Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This story has been published.

 

K.Carr




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Two  days.  That  was  all  it  took  before  the  media  found  out  about  our  engagement.  How?  Only  God  knew!  Matt  hadn't  even  told  his  family  yet  and  I  dreaded  their  reaction.  I  looked  over  at  Dante  as  we  did  our  warm-up  stretches.  He  was  being  a  bit  guarded  about  it  all.  Oh,  he  congratulated  me  when  I  told  him,  but  it  didn't  seem  sincere.  He  was  more  concerned  about  the  blow-out  I'd  had  with  my  family.  He  made  me  rehash  every  word  uttered  and  then  hugged  me  tight  before  saying  it  was  long  overdue.  I  had  cried  a  bit  more  and  Dante  had  assured  me  things  would  only  get  better,  that  they  would  come  around  once  they  accepted  their  previous  abhorrent  behaviour  and  apologized  for  it.  I  could  only  wish.  Aunt  Cleo's  face  when  she  said  we  were  finished  was  burnt  into  my  memory.  She  had  looked  so  hurt,  wounded,  betrayed.  I  had  betrayed  my  family. 

"Madi,  the  reporters  are  still  out  front!"  Bri  fumed  as  she  walked  into  the  fishbowl.  "Gloria  said  she  was  going  to  call  the  police  if  they  didn't  leave.  You'd  think  it  was  Prince  William  you  were  engaged  to."

I  laughed  at  the  thought  as  I  retorted,  "Well,  he's  already  married  to  a  beautiful  woman,  although  when  I  first  moved  here  I  hoped  somehow  I  would  catch  his  eye  and  he  would  fall  madly  in  love  with  me.  Ah  well,  no  throne  for  me."

Dante  choked  on  his  laughter,  then  Bri  started  laughing  too  as  she  placed  one  leg  atop  the  barre  and  began  stretching.

"What?"  I  asked.  "I'm  princess  material,  hell,  I'm  a  Queen  in  this  upcoming  production."

Dante  laughed  even  harder.  Huh.  It  wasn't  that  farfetched.  It  could  happen.  I  mean,  look  at  Matt  and  me.  That  got  me  thinking  about  my  knight.  When  we  flew  home  on  Saturday,  his  driver  had  been  waiting  to  ferry  us  to  Matt's  Kensington  home.  George  had  spotted  the  ring  gracing  my  hand  in  mere  seconds.  His  face  had  gone  all  sorts  of  pale;  shocked  pale,  disbelieving  pale,  my  boss  has  lost  his  mind  pale.  Then  Matt  had  said:  ‘Aren't  you  going  to  congratulate  us,  George?'            

Poor  George.  His  stammered  congratulations  were  far  from  his  usual  poise.  And  the  ease  between  us  had  become  quite  awkward  that  day.  So  much  so,  I  had  decided  to  spend  the  rest  of  the  weekend  at  my  place.  Which  raised  another  problem.  Matt  wanted  me  to  move  in  with  him  at  once.  I  didn't  want  to.  I  liked  my  own  space.  Plus  my  house  was  much  closer  to  my  place  of  work.  Moving  in  with  Matt  wasn't  high  on  my  agenda  and  when  I  mentioned  that  he'd  gone  all  silent  before  notifying  me  it  was  inevitable  as  we  would  be  living  there  once  we  were  married  and  it  was  best  to  speed  up  the  process  by  moving  in  immediately.  I  hadn't  really  thought  about  the  ins  and  outs  of  being  engaged.  It  was  still  unbelievable  that  we  had  reach  this  stage  in  our  relationship  in  such  a  short  space  of  time.  But  Matt  was  a  man  who  saw  what  he  wanted  and  took  it.

And  it  seemed  he  wanted  me.  I  grinned  at  my  reflection.  Forget  the  Royal  family,  I  had  my  own  prince.

"First  of  December,  people!"  Liam  shouted  as  he  walked  into  the  fishbowl  with  a  furrow  between  his  brow.  "Two  weeks  before  opening night.  I  want  things  perfect.  Sublime.  I  want  those  bastards  to  see  our  greatness  on  the  stage.  They  will  weep  with  joy  over  our  production.  They  will  line  the  streets  shouting  our  names.  We  will  be  great."

Dante  and  I  exchanged  a  glance.  Liam  always  got  a  bit  dramatic  when  it  came  to  opening  night.  He  was  a  theatrical  being.  A  tall,  lanky  being  who  had  once  again  misplaced  the  office  phone.  I  should  start  charging  him  for  its  use.

"Mental."  Bri  muttered  under  her  breath. 

Soon  enough  everyone  who  needed  to  be  in  had  arrived  and  we  focused  on  getting  things  right.  Unfortunately  the  lights  above  the  stage  were  being  redone  today  hence  our  use  of  the  fishbowl. 

"Madi,"  Gloria  opened  the  door  and  gestured  to  me.  "You've  got  a  call."

My  heart  jumped  into  my  throat.  Every  time  my  cell  beeped,  or  the  house  phone  rang,  I  would  get  this  flutter  of  hope  intermingled  with  dread.  Hope  that  it  was  my  Aunt,  and  dread  that  it  was  indeed  my  Aunt.  I  was  a  conflicted  person  at  the  moment. 

"Who  is  it?"  I  asked  once  I  shut  the  door  behind  me  and  followed  her  down  the  hall  way.

Gloria  tittered  and  shot  me  this  girly  look  over  her  shoulder.  "That  man  of  yours."

"What?"  I  stopped,  folding  my  arms  across  my  chest  before  spinning  on  my  heels.  "Tell  him  I'm  busy."

"I  did!"  She  grabbed  my  arm.  "But  he  ordered  me  to  get  you  and,"

I  arched  an  eyebrow  at  her.

"He's  so  commanding,  Madi.  I  couldn't  tell  him  no.  He's  a  billionaire  for  Christ's  sakes!"

I  grunted  something  unintelligent  under  my  breath  and  started  back  in  the  direction  of  my  office  with  a  relieved  Gloria  at  my  side.

"Line  2,"  she  said  as  I  opened  my  office  door.  "And  I've  called  the  police  about  those  reporters  out  front.  Hopefully  they'll  send  someone  to  shoo  them  away."

I  waved  her  off  and  strode  over  to  my  messy  desk.  "Of  all  the-"  I  had  forgotten  the  handset  was  missing.  I  hurried  out  my  office  to  the  reception  area  and  grabbed  up  the  phone  on  Gloria's  desk.

"Kind  of  busy  today,  Matt,"  Was  my  greeting.

"Hello,  poppet,"  His  deep  voice  was  warm  with  affection  and  I  tried  to  fight  my  smile.  "And  I  know  you're  busy,  so  am  I,  but  we've  been  invited  to  dinner  by  my  parents.  I  tried  your  mobile  numerous  times,"  There  was  a  touch  of  reproach  in  his  voice.  He  didn't  like  when  I  couldn't  be  reached.

"Matt-"

"Seven  pm,  so  you'll  need  to  leave  work  early  today."  he  cut  me  off.  "I'll  send  the  car  around  to  pick  you  up  and  we  can  meet  at  the  restaurant.  Hold  a  moment,  poppet."

Music  filled  my  ears.  He'd  put  me  on  hold.  The  cheeky  tyrant  had  put  me  on  hold.  He  was  lucky  I  loved  him  so  much.

"Sorry  about  that,  poppet,"  he  said  five  minutes  later.  "Now  where  were  we?"

"Dinner  with  your  parents  at  7,"  I  replied.

"Yes,  so  I'll  be  leaving  straight  from  the  office  as  I'm  swamped  with  work.  I  swear  there  aren't  enough  hours  in  the  day  to  get  everything  done.  And  the  bloody  media!  The  last  thing  I  wanted  was  for  our  engagement  to  be  blasted  across  the  papers  before  I'd  even  had  the  chance  to  share  our  news  with  my  family.  Hence  this  dinner  invitation  tonight."

My  smile  softened.  I  could  picture  him  behind  his  desk.  Jacket  off  and  shirt  sleeves  rolled  up  as  he  and  Adam  ruled  their  empire  from  Central  London.

"Poppet,  I  don't  want  you  to  be  nervous  about  tonight,"  he  suddenly  said.

"I'm  not,"  I  said,  it  was  the  truth.  I  wasn't  nervous,  I  was  way  past  nervous.  Scared  shitless  and  envisioning  a  scene  where  Matt's  mom  tossed  a  drink  in  my  face  while  calling  me  a  gold-digging  hussy.  Of  course,  that  would  never  happen.  Portia  Bradley  oozed  upper  class  superiority,  creating  a  scene  in  public  would  be  beneath  the  likes  of  her.

"Hmm,  I  don't  believe  you,  poppet,"  Matt  mused.  I  stopped  picturing  the  drink  in  my  face  and  focus  on  the  most  pressing  problem  about  the  pending  dinner.

"What  shall  I  wear,  Matt?"

"I'm  sure  whatever  you  wear  will  be  nice,  poppet,"  Matt  replied.  I  could  tell  he  was  only  half  paying  attention  to  me  now  and  the  muffled  sound  of  someone  talking  in  the  background  could  be  heard  from  his  side.

"Matt,  I  want  to  make  a  good  second  impression,  wait  this  will  be  the"  I  recalled  the  number  of  times  I'd  seen  Matt's  parents.  "Third  time  I'm  meeting  them.  I  want  to  make  a  good  3rd  impression."

"Anything  you  wear  will  be  fine,  poppet.  Look,  I  must  dash.  Love  you  and  see  you  at  seven."

I  held  the  phone  against  my  ear,  listening  to  that  dial  tone.  Ah.  He  was  so  lucky  I  loved  him  the  way  I  did.  I  put  the  phone  back  in  its  cradle,  smiled  tightly  at  Gloria  who  was  trying  to  act  like  she  hadn't  been  eavesdropping  on  my  conversation,  then  hurried  away.  I  would  worry  about  dinner  later,  right  now  I  needed  to  dance  my  toes  off.

