Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

500 word challenge in response to writing prompt: the lonely highways




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!”  Caroline heard her mother’s slurred speech call after her as she fled with her bags to the safety of her car parked in the driveway.  With eyes shut, she recalled a similar scene unfolding years earlier.

 

She stood in her father’s embrace, unwilling to reciprocate his affection once she realized that he was leaving his marriage and not taking her with him. He promised that he would still be there when she needed him, but that gave her little comfort as she watched his car pull out of the driveway for what would become the last time. News of his untimely death came a few months later.

 

She opened her eyes and tears threatened to fall.  ‘Good Riddance’ she thought and drove away.

 

 

Several hours later Caroline found herself stranded by the roadside. To make matters worse, she couldn’t get a cell phone signal and she hadn’t passed another car in hours.

 

With no help in sight, she decided to set off on foot. The long stretch of road that looked picturesque during day now looked dark and foreboding at night.  An hour later, she still hadn’t encountered any signs of human life, her knees ached, and raindrops began to fall.  She chastised herself for not staying put. She sent up a silent prayer and moments later she saw headlights approaching.

 

She was surprised to see that it was a tow truck and that her car was hoisted behind it. A dark haired man stepped out wearing a goofy grin. “Hello. I’m Jeff with Rockland Towing. At your service,” he held open the passenger door while she climbed inside.

 

 “You have my car.” She exclaimed.

 

“Yeah. I’m sorry I couldn’t get to you sooner, but you really should’ve stayed with your car…err” he paused.

 

“Caroline” she offered.

 

“Like Sweet Caroline.” his green eyes sparkled as he hummed a bar of the popular tune.

 

“I guess.” She frowned and rubbed her knees.

 

“That’s a tough trek into town under the best of circumstances.” He said noticing her discomfort.

 

“Yours is the first vehicle I’ve seen in hours. How’d you know someone was stranded out here?”

 

“A call came into dispatch” he said matter-of-factly.

 

“It wasn’t from me. My cell has no signal.”

 

“Well then, the big guy upstairs must be looking out for you.”

 

“Okay.” Her tone sounded doubtful.

 

 He picked up his radio. “Hey, Betty. Who called in the last job?”

 

A raspy voiced replied “Shucks! I can’t remember his name. Hold on.”

 

“Ok, Betty.

 

They drove on in relative silence until the raspy voice returned.

 

“ Jeff, the caller’s name was Wynn. I remember he seemed real worried about a young woman stranded on 46”.

 

“No need to worry. She’s here riding shotgun and looks fine to me.” He smiled that goofy smile again.

 

“Oh Good! Now, don’t fart around out there. That storm is moving in fast.”

 

“Copy.”

 

Goosebumps formed on Caroline’s skin at the recognition of her father’s name.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.