Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Enterprise Away Team Diplomatic visit, Delta Asilo

2260

"Thank you very much for the tour," Kirk said, forcing a smile. His face felt cold. "Snow and ice have so many...interesting aesthetic qualities. Our team appreciates your time and the many detailed explanations. On behalf of Starfleet, Şhukran-eh paws..." Kirk glanced at his Communications Officer questioningly.

"Şükran eyh paz (gratitude and peace)," Nyota gently murmured the proper pronunciation to Jim, and he repeated it correctly, tone for tone. The rest of the Enterprise team, which on this occasion consisted of Kirk, Spock, Uhura, McCoy, Miranda, Kim, Jones, and Riley, also voiced their thanks.

Their cheerful tour guide's face was blue, but he was in the best of health. He clapped his gloved hands together. He was still bubbling with energy after over an hour on the snowy plains of rural Delta Asilo, a Federation-affiliated colony planetoid populated by a mix of alien humanoids and former Earth residents. "You and all of the Enterprise team are quite welcome, Lieutenant! I'm disappointed that no one wants to go sledging now, but maybe humans aren't accustomed to spending much time in this climate, eh? Anyway, Şükran eyh paz."

Over sixty minutes of Standard time had been spent walking around a snow-covered area marveling at the wonders of a the exterior of a large geothermal energy plant; the entrance to a mine; rock formations; the snowy shore of a huge frozen lake; the roofless ruins of an early planetary settlement; the snow-covered future site of another geothermal and solar energy plant; and some snow and ice sculptures left over from an early winter festival. Stiff with cold and politeness, Nyota kept smiling, provided translation as needed for the pair of offworld guests accompanying the Enterprise team, and yearned for hot tea with honey.

Everyone's formal body language relaxed as they realized that the guided tour was over. At last, they could board the nearby shuttle for the return trip to Bentley House, the large government-owned guesthouse where the Enterprise team were staying. Heat, local food and notoriously strong drink awaited them on each of Bentley House's three floors.

The thought of being in a heated room almost brought a real smile to Nyota's face now, and she sent a soft touch across her bond to Spock. His reaction was a mere distracted flicker. She glanced over at him and saw him staring back at her, a strange expression in his eyes. A flush of light green edged his cheekbones and ears; even very warm-blooded Vulcans were affected by weather like this.

Was it too cold for him here, she wondered? Odd. She felt only a little bit cold, wrapped up in the local clothing presented as a gift to her by the representatives. She wore a long insulated hooded coat - with the hood down so that she could hear better - two long sleeved shirts, pants, boots, gloves, long quilted overskirt and flowing cape. She was also dizzy, but it had been several hours since breakfast. Nyota turned towards the Matthew Henson, the modified Federation shuttle which their hosts had provided for local transportation. Her suddenly unsteady feet refused to obey her will, moving in opposite directions.

Spock moved quickly across the snow and gripped her forearm to steady her. "Lieutenant?"

Her eyelids seemed to take longer to open and close than usual as she blinked at him. "Thanks. I must have stepped on a patch of ice." Her voice sounded strained even to herself. Why was her heart pounding so fast?

Jim Kirk had stopped walking and turned around to look at them. "Uhura? You okay?"

"I'm fine, thanks, Captain. I don't have the skills of an Iowan when it comes to getting around in the snow." Nyota blinked again, shivering, and saw two Kirks. Both of them were saying something to Spock that she couldn't follow. Kirk was shouting something about bones. Bones? Hers seemed to be turning to rubber even while she shuddered; she swayed in the freezing wind.

Oh, he meant Leonard. McCoy was in front of her, tricorder in hand, shooing Kirk away. "Don't squeeze her arm so tightly, Spock. Let her blood circulate freely."

"I understand that, Doctor McCoy. I am simply preventing the Lieutenant from falling." Spock's tone sounded clipped, tension adding a staccato sound to his words.

"Bless your little green heart. Let me do my job and help her. Her body temperature's dropping fast. Let's board that shuttle and get her warmed up." McCoy was frowning more than usual.

Oh, no. Nyota wished they would just give her a moment to collect her thoughts. She'd been tired this morning, not sick.

The rosy light reflected from the planet's three pink-tinted moons faded as clouds gathered overhead. "Base reports predictions of a blizzard," said Miranda, checking her communicator.

Nyota tried to take a step and pitched forward. Spock's arm hooked around her waist, preventing her from falling face down into the thick white drifts. Cold seemed to reach up to her from the snow and spread through her entire body. Everything turned sideways as falling snow flew into her eyes. Then she was being carried by Spock, her head resting against his chest.


Şükran eyh paz=Gratitude and peace. Artificial trade language, an amalgam of Turkish, French, and Spanish assembled for this story.

Bentley House = Wilson A. Bentley: The "Snowflake" man, of Jericho, Vermont, the first person to photograph a single snow crystal in 1885. He photographed thousands of snowflakex before his death in 1931.


Matthew Henson= African American explorer and associate of Robert Peary during various expeditions, including the 1909 expedition described by the explorers as the first to reach the North Pole.






Chapter End Notes:

Şükran eyh paz=Gratitude and peace. Artificial trade language, an amalgam of Turkish, French, and Spanish assembled for this story.


Bentley House = Wilson A. Bentley: The "Snowflake" man, of Jericho, Vermont, the first person to photograph a single snow crystal in 1885. He photographed thousands of snowflakex before his death in 1931.


Matthew Henson= African American explorer and associate of Robert Peary during various expeditions, including the 1909 expedition described by the explorers as the first to reach the North Pole.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.