Dante  wasn't  pleased  with  me  leaving  at  5:30,  neither  was  I.  We  had  so  much  to  do  and  so  little  time.  At  least  we  were  sold  out.  Silver  lining  and  all  that.  Dante  had  also  repaid  Geoffrey  while  I  was  home,  I  mean,  New  York.  I  had  to  stop  thinking  of  it  as  home.  Home  was  synonymous  with  family  and  I  was  now  an  outcast.  I  consoled  myself  with  the  fact  it  hadn't  even  been  a  full  week  since  the  blow-out.  Maybe  Aunt  Cleo  would  forgive  me  and  call.  I  had  sent  Jenny  that  cheque,  that  had  to  give  me  some  sort  of  edge.  I  let  out  a  bitter  laugh  as  I  walked  towards  my  vehicle,  ignoring  the  flurry  of  activity  at  the  front  gates.  The  police  hadn't  come  as  per  Gloria's  request.  It  seemed  being  hounded  by  the  press  wasn't  a  crime.  They  told  her  unless  a  danger  was  being  posed  and  they  were  off  private  property,  there  was  nothing  they  could  do.  I  made  sure  the  doors  were  locked  once  I  got  behind  the  wheel  then  pulled  out  of  the  parking  lot,  beeping  my  horn  furiously  when  some  fool  of  a  man  placed  himself  in  front  the  Cayenne.  That  stall  in  the  vehicle's  movement  was  enough  for  the  others  to  swarm  around.  Flashing  lights  and  shouted  questions  assailed  me.  I  sighed  and  pressed  the  horn  again.  I  did  not  need  this  crap.  I  revved,  giving  the  man  a  death  stare  through  the  windscreen.  If  it  was  his  wish  to  be  mowed  down  by  a  SUV  I  would  certainly  grant  it.  He  had  five  more  seconds.  I  revved  the  engine  again  and  he  must  have  finally  noticed  the  crazed  look  on  my  face  because  he  jumped  aside,  allowing  me  the  chance  to  escape  with  a  screech  of  wheels.  They  would  eventually  give  up.  Right?

Half  an  hour  later  I  parked  in  front  my  house  and  hurried  inside  with  my  stuff.  I  was  sweaty,  my  hair  needed  a  wash,  I  had  no  idea  what  to  wear...I  really  didn't  want  to  have  dinner  with  Matt's  parents.  Every  time  his  mom  looked  at  me  I  felt  like  something  she'd  scraped  off  her  shoe.  All  thoughts  of  wowing  them  had  flown  out  the  window  after  dinner  at  their  place  those  months  ago.  At  least  at  a  restaurant  the  chances  of  me  humiliating  myself  were  slim.  When  the  knock  on  my  front  door  came  I  was  ready,  just  barely,  and  my  hair  although  pulled  back  into  a  neat  side  bun,  was  still  damp.  I  grabbed  my  purse  up  and  headed  out  the  front  door.

A  growl  of  annoyance  left  my  mouth  at  the  limo  parked  across  the  street.  The  driver  was  already  hurrying  in  front  of  me  to  reach  the  door  vehicle's  before  I  could.  My  choice  of  outfit  was  a  no  brainer.  I  had  no  idea  where  we  were  having  dinner  tonight  and  I  couldn't  go  wrong  with  a  black  cocktail  dress.  The  blue  silk  scarf  knotted  around  my  neck  was  the  only  splash  of  colour  on  my  body.  Oh  wait,  the  massive  red  diamond  on  my  left  hand  added  some  colour.  I  nervously  fiddled  with  the  pearl  studs  in  my  ear. 

"Do  you  know  where  we're  heading?"  I  asked  the  driver  through  the  open  partition.  Ignoring  my  inner  voice  saying:  of  course  he  does,  you  fool,  he's  driving  you  there!

"Yes,  Ms  DuMont,"  he  answered  jovially,  catching  my  eyes  in  the  mirror.  "It's  Sketch  in  Mayfair."

I  chewed  my  glossy  lips.  "I've  never  been  there  before.  What  type  of  restaurant  is  it?"

"French,"  The  driver  supplied.  "Some  big  name  Frenchie  with  too  many  Michelin  stars  founded  it.  If  you  ask  me  our  home  grown  lads  are  just  as  good.  You  want  to  buckle  up,  Ms  DuMont?  That's  a  French  sounding  name.  Are  you  French?"

"No,  ah,  no,  I'm  English,"  I  replied,  wondering  how  much  conversation  I  should  have  with  the  man.  Matt  was  quite  a  stickler  for  propriety  when  it  came  to  things  like  these.

"English?"  he  barked  out  as  the  limo  lurched  into  motion.  I  buckled  up  quickly.  "You  don't  sound  English.  Sound  more  like  a  yank  to  me."

"Ah,  well  I  grew  up  in  the  States,"  I  volunteered.

The  man  gave  me  a  teasing  grin.  "I'm  just  joshing  you,  Ms  DuMont.  I  know  who  you  are.  You're  Mr  Bradley's  bird.  Read  about  you  two  in  the  papers  today."

"Ok."  I  said.  Maybe  I  should  press  the  button  to  close  the  partition.  Where  was  the  button?

"Told  my  Missus  I  was  driving  you  tonight  and  she  went  all  excited.  Wanting  me  to  ask  you  all  sorts  of  questions,"  He  sent  me  a  quick  glance  in  the  mirror  again.  "But  I  told  her  I'm  a  professional  driver  and  we  don't  question  the  people  we're  driving  around."

Where  was  it?  Damn  button,  hiding  from  me.

"I've  been  doing  this  for  about  ten  years  now.  Driving  rich  people  about-"

"I'm  not  rich."  I  responded  without  thinking.

"Oh  don't  worry  about  it.  You're  all  set  to  marry  Mr  Bradley,  right?  Like  I  said,  I  read  about  you  two  in  the  papers  today.  And  he's  as  minted  as  they  come."

Oh  crap.  This  was  definitely  not  the  accepted  passenger/driver  conversation  to  be  having.

"But  you're  a  normal  bird,"  he  mused.  "I  can  tell  from  one  look  at  you.  No  airs  and  graces  at  all.  Ha.  I'm  sure  you  go  to  your  local  on  a  Friday  night  with  your  friends."

"Ah,  not  anymore,"  I  replied.  Didn't  want  him  thinking  I  was  down  the  pub  every  Friday.  "I'm  too  busy  nowadays."  Oh  double  dose  of  crap.  He  was  drawing  me  in.  What  if  he  was  recording  this  conversation?  What  if  he  had  a  secret  camera  installed  in  the  back  here  that  just  caught  me  fixing  my  bra  strap?  Where  was  that  button?

"Well,  you  seem  to  be  nice.  Those  things  they're  writing  about  you  on  the  internet,  humph,  bunch  of  trolls  if  you  ask  me.  It's  easy  for  someone  to  comment  on  something  that  doesn't  concern  them  from  behind  a  screen.  Let  them  say  that  to  your  face  and  I'm  sure  Mr  Bradley  will  sort  them  out."

Ok.  This  was  getting  too  familiar.  Button,  button,  where  art  thou?  Shouldn't  it  be  on  a  console?  Oh  there  it  was.  Now  I  knew  where  the  button  was  I  felt  too  guilty  to  press  it.  I  didn't  want  to  hurt  his  feelings.

"So  are  you  from  London?"  I  asked.  It  was  better  if  we  spoke  about  him  and  not  me.

"I'm  from  the  Isle  of  Wight."  he  said  proudly.

"Oh,  that's  nice."

"I  don't  live  there  anymore,  mind  you.  Met  the  Missus  20  years  ago  and  that  was  that.  I  try  to  go  back  a  few  times  each  year  but  my  Missus  is  a  London  girl.  Won't  go  too  far  or  she'll  break  out  in  hives,"  he  laughed  loudly.  "At  least  that's  what  she  tells  me."

I  laughed  politely  with  him.  If  Matt  was  here  he  would've  cleared  his  throat  to  show  his  displeasure  then  wound  the  partition  up.  Hell,  if  Matt  was  here  I  doubted  the  driver  would've  been  this  friendly.

So  for  the  whole  drive  to  Mayfair  my  finger  hovered  above  the  button  but  the  partition  never  got  raised.  When  we  arrived,  he  opened  my  door  and  smiled  at  me.  I  glanced  up  at  the  building.

"Ah,  is  it-"

"The  Lecture  Room  &  Library,  Ms  DuMont."  he  advised  as  I  gripped  my  purse  and  walked  towards  a  night  of  tension  with  my  future-in-laws.  Oh  my  god.  That  sounded  so  weird  in  my  head.  In-laws.  I  was  going  to  have  in-laws.  Oh  shit.  I  was  engaged.  I  glanced  at  my  engagement  ring,  checking  it  was  still  there.  The  staircase  leading  up  to  the  restaurant  was  very  impressive  and  I  felt  a  bit  disappointed  it  was  too  dark  outside  to  see  the  natural  light  pouring  through  the  glass  ceiling  dome.  Maybe  Matt  and  I  could  come  here  sometime  in  the  future.

The  suit  and  tie  man  guarding  the  way  into  the  restaurant  looked  me  up  and  down,  subtly  of  course,  but  I  caught  it.  I  straightened  my  spine  even  more.

"Reservation?"  he  asked  politely.

I  couldn't  go  wrong  with  the  answer.  All  the  people  at  dinner  tonight  had  the  same  last  name,  bar  me.  Oh  shit.  Matt  wanted  me  to  take  his  name.  I  wasn't  too  sure  about  that.

"Bradley."  I  replied  coolly.

"Of  course,"  he  said  waving  someone  over.  "I'll  have  someone  show  you  to  your  table."

