Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Even Lovers Drown CH 13

 

The president leaned forward, looking into the camera; Olivia felt as though he were looking into the buried depths of her heart.

 

“So this is what I say to those who have kidnapped Americans who sought nothing more than to do good in your country - the next step is yours. At this point, your choices will determine our response. I ask you now - to choose carefully and wisely.”

 

She heard the pride and strength in his voice.  He was everything that she had ever wanted him to be as a president. Everything that made him who he was was pushed aside as she watched him walk off of the podium.

 

In the midst of all her tangled emotions, Olivia felt her heart swell with loving pride. This was her president, this was America’s president. This was the man she’d believed in from the first time she’d gotten to know who he really was. This was the man who was more than worthy to lead his country forward.

 

He was the man she’d fallen utterly and totally in love with and who still held her heart in his hands. Olivia suspected that he always would. Even if it meant that there would always be a void in her soul where she needed him to be.

 

He was gone. Forever. And it was time she accepted that fact, not only in her mind, but in her heart.

 

//**//

 

One night a short time later, Olivia was still doing her best to drown her sorrows in work. She stayed late in the office, doing paperwork she could have easily finished up at home, but trying instead to work herself to the point that she would arrive home too tired to do anything else but sleep.

 

She let her associates handle the rest of the operations; Olivia found herself wanting to neither see to talk to anyone unless it was absolutely necessary.

 

As she drove herself home that night, she remembered that she needed to make a stop to replenish her wine stock. Glancing at the clock, she saw that she had just enough time to make it to one of her favorite wine specialty shops that was also close to hon the way before they closed.

 

The store owner greeted her personally, made a few recommendations, knowing her tastes and then - knowing his customer - discretely let her be.

 

Olivia spent a few moments looking over the wines, trying to decide what she was in the mood for. She was planning on trying some garlic butter on her popcorn tonight; maybe she should ask someone what went well with garlic. She smiled to herself at the thought.

 

“That’s what I’ve been looking for - a friendly smiling face to save me!”

 

His voice was unfamiliar. But definitely male. And nice. Olivia turned around to see who it belonged to. Who it belonged to looked very nice indeed. He had some military in him, resulting in a lithe, smoothly muscled frame. A strong face with carved features and full lips. Without realizing it, her smile lingered on her face in response to his.

 

“Excuse me?” she asked.

 

“I’m sorry if I look like I’m bothering you.” he said, moving closer. “I promise, I’m harmless.”

 

He looked around, spreading his hands in mock despair. “To tell the truth, I’m not only harmless, I’m helpless!”

 

Olivia couldn’t help but laugh. He was being outrageous on purpose. But she liked it. Olivia realized that she hadn’t laughed out loud in a very long time.

 

We deserve some fun.  Abby’s voice echoed in her head.

 

Maybe Abby was right.

 

“Tell me that you’ll help me in my wine choice.”

 

“You could always ask the people that work here - that is their job you know.”

 

“And betray my utter ignorance for all the world to see?” Are you as cruel as you are beautiful?” His eyes sparkled with mute appeal.  “Tell me you aren’t.”

 

It came to her with a little bit of shock that he was flirting with her.“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...” she said, while trying to accept the fact of his obvious interest.

 

“Jake.” he said, hearing the question in her voice. “My name is Jacob, but you can call me Jake. And trust me when I tell you that I am definitely beholding beauty. Beauty, I know. Fine wines, I don’t.”

 

She noticed that he was carefully standing outside of her personal space. Noted and appreciated it. Because of that, Olivia relented.

 

“Well, Jake - what is it that you’re looking for?”

 

“Unexpected guests that have a preference for red wine, but there are so many - I have no idea where to begin. Except with this - you know that I’m Jake and you’re—?”

 

He was amusing and charming and he knew it. “Liv.” she told him, surprising herself. “You can call me Liv.”

 

“Liv.” he said her name slowly, as if tasting it on his lip. “I like it - it’s lovely and no nonsense - just like you.”

 

“And how would you know that I’m no nonsense?”

 

“Call it a sixth sense. I can tell just by looking in your eyes.” he answered her question with another engaging grin.

 

“Enough already,” Olivia said as she laughed again. “I said I would help you so you can stop with the snow-job now.”

 

“Stop? Hardly? I’ve only just begun.” He laughed along with her;  He might truly be in need of help in choosing a wine, but his eyes told Olivia that his admiration and attraction to her as a woman was very, very real.

 

Maybe that’s what she needed, after being cocooned away from real life, caught like fly in a spiderweb in her and Fitz’s web of drama and desire. A little bit of normal just might be what the doctor ordered - and she’d be lying to herself if wasn’t finding this harmless flirting refreshing.

 

It was so much so refreshing that she spent the next little while giving Jake a mini-lesson in choosing wines. At her suggestion, they also chose a small selection of cheeses to compliment them. If he were entertaining, then two or three bottles of wine wasn’t going to be enough.

 

At the same time, Olivia wasn’t about to reveal her own predilection for red wine and gourmet popcorn. Some things were better left unsaid.

 

At long last, they were approaching the counter. Olivia took a moment to point to a sign that announced a wine tasting event scheduled for next week.

 

“If you are serious about learning about wine - you should come to one of their wine tasting events. There’s always someone to give a little speech about the variety being presented and that way you can learn what you like - instead of depending on the kindness of strangers.”

 

“Thanks to the kindness of strangers, it seems I lucked out big time.” Jake said. “And since you’ve been so helpful, I’ll do exactly that - if you promise to meet me here next Friday.”

 

Olivia hesitated. She wasn’t accustomed to meeting strange men in stores, no matter how upscale they might be.

 

It was as if he read her mind. “How much more harmless can a wine-tasting be? This way you get to spend a pleasant evening getting to know me before we go out on our first date.”

 

Olivia lifted an eyebrow at his statement. “Our first date?”

 

He grinned at her and Olivia had to admit that it was a very nice one. It went well with the open yet mischievous look in his eyes. They weren’t quite the shade of blue she was used to, though.

 

That fact hit her with a pang. Olivia did her best to push any thoughts of those other blue eyes away. It was much easier to listen to Jake’s attempts to convince her to see him again.

 

“Well, this hardly counts - this is merely an introduction to what I hope will be the start of a beautiful friendship.”

 

By now, it was their turn at the register and the cashier began ringing up their purchases. Olivia was about to separate her order from his when he stopped her. “The least you can do is let me pay for that, after all the help you’ve been.”

 

He insisted until she gave in.

 

“Thank you.” Jake said. Before he paid the bill, he asked the cashier for a piece of paper and a pen. He scribbled something on it and handed it to her.

 

Olivia looked down to see his name and a phone number written on the scrap of paper. She looked back up at him. “You don’t have a business card?”

 

“Not for dates.” he told her. “If something comes up-  like work or something -  and you can’t make the wine tasting, this way you can call to apologize and then figure out a way to make it up to me.”

 

Olivia shook her head. He was unbelievable. “I make no promises either way.”  she told him as she picked up her bag.

 

“But I will see you next Friday, right? Tell me you can’t resist the mystery.”

 

“Goodbye Jake - good luck with your unexpected guests.”

 

“I’ll let you know how it all turns out. See you next week, Livvie.”

 

Shaking her head, Olivia got in her car and headed for home.

 

“Well, that was fun.” Thinking of Abby’s words to her, Olivia said the words aloud.  Maybe she’d been right - maybe she deserved some fun. In spite of herself - in spite of him - Olivia smiled once more.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.