Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Physically Todd's entire being ached from head to toe. Mentally Dylan's findings hardly did much to inflate his psyche. At first glance, he believed everything was coming together perfectly. Stephen was the bastard he believed him to be. No way, Evangeline would just shrug off the evidence presented but as he continued, it appeared he too might be an unwitting casualty of the fallout yet to come. The best laid plans...huh.

In Evangeline's case though, it was as if she was running on empty. There was too much going on at one time. Everything seemed to be coming all at once. The matter of the impending divorce, having to leave one's home to reestablish herself once again in a place she desperately wanted to forget. Life can be funny that way but certainly, it was no laughing matter. She felt forced back into Todd's trajectory through no fault of her own. As always, Layla kept a keen eye on her shifting mood and worried about the mental strain it may be causing. She skillfully explained to her that this time around everything is under control. She didn't have time for self-pity especially with Trevor to consider. It was truly a wonder that her mother hadn't called or descended upon Llanview but happily she journeyed a world away on a long anticipated European cruise. 

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

Todd remained far too quiet during the drive, sitting stoically, seemingly lost in his own thoughts. Her eyes shifted downward and took notice of his heavily bruised right knuckle. It must have been quite a sparring session. She imagined the various bruises that may lay beneath. It unnerved her to see him hurt which in turn confused her a great deal knowing the depth of the hurt he inflicted upon her.

"You should be ecstatic," she commented in a nondescript manner.

"And what good would that do for me," he replied not gazing in her direction. "We're still not together and may never be." Those last words struck her. He continued, "I've come to realize how much my life has inflicted deep wounds upon yours."

"Don't give me that crap," she lashed out at him. "You think I was naïve enough not to know what I was getting myself into when I chose to be with you especially with your crazy ass ex-wife hovering around like an insatiable vulture." Todd held his head down absorbing her words. "What I expected better from was you. ...You made me feel wanted, appreciated and all I had to give was love and nothing else. I gave it to you. I gave it all to you..." For the first time she cracked up. There were times she just wanted to shake him. He didn't get it. He just didn't get it.

"I chose Blair because it was safe. Our love...our future together scared the hell out of me. I-I can't explain it." He began squeezing his palms together hardly reflecting on the renewed pain. He finally gazed up at her. "I wanted to give you everything but you needed nothing..."

"I needed you!"

"And I'm great at sabotaging anything good that comes into my life. Look at what I did to my kids. Look at what I did to us..." She saw the immense sorrow in his eyes. "That Todd Manning back then would have hurt you in the long run. I didn't want that for my best friend. For my soul..."

He reached out to her but she abruptly turned away from him, leaning her face heavily into her right palm. She hated him yet realized how much she loved him still. It shouldn't be this way. Why did love have to be this difficult; cause so much upheaval? Why did love have to hurt so much? It had strained her; brought her down to her knees but because of that bundle of joy they created together, she was able to rise. I've survived and will continue to do so.

He leaned back and sighed. Here he was hurting her all over again try as he might not to do so. He was so unsure of how to go about fixing the situation, what to say to comfort her. Did she need his comfort anymore? For him there was no seeking out anyone's advice to fix this mess. He never loved another woman the way he loves her but he has always allowed his persona to get in the way of what made common sense - a roadblock to certain happiness. Did he despise himself so much that it meant remaining in misery for the rest of his days?

Suddenly the SUV came to a complete stop. They were no longer in the Llanview, this area so unfamiliar to her. "Where are we?"

"West Chester..."

West Chester laid around ten miles away from the center of Llanview. Todd immediately jumped out from his side of the SUV, ran over to her side and assisted her out. Her eyes immediately fell on the ongoing construction of the Mediterranean styled home evidenced by the building materials scattered around the yard.

"Whose house is this?"

"You like it?"

"I have to admit that it's going to be amazing once completed." From the architectural design to the shaping landscapes, it impressed her a great deal. Why bring her all the way out here.

"It has a huge backyard as well," he said in an even tone.

His words took her back to that conversation they had years ago. Then it dawned on her. "It's yours..."

Todd pushed his hands into his pockets and reflected on the scenery. "In the beginning, I considered it as ours and when we weren't together again I halted construction. Recently I decided to make it into a home for me and the kids. Now that Trevor is here, I think it's time for a change."

"Is this why you've brought me here?"

"Actually no...there is something more important I need to show you."

Todd proceeded onward and Evangeline dutifully followed behind. She discerned the presence of others somewhere lurking in the shadows. Once they stepped through the front door, Evangeline's eyes wandered across the unfinished partitions rising and falling before her. Although divested of furnishings, the detailed designs caught her attention - the upstairs sure to feature bedrooms for the kids. She recalled Todd talking about how excited Jack and Sam were about getting to know their little brother. She strayed off into what she believed to be the living room where she saw the makings of a stone fireplace and the archways leading outside perhaps a Tuscany type design.

