Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi! Sorry for the epic wait and the lack of editing. But don't go so soon...please...stay...there will be cookies.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 3

 

Mickey stormed out of the apartment building in blind fiery with no real destination. Finally she realized that she had made it half way across campus in front of the library. Shay had upset her, not because she had put her hands on her but because she saw how her cousin looked at Shay. Shay could easily replace Mickey as a confidant and that scared Mickey to her core. Besides Natalia and Francis she didn't have much family to depend on. Stephanie had already become a substitute sister in Natalia's life the last thing she could handle was losing Francis.

 

Sitting on the steps in almost defeat a sing-song laugh broke her out of her trance. Scooting closer to the source with only the bush shrubs to keep her hidden Mickey watched at Munro and Zoe headed in her direction. Zoe's arm was linked with his dangling one. He clutched both of their bags with no problem as Zoe trotted along giggling to something he must have said.

 

Zoe.

 

She was the bane of Mickey's existence as far as Munro was concerned. Zoe was probably the ultimate reason why Munro took to the hills after their tryst hours before. He looked absolutely edible in his basic tee, basketball shorts and Vans. Today he wore his glasses so Mickey knew he was there to study. She turned her body toward the shrubbery to hide herself from them.

 

She turned slightly to see that they had stopped to talk to someone. When Mickey had turned around to see who it was her blood ran cold. The 98 degree temperature did little to soothe the ice cold chill that had left her frozen. After a few ragged breaths she battled her immobility and made her way as fast as she could into the library.

 

Mickey couldn't let him see her no matter what. Once inside she held up her student ID card and was let in with no problem. She ducked behind a marble column in front of the window and watched as Munro and Zoe spoke to him. They laughed at his jokes; a small joyous crowd surrounded them patting him on the back as if he was some living effigy. The cruel part being that he was a breathing figurine, on this campus he was a god.

 

Bile rose in her throat as she watched everyone including Munro fawn over him but if they knew the truth about who he was they wouldn't be so quick to laugh at his jokes.

 

"You are such an intelligent woman McGuire I'm glad we get to spend this time together," his deep voice called out to her making her blush. It had been the first time a boy...oops man had addressed her as a woman.

 

"Thank you," Mickey said a bit shyly. The two finished grading papers for the morning class.

 

"I'm happy to have this opportunity to be here with you. I mean," Mickey stated before panic set in. He wrapped his large hand around her small one and ceased her worry.

 

"No worries, I know what you mean this is a great opportunity," he agreed as he gazed around him proudly. Not before looking back at her with a soft smile.

 

"Well we won't have long together but the least we can do is to make the best of it," he said before getting back to the papers. Mickey stared at him in admiration having no idea that behind those handsome eyes hid a predator that would make her life hell.

Mickey exhaled in visible relief as she watched him walk away from his fan club, while Munro and Zoe headed into the library.

 

Leaning against the column she watched as Zoe and Munro grabbed a table in the corner. She ventured behind a bookcase to see them better and like every time she snuck and watched them her heart plummeted. Munro pulled out her chair and gets them both set up.  Mickey ventured further out to get a better view of the "couple".

 

"So how was your night? You never told me what happened," Zoe asked as she fiddled with a pencil. Munro shrugged not taking the bait.

 

"Come on, something went down." Munro finally took a look at her and frowned.

 

"Why are you asking me that when I spent a good portion of my night with you," Zoe looked away appearing as though her hand had been caught in the cookie jar.

 

"You know what I mean, you were with her," Zoe explained unable to speak Mickey's name as she tried to fiend for innocence.

 

"What does that have to do with you," he responded in a strained tone. Zoe pulled back as if she had been wounded.

 

"I was just asking. In my opinion you're a great guy Munro, there are girls all over Miami who climb a mountain just to get an ounce of attention you give her," Zoe explained causing Munro to clench his jaw and close his eyes.

 

"I ask again, what does that have to do with you?"

 

"Nothing--"

 

"So why is it when you and I are together you need a complete run down of my time with her as if you're my parole officer?"

 

"Munro I'm just trying to look out for you. I don't want you do get hurt," Zoe offered sincerely making Mickey want to gag. Munro reached over and patted her hand.

 

"I always wear my helmet and I know where the Neosporin is in case of emergencies," Munro shot back sarcastically causing Mickey to giggle.

