Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

THIS IS THE NEW SECOND CHAPTER. DISREGARD THE PREVIOUS ONE PLEASE.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


FEBRUARY 1ST 2007

"I should have been there"

"Adair don't say that" her aunt Pamela said, "your father knew you were busy"

"The WNBA isn't really that busy Aunt Pamela" she insisted modestly "I play for the Los Angles Sparks not the Lakers nobody is checking for us"

"Adair stop" Aunt Pam laughed, "your father watched every game you were in and made sure everybody he knew his daughter was professional"

Adair Mosley could almost see the smile on her aunt's face as if she wasn't thousands of miles away on the other side of the country. It's never ideal to be informed about a parent's death but to be informed over the phone was another thing.

Walter Jenkins had been battling prostate cancer for the past three years now but it looked like he couldn't fight that fight anymore. Tears rolled down Adair's face as she tried to keep it together for her aunt since he was her baby brother.

Her father was the only parent who actually loved her yet her mother Rhonda Mosley was the one who had custody of her up until she was sixteen. Walter Jenkins was one of the people who really turned her life around there was another person too.....

"I um....I have a game coming up anyway" Adair said wiping her tears "so I'm heading back to the East Coast for a bit I can come earlier to help with the funeral arrangements"

"Oh no baby take your time this is all so sudden" Aunt Pam insisted "in fact I want to pay for your air fare"

"Oh no that's okay Aunt Pam---"

"I want to do something nice for my niece"

"Thanks"

"It's going to be okay Adair"

"I know I just can't believe Pop is gone" Adair went on to say, "I just hope Mom doesn't find out---"

"She won't" Aunt Pam replied, "I'll make sure of that"

Her aunt knew how she felt about Rhonda she certainly wasn't her mother or at least Adair didn't see her that way. Nope Rhonda Mosley was just the woman who carried her for nine months and left her to fend for herself.

"Aunt Pam I have another call"

"I'll let you go then we'll discuss this more later okay?"

"Okay love you"

"Love you too baby"

She clicked over to the other line

"I said yes!"

"I said yes Adair!"

"Congratulations Willow I'm so happy for you"

Adair Mosley could hear her friend strike with excitement on the other end of the phone. She saw that Willow had already changed her Facebook status to engaged and changed her last name from Hammond to Matthews.

So it looks like Grayson had a thing for Willow all along it only took ten years for him to come around; better late than never. It looked like Saturday September 29th 2007 was going to be the big day.

"I want you to be my maid of honor"

"Me?"

"Yes you!" Willow laughed, "I wouldn't have anyone else be my maid of honor"

"I'm flattered Willow I really am"

"Do you think you can stop by my folks place when you're in town next week?" she asked, "I want to get everyone together to start planning and celebrate"

"Of course I have a game scheduled for there so I can stop by"

"Forrest is back from his tour in Iraq too," Willow added

"Oh" Adair paused her heart fluttered just a bit "how is he doing?"

"Great" Willow replied teasing her "I know you can't wait to see him again"

"For the millionth time Willow I don't have a crush on your brother anymore" she laughed "I was way too young for him anyway"

"You're twenty-six now" Willow pointed out  "age difference shouldn't be an issue anymore"

"I'm sure he would still want a woman closer to his age"

"He's not going to want any other woman when he sees you again"

Adair was very thankful that she was miles away from Willow right now so she couldn't see her bite her lower lip.

There was a lot going on for her right now her upcoming game, her father's death and funeral preparation, her friend requesting her to be her maid of honor, and possibly seeing her old crush.

"Something wrong Adair?"

"Huh?"

"You were quiet for a minute"

"Oh"

Adair supposed she shouldn't have been surprised that Willow picked up on the fact that she was now quiet they had been friend for twelve years now. She didn't want to damper the happy news that her friend just shared with her.

"You can tell me" Willow reassured

"Well I actually just got off the phone with my aunt" she confessed, "my father just passed away"

"Oh Adair I'm so sorry"

"It's fine he's been sick for a while"

"It still must be a shock and here I am just blabbing on about me and Grayson being engaged" Willow said, "when is the funeral?"

"Next Friday" Adair replied

"Do you want Forrest and I to come with you for support?"

"Oh no that's okay---"

"Adair I insist besides Forrest was always cool with your father"

It was true.

Adair still remembered the day Forrest helped her move into Walter's house. Walter showed Forrest nothing but gratitude because he was thankful that he was able to help get his daughter out of her mother's house.

