Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Excuse-moi for any grammatical horrors or spelling mistakes. This chapter shows a different side of Allegra. I'll post the next one as soon as I read it again. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 10 – Family ties and Jealousy

“You do realize that your sister didn’t mean what she said, right?” Allegra asked with concern after half an hour in the car.

I was driving us to where the wedding was taking place: a nice Victorian building in the outskirts of New York City.

I sighed exasperatedly “Can we talk about something else, please?”  I spared a glance at her before getting focused on the road once again.

“Okay.” I could see her rolling her eyes with the corner of my eye.  “So…you followed my advice.”

“What advice?” I inquired. Was she normal? What was she trying to get at? I was already tired. I didn’t want to talk at all and if in any other occasion I would have loved discussing with her, I just didn’t feel like chatting.

“I said to you that you needed to get laid. You did get laid. Congratulations!” I could literally feel that something was off when she said so. A veiled of bitter sarcasm seemed to be present in her ‘congratulations’.

I shrugged. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Are you planning on seeing her again?” she seemed nervous. Why?

“Probably. On a strictly friendly basis, I think.”

“Oh. But this still has the potential of becoming something more. I mean you seemed to have enjoyed her company. You could tell from the environment.” She stared at her nails as she was talking, with an air of non-chalance that she sported when she cared about something but didn’t want people to know.

“What are you worried about?” I genuinely wanted to know what was going on in her head.

“Pff. Why should I be worried?” she nervously laughed. She avoided my stare.

I braked at the red traffic light.                     

“Is there something wrong?” I was concerned now. Was she hiding something from me?

“I…I am just stunned. I thought you didn’t want to get laid because you had feelings for someone and then you go and have sex with a stranger.”

“I needed sex, I was drunk. I mean I did know what I was doing and I feel guilty about it because I did not respect the feelings I have for…the woman I am in love with. I behaved like a hormonal teenager. That’s all.” I explained myself, even though I had no clue of why I was doing so.

“Fine.” She whispered in an unsatisfactory tone. “I thought we could do something next weekend.”

“Like?”

“Baking. I got this new recipe and I want to try it out. Will you help me?”

“Sure.” I smiled at her genuinely.

 

The wedding had been a complete success. The bride, Stella, was absolutely stunning in her ivory sleeveless dress. The ceremony had been really emotional especially when the bride and groom said their vows. Their declarations of love for each other had brought Allegra to tears. She was a softy after all.

While I was following the ceremony I was daydreaming about a future day when Allegra and I were going to get married. Instead of Stella walking down the aisle, Allegra would be coming towards me in an amazing white simple but incredibly detailed dress. I would be the one getting married. We would have a fantastic reception surrounded by family and friends and then we would leave for the honeymoon, possibly in Japan or Italy where I would lead her to our hotel suit, carrying her over the threshold and make love to her until her voice was hoarse.

“I’m tired.” Allegra whispered in my ear as she was sitting next to me at the table that was reserved to us. I shivered.

“Me too.” I whispered back.

The ordeal was almost over. Mr. and Mrs. Parker had already left and now the remaining guests were mingling around to get some extra food or just hang out.

“Tell me about your father.” She requested, out of the blue.

“I don’t really consider him as my father. He’s a bit of a sperm donor to me.” I grimaced. “He’s just annoying, and he seems to find amusement in hurting my feelings and constantly humiliating me. He’s never really happy when I succeed, so he always finds a way to criticize what I do.” I sighed. “I loved working for your father. I would have worked there forever, but father dearest had do demand that I worked for the family business. He threw the mum card by saying that my mother would have liked me to work for the family. He hates me.”

“Oh Christopher, that might not be true, you know?” she tried to comfort me, to no avail.

“Trust me on this. He hates me.” I shrugged. “But you know what? It happens. Sometimes parents have children that they cannot stand to see the sight of. It’s okay. I will survive.” I gave her a small smile.

“Your sister loves you, Fitzie. She really does. She was just mad at you. Don’t let her words get to you.”

“They already got to me, and I cannot do much about it. I can’t forget what she said. She sided with him even though she knows and she had seen the constant verbal abuse I have to endure. I don’t even know if I can forgive her.” I stated firmly. “Let’s go, Allegra. It’s late and I don’t really want to fall asleep whilst driving.” I stood up and held my hand out for her. She took it in hers and we walked hand in hand out of the wedding reception and to my car. Electricity, that’s what I felt, and butterflies.

I felt better after talking to her. She was just really easy to talk to. I couldn’t seem to understand how I had opened up to her so easily when it had taken me ages to open up to my therapist.

Allegra was special. I loved her. I just could keep hoping that someday she would love me too.

 

“Laurence, stop! Give me back my phone.” I was now fully irritated. Laurence could be such a kid. We were all having dinner at Laurence’s apartment.

“Who’s that?” he asked in a sing-song voice. “Isobel?” he inquired confused? “Isn’t she the girl that you hooked up with?”

Allegra who had been laughing until then became suddenly serious. Giselle looked at her oddly.

“Yeah, she is.” I answered. “Can I now please get my phone back?”

He handed it to me without making a fuss out of the whole situation. He was keeping his promise to be just a friend and not match-making Laurence.

I answered the call and stood up and got in a corner of the room. “Hey Isobel.”

“Hi Chris. How are you doing?” I could hear the smile in her voice as she was greeting me.

“I’m doing great, thanks. I’m having dinner with a few friends. How about you?”

“Nothing much, really. I’m watching a marathon of Johnny Depp films on television.”

“Oh yes. Your obsession for that man.” I laughed.

Over the weeks I had kept in contact with Isobel and she was a great friend. She was an economic trends analyst at an investment bank. And she was so fun that I actually loved spending time with her.