I  smiled  at  him  and  tried  to  will  my  body  to  stop  sweating.  Matt  would  be  here  and  he  wouldn't  let  his  parents  badger  me.  He  would  definitely  stop  his  mom  from  throwing  a  drink  in  my  face  if  she  had  a  momentary  lapse  of  cultured  behaviour. 

Another  suit  and  tie  man  led  me  to  the  table  and  I  started  sweating  in  earnest  as  I  saw  Matt's  parents  but  didn't  see  my  knight.  Was  he  in  the  men's  room?

I  flashed  them  my  Colgate  smile,  the  one  I  only  brought  out  for  special  occasions.

"Hello,  Mr  and  Mrs  Bradley,"  I  murmured  as  suit  and  tie  no.2  pulled  my  chair  out  and  scooted  me  in  when  I  partially  sat  down.  I  hated  that  in  restaurants.  It  was  so  awkward.  You  had  to  hover  above  the  chair  while  they  pushed  it  forward  and  it  always  banged  your  knees.

"Madison,"  William  Jnr  greeted  while  Portia's  gaze  was  fixed  on  the  ring  I  wore. 

"Has  Matt  not  arrived  as  yet?"  I  asked,  shooting  quick  glances  around.  Please  let  him  be  in  the  washroom.

"No,"  William  Jnr  said,  confirming  my  worst  fear.  "Unfortunately  he  has  not."

"Oh,"  I  said  then  promptly  fell  silent.  Matt's  mom  still  had  to  address  me  verbally.

"Would  you  like  to  order  a  drink?"  A  female  waiter  suddenly  appeared  from  behind  with  a  bright  dazzler  on  her  mouth.

"Ah,  yes,  can  I  have  a-"  The  list  of  respectable  drinks  flashed  before  my  eyes  but  I  heard  the  words,  "Whiskey,  please."  come  out  instead.

Portia's  gaze  hardened  while  William  Jnr  gave  me  a  surprised  look,  begrudging  surprise.  Was  he  a  whiskey  drinker  too?  Did  we  have  something  in  common  besides  our  mutual  love  for  his  youngest  son?

When  my  whiskey  was  delivered  to  the  table,  it  was  intense  self-control  which  allowed  me  to  take  a  dainty  sip  instead  of  downing  it  in  one.  I  would  make  Matt  suffer  for  this. 

"Let  us  deal  with  the  elephant  in  the  room,  shall  we?"  Portia  began  in  a  silky  voice.  "It  appears  our  son  has  proposed  to  you."

I  managed  a  feeble  smile  and  nodded  before  taking  a  larger  sip  of  my  whiskey.  Damn  you,  Matt,  wherever  you  are,  damn  you!

"I  do  not  think  you  are  a  fool,  Madison,"  she  said  coldly.  "You  are  fully  aware  that  my  husband  and  I  are  not  pleased  with  the  relationship  between  you  and  our  son."

I  took  another  gulp.  This  was  the  most  she'd  ever  spoken  to  me.  I  wished  I  hadn't  been  so  eager  to  have  her  speak  to  me  before.

"Matt  and  I  love  each  other,"  I  said.  Why  did  my  voice  sound  so  timid?  Why  didn't  I  just  say:  fuck  off,  blondie.  Your  son  loves  this  chocolate  sundae.

"I'm  sure  he  loves  you  in  his  own  special  way,"  she  said.  The  way  she  said  it  made  me  feel  like  a  tart,  as  Gloria  would  say.  Tart.  Maybe  I  should  feel  like  a  pastry  instead  of  a  slut.

"And  I'm  certain  you  love  his  financial  worth,"  she  continued.  My  eyes  widened  in  disbelief.  She  had  said  it.  She  had  just  thrown  it  out  there.  What  next? 

"Then  you  would  be  mistaken,  Mrs  Bradley.  Matt's  wealth  has  nothing  to  do  with  the  way  I  feel  about  him."

Portia  looked  at  her  husband,  as  if  passing  the  ball.  When  he  opened  his  mouth  I  knew  the  ball  had  indeed  been  passed.

"You  must  understand  why  we  would  be  concerned,  Madison,"  William  Jnr  said,  he  was  going  for  the  fatherly  tone.  "Put  yourself  in  our  position.  Many  people  see  us  as  meal  tickets,  many  try  to  insinuate  themselves  into  our  lives  with  hopes  of  monetary  gain.  Now,  our  Matthew  is  a  clever  man,"

"Very  intelligent,"  I  agreed.  My  face  was  flaming.  I  wasn't  sure  if  it  was  just  anger  or  whether  I  had  tipped  over  the  line  into  fury. 

"He  is  also  very  cunning,"  William  Jnr  continued.  "I'm  not  sure  if  he's  mentioned  this  but  we  had  been  placing  undue  pressure  on  him  to  settle  down  and  we  believe,"  Here  he  shared  a  glance  with  his  wife  then  turned  back  to  me.  "We  believe  that  your  relationship  is  simply  a  method  for  Matt  to  get  his  point  across."

My  whiskey  tumbler  was  empty.  I'd  been  sipping  quickly  while  Matt's  dad  spoke.  "And  what  point  would  that  be,  Mr  Bradley?"

"That  he  won't  tolerate  our  interference  in  his  life  on  this  issue,"  Portia  said. 

"I  see."  I  replied  in  a  quiet  voice.

"Do  you?"  she  asked.  "I  feel  terrible  that  Matt  is  using  you  to  get  his  point  across.  It  is  quite  distasteful  to  be  honest.  Flaunting  you  as  his  prospective  wife  when  we  all  know  that  he  has  no  intention  of  going  through  with  it  is  embarrassing  for  us.  He  is  simply  using  you  to  remind  us  that  he  will  not  be  forced  into  something  which  he  feels  he's  not  yet  ready  for."

"I  love  your  son."  I  said,  motioning  to  another  waiter  that  I  needed  another  drink.  Hell,  I  needed  a  lot  more  drinks.

"If  you  truly  loved  him  you  would  not  be  going  along  with  this  farce."  Portia  said  in  a  hard  voice.  "If  you  truly  loved  him  you  would  know  that  there  is  no  place  for  you  in  his  world.  If  you  felt  any  true  emotion  other  than  greed  for  my  son's  wealth  you  would  see  that  being  with  you  will  only  tarnish  his  standing-"

"Why?"  I  interrupted.  "Because  I'm  black  and  he's  not?"

Portia  tilted  her  head,  cold  blue  eyes  travelling  over  me.  "That  is  not  the  main  reason  but  it  is  a  factor.  It  is  because  you  are  not  of  our  social  background.  You  do  not  possess  the  gentility  nor  the  intelligence  to  fit  in  the  life  of  my  son."

"Portia,"  William  Jnr  called  quietly  and  she  paused  for  a  moment. 

I  needed  that  pause.  It  was  a  godsend.  That  pause  allowed  me  to  breathe,  to  control  my  facial  expression.  That  pause  gave  me  a  moment  to  think.  She  thought  I  was  dumb  too?  I  had  a  MFA,  it  was  hard  to  study  and  dance  but  I  had  done  it.

"What  my  wife  is  trying  to  say,"  William  Jnr  started  politely.

"I'm  not  good  enough  for  your  son,  I  get  it,"  I  said  quickly,  stopping  when  the  waiter  came  with  another  drink  for  me.  He  took  the  empty  glass  away  and  I  smiled  thank  you. 

"He  does  not  love  you,"  Portia  said  once  we  were  alone  again.  "At  least  not  in  the  way  you  believe.  You  are  a  diversion  for  him,  a  novelty,  someone  to  be  used  to  make  his  point  known.  I  am  sorry  if  you  find  my  comments  too  direct  but  I  have  to  speak  my  mind  concerning  this  intolerable  situation.  I  want  what's  best  for  my  son  and  you  are  not  it."

I  picked  up  the  tumbler  and  downed  the  whiskey  in  one.  I  needed  the  burn  to  warm  my  cold  insides. 

"Matt  wants  to  be  with  me,"  I  said  once  the  blazing  fire  in  my  throat  had  slowed  to  a  low  burn.  "And  I  think  once  he  arrives  he  can  explain  exactly  how  much  we  mean  to  each  other."

His  mother  did  not  like  what  I  said.  Her  cold  blue  eyes  went  artic.  "You  mean  nothing  more  than  carnal  pleasure  to  my  son.  I  tell  you  this  not  to  be  hurtful,  but  to  save  yourself  the  embarrassment  once  Matthew  calls  an  end  to  this  relationship  of  yours.  Can  you  not  see  he's  doing  it  solely  to  retaliate  for  the  pressure  we've  placed  upon  him  to  settle  down?"

I  gestured  to  the  waiter  again  before  answering.  William  Jnr  arched  an  eyebrow.  Just  like  Matt  would.  "Maybe  he's  doing  exactly  what  you  wanted,  settling  down,  that  is;  and  I'm  the  person  he  wants  to  do  it  with." 

There.  Put  that  in  your  pipe  and  smoke  it,  Mrs-Artic-Eyes-who-pushed-my-knight-out-her-lady-bits-37-years-ago.  Whoo.  That  was  a  long  one.

The  waiter  came  over  again  with  a  fresh  tumbler.  I  raised  it  to  my  lips  then  caught  a  glimpse  of  Matt  from  the  corner  of  my  eye.  I  put  the  glass  down  and  twisted  in  my  seat  to  watch  him  stride  confidently  towards  the  table.

"Mum,  Dad,"  He  patted  his  father  on  the  back  and  kissed  his  mother's  cheek  before  coming  over  to  take  the  seat  next  to  me.  "Apologies  for  my  lateness,  something  came  up  at  the  office."  Then  he  leaned  over  and  tongued  me  in  front  his  parents.  When  we  came  up  for  air,  he  winked  at  me  and  said,  "Sorry  I'm  late,  poppet."

"It's  ok,"  I  murmured,  noting  his  mother's  stony  expression  as  I  let  my  hands  fall  to  my  lap.  "Your  parents  and  I  were  just  getting  to  know  each  other."