"Evangeline!" Todd's mind too wired to focus on anything else. "Come on..."

"Ok...I'm coming."   

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

She kept up as best as she could while Todd strolled quickly passed the unfinished rooms. When they came to the last door, her eyes caught sight of two men dressed in dark clothing, waiting. Her heart rate shot up.

"Todd what are you doing?" Was he dragging her back down into his seedier world once again? She didn't want any part of this.

Before she could turn back around, "Evangeline you need to be here. These guys are part of my security team. Trust me..."

She quickly nodded her head and swallowed still unsure of what might come next.

One of the men opened the door. Like elsewhere it stood as another room undergoing construction with dust and materials scattered around. Evangeline grabbed her chest tightly taking in a sharp breath when her eyes landed on her soon to be ex-husband crumpled in a corner of the room. He appeared very battered and bruised. She grabbed a t ight hold of Todd's forearm.

"Stephen..." Her wide eyes turned towards Todd. "Why did you do this to him? Todd you shouldn't have done this!"

"And you shouldn't waste your pity on that piece of shit besides I gave the bastard a fair shot at me but he's all bark and no bite. That slime ball over there set you up!"

"Set... me...up? How..." A weight fell on her heart and her breathing became ragged. She looked into Stephen's eyes and saw the cold, immediate truth. Their whole life together was a complete lie. "No...no..." Her palms covered her slackened jaw as panic started to set in.

"He received a hefty chunk of change for his service but of course the proceeds were under an assumed name. We all know how clever you are at those pursuits," Todd seethed.

For a brief moment, she went numb then her body became consumed with rage. Evangeline snapped back to reality; took off her wedding rings and threw them at him. "Who paid you? Was it worth it Judas?" she barked at him. "I'm really screwed up for believing all your lies of wanting to be with me and raise Trevor."

"Ha ha ha...you, you lied to yourself. Todd Manning was always going to be there between us, don't believe yourself so innocent sweetheart. So who was playing who?"

"Shut Up Stevie boy or I might forget,,."

"Todd don't...that piece of garbage over there isn't worth it anymore." When Stephen scoffed, Evangeline seriously wanted to take up a piece of stick and continue the beating. "Get him away! Just get him away!"

Todd banged on the wall. Two men quickly entered and began dragging away Stephen who howled in obvious agony and fervently complained about needing a doctor. His constant whining sent Evangeline over the edge. She quickly grabbed a piece of discarded lumber and commenced thrashing Stephen. The men left her to it and for the time, it felt good getting out some of her pent up frustrations. Todd stood by quietly speculating if Stephen was receiving a beating for all the hurts Evangeline had endured at the hands of men who came in and out of her life. One last sigh and Stephen went unconscious, that was enough for Evangeline.

She hastily removed her ponytail, raking her fingers through her hair. She was thinking and pacing at the same time.

"She did this didn't she? Look at me Todd! That crazy ex-wife of yours went to all this trouble. ...How could I have been so naïve to believe that she would leave me alone? Where is she? Bring her now!"

Todd banged the wall two times and instantly an indignant Blair appeared.

"Oh so I see, I'm to be brought before the Ms. High & Mighty..."

"You..."

Todd blocked Evangeline's determined path. There was murderous rage in those dark brown eyes. Over the years, he had ample run-ins with Blair and didn't want his Angel going down that dark pathway.

"Evangeline don't..."

"No Todd, I won't back down from this. She made me waste my life, our son's emotional wellbeing because of her mental issues about us."

Arms tightly folded, Blair leaned forward and with a smug look on her face said, "He should check that...."

Evangeline understood the insinuation quite perfectly. She launched at and caught a fistful of Blair's hair. She was trying her best to get around Todd as Blair screamed out in pain, her arms flailing around. "Get that witch off me! Todd get her off me!"

Todd was having little success against a determined Evangeline. Soon the unexpected ringing of her cell from her discarded bag halted her actions. She didn't think twice about picking up the call, brushing off the clumps of blonde hairs within her grasp.

 

"Look at what she did to my hair! My face!"

"Shut up Blair. Enough!"

 

 

"Hey Evangeline someone wants to talk to you," Jessica remarked from the other end of the line.

"Mommy ok?"

Just hearing Trevor's voice calmed her down considerably. She took let out a breath "Yes mommy is ok," she smiled. "How are you? What are you doing?" she asked as she secured her purse. She walked out of the room taking that time to concentrate on the true happiness in her life.

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

"Todd I'm getting tired of you taking her side..."

Todd raked a palm over his face. "Don't play this shit with me. You know exactly what you've done!"

"Todd whatever you believe...." Both Blair's eyes and voice pleaded but Todd wasn't having any of it.

