

              "Ylsa that's not true they have to follow the word of their employers it's not their fault if their Lords don't let them attend the people." Synove declared and Ylsa rolled her eyes.

              Guinevere thought briefly of Gaius. Uther and then Arthur had never kept the elder physician from treating the common folk and giving lectures just like the one Father Flaejer had described. But Synove was right; they were at the beck and call of their employers and not all men were brave enough to insist on helping the commoners.

              "You can't fault people for holding onto their positions," Kerenza remarked and Ylsa snorted. Luisa began clearing the table and Ms. Alfonsa requested Synove play for them.

Synove went to collect her lute and everyone retired to the parlor. The dinner conversation continued for a bit while Synove tuned her lute. When she began the first chords of a familiar and lively tune, Father Flaejer asked Ms. Alfonsa for a dance and she consented. Ylsa and Kerenza decided to partner up and that left Gwen with Adras.

It was not at all strange for women to dance partner dances together. But Adras was not like a woman. She dressed like a man, carried herself like a man, talked like a man and even took the lead in the dance like a man. When Adras dipped her, Gwen felt very confused indeed. Synove played two more songs and pleaded weariness. Kerenza got a box from the cabinet in the far corner and a deck of cards.  Seven was too many for most games.

"Cards and parchisi," Kerenza smiled.

"You and that dog-gone parchisi," Synove took the card deck from Kerenza. "Bid whist Gwen?"

"Parchisi is my favorite game actually." She smiled at Kerenza "I'll take the blue pieces."

"So we know what game Gwen is playing." Kerenza said as she sat the box on one of the two tables.

"I'll be yellow." Adras said "Ylsa you'll be green of course."

"Of course," Ylsa said "and Kerenza takes red."

Ylsa and Adras say side-by-side while Father Flaejer, Synove and Ms. Alfonsa started their card game.

"We have a full game for once." Kerenza smiled and started setting up the board.  They had perhaps an hour of gaming before Ms. Luisa ushered in a brown haired girl no more than twelve years of age with wide desperate eyes that focused almost instantly on Ylsa.

Breathless the girl spoke, "My mother-"

"-Is in labor," Ylsa finished with a sigh and the girl nodded as Ylsa got to her feet. "Shit! She's in early labor isn't she?"

The girl nodded and the two of them ran from the room.

They played a few more hands of Bragg but when the hour candle burned down to nine Adras and Father Flaejer both rose.

"It's that time then?" Ms. Alfonsa looked at Father Flaejer, her dark eyes and narrow and serious, beringed hands folded primly in her lap.

"Yes." Adras' voice was quite low.

"Come I'll show you both out."

"Good night ladies." The priest gave them a small smile. "I hope we can enjoy another equally pleasant evening in the near future."

Gwen watched Father Flaejer take Ms Alfonsa's arm and felt the tug of a small smile at the possibility of a romance between the two. A moment later Adras caught her eye and she saw that the redhead was smiling at the sight as well.

"It was a pleasure meeting you Jenafere." Adras said.

"Likewise."

"Kerenza it was lovely to see you again. The next time I visit, you must tell me about your work with Mr.Leufrid."

Kerenza nodded. "I'd be happy to."

"Goodnight Synove." Adras nodded in direction.

"Goodnight Ms. Adras." 

Adras took herself from the room and Guinevere turned back to her housemates.

Synove blew out a breath.

"I'm worried about Ada's mother." Synove declared as Kerenza began shuffling the cards.

"When was she due?" Gwen sat down at the table.

"She is delivering more than a month early," Synove said.

Gwen grimaced.

"I wouldn't worry," Kerenza said.

Guinevere stared at Kerenza. They may not have known Ada's mother but a month or more early surely meant ill. The babe surely could not survive and there was always risk in delivery when a pregnancy progressed normally an early delivery held still more risk for the mother.

"Kerenza, I don't understand you at all." Guinevere looked askance at her housemate.

The russet haired girl began dealing the cards and she spoke without looking up.

 "Ylsa has never lost a mother or child in labor."

 


 

              Guinevere forced her eyes open and lay still. She could see the bandit's cold green eyes clear as day. She'd fought him in her dream as she had in life but the bear never came. Instead he'd torn open her blouse, arm pressed against her throat so that she could barely breath. She'd forced herself awake then. The pale grey light of false dawn poured through the window casting a wan glow across their bedroom. Synove murmured in her sleep and Kerenza soft snoring whistled through the room. Ylsa's bed was still empty.

              Gwen turned her head at the sound of the door opening. In the pre-dawn dimness she identified Ylsa' s tiny frame in the doorway just as the other woman began moving across the room.

              She heard the door open and saw the midwife standing there. Ylsa put her bag on top of her cabinet, pulled off her dress and draped it on one of the room's two chairs. A moment later she threw herself on the bed still in her chemise and stays.

              "The mom and baby are they well?" Gwen whispered.

              "Yeah."

Ylsa faced her and Gwen could see the subtle reflection of light off Ylsa's white teeth, the other woman was smiling.

"They were in a bad way but praise god I was able to help them. I'll have to see them at least once a day for a while. The little one will need lots of attention but I think they will both be well."

"Kerenza said you never lost a patient."

"She's exaggerating. Did I wake you?"

"No."

"Couldn't sleep?"

Gwen shuddered, "nightmare."

"Oh, what about?"

"A bandit was…accosting me."

"Ooohhhh."

Ylsa was silent for a while.

"Sometimes I hate men."

Gwen surprised herself by saying "Me too."

"And I hate people who wake me up from sleep in the middle of the night," Kerenza's complaint seemed to come from nowhere.

"Sorry." Both women said in unison.

"I'm too wound up to sleep." Ylsa said in a loud whisper.

"I don't want to go back to sleep." Gwen replied.

"Scoot over."

Gwen did and the tiny woman got out of her bed and lay down beside her. It had grown cool in the night and they snuggled together whispering to one and other while the pink and orange light of the rising sun filled the room dispelling shadows and bringing with it a relaxing warmth.  The sunlight filled the room playing over the soft white crochet bed spread, highlighting Guinevere's black curls and Ylsa's dark shoulder length braids. A gentle breeze stirred the thin curtain hanging over the window. Ylsa relaxed and in the light of the morning sun, Guinevere's nightmare faded. Side-by-side, soft cheeks pressed together, with the dawning of the new day the two women drifted into sleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N- celibacy was not required of catholic priest for a number of years and there were popes, cardinal and bishops that had wives or lover and sometime even fathered illegitimate children.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.