Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Even Lovers Drown CH 48

 

“Try to enjoy yourself.” Olivia said to Shireen. They were momentarily alone at their table. Jake and Harrison had both excused themselves for a moment, while David had asked Abby to join him for a dance.

 

“It’s a little hard to do, knowing that there’s some one plotting and scheming against me along with the possibility that they could be here right now.”

 

“Possibly, not definitely.” Olivia tried to reassure her. “It might have been enough for your probable mysterious contact to see you leave dressed as they wanted. After all, a function like this ensures the highest of security measures - which they have to know, plus we’ve had Huck to keep an eye on you since before then. Hopefully he’s caught a glimpse of them tonight and found a clue. He’s very good at what he does. All of my people are.”

 

Shireen thought about that and she visibly relaxed. “I believe you, but that doesn’t make it any easier.” she picked up her glass and sipped deeply.

 

“You’ve done what they’ve wanted. The next move is theirs - and if by chance they do make a move, then we’ve got the best of protection. Could it get any better than this?”

 

“Could what get any better?” Jake said as he slid into the seat next to Olivia. At the same time, Harrison came and stood by Shireen’s chair.

 

“You weren’t supposed to hear that.” Olivia said, directing a smile at him. She glanced at Shireen as though they’d been sharing a girl between girl moment.

 

Shireen caught on quickly and smiled along with her. “Yes,” she said, “We’re not going to compliment you where you can hear it, now are we?”

 

“Now I’m more interested in what I missed than ever.” Jake said.

 

“I’m more interested in where the two of you were?” Olivia asked.

 

“I was just giving your friend Harrison here a quick tour of the place.” Jake explained.

 

“You mean the men’s tour?” Olivia said. Her mouth curved in amusement. “The so-called men’s only cigar lounges.”

 

“How did you know-?” Jake began, but then shut his mouth on a grin. “Of course you know - you-”

 

“Used to work here.” Olivia finished the sentence with him.

 

“Ouch.” Jake said. His expression was unrepentant. “And here I thought I was had found a way to impress you. Instead, you could probably teach me a thing or two about the inner workings of the White House.”

 

Olivia didn’t say anything. Her smile said plenty, though.

 

“Let’s try something else, shall we?” Jake came to his feet and offered her his hand. “Would you care to dance?”

 

Olivia did.

 

As she expected, Jake was good at it. He held her in his arms lightly, one hand holding hers and guided her around the floor effortlessly.  They moved together smoothly and it surprised her. He caught that much in her expression; he grinned.

 

“Surprised?” he asked, a challenge, as always, in his words.

 

“You never cease to amaze me.” Olivia conceded with a laugh. “Don’t let it go to your head.”

 

“Do I need to say it?” This was yet another part of th Jake Ballard Experience, no doubt.

 

“No.” She couldn’t help herself  - and this was a good thing, she thought - Olivia laughed again.

 

“Good.”

 

They danced in silence for a few minutes. Not that she would ever tell Jake, but she was glad of his presence. He was a shield of sorts; Olivia had had her own issues about coming here tonight, knowing that she’d be seeing Fitz and Mellie together, but she’d managed to bury most of her anxieties by coming here with her people, Shireen and David. She wasn’t exactly using them, but their presence did serve a purpose in anchoring her in the here and now instead of the what ifs and could have, should have beens.

 

They were another shield in her defense. D.C was a small town and there were bound to be times when she would be in close proximity to Fitz now and again. She just had to learn how to endure it. And she’d use every defense at her disposal when it came to her heart’s protection.

 

Jake’s voice interrupted her thoughts. “Hey, so how’s it been going?”

 

“What?” Olivia as somewhat caught unawares but recovered quickly. “How’s it going?”

 

Jake looked down at her, a quizzical look on his face. He nodded to his left where Shireen and Harrison were dancing together a few feet away. “About Shireen? Remember, I vetted her to do the work she’s doing for your company? I was thinking you two seem to be getting along well, so I thought I would ask how she was.”

 

“Shireen? Oh, things are fine between us.” Olivia caught herself up. “As far as the actual work, you’d have to speak with my tech guy - and he’s not here tonight. He’s not the black tie and formal party type.”

 

Jake nodded and they continued the dance for another moment. “Well actually, I know better than ask about her work - I’m just - there’s no particular reason - I was just wondering how she seemed to you.”

 

“Why would you ask?” Olivia let a puzzled expression settle on her face. At the same time, her mind started working. She’d never forgotten that Jake was in Intel, but at the same time, the last thing she wanted was for him to turn his attentions in their direction.