"You did it all," he began moving towards her. "You knew it all and you made Evangeline and our son suffer because of your delusions about us being together. ...I believe it's time for you to take some time away, get back some focus in your life.."

"Todd what are you talking about? You're scaring me...," she readily admitted taking a few steps back.

"You ought to be scared. Consider yourself lucky that you are the mother of my kids... For the next few years say goodbye to life as you know it. Every year you kept me away from my true family is the time you are going to spend in St. Ann's. Say hi to your mother."

Blair sank to the floor holding both sides of her face, tears streaming down her face. Todd stared down at her wondering what he ever saw in her except the darkness and manipulative natures that connected them. The hurt, anger, disgust, shame, malice; it is a wonder that two beautiful children sprung out of such depravity.

"You can't do this. You just can't do this." She sniffled. "You can't take me away from my kids, my home, my life..."

"Your singing career, your business deals," Todd continued mockingly. "Oh yes I can. It's already done," he said calmly with mirth in his tone.

"I hate you! I hate you! I HATE YOU!"

"At last." He sank down next to her and whispered by her ear, "Evangeline is and will forever be the love of my life..."

Blair began pounding at him like a mad woman, using whatever strength she still possessed to punch and claw into him. She did everything for him and their family and all he wanted to do was run after that whore. Finally, Todd pushed her aside like a piece of ragdoll. 

"This is not over Todd!"

 

 

֍֍֍֍

 

Evangeline awoke up with a start. Where am I? She asked herself in a panicked state. The glare from the living room lights briefly blurred her vision as she opened her eyes. She was trying to get her bearings while surveying her immediate surroundings. Todd's penthouse but why, how?

"I didn't want to wake you." She heard his voice and spun around to see him gazing nervously at her. "I found you sound asleep in one of the rooms and decided it best to bring you here."

"Thanks..." She stared down at the blanket draping half her body.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah I guess my body really needed a rest. Where's Trevor, what time is it?" She asked rubbing her palms over her face.

"Trevor is upstairs asleep..."

"Upstairs asleep?"

"Yeah you've been asleep for quite a few hours. Don't worry Layla knows you're here. She might not be particularly happy about it but understands you were in no shape for her to drag you out of here," he chuckled while rising to his feet.

"Where are you going?"

"To get you something to eat..."

"Ok..."

 

She jumped off the couch and made a beeline for the bathroom. Once inside she did her best to straighten out her disheveled features by washing her face, combing her hair and freshening her breath. She sighed at her cracked and broken nails. An appointment in the morning more than necessary.

Next stop, upstairs to check-in on Trevor. She was grateful he was young and oblivious to mayhem swirling around his parents. Todd was never going to be the quintessential father but his mother had her own share of faults. As he grew there was bound to be many questions.

"Hopefully your parents make better decisions from here on," she said kissing his forehead.

 

♥♥♥♥♥

By the time she returned downstairs, she found Todd waiting with a couple of beers and sandwiches. They sat side by side on the stairs eating rather quietly with Evangeline indulging in a fair amount of the ham sandwiches. It was clear Blair and Stephen weren't on the agenda; it was about them. More about that conversation that began earlier in the vehicle and never truly ended.

"Where do we go from here right," Todd remarked taking a swig of his beer.

He didn't want to say much afterwards, affecting whatever chance they may have of moving forward. They expressed so much during that car ride that he now believed that this part was merely the conclusion of the long overdue conversation.  

"You can't forgive me no more than I can forgive myself but that doesn't mean that I won't fight for our future. There's so much at stake..."

"I know. I've forgiven you a long time ago Todd but I've never forgotten..."

 

 

He turned to her with tears in his eyes. "What can I do to make this right? I'll do anything...anything," he stressed. He slid his fingers in between hers and held it there.

"I love you," she said without hesitation. No matter how much distance stood between them, the love remained an immovable force.

"I love you too. I love you so damn much."

He felt this huge burden suddenly lifting. The life and family he yearned for was within reach. Instantly he pulled her into his embrace. She saw it too. Seeing that house brought everything into focus.

She gazed up at him with a twinkle in her eyes. "Don't ever get on my bad side..."

"I'm well aware of the consequences."

His lips covered hers in a crushing, bruising kiss. Their tongues dueled inside of the other's mouth twisting, curving, and pleasuring without end. The long absence making them enjoy the taste, feel and wanting more.

This was only the first step. Tomorrow brought along its own set of issues including resistance from those around them.

"How about we go upstairs," he said kissing the side of her lips.

"Hold on Manning we're not at that stage yet. You have much work to do to earn back this taste of honey," she whispered slyly by his ear. Todd chuckled aloud. Spending time in her arms was best for now but he'll find a way to end this penance. 






Chapter End Notes:

Sorry I took so long guys but I haven't been feeling well lately and it has been affecting me writing this story. I believe I have one more chapter in me. Thanks so much for your support of this story!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.