 

"Forget it, but don't come running to me when you catch something you can't cure with a Band-Aid and ointment," Zoe joked as she watched Munro smirk. Mickey was ready to step out from behind the bookcase and throttle Zoe.

 

"It's a good thing I only mess with her then. Cause if I was with you, man...I'm probably going to need a shot of penicillin just to get through this conversation without contracting a cold sore."

 

Mickey grinned as she watched Zoe's face drop and her strike him against the head.

 

"That's not funny."

 

"Don't hate, you know you spit when you talk so don't even play mad," Munro said blocking her attacks with his hands.

 

"Listen I was just trying to help but I know when something's not my business," Zoe confessed as Munro slapped a hand over his heart.

 

"Zoe White minding her business, this cannot be real. Look at God, won't He do it," Munro mocked with a dose of seriousness laced in his words that Zoe couldn't ignore.

 

Mickey felt butterflies gather in her belly as Munro shut Zoe down. She had only imagined things of this nature happening but never did she think it would happen to her in real life. Her giddiness only lasted for a hot second as a strong gust of reality perfumed her mind. ‘He was probably defending his reputation, not my ass. That boy could care less about me, he made that clear last night.' Mickey snorted as meddlesome contradicting thoughts battled for control over her emotions.

 

The two awkwardly delve into their books, trying to find a way to move past the lingering effect of their last conversation. Pushing books out of her line of sight she caught a perfect view of her man and his hobbit. ‘Who the hell is he texting?' Mickey thought angrily as her phone buzzed scaring the shit out of her. She ended up falling back into a book cart before running in the opposite direction of Munro and Zoe.


Munro looked over at the abrupt crashing sound only to shrug his shoulders and turn back to Zoe who was trying to at least look like she was studying. He felt guilty for dismissing her but he couldn't understand why Zoe was so hot and cold when in came to Mickey. Some days she was cool other days it looked as if Zoe had sucked a lemon when Mickey's name was mentioned. Granted he wasn't in the position to even entertain the idea of him and Mick being more than fuck buddies. When anyone including Zoe had the audacity to question, pry or disrespect Mickey, Munro's blood literally boiled.

He liked Mickey and all but he wasn't prepared for all these caveman feelings that came to mind every time he was in the same vicinity as her. Having dreams and urges to be near her was getting ridiculous and ain't nobody got time for that shit, no sir!

"Listen Zo, I'm not trying to disregard everything you're saying I just want to understand why you're saying it in the first place," Munro reasoned as she finally looked up from her binder.

"I'm just worried about you that's all. McGuire doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to being a human being," Zoe tried to explain only to receive a raised eyebrow from Munro.

"Fuck reputation, I have never been around her or heard about her talking shit about you. Out of everyone you are the one person I can honestly say that she shows respect regardless." Zoe listens to him try and rationalize with her but frowns as she watches him stare at his dark phone screen. 

"Doesn't that seem suspicious? It's kind of like she's doing it for a reason not to be a genuine person. The way you're behaving right now is way beyond suspicious, it makes me believe that not only are you doing her but you might even be in a relationship," Zoe argued happy that she hit a nerve as she watched his eyes dart back and forth.  

 

"I think you're overreacting, McGuire Steel ain't shit to me. I'm just tired of hearing her name," Munro says with a chuckle as his screen lights up.

 

"Whatever you say Casanova," Zoe mutters attempting to dive back into her workbook. She glances up once more to see him still staring at his phone.

 

"Do me a favor and try and get to know her. Alone...she isn't so bad trust me," Munro pleaded with puppy dog eyes causing Zoe to roll her eyes but nod her head anyway.

 

"I'm gonna get a coffee I'll be back in a minute," Munro said putting his phone back on the table. Zoe watched his retreating back and turned her attention to his phone. The urge to grab it pulsated through her veins.

 

It buzzed causing her to jump clean out of her seat. She took the phone and thumbed in his phone code he trusted her. He trusted her with his phone and knowledge of his password.

 

Shay...he wouldn't be stalking his phone over her, would he? Nah...

 

Angel...that fool didn't want anything as usual.

 

Cherry? Who on earth is Cherry? Well if he did come back in time which she doubted because she knew how long that line usually was; she would have time, he would never know, just a peak at the messages wouldn't hurt. Zoe couldn't resist as her fingers zinged across the screen.


