Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

“No…not today. Not right now!” I shouted, furious that my car started to act up. I was in the midst of traveling down I-95 from Philadelphia back to my home state of North Carolina. Ever since my parents gave me the older black Ford Focus, I just knew it was going to give out on me eventually. But why now?! I’d had the car all throughout the spring semester of my junior year of college and the only problem it gave me was the key getting stuck in the ignition.

Frustrated and feeling defeated, I sighed and pulled over to the side of the graveled curve, hoping deep inside that someone would drive by. It was a strange sight seeing 95 so empty. I was sure the damn road was the busiest highway in America. Granted, I was passing through a small town in Virginia, but I was still confused. 

Just as luck would have it, my phone had one percent of the battery left and the signal was going in and out. I didn’t even have the chance to make a phone call and that’s when I broke down.

What the hell was I supposed to do? 

Did the world really have to shit on me in this exact moment? Stranded and alone.

The sound of wolves howling in the woods caught me off guard. Debating on whether or not I wanted to stay in the car felt like the biggest decision of my life.

Fuck it” I mumbled to myself after opening the door to the car. I saw a sign for a Shell gas station a mile back. It should be much closer. Looking at the dark emptiness of the road ahead made me nervous. My anxiety level was at an all time high.

After giving my good ole car a good kick for giving out on me at the most inconvenient time, I put one foot in front of the other and hesitatingly made my way down the road. Every two seconds, I checked my surroundings.

At one point, about mile or two into the hike, and in between many bouts of tears, a car flew right by me. I stopped in my tracks as soon as the person slammed on their brakes and immediately backed up to meet me. Considering the fact that this was a highway and no one backs up, I was scared. Then there was flashing lights. An officer came to my rescue.

If it hadn’t been for my severe animosity towards police officers, especially male officers in the south, I would have been a wee bit more excited. He got out of his car and walked up to me.

I stalled and let out a short gasp at his appearance. He looked to be in his mid-twenties. Tanned, but not too tanned skin. Short brown hair. Defined cheekbones. And a set of full lips that made me forget all about my situation for two seconds.

“Is there a problem, miss?” he asked with a deep, raspy voice; too sexy to be owned by a white man.

“No, officer. I’m fine. Thanks” I nodded and began making my way down the road again. My distrust for them as a whole was stronger than my attraction for this particular one.

“Look, there’s no way I can let you walk down this highway alone. A beautiful woman such as yourself could get snatched up by any ole passerby. You gotta be careful out here.”

I wanted to say something sarcastic. Mean, even. But he looked so genuine and sincere. Maybe I could push the revulsion aside for the night. After all, what did I have to lose?












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.