"Well  that's  lovely,"  Matt  said  with  a  dazzling  smile  as  he  beckoned  a  waiter  over.  "Bring  me  some  Macallan  whiskey  and  the  menus."

"1964,  Sir?"  The  waiter  asked  eagerly.

Before  Matt  could  nod  I  spoke  up.  "No.  Just  bring  him  what  I'm  drinking,  please."

"Poppet,"  Matt  groused.

I  gave  him  a  disgusted  look.  "That's  a  £12000  bottle  of  whiskey,  Matt.  Don't  be  ridiculous."

His  mouth  curled  into  a  slow  smile.  "How  do  you  know  that?"

"I  like  my  whiskey,  Matt."  I  replied  and  with  a  tight  smile  in  his  parents'  direction  I  raised  my  glass  in  salute  and  downed  it  in  one.

"Ah,"  Matt  eyed  me.  "Is  that  your  first?"

"Third."  His  father  supplied  with  an  eyebrow  arched.  Matt's  own  eyebrow  popped  up.  Like  father,  like  son.

"Ah,  I  see."  Matt  said,  giving  me  questioning  eyes.  I  looked  away  and  let  my  hands  fall  to  my  lap  once  more.  This  sucked  ass.  His  parents  were  never  going  to  accept  me.  Why  the  fuck  had  I  let  this  get  so  far?  I  remembered  the  morning  after  we'd  slept  together  for  the  first  time.  I  had  told  myself  it  was  all  going  to  end  in  tears.  Being  the  fool,  I  hadn't  listened  to  my  inner  voice.  I  had  swirled  for  too  long  and  gotten  addicted  to  my  knight.  It  was  all  going  to  end  in  tears.  Forget  the  flawless  diamond  on  my  finger,  forget  his  fiery  admissions  of  love;  I'd  lost  my  family  to  this  drama.  One  family  was  enough.  As  strong-willed  as  Matt  was,  I  knew  being  ostracized  from  his  family  would  hurt  him  deeply.  I  sighed  and  looked  at  Matt.  He  was  watching  me,  well  watching  my  hands  actually;  intently.  I  glanced  down  at  my  hands  and  stilled  them. 

Matt  looked  up  at  me  and  frowned.  Then  he  turned  his  head  in  his  parents'  direction  and  asked  casually,  "So,  what  have  you  three  discussed  in  my  absence?"

"Inconsequential  things,"  Portia  breathed  out,  sending  Matt  a  beatific  motherly  smile.  Matt  looked  at  me,  questioning  it,  and  I  nodded  with  a  small  smile.  Yes,  in  their  eyes  I  was  inconsequential.  I  was  tired  of  this,  tired  of  it  all.  Was  this  what  the  future  held  in  store  for  us?  At  war  with  our  families  because  we  loved  each  other?  I  had  read  Shakespeare.  A  lot  of  Shakespeare  and  I  was  not  going  out  like  Julliet  did!  Star  crossed  lovers,  my  ass. 

A  menu  got  held  in  front  of  me  and  I  took  it,  conscious  of  the  gleaming  jewel  on  my  finger. 

"What  strikes  your  fancy,  poppet?"  Matt  asked,  pulling  his  chair  closer  and  slinging  an  arm  around  the  back  of  mine  as  he  peered  at  the  menu  in  my  hands.  His  own  menu  laid  unopened  on  the  table.  He  was  so  close  I  could  feel  the  rush  of  air  over  my  cheek  as  he  breathed.  I  twisted  my  head  to  give  him  a  ‘personal  space,  respect  it'  look,  but  I  got  sucked  into  those  piercing  eyes  of  his.  Marvelling  at  the  almost  there  gold  flecks  around  his  irises. 

"I  don't  know,"  I  murmured,  unconsciously  licking  my  lower  lip  as  Matt's  gaze  fell  to  my  mouth.

The  forced  sound  of  his  father  clearing  his  throat  broke  us  from  the  sizzling  eye  sexing  session.  I  inhaled  deeply  and  turned  back  to  the  menu.  Matt's  hand  stroked  my  shoulder  lightly.

"Shall  I  order  for  you  then?"  he  murmured,  deliberately  ignoring  his  parents  as  he  focused  all  his  attention  on  me.

I  nodded  wordlessly  and  tried  to  smile.  His  eyes  were  demanding  that  I  smile.

The  sommelier  suddenly  appeared  at  our  table  as  we  decided  what  to  have.  Matt  and  his  father  immediately  conversed  in  fluent  French  with  the  man,  who  approved  of  their  knowledge  of  either  their  use  of  his  native  language  or  the  wines.  And  just  to  make  me  feel  like  the  odd  one  out,  I'm  sure,  Portia  joined  in  their  conversation.  Great.  Why  hadn't  I  done  languages?  Now  I  looked  even  dumber.  I  fiddled  with  the  lace  napkin  while  the  four  of  them  chatted.  Once  the  food  and  wine  had  been  ordered  the  sommelier  gave  us  a  little  bow  and  whizzed  off.

"Such  a  delightful  man,"  Portia  said  with  a  smile.  Turning  her  face  at  me  she  asked.  "Do  you  not  speak  French,  Madison?"

I  smiled  coolly.  "I  know  what  is  required  for  ballet  terms,  but  not  enough  to  converse  with  such  fluency,  Mrs  Bradley.  I  can  speak  some  Spanish  though."

Matt  joined  in  with  a  playful,  "Come  now,  poppet.  Mrs  Bradley?  That's  a  terribly  formal  way  to  address  the  woman  who's  going  to  be  your  mother-in-law,"  Matt  shot  his  mother  a  challenging  grin.  "Soon.  By  the  way,  you  have  yet  to  congratulate  me  on  our  exciting  news."  Matt  cocked  his  head  at  me,  gaze  swivelling  between  his  parents  and  myself.  "Did  they  congratulate  you,  poppet?"                          

"Um,  something  like  that,"  I  hedged.  This  was  bullshit.  I  felt  as  if  Matt  was  using  our  engagement  to  bait  his  parents. 

"Matthew  speaks  several  languages,"  Portia  said.  If  she  was  trying  to  point  out  our  differences  she  was  doing  a  damn  good  job.  "Such  a  clever  boy,  my  Matthew."

"Mum,"  Matt  groaned  with  embarrassment  that  all  grown  children  feel  when  their  parents  go  into  super  proud  mode.

"Oh,  hush,  darling,"  She  waved  his  embarrassment  away  with  a  graceful  flick  of  her  own  blingified  hand.  "You  know  how  proud  Dad  and  I  are  of  you."

I  smiled  at  him.  He  was  embarrassed,  it  was  cute.

"Your  parents  died  when  you  were  a  child,  yes?"  Portia  asked,  blue  eyes  trained  on  my  face.  I  nodded  soundlessly.  Matt  was  peering  at  his  mother  in  disbelief.

"Such  a  tragedy."  she  murmured  sympathetically.  "And  your  father's  sister  took  you  in,  yes?"

I  nodded  again.  Had  they  done  a  background  check  on  me  too?  Of  course  they  would  have!

"It  must  have  been  hard,  growing  up  without  your  parents,"  she  mused.

I  swallowed  the  sudden  lump  in  my  throat.  Oh  god.  This  was  going  to  be  a  showdown  at  noon  sort  of  night.  Just  like  with  Grumps.  I  was  going  to  be  riddled  with  Bradley  bullets.  The  tumbleweeds  would  be  rolling  through  my  spilt  blood  soon.

Matt's  hand  landed  on  my  knee  and  he  squeezed  lightly.  Oh  good,  tonight  I  had  a  Kevlar  suit  and  his  name  was  Matt.  If  anyone  could  protect  me  from  a  Bradley  verbal  whup  ass,  it  would  be  Matt.  He  was  spawned  from  these  people,  he  would  know  how  to  deal  with  them.

"How  have  you  found  living  in  England,  Madison?"  William  Jnr  asked.  "It  must  be  quite  a  change  to  New  York."

"It  did  take  some  adjustment,"  I  replied  politely  while  flashing  him  a  tiny  smile.  "Driving  on  a  roundabout  took  some  getting  used  to."

Matt  chuckled  under  his  breath  and  patted  my  knee.   

"And  you've  been  here  almost  four  years  now?"  William  Jnr  queried.

"Yes,  it's  coming  up  to  that  time  frame."  I  confirmed  with  a  nod.

"And  how  is  your  dance  company?"  Portia  asked  coolly.  "My  daughter  mentioned  something  about  an  upcoming  production."

"Yes,"  Matt  answered  before  I  could.  "Opening  night  is  on  the  15th  of  this  month  and  tickets  are  sold  out  but  I'm  sure  Madi  can  arrange  some  seats  for  you  both  if  you'd  like  to  attend."

His  parents  murmured  something  about  prior  engagements  and  I  checked  the  urge  to  roll  my  eyes.  This  was  such  bullshit.  But  I  could  play  the  game  too.  I  could  be  unfailing  polite  and  act  as  if  they  hadn't,  not  a  mere  twenty  minutes  ago,  said  I  was  nothing  more  than  a  pawn  in  their  son's  defiance  of  their  wishes.  An  unintelligent  pawn  according  to  Portia  Bradley. 

"Poppet,"  Matt  called  quietly  and  I  forced  a  smile  on  my  face  and  looked  over  at  him.  He  didn't  return  my  smile,  gaze  continuously  sliding  between  my  face  and  my  hands  on  my  lap.  What  was  it  with  my  hands  he  found  so  fascinating?  I  stopped  scratching  my  pinkie  and  arched  my  eyebrow  in  query.

"The  15th?"  William  Jnr  asked  abruptly.  "Aren't  you  and  your  brother  due  to  travel  on  that  date,  Matthew?  I'm  sure,  if  I  recall  correctly,  that's  when  you  fly  to  Russia."

