Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter One


Dim lights, awkward small talk, and wine. Thomas had done this many times. Coming to events held by rich and famous people, such as himself, to give money to charities. The only thing that separated him from his peers was that he actually gave a damn about what cause he was helping, not just throwing money and flaunting it for everyone to see. Tonight’s cause was about art. He walked around the dimly lit gallery, chatting with his peers, his fellow actors and actresses. How many fake laughs did he do tonight? Possibly five. Maybe a fake and forced smile here and there.

Just another two hours, Thomas, he told himself. “Thomas!” He heard from behind him. A large hand slapping his shoulder made him turn to face who had called out to him. It was Harry Fredericks, a former co-star with his girlfriend, Sheryl, who was also a former co-star. Harry was from the UK, like Thomas, they both went to university together. Harry was just a couple of years older than Thomas’ thirty-five, being thirty-seven. He was very posh and privileged, which drew him to Thomas. Sheryl, on the other hand, was american and blonde. She was much like a model, with long legs and a slender body. She and Thomas had a fling one year after promoting their movie, but it didn’t work out. He wanted something serious, and she was just looking for fun.

“Thomas, my man, it’s been awhile!” Harry said with a big smile on his face.

“Yes, it has,” Thomas trailed off. He avoided Sheryl’s hungry stare, looking around the gallery. He noticed a woman that looked very out of place, looking at all the art pieces, and not engaging with anyone. He couldn’t see her face, and wondered if she were a fellow celebrity. “Do any of you know who that is over there?” He pointed to the woman.

“Eh, no. I can’t see her face,” Harry said.

“Looks like that could be Gina Fuentes, the designer. I’m not sure,” Sheryl inputted.

“I’ll talk to you two later. I’m going to introduce myself to a new face.” He left the two actors without another word. Going to a waiter to get two glasses of champagne. He slowly approached the woman, as she still had her back turned to everyone. Her hair was a disarray of black curls, and the black dress she wore was plain, yet sexy the way it hugged her curves. Once he was closer, he could see that her skin was the color of warm honey and caramel.

“Excuse me, miss?” He got her attention, she turned around, making his breath hitch as he was stunned by her beauty. Large almond shaped brown eyes lined with black eyeliner and dark wine colored full lips on a heart-shaped face. My god, she’s such an odd beauty. He thought. She didn’t look like the other women here, she was shorter and curvier. Though she was wearing heels, she still came up to his chin.

“Yes?” She spoke. He realized that he was staring at her.

“Uh...I’m Thomas. Thomas Bedford.” She nodded, still looking up at him with those curious brown eyes. “I noticed you standing over here and brought you a glass of champagne,” He said.

“Thank you, Thomas.”

She took the glass he offered, and continued to stare at the art in front of her. “It’s lovely isn’t it?” He asked, staring at the art as well. The painting was of a girl crying with splats of black, red, and purple. The red trickled down as if it were blood. It had an eerie gothic feel.

“Yes,” She said. “I would say so.”

“I’m not sure who the artist is, but he did a lovely job,” Thomas said with a small smile. He actually thought of buying the piece.

“She,” he heard her say.

“Pardon?”

“I said, She. I’m the artist,” Thomas should’ve known. She had that look to her, the gothic look.

“May I ask what your name is?” He asked with a smile. She returned the smile.

“Misa,” She simply said.

“Just Misa?” He asked. “Just Misa for right now,” She replied with a cheeky grin.

“Is some of your work being auctioned off, or is this piece the only one here?” He asked.

She turned to the group of people and sipping her champagne, causing him to turn as well. “I have another piece that I did. It’s better than the one behind us.”

He nodded, he’d buy the one that’s being auctioned if he loved it as much as the other one. It looked like they were about to start the auction, he urged her to move to the seats. His hand rested on her lower back, hoping he didn’t cross the line by touching her there.

“Thomas! Over here!” He heard Harry shout, pointing him to the seats beside him and Sheryl.

“Come, I’ll introduce you to a friend of mine,” he told Misa as they walked over to the seats to sit.

“Misa, this is Harry Fredericks and Sheryl Carlton.” Misa smiled politely at them both.

“Misa? That’s an unusual name,” Sheryl said in amusement. “Right, Harry?”

“Very unusual, yet beautiful,” Harry flirted, winking at Misa, and ignoring Thomas.

Thomas was getting pretty annoyed by both Harry and Sheryl’s behavior, he’d have to apologize later. The auction was starting, and paddles were being passed to them. When Misa was offered one, she declined. There were plenty of pieces that caught his eye, but he was looking for Misa’s art. She never told him what it was that she painted, but he had a hunch he could guess which was hers. They finally pulled out a painting of a half of a beautiful woman’s face with the other half bursting into blue and purple flowers. He could hear people murmuring before the auctioneer called the starting bid. Misa visibly tensed at the murmurs. He knew it was hers, and she was sensitive about her work.

“Five hundred!” Someone called. Thomas shook his head, that wasn’t enough. He’d have to wait until someone called a higher price.

Five hundred! Do I hear One thousand?”

“One thousand!”

Thomas waited for the price to get higher than that. It sounded like no one else would bid higher. “One thousand going once? Going twice?”

Thomas lifted his paddle. “Five thousand!” Gasps were heard, and the murmuring continued. He knew his peers were probably asking each other “Why is bidding for that?” He knew it would support Misa, and make her night.

“Sold!” The auctioneer shouted.

Misa looked to Thomas with wide eyes. “You’d really spend five thousand dollars for my art?”

“Of course!” He said, matter-of-factly. “Your art is beautiful and unique, like you.” He didn’t mean to let the last part slip, but it just came out. She smiled shyly, there was a hint of blush on her brown cheeks.

“Thank you, Thomas,” she said, looking back to the front.


***

 

After the auction was over, Thomas wrote his check to pay for his painting. Looking over his shoulder, Misa was gone. Looking around, he couldn’t find her anywhere. Did she leave already? He thought to himself. He at least wanted to get her number, maybe have dinner with her. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.