“Don’t mock Johnny. You know that I will stop talking to you for a few hours if you say anything against his acting abilities.”

“Sorry. I won’t offend your sensibility, dear woman. Well why did you call?”

“Can’t I call a friend when I want to?” she asked with fake innocence. She was a terrible liar.

“Of course you can, dearest Isobel. However, I know that you wanted to ask me something.”

“Do you want to come over, tomorrow? I’m throwing a party and I wanted to know if you would like to come? You can bring as many friends as you like. Bring Allegra too. I want to get to know the woman who stole your heart.” She snickered in the end.

I sighed in fake exasperation. “I’ll ask some of my friends if they want to come, and I’ll try to force her to come. Happy?”

“Of course, Mr. Fitzwilliam. The party starts at 8 pm, and is at the beach house. Do you have the address?”

“Yes, I do.” I reassured her.

“Cool. Now I have to go, commercial time is over! Bye!” she hung up and left me no opportunity to reciprocate her salute.

“Done.” I said as I took my seat back at the table.

“You’re growing awfully close to this Isobel.” Allegra noted after swallowing down some salad.

“She’s fun.” I answered simply.

“Uh.” She observed. What was her problem? I didn’t get her at all.

“Oh by the way she is throwing a party tomorrow and she asked me to bring some friends. Are you up for it?”

“Yeah, sure.” Giselle said.

“I’m coming.” Laurence stated happily.

“Allegra?” Giselle tried to gain her attention.

“Sure.” She said flatly. She didn’t seem to be in the right spirit to attend a party.

“Perfect. The party is taking place at her beach house.”

Allegra rolled her eyes. “Do you plan on dating her?” she asked uncertain. Her voice hid controlled irritation, anger even? What was wrong with her?

“No. She’s just a wonderful friend.” I answered her question, a bit annoyed by her attitude.

She rolled her eyes. “We know. You told us like a hundred times.” She snapped.

“Sorry.” I snapped as well. I was fed up with her attitude. Every time Isobel came up she got frustrated, annoyed, irritated. She didn’t even know her! “I will refrain from boring you.” I said sarcastically.

She sighed deeply. “What is your problem, Fitzwilliam?”

“No. The question is what is your problem, Carter? You’re so irritable and annoyed at me for some reason. Is it your time of the month or something? I don’t understand you.” I was completely clueless. I couldn’t understand what her problem was at all. I wanted to know what was bothering her, but she always avoided answering. She even avoided me.

“Yeah. It’s the time of the month.” She said feebly. I didn’t believe her at all. Liar.

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever.”

“Whatever?” she repeated stunned of my dismissive attitude.

“Yes, whatever, Allegra. Keep lying to me. I don’t get you. You avoid me and when we have to meet up you always cancel at the last minute. Did I do something to upset you? If that’s the case, tell me! I thought we were friends. What happened?” I was hurt by how she was treating me lately. For the past few weeks she had been giving me the cold shoulder. It seemed as if she had taken a few steps back and reverted to hating me.

“You see things that are not there, Fitzwilliam.” She stated coldly.

“The fact that you call me Fitzwilliam already tells me that you are lying and that there is something wrong.” I spat.

“Guys, calm down.” Giselle intervened. She looked worried.

“Tell him to calm down.” Allegra answered. “You are delusional, Christopher. I’m not mad at you.” The last sentence was said through gritted teeth.

“Whatever.” I stood up from my seat. “I’m going. Call me when you start acting like an adult, Allegra. See you all tomorrow at the party. I’m going to text you the destination, Laurence. Allegra I’ll pick you up at 3 p.m.”

I didn’t give her the chance to object. I just turned around and left.

 

“Chris, talk to me, please.” My sister pleaded. She sat down next to me on the sofa and I just stood up to avoid her. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean what I say.” She sighed.

I didn’t even look at her.

“Will you keep ignoring me? I said I’m sorry! What do I have to do, beg for your forgiveness?!” she asked exasperatedly.

I put my running shoes before looking at her. “No, Kirsten. You don’t have to beg. You don’t even have to ask for my forgiveness. It’s all up to you.” I said softly.

“Really?” she asked surprised. She smiled big.

“However, I can’t forget what you said to me. I think that it is best for us not to live together. I found you a nice apartment three blocks away from the UN headquarters.” I explained coldly.

“Are you telling me to move out? You’re basically throwing me out on the street?” She looked at me incredulously. I could see her eyes welling with tears.

I felt a bit guilty. Just a little bit. “Technically I am making your life easier. You won’t have to commute anymore, and I will be paying your rent, so you don’t have to worry about asking your father for money.” I said coldly. No compassion in my words.

“Why are you doing this, Chris?” her face was now wet with her tears.

I shrugged. “If I don’t recall wrong, I am just a heartless person who doesn’t deserve people’s affection.” I tried to hide the hurt in my voice but I wasn’t really good at it.

“Oh, Chris...” she sighed. “If I could take those words back, I would. I don’t think what I said. I was upset, because I want you to be happy in life, and I know you will be with Allegra. I exaggerated in every possible way, by trying to control your love life. I shouldn’t have done that, and I’m sorry. But you’re my brother, and I love you so much that it hurts to know that I messed things up.”

“I have to go. I’ll see you later.” I told her. I took my keys, and went for a run. I had a long day ahead of me. Isobel’s beach house party was that night, and I was going to talk to Allegra on our drive there.

She had been weird. I really needed to find out what was wrong with her.






Chapter End Notes:

But why is Allegra acting like this? Why can't Chris sees the reason why? I guess he's just too blind and low on self-esteem to see what Allegra seems to be showing....next chapter up soon!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.