Matt  grimaced  at  his  father.  "It's  the  14th,  Dad."  Then  shot  me  a  remorseful  half  a  smile  as  my  mouth  parted  in  disappointment.

"So  you  won't  be  here  for  opening  night?"  I  asked  the  obvious.

Matt  shook  his  head.  "Unfortunately  not."

I  swallowed  my  disappointment  and  tried  to  affect  a  relaxed  facial  expression.  So  what  if  he  couldn't  make  it  for  opening  night?  I  licked  my  lips  as  I  asked  another  question.  "How  long  will  you  and  Adam  be  away  for,  Matt?"

"We're  not  certain  at  this  point,  Madi,"  he  advised,  still  with  that  apologetic  shine  to  his  eyes.  "Perhaps  a  week,  maybe  more."

"But  you  will  both  be  back  for  Christmas,"  Portia  stated  firmly.  

Matt  glanced  at  his  mother  as  his  father  reproached  her  gently.  "Portia,  darling,  business  comes  first.  Ah,  look,  here  comes  the  food."

Our  starters  were  indeed  being  brought  over.  I  tried  my  best  not  to  dwell  on  the  upsetting  news  of  Matt's  upcoming  business  trip.  Why  hadn't  he  mentioned  it  to  me  before?  As  my  lobster  starter  got  placed  in  front  me  another  worrying  thought  flitted  through  my  mind.  What  about  Christmas?  How  was  that  going  to  be  addressed?  If  he  returned  in  time  for  the  festive  holiday  would  he  want  to  spend  it  with  me?  Or  would  he  have  to  spend  it  with  his  family,  like  he  did  on  his  birthday?  I  doubted  I  would  get  an  invitation,  going  off  his  parents'  behaviour  with  me.  But  I  was  his  fiancée  now.  Knowing  Matt,  he  would  most  likely  force  the  issue  and  cause  some  family  drama.  I  didn't  want  that.  Oh  why  was  he  going  away  on  opening  night?  This  was  important  to  me  and  I  wanted  him  to  be  there.

"Is  the  lobster  not  to  your  liking?"  Matt  asked,  drawing  me  from  my  silent  musings.

"It's  lovely,"  I  murmured.  Looking  over  at  him  revealed  the  concern  on  his  handsome  face  and  I  felt  churlish  for  my  previous  thought.  Matt  had  responsibilities  and  I  figured  my  career  didn't  factor  very  high  in  his  mind.  It  hurt  thinking  that  way  but  I  had  to  be  a  realist.  Never  mind  I  always  made  myself  available  whenever  he  needed  me  at  his  side  for  whatever  function  he  was  forced  to  attend.  Never  mind - I  stopped  that  resentful  train  of  thought  at  once.       

"Let  me  try  some  then,"  he  teased,  eyeing  my  plate.

"One  bite,"  I  warned,  scooping  a  morsel  of  the  sweet  lobster  meat  on  my  fork  and  carefully  manoeuvring  it  into  his  waiting  mouth.

"Matthew."  Portia  said  with  distaste  etched  on  her  face.  "Please  remember  your  manners."

Matt  swallowed  then  arched  an  eyebrow  at  his  mother.  "Calm  down,  Mum.  It's  not  as  if  I'm  eating  food  off  her  naked  body,  just  her  fork."  Matt  looked  at  me  out  the  corner  of  his  eyes,  a  devious  smirk  curling  up  his  mouth.  Shit.  He  was  thinking  about  doing  it  now,  probably  planning  something  that  involved  food,  me  and  a  mess.

"Matt!"  I  hissed  in  embarrassment  right  as  his  mother's  cheeks  flushed  bright  red  and  she  said  tartly,  "Matthew!"

His  father  just  shook  his  head,  but  I  swore  he  was  fighting  a  knowing  grin.

"What?"  Matt  asked  innocently  as  he  resumed  eating  his  starter.  I  knew  my  knight  and  I  knew  he  was  needling  his  mother  on  purpose.  Damn,  damn,  damn.  Were  they  right?  Was  he  with  me  out  of  some  perverse  attempt  to  make  a  point  to  his  parents?  I  would  rip  his  balls  out  then  feed  them  to  him  if  that  was  the  case!

"So,  Madison,"  William  Jnr  began  politely.  "How  are  you  dealing  with  the  press?  Being  with  my  son  has  propelled  you  into  the  spotlight,  put  you  under  media  scrutiny-"

"She's  handling  it  just  fine,  Dad."  Matt  interrupted  tightly. 

"She  can  answer  for  herself."  I  chastised  Matt  with  a  little  shake  of  my  head  before  looking  across  the  table  at  his  father.  "It's  difficult  sometimes,  Mr  Bradley,  the  unwanted  intrusion  into  my  personal  life  is  not  easy  to  deal  with,"  I  shot  Matt  a  rueful  grin.  "But  Matt  is  usually  able  to  make  me  feel  better  about  the  whole  situation."

Matt  leaned  back  in  his  chair  and  blinked  at  me  a  couple  of  times  before  mouthing  ‘love  you'.  The  surprised  tenderness  on  his  face  was  heart-warming  as  I  knew,  and  he  knew,  the  media  problem  was  driving  me  mad.  I  turned  back  to  his  parents  and  smiled  defiantly  at  them  both.  Ha.  Matt  loved  me.  They  could  kiss  my  black  ass.                        

"Yes,  well,  it  will  only  get  worse,"  Portia  said  in  warning  as  she  levelled  Matt  with  a  sternness  only  a  mother  could  bestow  on  her  child.  Or  an  aunt  on  her  niece.  Auntie  Cleo,  why  hadn't  she  called?  I  knew  she  was  furious  with  me  but-

"Madison  can  handle  it."  Matt  reiterated  firmly,  breaking  me  from  my  thoughts.  I  smiled  again  and  chewed  my  lobster. 

Dinner  progressed  too  slowly  for  my  liking.  It  was  strained  and  it  got  to  the  stage  where  I  could  only  manage  monosyllabic  answers  to  the  questions  posed  to  me  by  Matt's  parents.  Their  polite  interaction  with  me  in  front  of  Matt  was  grating  on  my  nerves  and  I  desperately  wanted  to  shout  out  what  hypocrites  they  were,  but  I  held  my  tongue.  Matt  was  also  getting  frustrated.  I  knew  this  from  the  small  arch  of  his  left  eyebrow.  And  his  frustration  was  being  directed  at  me.  It  was  obvious  I  didn't  want  to  be  there.

"Please  excuse  me,"  I  said  right  before  we  chose  dessert.  "I'll  be  back  shortly."

All  three  Bradleys  nodded  in  acknowledgement  as  I  quickly  got  up  and  went  in  search  of  the  washrooms.  Relieving  my  bladder  was  not  a  necessity,  I  just  wanted  5  minutes  away  from  that  table  and  its  occupants.  How  could  they  sit  there  and  act  so - so -  so  damned  normal?!  This  was  what  I  despised  the  most  about  being  with  Matt.  The  duplicitous  nature  that  seemed  the  norm  with  everyone  I  had  encountered  was  wearing  on  me.  I  should  have  called  them  on  it,  in  front  of  Matt!  I  should  have  looked  his  parents  in  the  eye  and  demanded  an  apology  for  what  they'd  said.  I  should...just  grin  and  bear  it. 

Family.  God,  please  show  me  how  to  make  them  like  me.  I  pulled  my  cell  out  my  clutch  and  called  Dante.

"What's  up,  sweet  cheeks?"  He  said  in  lieu  of  hello.

"D,  I'm  at  a  stupid  dinner  with  Matt  and  his  parents.  They  don't  like  me."

"Ok,"  Dante  said.

"Ok?"  I  repeated  in  disbelief.  The  hell?  "What  do  you  mean  ‘ok'?  Aren't  you  listening  to  me?  His  parents  don't  like  me.  They  think  I'm  just  a-"

"Madi,"  Dante  interrupted.  "You  knew  what  you  were  getting  into  when  you  hooked  up  with  him.  Look,  the  man  asked  you  to  marry  him.  It's  clear  he  wants  to  be  with  you,  so  forget  about  his  parents.  Why  do  you  need  everyone  to  adore  you?  You've  been  that  way  since  we  were  kids."

"Wow,"  I  muttered,  glaring  at  my  reflection.  "Some  best  friend  you  are."

Dante  chuckled.  "Suck  it  up,  sweet  cheeks.  Go  schmooze  with  some  rich  folks."

"Dante,"  I  paused,  inhaling  deeply  before  continuing.  "Do  you  think  I'm  making  a  mistake?"

"Honestly?"  he  asked.

"Yes,  you  always  tell  it  to  me  straight.  Am  I  making  a  mistake?"

"I  think  you  might  be  rushing  into  this,  Madi.  I  mean,  come  on!  You  haven't  even  reached  the  12  months  marker  in  your  relationship.  You  had  this  massive  blow  out  with  your  family  and  two  minutes  after  that  you're  engaged?  That's  kind  of...I  just  think  you're  rushing  it."

"It  wasn't  two  minutes  after,"  I  groused.

Dante  sighed  loudly.  "Sweet  cheeks,  you  know  what  I  mean.  Look,  we'll  talk  about  this  tomorrow  ok?  How  about  I  stay  over  at  yours  tomorrow  and  we  can  talk  about  this  properly?"

"Huh,"  I  scoffed.  "You  just  want  me  to  cook  you  dinner."

"Damn  straight.  It's  been  ages  since  you  cooked  for  me."  he  replied  quickly.

I  laughed  at  his  whining  then  stopped  abruptly  as  the  door  to  the  ladies  opened  and  Matt  walked  in.  What  on  earth  was  wrong  with  my  man?

"Uh,  D,  I'll  see  you  in  the  morning.  Gotta  go."  I  hung  up  the  call  and  started  in  on  Matt  immediately.  "Are  you  insane?  This  is  the  ladies!  What  if  someone  catches  you  in  here?"