Mickey made if behind a nearby staircase before breathing a sigh of relief. Ripping into her bag she retrieved her phone ready to annihilate the perpetrator who almost gave her away.

Cherry.

Mickey's heart thumped against her chest cavity, paralyzed at the fact that Munro was the one who texted her. Her fingers trembled ready to respond as she always had been. No matter what she would make herself available to him.

 

Yes?

Mickey wanted to slap her palm against her forehead at the melancholy response she gave him. So careless! So simple! So trite! And yet maybe she was on the periphery of genius, something he would look at and smirk thinking about how clever she was.

 

Where are you?

 

She slid to the floor in hopes of soothing the ache that was sure to be causing the beginnings of a flood in her leggings.

 

Around.

 

That's it she would play it cool and coy.

Cool.

What the fuck?

What about you?

From there she waited and waited for him to respond with something dull and uncaring that would send her reeling into ecstasy. It was shameful that she got hot and bothered when he acted like an ass.

She continued to wait in hopes that a message from him would illuminate her screen. She had learned over the summer not to blow up his phone. He would answer in his own time, he had to.

Ten minutes more and still nothing. Not a damn letter, symbol or emoji that would carry her through the day. No, he left her in punishing silence and that was worst than anything. Silence, was accompanied by uncertainty and rejection, that is a horrible cocktail no matter how great the drink special.

 

Silence reminded her of all the things she was denied in life, all the things she didn't deserve. Munro was a gift, one that was not supposed to be bestowed upon her. She didn't deserve his care, his love, his smile, his light none of it. Silence brought her back crashing down, to a paralyzing state of limbo. Silence meant she was on her own, maybe she could score a midnight meeting or two but girls like her weren't meant to be in love with. Girls like her only had the cold contrite blanket of silence to comfort them, love don't live here.  

 

Silence reminded Mickey of her mother...

 

Taking a deep breath she pushed out the malevolent voices in her head that she had never won a battle against. Pulling herself to her feet she looked around to see what part of the library she had made it to.

She made her way over to the education section of the library and went in search of some child study books to check out. After a few minutes of scavenging the section she came up for air. Sighing she jugged about eight books ranging in different sizes. After checking out the books and wasting enough time she was convinced that Munro and Zoe had finished Mickey made her way to the front of the library.

 

Breezing past most of the tables she almost dropped all of her books when she heard her name.

 

She turned to see Zoe waving her over as if everything had been peachy but according Zoe things were.

 

Seeing no way out Mickey clutched her books to her chest and made her way over to Zoe. Staring at the table littered with books she opted to stand until Zoe cleared out the chair next to her. Mickey smiled tight lipped and settled into the wooden chair in an uncomfortable silence.

 

"Children, Adolescents and the Media; Observing and Understanding Child Development, I didn't know you were a Psychology major McGuire," Zoe inquired causing Mickey to flinch as each word felt like a jab to the throat.  

 

"I'm not," Mickey said in return forcing the tone in her voice not to go above a certain octave.

Mickey looked around in search of her solace who was no where to be found but his phone was. Zoe smiled at Mickey while she stared back between her and the phone. 

 

"Where's Munro," Mickey asked not yet ready to drop her guard. 

 

"Around," Zoe responded as a Mickey's head snapped up. Why would she have said that? Did she go through his phone? Had she sent it herself? Where was Munro? Hold up, maybe she didn't know anything at all. Around was a common statement, right? Anyone would have said that right?  

"Is there something wrong McGuire?" Mickey took a second to shake herself loose of the shock of what had just happened. If Zoe did go through his phone the last thing she wanted was for Zoe to know that she was panicking.

 

"No...no, no with the excitement of finding these books I forgot the one I actually needed," Mickey explained quick to recover her mistake. Zoe's eyes zoned in on her again as she was about to ask something else but Munro returned with two cups of coffee.

 

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Mickey jumped slightly at the new addition to the table. Switching her eyes cautiously between Munro and Zoe she thought it best she leave.

 

"Leaving," Mickey responded hastily as she watched Zoe smirk and Munro frown as if he didn't want her to go. He slides the chair next to her closer and puts his arm around her chair. Mickey felt trapped between wanting to run and sinking into his good embrace.

 

"No stay," Munro coaxed close to her ear as he handed a coffee to Zoe and then offered his to Mickey. She took and slipped out of it neither catching the blaze that was igniting in Zoe's eyes.