Forrest frequently stopped by to check in on both Adair and Walter and did so up until she graduated high school. In fact Adair was quite sure her father had been aware of the feelings that she had for Forrest.

"I don't want to cause you two any trouble---"

"Adair stop you know we'll be there for you" Willow insisted, "when does your flight come in? Do you need us to pick you up from the airport?"

"My aunt is coming to get me"

"Well if anything comes up you know you have us"

"I know"

 

FEBRUARY 8TH 2007

Adair had no idea that her flight was going to land in Northeast Philadelphia at one in the morning. It was freezing and snowing there was no way her aunt could pick her up now. She swore Willow spoke this into existence.

Adair didn't feel comfortable asking Aunt Pam to wake up out of her warm bed at this ungodly to come get her but she didn't want to stay at the airport either.

Adair had a busy couple of days ahead of her and it was already Wednesday. Tomorrow night was her game, Friday was her father's funeral, and Saturday was Willow's engagement celebration.

Maybe Willow could come get her; since she did offer to do so.

"...It's my phone Grayson you can go back to sleep" she heard her friend's sleepy response to her fiancé "Hello?"

Guilt washed over Adair and she felt ashamed. This was selfish of her what was she thinking? Maybe she should just spend the night at the airport after all---

"Adair?"

"Hey Willow"

"Are you okay? It's one in the morning"

"I'm fine" she insisted, "my flight came in a bit early and I'm at the airport in Northeast"

"Do you need me to come get you?"

"Well no I mean....I don't know....my aunt was going to come get me but it's late....but it's late for you too" Adair said flustered "I'll just stay here for the night---"

"Stay at the airport? Oh Adair don't be silly"

"I don't want to bother you plus you should be with your fiancé"

"You know I can ask Forrest to come get you"

For some reason for the first time in a long time Adair felt her heart jump at the mention of Forrest's name. She didn't know why and immediately pushed it aside.

"Willow it's late" she tried to reason "I shouldn't have called you period; don't wake your brother because of me"

"Adair stop you know Forrest would do anything for you" Willow insisted "he's a night owl anyway so I know he's still awake; besides he lives closer to the airport than I do and will get there quicker"

"Willow---"

"You sit tight" she said "and Forrest should be there in thirty minutes"

 

Forrest Hammond placed a thermos of piping hot chocolate in the cup holder of his truck and began his snowy route to the Northeast Philly airport. If it wasn't snowing he would get there sooner but the goal was to get Adair to his house so she wouldn't have to spend the night at the airport.

The hot chocolate was for Adair and it felt like déjà vu because there was snow and hot chocolate the last time he helped her ten years ago. Forrest had to admit that he was getting much needed rest for the past few days after returning home last week.

Honestly he was lucky to even be alive given the circumstances in Iraq.

Willow had called about ten minutes ago and although he loved his baby sister he was prepared to let her know that she was pushing her limits.

The minute Willow mentioned Adair's name; Forrest immediately got up and demanded to know if she was okay. Even though Adair relocated to Los Angles both her and his sister were still thick as thieves. Given their history Forrest was just as protective of Adair as he was Willow.

Forrest had quickly gotten dressed and listened as Willow gave him the run down.

He knew that Adair had been chosen as maid of honor and that she was also in town for a scheduled game. However when Willow told him the news of Walter's passing Forrest's heart sunk.

Walter Jenkins was dead.

The only parent who cared for Adair was gone and it was another reason she flew back so soon. It was wrong to wish death on anyone but Forrest wished it had been Rhonda instead.

By the time Forrest rolled up to the airport it was two in the morning and because it wasn't as busy he was able to keep his hazard lights on. There was no way he was going park and then make Adair walk across the huge lot in the snow. He was too much of a gentleman for that.

There weren't that many people in the waiting area so Adair was easy to spot. Her attire was a dead giveaway too she had been on the West Coast for too long with mild winters in the 50s and 60s. She had on a fall jacket, jeans, and some tennis shoes when she should have had on a winter coat, thick pants, and boots.

Forrest knew Adair had seen him because she nervously smiled biting her lower lip while tucking one of her locs behind her ear. If he wasn't mistaken he swore he saw a slight blush.

"Hi Forrest"

"Hello Miss California" he greeted offering her his hand "you miss the snow?"

