Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Even Lovers Drown CH 35

 

After Shireen leaves and the others have scattered to handle their assignments, Olivia returned to her office, closing the doors silently behind her. The downpour has been growing steadily heavier since the mid-morning, accompanied by soft rumbles of thunder in the distance.

 

She tried focusing on the newsfeeds in front of her, but the sound of the rain was insistent and unceasing, driving her mind back in time to places she didn’t know that she was ready to remember. Finally, she surrendered to the memories, her gaze going as soft and unfocused as the clouds beyond her windows...

 

Start flashback

 

“This is going to be one mother of a storm - and she’s bringing the kids with her, so the events for this weekend are effectively shut down as of now.” That was Cyrus, sounding totally disgruntled -  his usual manner when things didn’t go his way.

 

He was frustrated - again, as usual. Just as his candidate’s numbers were rising, Mother Nature decided to step in and play a part. He was not appreciative.

 

For once, Olivia couldn’t be sure if she agreed with him or not. At this point, maybe they all could use the break. Fitz’s numbers were improving, but not nearly as much as any of them would like and the strain was starting to tell.

 

“Hopefully, everyone got the four-thirty AM text messages. Thanks to Gov. Grant, we’ve managed to charter a few private train cars to take off for more populated areas, as well as arrange for your hotel stays.”

 

Applause filled the space as Fitz himself stepped up to the front of the room. Olivia paused from her data research to look up at him, careful to keep her pleasure from showing. Even so, a small smile danced at the corner of her lips, one to match his own.

 

Among his own people, Fitz looked much more relaxed and less like the successful, rich politician that he was. There was no missing him in a crowd, however; not with the height he had, not with the amazingly still fit body that carried itself so effortlessly with grace and power.

 

Her eyes couldn’t help but linger over the silhouette of his well muscled arms and shoulders and she smiled again to remember the amazing strength and gentleness that was in them when she was wrapped in his arms.

 

“You all have done such a wonderful job,” he was saying. “I’m not going to look at this as a delay in our moving forward, but as a well-earned respite.”

 

Fitz paused and a laughing, wicked look came into his eyes. “I did mention that on each train leaving, one of those chartered cars is a hospitality car -with heavy hors  d'oeuvres - didn’t I?”

 

More cheers. Olivia leaned forward unconsciously, know what she would see next.

 

Fitz and his undeniable, totally honestly-worn charm.  His smile burst out over them like a beam of sunshine.  He lifted his hand as though it held a glass.

 

“And...an open bar.”

 

The thunder inside the room came close to rivaling that outside the hall.

 

“Enjoy yourselves, everybody - and thanks again!” Fitz waved at everybody and began to move away from the center of the space. He grinned and joked with those closest to him and his happiness was evident. He liked these times best, and Olivia knew it. She smiled, happy for him.

 

Cyrus raised his voice in order to bring the attention back to him. Olivia returned most of her attention back to the figures on her screen.

 

“So there you have it, little boys and girls. It’s early recess time, so make nice and let’s all play well together.”

 

Cyrus continued to talk loudly as the crowd began buzzing, calling out the names of team leaders and some other who held prominent duties to the grassroots levels. Break or not, they’d have a few concerns to keep in mind.

 

  Cyrus was finishing up. “We might as well make the best of it. I want everyone to take the weekend off. Recharge. We’ll start off fresh on Monday morning - Dad -” referring to himself. “Dad will even let you sleep in so don’t show up until eleven, we’ll do lunch and then I’ll want to see some new ideas.”

 

Olivia started shutting down her workstation while she wondered what she could find to fill the time. Which train car should she pick? There might be a near-by spa retreat. Downtime or not, she knew she would be working either way, but she could do it in luxury and spoil herself a little at the same time. She smiled to herself.

 

All around her, the hall began to buzz as everyone started to discuss what they were going to do with this unexpected bonus free time.

 

Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Olivia looked up in surprise to see Fitz standing over her. He gestured once with a tilt of his head and after snatching up her laptop, she followed him out into the hallway.

 

Olivia was startled when Fitz took her hand and pulled her behind him, his long strides taking them quickly out of the hall and into the lobby. He tossed her a navy hoody jacket, similar to the one he was wearing.

 

“What are you doing?” she finally managed to get out as Olivia slipped into the hoody.

 

Fitz flipped the hood up over her head, taking a moment to let his fingers trail along her cheeks. His eyes dropped to hers and as always, Olivia felt a little flutter in her pulse when he grinned at her a certain way.

 

Just. Like. That.

 

“What are we doing, is the correct question.”

 

Before she could voice that question either, before she could realize what was happening, they were running outside, the rain instantly soaking them. Fitz led her towards a dark gray Lexus parked to the side where no one could really see it. Before she could ask anything, Fitz was fumbling at the door, and  handing her down into the passenger’s side.

 

She gave him another look as he slid into the driver’s seat, checking the dash over before starting the car and driving smoothly out of the parking lot.

 

“So what are we doing?” She was surprised at calm her voice sounded, compared to the way her insides were reacting. Her heart was skipping beats, while her lips parted on a little gasp of shock mingled with a tiny pulse of pure delight - he was crazy, he wouldn’t dare...

 

Fitz shot her a mischievous look as they drove away and it was all the answer she needed. “We’ve been given an unexpected holiday. And I intend to take full advantage of it.”

 

His voice dropped. “And you.”

 

“You can’t...” Olivia started. He was crazy. This was crazy. Her heart started hammering in her chest in a mixed beat rhythm of anticipation and shock.

 

“I’m already doing it.” He gave her another glance. “We are cutting ourselves off from the world for just a little while.”