 

Times like this confused Mickey because in public with his behavior it could be a toss up he could either be affectionate or treat her like one of the guys. In private where he shed himself of all the distractions and it was just the two of them that's when the armor would appear.

 

"You didn't text me back," Munro whispered only loud enough for Mickey to hear.

 

Mickey's eyes flicked to Zoe who looked to be engrossed in her studies. As mad as she was there was no way she could confront Zoe about anything a large part being in thanks to Munro. Zoe was his kryptonite; she had seen him get tight with a few guys who wanted to push up on her. Munro was never the type to get hostile but she could only imagine what he would do if everyone's accusations about her came to fruition. She would lose him and that is not something that Mickey wanted to risk happening.

 

"Just a little recon for the upcoming semester," Mickey responded gesturing toward the books.

 

Zoe snuck glances of them and watched Munro sip from his coffee and steal a kiss to the back of her neck. Zoe thought it was disgusting how they acted as if no one was around they were in public damnit!

 

Thirty minutes ago Steel wasn't shit, what a liar,' Zoe thought as she shook her head desperately trying to focus on something other than them.

 

"Zoe are you okay," Mickey asked in a tone that sounded genuine but Zoe was a woman she could tell when another woman was marking her territory. She didn't want Munro West hell; Mickey could have his ass because she knew that boy better that anyone. That was more valuable than whatever he was doing with Steel.

 

Mickey was just another one of his flavors of the week that was lasting longer than a week. Her real priority was finding out who this Cherry person was. Unlike McGuire, who wasn't even saved in his phone, this Cherry person he had long text and calls with. He wrote down her schedule, corks, habits and poems about her in his phone. Cherry challenged her position in Munro's life. She thought for a second that McGuire may have been Cherry especially the way Munro tightened up about her earlier but it couldn't be. This Cherry had class, humor and at face value came of as kind and devoted to Munro in the messages. Mickey was none of those things, just some twat she had to tolerate until the taste in Munro's mouth grew sour.

Munro turned to whisper something in Mickey's eye that made her blush. Zoe watched as his arm snaked around to her waist and squeezed her middle. Mickey nodded her head and he stood first. Zoe watched fuming on the inside as he gathered his and McGuire's things.

 

"Where are you two lovebirds off to?" Zoe pointed out sweetly.

 

"I told you before this don't mean shit to me," Munro shot back before he could catch himself. Zoe felt victorious until she saw the damage she had done. The two had always gone back and forth when it was just she and Munro but when the subject of conversation was standing there it didn't feel so good.

 

She instantly regretted it as a pained look flashed across Mickey's face. Mickey looked up slightly at Munro who looked like a deer in highlights. Mickey snatched her stuff and stalked out of the library.

 

Zoe looked up at Munro who stood flabbergasted which morphed into anger. Without a goodbye Zoe watched him about-face and track after Mickey.

 

Zoe got up from her seat and moved to a window to see them better. Mickey stood behind one of the columns cooling down. Munro who almost didn't see Mickey at first walked up and bear hugged her. She looked as though her immediate reaction was to fight it. He whispered something that seemed to calm her.

 

Zoe watched as Mickey whipped around and chucked the coffee at him before smacking him. That was uncalled for. She watched in pity as Munro looked between the two girls and made his way back into the library causing Zoe to beam. Mickey stood there caught between guilt and grief before locking eyes with Zoe. Mickey shook her head and walked away obviously knowing when to pick her battles. I will always win McGuire no matter how great the pot of fools' gold between your legs appears. You are putrid. Zoe really needed to clean house when it came to these hoes. They have to go, starting with McGuire Steel, maybe this Cherry girl wasn't so bad but she wouldn't have a chance if Munro kept sniffing up Mickey's rotten trunk. 

Smiling sympathetically as she watched Munro walk back in red faced and defeated.

 

"Sorry," Zoe offered in using theater training to convince him. He nodded and returned to the table taking a few napkins and dabbing at his shirt. Munro mumbled curses and Mickey's name under his breath before sitting at the table with his head down.

 

"This may be easier than I thought," Zoe whispered to herself as she went to join her conquered comrade.






Chapter End Notes:

Sorry folks all out of cookies, only first five got theirs.

Mickey isn't the only "villain" in this story, GASP! DUN DUN DUN!!!!

Thanks for making your way here, hope you enjoyed. Let me know what you think.

Come back next time for the cookies!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.