Matt  shrugged  and  folded  his  arms.  Eyes  quickly  scanning  the  open  stalls  to  confirm  we  were  alone.  "Talk."

"About  what?"  I  asked,  hurrying  over  to  him.  Crazy  ass  gazillionaire. 

"Why  are  you  acting  so  standoffish  with  my  parents?"

My  eyes  widened  with  disbelief.  He  was  calling  me  standoffish?  Of  all  the  things  under  the  sun  to  say. 

"They  don't  like  me,  Matt."

"Don't  say  that,  poppet.  They're  trying  to  get  to  know  you  and  you're  not  being  receptive  to  their  attempts.  You've  barely  spoken  to  them."

My  eyes  widened  further.  "That's  because,"  I  stopped,  biting  my  lower  lip  before  I  blurted  out  what  had  transpired  prior  to  his  arrival  at  the  restaurant.

But  it  was  too  late  and  his  grey  eyes  narrowed.  Matt  scrutinized  my  face  for  a  long  moment  while  I  glanced  nervously  at  the  door.  What  if  someone  walked  in?  Would  we  get  into  trouble  with  the  management?  Would  we  be  asked  to  leave  the  premises  at  once?

"Because  what?"  Matt  asked  in  a  low  tone.  It  was  his  ‘you'd  better  spill  or  there'll  be  hell  to  pay'  voice.

"I'm  just  nervous."  I  brushed  it  away.  "I'll  try  harder.  I  promise."

Sacrifice.  That  was  what  you  did  in  a  relationship.  You  sacrificed  whatever  was  needed  to  ensure  your  partner  was  happy.  Right?  But  would  you  end  up  sacrificing  so  much  that  there  was  nothing  of  you  left  to  give?  Had  I  already  sacrificed  too  much?

Matt  unfolded  his  arms,  one  hand  rising  up  to  rub  his  chin  slowly  as  he  kept  those  piercing  eyes  of  his  on  my  face.  "What  did  they  say  to  you?"

"Pardon?"  I  feigned  confusion.  I  was  definitely  going  to  sign  up  for  some  acting  classes.  As  soon  as  things  quietened  down  at  the  studio  I  was  getting  some  classes.

"You're  not  usually  this  quiet,  poppet,  even  less  so  when  you're  nervous.  You  babble  when  you're  nervous."

"I  do  not."  I  retorted.  "That's  a  slanderous  thing  to  say.  I  converse  clearly  and-"  I  stopped  at  the  eloquent  look  on  his  face.  Shit.  I  was  babbling  now.

"Tell  me."  he  commanded.  "What's  wrong?"

My  shoulders  drooped.  "They  don't  like  me,  Matt,  and  I  doubt  there's  anything  you  or  I  could  say  to  change  how  they  feel  about  us  being  together.  Look,  I'm  not  comfortable  with  you   being  in  here.  Someone  might  come  in  any  second."

"Did  they  say  something  to  you,  poppet?"  he  asked  again.  "No  secrets  between  us.  Remember?"

I  sighed  and  slipped  my  cell  back  into  my  clutch.  Then  raised  my  head  to  gaze  into  his  eyes.  "Your  parents  are  under  the  impression  that  I'm  a  pawn  in  some  elaborate  game  you're  playing  to  get  them  off  your  back  about  settling  down."  I  licked  my  lips,  uncertain  about  his  reaction  "Is  that  true?  They  said  they  were  pressuring  you  to  get  married  and  you're  using  me...I  just  don't  know  what  to  think,  Matt!"

Matt's  features  were  as  hard  as  granite.  He  looked  angry  and  this  was  exactly  why  I  didn't  want  to  tell  him.

"Don't  go  out  there  and  cause  an  argument,"  I  pleaded.  "Please.  I  don't  want  you  fighting  with  your  family.  That's  the  last  thing  I  want.  It's  bad  enough  my  fam-"  I  paused,  willing  the  instantaneous  rush  of  pain  away.  The  words  traitor  and  ungrateful  jumped  before  my  eyes  and  my  mind  put  them  into  the  correct  order.  I  felt  like  an  ungrateful  traitor. 

I  moved  to  brush  past  Matt  and  he  held  my  arm.  His  other  hand  cupped  my  cheek  gently.  I  leaned  into  the  feel  of  his  touch  against  my  skin.

"I'm  not  going  to  fight  with  them,  Madi,  but  I  want  you  to  understand  something  for  once  and  for  all.  You  walked  away  from  all  that  you've  known,  from  the  only  family  you  have  left,  for  me,"  Matt  lowered  his  head  to  press  a  soft  kiss  over  my  lips  then  pulled  back,  his  thumb  stroking  lightly  across  my  cheekbone.  "Do  you  honestly  believe  I  wouldn't  do  the  same  for  you?"

I  blinked  a  few  times  as  he  waited  for  me  to  respond.  Would  he?  Give  up  his  family  if  forced  to?  I  didn't  know  and  I  really  didn't  want  to  find  out. 

Matt  peered  at  me.  "Answer  me,  poppet.  Do  you  think  I  would  do  any  less  than  you  if  placed  in  the  same  situation?  Do  you  think  our  love  is  worth  less  to  me  than  it  is  to  you?"

"I  don't  know."  I  answered  truthfully.  "I  don't  know,  Matt,  but  we  don't  need  to  find  out.  I'm  not  asking  you  to  choose,  I  would  never  ask  you  to  do  that.  I'll  find  some  way  to  make  them  accept  me."  I  forced  a  bright  smile  to  my  lips.  "You  always  say  no  one  can  resist  me.  It's  just  taking  a  bit  longer  than  expected."

"Listen  to  me  closely,  young  lady,"  he  said  in  a  deep,  stern  voice.  "Because  I  am  only  going  to  say  this  once.  There  is  no  choice.  You're  mine  and  that  will  never  change.  There  is  no  choice  to  be  made  because  the  decision  was  out  of  my  hands  the  moment  you  stormed  back  into  the  pub  after  that  little  scene  where  you  told  me  to  eat  shit  and  die,  then  called  me  a  pompous  old  racist  in  public."

I  grinned  at  the  memory.  I  had  been  livid  that  day.

Matt  continued.  "I  knew  then,  well,  my  heart  knew  then  that  you  were  it  for  me.  You're  all  I  want,  poppet,  and  it's  tiring  having  to  remind  you  of  this.  Trust  in  me,  trust  in  us."

"What  if  they  disown  you?"  I  asked  quietly. 

Matt  arched  an  amused  eyebrow  at  me.  "Ah,  so  you're  worried  about  my  financial  status.  Hmm,  would  you  not  love  me  if  I  was  poor?"  he  teased.

"Shut  up."  I  mumbled  before  watching  him  intently.  "I  don't  care  about  the  money,  Matt.  I  just  don't  want  you  to  be  ostracized  from  your  family."

"Like  you  are  from  yours?"  he  asked  in  a  pointed  manner.  My  chest  got  tight  again.  I  was  still  holding  out  for  a  miraculous  reconciliation.  A  week  hadn't  passed  as  yet. 

"Yes,"  I  agreed  in  a  sad  voice.

Matt  kissed  me  again,  arms  encircling  my  waist  as  he  held  me  up  against  the  muscular  lines  of  his  body.  "Oh  poppet,  you  still  have  no  idea  of  what  you  mean  to  me."

I  didn't  respond,  it  was  my  personal  bliss  being  held  by  him  like  this.  I  didn't  want  to  ruin  it  with  words,  or  my  silly  doubts  about  us  and  our  respective  families.  Aunt  Cleo  said  he  would  throw  me  away  when  he  was  done  using  me.  She  was  wrong.  Matt's  parents  were  wrong  too.  He  was  more  than  my  knight,  he  was  my  soul  mate  and  Aunt  Cleo  had  always  taught  us  to  be  grateful  of  God's  blessings.  Matt  was  my  blessing,  he  filled  the  gaping  hole  of  emptiness  inside  me.  It  was  corny  but  he  completed  me.

"Do  you  want  to  go  home,  poppet?"  he  asked,  rubbing  a  hand  over  my  lower  back.  I  nodded  against  his  jacket,  inhaling  his  comforting  scent.  He  stepped  back  but  maintained  a  one  armed  hold  around  my  waist  and  we  exited  the  washroom.  There  was  a  member  of  staff  right  outside  the  door.  Matt  nodded  once  to  the  man  who  scurried  away  without  a  backward  glance.

"Was  he-"

"Keeping  guard,  yes."  Matt  confirmed  smoothly.  "I  didn't  care  for  any  interruptions."

"You  are  the  strangest  man  I've  ever  known."  I  said.

"Sweetest."  he  countered  as  he  led  us  out  into  the  dining  area.

"You're  not  sweet,  Matt,  you're,"  I  paused,  trying  to  find  the  best  word  to  describe  all  that  he  was.

"If  you  say  bossy,  I'll  put  you  over  my  knee  and  spank  you  as  soon  as  we  get  home."  he  warned  with  a  serious  glint  in  his  eyes.

Whoa.  That  was  a  bit  kinky,  but  hey.  I'd  try  anything  with  him,  once,  that  is.  Oh  wait,  except  for  bum  sex,  that  was  never  happening.  And  threesomes,  orgies,  whatever;  those  weren't  going  to  happen  either.  I  was  sure  I  had  read  something  about  Matt  that  implied...well,  it  wasn't  going  to  happen.  I  sent  him  a  sidelong  glance.  He  was  so  possessive  of  me,  downright  jealous  of  any  male  attention  directed  at  me.  Nope,  I  didn't  have  to  worry  about  orgies.

"I  was  going  to  say  unique,"  I  replied.

Matt  gave  me  a  lopsided  grin  that  disappeared  as  we  approached  our  table.  He  regarded  his  parents  coolly  before  saying,  "Madi  and  I  are  leaving  now."

