Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is my first story, I hope you enjoy!





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.




“See you tomorrow girl.”

 

“Later.” Anika waved as her co worker got in her car and drove off.

 

Clutching her winter coat to her chest, she knew it was about time she got a new one. Actually she should have brought a new one last winter when the zipper broke off. Winter's in New York was hell and this old coat wasn't gonna cut it anymore.

 

“Great. Just another thing I can't afford”

 

Anika sighed. This was just something else she needed but didn't have the money for. She barely had enough money for the monthly metro card she had to get. Working as a waitress full time did not let her live a luxury life but a 'just making it' one.

 

Soon as Anika reached her apartment she knew something wasn't right.

 

Lord please tell me somebody didn't rob me

 

Living in a bad part of the City. There had been a string of home robberies going around the neighborhood.

 

Taking out her key, just before she put it in the lock, the door opened.

 

“It's one in the morning. Why are you just getting home?!” the angry person demanded.

 

Too shocked for words her mouth just repetitively opened and closed.

 

The man sighed and pulled her into her apartment.

 

“Stop staring at me as if I'm a ghost and answer me?”

 

“Malik?”

 

He nodded his head up and down and looked at her as if she was crazy.

 

“W-What are you doing here?”

 

“What I can't visit my own sister?” he smirked.

 

That did it. Something in Anika snapped and she became pissed. Before either of them knew it she slapped him.

 

“Ouch! What the hell?! What’s your problem!”

 

“You’re my problem. Where the hell you get off coming to my apartment demanding stuff? Five years. Five years! That's how long it's been since I saw you or anybody else part of the Davis family”

 

Malik reached for her but she backed up. She didn't want him touching her. As a matter of fact she didn't even want him in her apartment let alone her face.

 

“Please just let me explain.”

 

“There's nothing to explain. Your family cast me and my mother out once your real mother realized she had a husband and three kids. You don't have to explain that once the original was back there was no more need for the substitute. Me and my mother understood perfectly fine.”

 

“I see talking to you is going to be hard. Maybe momma Nia will be easier to speak to. Where is she?”

 

“Trust me speaking to her is going to be harder than talking to me. But if you must, be my guest”

 

Malik watched as Anika walked down the little hallway and disappeared in the only room back there. A few seconds later she returned with a little box in her hand.

 

“There you go, Malik. Let's see if she want's to here ya bullshit”

 

The hurt look on his face almost made her feel bad. Almost. If it wasn't for his family her mother would still be here.

 

“What happened to her?” he asked barely above a whisper. “Was she sick?”

 

Anika nodded her head no sadly. “Sometimes I wished that was the reason.” She sighed and lend against the wall.  “I remember like it happened just yesterday. My eighteenth birthday was that weekend coming up and she been making payments on this diamond bracelet I wanted. She finally saved up all the money and went to the mall and got it off of layaway. The cops think the guys must of saw her when she brought the necklace and followed her here. I watched from this apartment window as my mother was approached by two guys. I knew something was wrong so I left and tried to run to her. Soon as I reached the door, it was like time slowed down, and I couldn't move fast enough. I heard the gunshot and saw the guys run pass. I finally found the strength to move and I ran to my mother. It took the ambulance forty-five minutes to reach us and by the time they did she had already died in my arms.” Wiping the tears that fell from her eyes, she glared at him. “So you see Malik whatever excuse you have will never be good enough. Your family is the reason my mother is dead and for that I could never forgive y’all. Now if you don't mind its late and I'm tired”

 

Anika opened the door and watched as Malik walked out. Slamming the door shut she slid down it. It was too much she couldn't control her emotions anymore, she broke down right there. She cried for her mother, the family she once loved, and the life she now lived.

 

*  *  *

 

Two weeks went by since that night she found Malik in her apartment. He haven't popped up again and she didn't care. She had too many bills to pay to waste her time on if another Davis was going to make an unwanted visit in her life.

 

“Anika! Table six.”

 

Not paying attention, focused on finding her notepad. She nearly dropped it when she saw who was occupying table six.

 

“God please let this be a dream.”

 

“No dream my sweet child. It's really me. It's your father.”

 

“My father's name was Henry Williams and you Mr. Davis are not him. Now what can I get you gentlemen?”

 

“I guess I deserved that” he mumbled but she heard him.

 

“Trust me you deserve way more. But because I'm at work and my mother raised me right I won't go there”

 

“Is the attitude necessary?” Malik snapped.

 

Marcus put his hand on Malik’s shoulder.

 

“It's okay son. Anika is entitled to her feelings. She's only lashing out because she feels hurt and betrayed”

 

Anika didn't like how Marcus was sitting there talking about her like she wasn't standing at the table. He was wrong though. She was passed the hurt and betrayed stage. She was now at the stage of not caring.

 

“Marcus if you and Malik didn't come here to eat then I'mma have to ask y'all to leave” and to let them know she meant business she put her hands on her hips.

 

Marcus ignored what she said. “Sweetie you're looking a little thin and from the bags under your eyes I could tell you're not getting any sleep. Are you not taking care of yourself?”

 

Anika would never admit it to them, but she wasn't taking care of her body like she was suppose to. She was stressed and putting in long hours at the restaurant. She needed the extra money especially with the situation she was in.

 

Preparing to tell Marcus to mind his business she started feeling a little lightheaded.


Oh god. Please not here. Not in front of them. That was the last thing she remembered thinking before her body shut down and everything blacked out.

 

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.