 

Jake shrugged. “I don’t know; not exactly. You did remember that we work together, right? I just wondered if she was all right.  I do concern myself with the people I’m tasked to guard.”

 

“She seems to be all right, doesn’t she?” she didn’t quite lie, but Olivia found herself unexpectedly regretting that she couldn’t be fully honest with him. It seemed as though his concern was genuine and she couldn’t fault him for that. But she was a gladiator for her clients, first and foremost. Always. What he wanted, she couldn't give him. A pity, she thought.

 

“It’s nice that you care.” Olivia said, having made her choice. “Very heart-warming.”

 

“Yes, I am a good guy, aren’t I? At least most of the time. Didn’t you notice the white hat?” he joked.

 

“Hmmm.” Olivia took a moment to look him over, then nodded. “I noticed. I noticed the white hat.”

 

Too bad she couldn’t tell him about hers.

 

//**//

 

“Explain to me again how it is that I’m breathing such rarified air?” David said to Abby.

 

Abby tossed her long red hair over one shoulder and shrugged. “Olivia and Shireen snagged a table for the event, there was an extra seat, when suggestions were opened up, your name came up.”

 

“So, I’m back in the friendship column.” David cocked a cynical eye at her. He glanced over to see that Jake and Shireen were dancing together. “Who is this Shireen? Or is there a new gladiator in sweatshirts over at OPA?”

 

"Quit that."Abby raised one hand to tug at his bow tie - but not too hard, because he was looking all kind of handsome to her in it and the last thing she wanted to do was mess him up. At least not now. “And no, Shireen Davis isn’t a new associate. She’s just a freelancer doing some extra work around the office for a bit.”

 

He didn’t answer her; damn if he didn’t know her a little bit too well. Normally cool and sometimes a little too collected, he had the patience to wait her out. It worked; eventually Abby fidgeted under his gaze until she couldn’t take it. “What?”

 

“That was really just a little bit too well said, you know.” David said, his tone still conversational, but his eyes were bright and questioning behind his glasses. “Maybe you’ll actually tell me the truth before the night is out.”

 

It wasn’t in Abby to give in so easily. “Shut up and dance with me, David Rosen, or you won’t be getting anything before the night is out.”

 

David complied, but not without a last glance at OPA’s newest addition. Who was Shireen Davis?

 

//**//

 

Shireen looked up to see Jake studying her. “What?”

 

“I don’t know.” Jake said. He drew her a little closer to him on the dance floor. “I’m trying to figure out what’s up with you. You’re tense - I can feel it.”

 

“I’m nervous. I’m at a White House ball, with the president and the first lady, I’m praying that I won’t trip over myself,or spill my champagne, or do any number of things that will embarrass me and scar my soul for life.”

 

His expression said he wasn’t quite sure whether to believe her or not - worse of all, she was certain that they both knew it. That alone made her waver between telling him everything or keeping it to herself as she had so far. This was no one’s business but her own, wasn’t it? And the truth was, she didn’t know who to trust right now.  Sometimes she didn’t even know if she could trust herself. That alone, made her hold her silence.

 

Shireen changed the subject instead. “How about you? Are you enjoying yourself?”

 

Jake smiled. “At this moment, more than you know.” he raised her hand to his mouth and briefly brushed his lips across them.

 

“Flirt.” she said, smiling even as she scolded him.

 

“Jealous?”  he asked.

 

“Hardly.”

 

Jake laughed to see the sudden challenge in her eyes. “I could be motivated in your direction if we continued that conversation about that french maid outfit.”

 

“Assuming that I want to continue that conversation - ” Shireen began, but before she could finish her sentence, a familiar profile caught her eye. Before he could answer, she was turning her head as a familiar profile flashed into view as she and her partner were leaving the dance floor, their backs to her. Shireen grabbed Jake’s hand and pulled him after her.

 

Remembering the warnings that Olivia Pope had made, Shireen was grateful to see Abby Whelan and her partner close by. She touched Abby’s shoulder as she passed her and was grateful to see the other woman check herself. No doubt she would ease herself and her partner in that general direction.

 

“Momma!” she called out. Shireen saw her mother turn at the sound of her voice. What amazed her even more was the face of her dance partner who had been escorting her off of the floor.

 

Fitzgerald Thomas Grant III. The President of the United States was her mother’s dance partner.

 

“Momma?”  was all she could manage.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.