William  Jnr  half  rose  from  his  chair.  "Why?  Is  something  the  matter,  son?"

"Not  at  all,"  Matt  said  smoothly.  "We  can  arrange  another  get  together  when  you  two  decide  you  truly  want  to  build  a  relationship  with  my  fiancée,  until  then  I  refuse  to  subject  Madi  to  your  unwarranted  disapproval."  He  glanced  between  them.  "The  sooner  you  accept  her,  the  better  it  will  be  for  everyone."

"Matthew,"  Portia  hissed  under  her  breath.  "Don't  speak  to  us  in  such  a  manner."

I  fidgeted  next  to  Matt,  my  face  warming  with  embarrassment.  He  felt  my  nervous  movements  and  tightened  his  hold  around  my  waist  as  he  said,  "Mum,  you  know  I  adore  you  both,  but  I  need  you  to  understand  Madi  is  going  to  be  my  wife  and  there's  nothing  you  can  do  about  it.  She  is  not  a  pawn  and  I  am  not  playing  any  games.  You  are  mistaken  if  you  hold  that  belief."

Portia's  face  reddened  before  she  sent  me  an  accusatory  look.  What?  She  should  know  what  her  son  was  like.  Matt  was  like  a  psychic  when  it  came  to  reading  people.  He  had  used  his  Vulcan  powers  to  make  me  spill.

William  Jnr  cleared  his  throat.  "Son,  let's  just  finish  our  meal-"

"No,  Dad,"  Matt  said  resolutely.  "I  had  hoped  your  invitation  tonight  meant  you  were  open  to  learning  about  the  woman  I  love  but  I  can  see  it  was  nothing  more  than  cursory  attempt  to  fool  me  into  believing  you  were  willing  to  extend  an  olive  branch  to  us  after  months  of  you  ignoring  Madi.  I'm  your  son,  you  should  be  happy  for  me  instead  of  trying  to  make  her  feel  uncomfortable."

They  both  looked  up  at  us.  Matt  sighed  under  his  breath  before  twisting  his  head  sideways  at  me.  "Say  goodnight  to  my  parents,  poppet."

"Goodnight,  Mr  and  Mrs  Bradley."  I  did  as  ordered.  When  Matt  got  this  way  it  was  best  to  just  go  with  his  flow. 

"Son,"  William  Jnr  called.  "This  is  ridiculous.  Sit  down  and  let's  finish  our  meal.  We  can  discuss  these  issues  at  a  more  appropriate  time  and  place."

"Good  night,  Dad."  Matt  said  coldly  before  giving  his  mother  a  curt  nod  of  goodbye.  "Mum."

Then  he  turned  us  around  and  walked  us  towards  the  stairs.  I  looked  back  and  saw  Portia  Bradley  glaring  ice  daggers  at  me.  It  was  official.  My  future  mother-in-law  hated  me.  I  had  no  luck  with  maternal  figures  it  seemed.

"Aren't  you  pleased  with  me,  poppet?"  Matt  asked  in  a  voice  still  warm  with  anger.  "There  was  no  argument."

"Ah,  yes,  Matt,  but  I  hope  you  have  your  own  money  because  my  earnings  can't  keep  you  in  the  lifestyle  you're  accustomed  to  and  you  are  going  to  be  disowned  for  sure."

Matt  chuckled  as  we  went  down  the  stairs.  "They'll  come  around,  poppet.  They  just  need  a  firm  hand."

I  snorted  in  disbelief  then  tugged  on  his  arm.  Matt  stopped,  a  step  below  me.  I  bent  over  to  slant  my  lips  across  his,  Frenching  him  as  a  reward  for  having  my  back  with  his  parents. 

"Thank  you."  I  murmured  when  I  pulled  back.

"You  won't  be  thanking  me  tomorrow  when  a  picture  of  us  snogging  is  in  the  morning  papers."

"What?!"  I  cried  out  sharply.

Matt  took  my  hand  in  his.  "Poppet,  I  need  to  teach  you  how  to  spot  the  incognito  media  vultures  that  circle  us.  There  are  two,  if  not  three  actually,  reporters  here  tonight.  If  it's  any  consolation,  you  look  absolutely  delicious  in  your  dress."

"It's  not  a  consolation."  My  eyes  wandered  around  restlessly  as  we  came  down  the  remaining  steps.  Where  were  they?  Damned  paps.  Everyone  milling  around  looked  normal  to  me.  "Are  you  sure,  Matt?  You  could  be  mistaken."

"I'm  not  and  don't  worry  about  it.  I'll  be  speaking  to  Nathan's  father  about  using  his  influence  to  protect  our  private  lives,  poppet.  Now,  are  we  heading  to  my  place  or  yours?  And  you  still  haven't  given  me  an  answer  on  when  you're  moving  in  with  me.  I'm  thinking  before  I  fly  away  on  business."

I  ignored  Matt  and  awkwardly  tried  to  keep  my  head  down  while  scanning  for  any  flashes  of  light.  If  they  put  one  more  picture  of  me  with  my  ass  at  an  unfavourable  angle  I  was  going  to  sue  someone.

<><>

 

Portia  Bradley  was  silently  fuming.  She  hadn't  spoken  one  word  on  the  trip  from  the  restaurant  to  the  hotel  they  were  staying  at  tonight.  Right  now  she  wanted  nothing  more  than  to  curl  up  in  her  own  bed  and  lick  her  wounds.  Matthew's  continued  defence  of  his  supposed  girlfriend  was  mind  boggling.  Fiancée,  she  reminded  herself  in  a  spurt  of  seething  anger.  He  hadn't  even  notified  them  of  his  proposal!  She,  his  mother,  had  to  find  out  from  her  friend  who  had  seen  it  on  the  early  morning  news.  It  was  embarrassing,  but  Portia  had  quickly  saved  face  by  assuring  her  friend  she  was  fully  aware  of  her  son's  antics. 

"Darling,  would  you  like  a  drink  before  bed?"  William  asked  as  he  sauntered  into  the  bedroom.

"No,  thank  you."  Portia  replied,  vigorously  brushing  her  hair.  For  a  woman  in  her  sixties  she  knew  she  still  looked  good.  Shame  her  husband  didn't  seem  to  appreciate  her  worth.  The  bastard.  She  eyed  him  from  lowered  lashes  as  he  started  undressing.  The  scratches  over  his  back  weren't  as  fresh  today  and  she  wondered  who  his  new  bed  partner  was.  Probably  someone  as  young  as  Matt's  girlfriend,  if  not  younger.  He  still  looked  good  for  his  age  too.

Fiancée,  the  silent  reminder  echoed  through  her  fitful  thoughts.  She  focused  on  the  brush  strokes,  one  after  the  other.  William  was  a  dutiful  husband  in  all  other  areas,  except  their  sex  life.  She  snorted  in  disgust.  At  least  he  was  discreet.

"Did  you  say  something,  my  darling?"  he  murmured,  coming  over  to  stand  behind  her. 

"No."  Portia  said  as  she  moved  away.  William  tried  to  wrap  his  arms  around  her  waist  but  she  was  having  none  of  it.  "Really  William,  I'm  not  in  the  mood  tonight."  she  reprimanded  harshly.

William  sighed  and  stepped  away.  He  observed  her  for  a  moment  before  saying,  "Darling  we  need  to  stop  pushing  Matthew  on  this  issue.  You  know  how  stubborn  our  boy  is-"      

"Have  you  lost  the  faculties  of  your  mind  in  your  old  age?!"  she  fumed,  dropping  the  brush  and  placing  her  hands  on  her  hips.  The  silk  nightgown  was  light  blue,  William's  favourite  colour  on  her.  It  gave  her  perverse  pleasure  to  taunt  him  with  her  body,  a  body  he  could  no  longer  have  at  will.  This  was  her  way  of  punishing  him,  this  and  spending  as  much  of  his  money  as  she  chose. 

"No,  I  haven't,"  he  replied  dryly.  "I  know  our  youngest  son,  Portia,  and  if  we  continue  to  treat  his  lady  in  the  manner  we  have  been  doing,  well,  we'll  only  alienate  him  further.  Is  that  what  you  want?  To  push  him  away  as  you  did  with  Adam?  It  wasn't  that  long  ago  we  were  at  odds  with  him,  and  I'm  telling  you  now,  I  will  not  allow  another  estrangement  between  me  and  one  of  my  sons."

Portia  looked  away.  William  knew  exactly  how  to  hurt  her.  Why  was  he  bringing  up  that  old  problem?  Adam  was  back  in  their  good  graces  now.  It  was  Matthew  who  was  the  problem.  Oh  why  couldn't  her  sons  be  like  their  elder  sister?  A  quick  smile  curled  up  her  lips.  Hannah  was  her  pride,  had  married  well  and  given  them  their  beautiful  granddaughters.  She,  like  her  brothers,  had  a  brilliant  mind.  But  like  her  mother,  she  had  focused  on  her  husband,  her  children;  instead  of  furthering  her  career.  That  woman  Matt  was  currently  involved  with  didn't  seem  the  type  to  sacrifice  her  own  needs  for  his. 

"I'm  serious,  Portia,"  William's  hard  voice  broke  her  from  her  silent  thoughts.

"So  you  expect  me  to  accept  her?"  she  asked  incredulously.  "To  welcome  her  into  our  lives  with  open  arms?  You  have  lost  your  mind!  Our  son  proposed  to  her!  Do  you  want  me  to  plan  the  wedding?  Her  family  can  ill-afford  the  cost  of  it.  Do  you  want  me  to  invite  her-"

"Calm  down,"  William  bit  out.  "There's  no  need  for  dramatics.  What  I'm  trying  to  get  you  to  understand  is  that  continuing  to  ignore  Madison  will  get  us  nowhere.  Of  course,  I  don't  agree  with  him  marrying  her!  She's - she's  not  like  us,"  He  ran  a  frustrated  hand  over  his  face.  "But  the  more  we  make  our  opinions  of  Matthew's  relationship  with  her  known,  the  more  we  push  him  away.  Darling,"  William  came  over  to  her,  sweeping  a  hand  through  her  still  thick  blonde  tresses.  "We  must  act  as  if  we're  willing  to  at  least  attempt  to  accept  her,  to  do  anything  else  will  force  Matthew  to  make  a  choice...and  we  both  know  who  he  will  choose  at  this  point.  His  actions  have  been  quite  clear  so  far."