 

Fitz reached over and turned off the radio and let the sounding of the rain fill the space instead.“I don’t need music. All I need is you, Olivia.”

 

“Cyrus will have a stroke.” Olivia breathed.

 

“Cyrus is being informed probably as we speak, that I’ve decided I need some well deserved alone down-time and I’ll call him when I reach my destination. Remember, no one knows exactly where I’m going to be. There are four different trains put at the campaign’s disposal and I could be in any number of hospitality cars right this very minute.”

 

“And just where am I supposed to be?”

 

“Your name is on the manifest of the first trains out of here. In fact, you’re already gone. I suggest sending him an email to alert him to that fact.”

 

“Clothing?”

 

“Grabbed a bag of yours off of the bus. It’s in the back. Not that you’ll be needing much.”

 

He said the last in such a matter of fact tone that a laugh bubbled out of Olivia before she could stop it. “So, you’ve planned this out?”

 

“Ms. Pope, I’ll remind you that I am a military man. A great deal of American tax money went into my training.  Such training includes the highly honed ability to evaluate all possibilities and plan accordingly.” And there was that slightly naughty little boy smile of his that did all kinds of things to her insides.

 

“Remind me never to underestimate you, Fitzgerald Grant.”

 

His voice went so soft and low and sexy that it caused the tiny hairs on her skin to rise.

 

“I intend to do exactly that.”

 

The drive itself was like driving through a dream. The sky was grey, the rain constant. What it did was wrap them in an intimate world all their own.  Fitz promised they'd be under a warm dry roof long before them storms swept in.

 

They arrived at their destination almost two hours later, finally making their way through a grove of old oak and magnolia trees that convinced Olivia that they were arriving at some great estate.  Olivia’s eyes widened as they drove up a large driveway fronted by a massive gate. Fitz leaned over and retrieved a remote control from the glove compartment. He keyed in a code and the gates swung open.

 

They continued onto the estate grounds,  with Fitz bypassing the main house - a three-storied mansion with soaring columns that looked as though it could have come straight out of Gone With The Wind. He didn’t stop until they had traveled some distance behind it, into a secondary smaller  grove of trees where a much smaller house had been built.

 

He pulled the car up before a  a deep spacious front porch before shutting it off and turning to her  stop, then turned to face Olivia. “It’s nice to have friends. Especially friends who are out of the country.”

 

Olivia quirked a smile at him. “I guess so. But would you care to explain how you managed all of this?”

 

Fitz slid one hand along her jaw, drawing her face to his. “Later.” he murmured, just before his mouth claimed hers in a long, slow kiss.

 

She remembered how she had shivered - how she had always shivered at the little sigh of longing that would escape his lips just before he kissed her. She would never forget the sound of the rain as it intensified around them, washing the world away.

 

For this brief moment in time, Olivia allowed herself the fantasy. They both had. The fantasy that this was their normal, that they didn’t live their existence in stolen moments and after-midnight-only kisses.

 

The fantasy that the house they ran into soaked to the skin was theirs together. The bedroom that he scooped her up and carried her to was theirs to share openly. As was the bed where he gently peeled the wet clothing inch by inch from her body, slowly following the paths of raindrops with his hands, his lips, his tongue...

 

So heart-stopingly slow that time ceased to exist, all she knew was the heavy waves of his waves tangled in her fingers, her body arching under his touch while she dissolved deep into a bliss that she’d never known before and one she shared with him.

 

Only with him.

 

They drifted into sleep with arms and limbs wrapped around one another, awoke and showered together, went down to the kitchen together and fixed an easy meal of burgers and fries. They curled up on the couch on the den, watched old movies, and argued the merits of old school filmology against the new, and then they made love the whole night through, until the first pearly strands of dawn struggled to be seen against the clouds.

 

Not a single word was spoken about anything about the world that lay waiting for them beyond the storm. There was only them and the rain...

 

End Flashback...

 

Her thoughts were interrupted by the phone ringing. “Olivia Pope.”

 

“I certainly hope so.”

 

“Jake.” in spite of herself, Olivia felt herself smile. “What can I do for you?”

 

“Nothing at the moment - ask me again in a few days.”

 

“So you called me - why?”

 

“Would you believe me if I said it was just to say hello?”

 

“Hello, Jake.”

 

“Hello, Olivia. I did lie just now.”

 

He hardly sounded repentant about it. Olivia smiled to herself, glad at the distraction. The last thing she needed to do was dwell on memories. She smiled again into the phone but said nothing, waiting for him.

 

A small silence stretched out between them

 

“Ok, you twisted my arm. Would you believe me if I told you that I can’t wait to see you for our non-date on Friday?”

 

“Maybe.” Olivia sat back in her chair, ready to let him take her mind from her other thoughts. “Convince me.”

 

“No way.” He laughed. “I’m saving all of my skills for when I see you.”

 

“And I suppose this is supposed to whet my curiosity.” Olivia fell into his easy banter as she laughed with him.

 

“Tell me that I didn’t. Beauty and brains - tell me you don’t love a good mystery - and you wonder why I’m looking forward to Friday.”

 

Olivia allowed herself a small laugh, surprised at how good it felt. “As charming as this all is, I do have some work I have to get to. So if you were calling to confirm our - date - consider that handled.”

 

“Handled. I like the sound of that. Consider the thought reciprocated.”

 

Oh no, he did not just try and go there. “Jake...”

 

He laughed again; it was a pleasant sound in her ear. “I’ll see you, Friday at seven, Ms. Pope.”

 

“I’ll see you, then Captain Ballard.” She hung up, feeling a little better about facing the rest of the day.

 

Although there was no one to see, Jake Ballard was looking very satisfied with himself as well.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.