Portia  exhaled  in  anger.  What  spell  had  that  woman  woven  around  her  son?  What  was  it  about  her  that  drew  Matthew,  a  man  so  much  like  his  philandering  father,  to  her  side?  Why  was  he  so  infatuated  with  Madison  DuMont?

"I  just  don't  understand,  William."  she  said,  the  agitation  thick  and  heavy  in  her  voice.  "He  can  have  anyone.  Why  her?"

William  swept  her  hair  over  one  shoulder  and  a  bitter  smile  graced  his  face  as  he  asked  quietly,  "Have  you  seen  the  way  she  looks  at  him,  Portia?  Have  you  truly  paid  attention  to  the  way  she  watches  our  Matthew?"

"With  greed,  of  course!"  Portia  exploded,  pushing  William  aside  as  she  begun  to  pace.  "She  sees  her  ticket  to  an  easy  life  at  the  expense  of  our  son!"

William  shook  his  head  slowly.  "The  way  she  looks  at  him...it  reminds  me  of  the  way  you  once  looked  at  me."

"What?!  What  do  you  mean  by  that?"  Portia  exclaimed,  coming  to  a  dead  stop.  "You  dare  compare  me  to  that - that  classless  whore!"

"Firstly,"  William  started  in  a  low  tone.  "She's  not  a  whore  and  never  refer  to  her  as  such  in  Matthew's  presence,"

"How  can  you  say  that?"  Portia  asked  in  distress.

"I  overheard  a  conversation  between  Adam  and  Matthew  a  few  months  ago.  I  had  gone  into  work  to  check  up  on  things  and  they  were  in  my  office  waiting  for  me.  Adam  was  teasing  Matthew,  you  know  how  our  boys  are,"  William  waved  a  distracted  hand  through  the  air.  "Anyway  Matthew  said  something  that  led  me  to  believe  he  was,  ahem,  that  Madison  was,  well,  suffice  to  say  I  think  Matthew  was  her  first."

"First  what?"  Portia  asked  blankly.  William  arched  an  eyebrow  at  her  and  understanding  dawned.  "Oh.  Oh!  No  wonder  he's  so  attached  to  her.  You  silly  men!  That's  neither  here,  nor  there.  The  fact  is  she's  not  right  for  our  son  and  I  refuse  to  stand  by  and  do  nothing."

"You  will  do  nothing  at  this  point,  Portia.  I  refuse  to  risk  a  fall  out  with  Matthew!  You  have  no  understanding  of  the  way  a  man's  mind  works.  A  man  would  do  just  about  anything  to  have  a  woman  look  at  him  the  way  Madison  looks  at  our  son.  And  do  not  get  me  started  on  his  obvious  affection  for  her.  No,  we  will  need  to  go  about  this  carefully.  It's  clear  they  have  some  form  of  bond-"

"Yes  and  we  both  know  what  sort  of  bond  that  is!"  she  exploded  nastily. 

"Darling,"  William  was  once  again  trying  to  soothe  her  ire.  "It  will  run  its  course.  I  know  my  son  and  this  is  a  new  adventure  for  him,  give  it  time  and  he'll  soon  come  to  his  senses,  he'll  soon  see  the  differences  between  them  are  insurmountable."

"We  don't  have  time,  William.  They're  engaged."  Portia  resumed  pacing.  "All  our  friends  are  already  gossiping  about  this  whole  situation  behind  our  backs." 

"Then  they're  not  really  our  friends,  are  they?  What  is  your  main  worry?  The  fact  she's  black-"

Portia  grimaced  before  eyeing  her  husband  coldly.  "I  am  not  a  racist."

William  raised  an  eyebrow  again.  "Neither  am  I,  but  we  both  know  certain  things  are  not  acceptable."

Portia  shot  him  a  relieved  look,  the  way  he  had  been  talking  had  caused  her  concern.  It  was  good  to  know  they  were  still  on  the  same  page.  A  shudder  went  through  her.  "What  if  she,  god  forbid,  what  if  she  gets  pregnant?  What  then,  William?  And  you  know  women  like  her  have  hordes  of  children.  I  will  not  have  half-bla...ah,  I  refuse  to  have  her  babies  calling  me  grandma!"

William  chuckled  and  Portia  glared  at  him.

"Matthew  is  not  a  fool,  Portia,  and  he  has  said  enough  times  that  having  children  is  the  furthest  thing  from  his  mind.  Do  not  worry  about  that.  What  we  need  to  do  is  subtly  remind  him  of  his  place  in  this  world  and  the  fact  Madison  DuMont  is  not  a  part  of  it.  Ignoring  her  is  not  going  to  work,  trust  me.  This  isn't  just  a  new  experience  for  Matthew,  it  affects  our  whole  family,  we  must  be  careful  on  how  we  approach  it.  Our  children  have  always  supported  each  other  and  this  will  be  no  different.  Did  you  notice  how  attentive  Hannah  and  Adam  were  to  her  at  Nathan's  engagement  party?"

"Even  the  twins  seem  fond  of  her."  Portia  exhaled  in  anger.       

"Exactly,  we  must  apologize  to  her-"

"I  beg  your  pardon?"  Portia's  mouth  hung  open  in  shock.

"Hush  darling  and  listen  to  me."  William  chastised.  "We  apologize  to  her,  we  have  no  choice.  Did  you  not  hear  Matthew's  words  before  they  left?  It's  obvious  she  relayed  to  him  the  conversation  we  had  with  her.  So  we  apologize,  invite  her  around  to  the  house,  we  make  an  effort.  That  will  appease  our  son."

"Then  what?"  Portia  asked,  voice  dripping  derision.  "We  pretend  to  play  happy  families?  How  is  that  going  to  help  Matthew  see  sense?"

"All  in  due  time,"  William  said  with  complete  confidence.  "It  will  not  be  long  before  Madison  herself  finds  it  difficult  to  adjust  to  our  way  of  life."

Portia  frowned,  then  stopped,  remembering  the  minute  lines  on  her  face  and  not  wanting  to  exacerbate  them.

"I  don't  know,  Willie,"  she  sighed,  absentmindedly  calling  him  by  the  nickname  she'd  given  him  all  those  years  ago.  She  was  the  only  one  he  allowed  to  address  him  as  such.

"Don't  worry,  my  darling.  Come  have  a  small  drink  with  me,  the  hotel  staff  lit  the  fire  before  we  arrived  and  it's  pleasantly  warm  in  front  of  it."

Portia  saw  the  hope  in  his  grey  eyes,  mingled  with  traces  of  desire.  Although  she  loved  him  dearly,  she  would  never  again  let  him  into  her  heart.  He  had  broken  the  absolute  faith  she  had  in  him  as  a  young  woman.  He  had  broken  her  heart,  and  she  would  never  let  him  regain  a  foothold  in  her  emotions.  She  controlled  how  much  affection  would  be  given  to  him.

"I'm  tired,  darling,"  she  murmured  with  a  soft  smile  as  she  pressed  a  light  kiss  to  his  cheek.  "I  think  I  shall  retire  for  the  night."

William's  eyes  became  shrouded  as  they  stared  silently  at  each  other.  Then  he  picked  back  up  his  shirt  and  shrugged  it  on. 

"Perhaps  I'll  head  out  for  a  bit,"  he  paused  as  he  buttoned  up  his  shirt.  "Your  company  would  be  welcomed,  darling."

Portia  smiled  at  his  poor  attempt  of  reverse  psychology.  She  knew  why  he  was  heading  out,  and  she  knew  he  didn't  want  her  company.  "Don't  be  silly.  I'm  all  dressed  for  bed,"  She  sauntered  over  to  the  king  sized  bed  and  pulled  the  covers  back  as  she  tossed  dryly  over  her  shoulders,  "Besides,  three's  too  much  company,  darling.  I  doubt  your  current  mistress  would  appreciate  the  wife  tagging  along."

"Portia,"  he  began  and  she  turned  to  face  him,  expression  frigid. 

"What,  William?"  she  asked  emptily.  When  he  remained  silent  she  continued  to  mock  him.  "Tell  her  to  be  more  gentle  with  you,  darling,  those  scratches  on  your  back  looked  painful."

William  gave  her  a  bitter  smile.  "Will  do.  Good  night."

Portia  turned  quickly,  before  he  could  see  the  flash  of  hurt  on  her  features.  She  wished  he  would  leave  already.  She'd  had  enough  of  the  men  in  her  life.

"I  don't  blame  Matthew  for  wanting  her,  you  know,"  William  said  from  the  doorway.  "As  I  said  before,  having  a  woman  look  at  you  the  way  Madison  looks  at  him  is  no  small  thing.  I  envy  him  that,  how  sad  am  I?"

When  Portia  turned  around  he  was  gone.  She  sighed  softly,  moments  later  the  sound  of  a  door  slamming  echoed  through  the  walls.  She  loved  William  Bradley,  but  she  hated  him  too.  Pushing  thoughts  of  her  toxic  marriage  aside  she  moved  away  from  the  bed  and  went  in  search  of  her  mobile.  Minutes  later  she  called  Louisa  Gilliford.  As  a  mother  it  was  her  responsibility  to  ensure  her  children  made  the  right  choices.  She'd  be  damned  if  she  let  her  youngest  do  something  that  he  would  regret  for  the  rest  of  his  life.  The  call  picked  up.

"Louisa,  it's  Portia.  We  need  to  have  a  chat."

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.