"Not really" Adair said getting up "when I left LA it was only 55 degrees"

He gave her a big hug and Adair was almost in shock with how comfortable she felt in his arms even if it was only for thirty seconds.

"Yeah that does sound nice right about now" Forrest agreed, "do you have all of your things?"

"Yes I'm only here until Sunday"

"Have to head back so soon?"

"Yeah" Adair said as she walked beside him with her carry-on bad; Forrest pulled her main suitcase "my whole life is out there now I'm only here for my game tomorrow, my father's funeral, and Willow's party"

"Well I can imagine with Willow's wedding and planning you'll be racking up air fare for the next couple of months" Forrest said

"That's true" Adair replied "I may have to take my aunt's suggestion and make my guest bedroom at her place my permanent bedroom when I'm in town"

Once they stepped outside reality hit Adair that she was definitely back on the East Coast.

"You can hop right in" Forrest said noticing her shiver from the cold "I keep the engine running so it's nice and toasty; there's a treat for you in the cup holder"

Adair climbed into the passenger side of the truck and was immediately welcomed and enveloped by the warmth of the vehicle. The treat in the cup holder pulled at her heartstrings.

Once Forrest was done getting her suitcase in the trunk he got back in on the driver's seat and started the journey back to his house. Throughout the drive Forrest noticed Adair only taking a few sips of her hot chocolate just like she did as a teenager.

Forrest didn't want her to be uncomfortable and he knew that she was trying to put up a brave front; but he needed her know she could be as vulnerable with him as she was when she was sixteen. Just because she was an adult now didn't mean she had to be strong all the time.

"I'm sorry to hear about your father Adair" he said breaking the silence "are you okay?"

"I'm fine" she said despite a lone tear falling down her face "I um....well I....I knew he was sick the last time I saw him was Thanksgiving because I couldn't make it home for Christmas....I should have been there"

"Hey" Forrest said gently "it's not your fault. I can see you're still very apologetic for somebody who's a professional athlete now"

"It's true though," Adair said modestly "if it weren't for Pop I wouldn't have made it"

"Your father wouldn't have wanted you to feel guilty about his death"

"I know"

There was silence again and the only sound between them was the snow outside, the soft jazz, and the truck's engine.

Adair stole some glances over at Forrest and found herself just a little bit giddy. Forrest was thirty-three now and if she thought he was handsome ten years ago; he now an even more attractive. Like Willow said the other day at least at twenty-six she was legal now but she was still willing to bet that Forrest still saw her as his little sister's friend.

"Forrest"

"Yeah?"

"I....well....you um...."

Forrest chuckled at Adair's modesty. It was still adorable to see her get flustered but it was hard to believe that this was now the same woman who tore up the basketball court. She certainly wasn't shy about her sportsmanship.

"Use your words Adair" Forrest teased her "it's okay"

"You didn't have to come out to get me" Adair said "I would have just stayed the night and called for my aunt in the morning"

"Do you think your aunt would have felt comfortable with that?"

"I wasn't planning on telling her"

"Adair I didn't mind picking you up" he said sincerely "I wasn't going to have you spend the night at the airport"

"I would have been fine"

"You're not dressed for the winter California girl" he chuckled "you sure about that?"

Adair couldn't help but laugh too

"I've only been in California for three years"

"And you've blossomed to the woman you are today"

When Forrest said that Adair suddenly felt sixteen all over again; he always knew what to say to make her feel better even if he didn't feel the same way.

"You got a boyfriend out in Los Angles I should know about?"

"No" she smirked bringing the hot chocolate to her lips for another sip "I don't really have time for dating at least not now"

"So you live by yourself?"

"Yes" she admitted "but I'm fine"

"Maybe you should move back here then" Forrest said "I'm sure there's a team on the East Coast you could play for"

"I like the West Coast"

"Oh I can tell by the way you're glowing" he replied, "I just don't like the idea of you being out there by yourself"

"Like you said I'll be flying out more often with Willow planning her wedding"

"You thinking about getting married one day?"

"Not really" Adair admitted, "most of the men I've met feel intimated by my career"

"Those aren't real men and they need to get their shit together"

"Are you thinking about getting married?"

"Haven't met the right woman yet," he said "you know what I mean?"

"How?" Adair asked genuinely "you're established, own your own property, and you're hand---you're good looking"

"There's nothing wrong with the word handsome Adair" he laughed

"Yeah well....I....I don't want to make it seem like I was thinking about it"

"You said that faster than the time you ran out of the bathroom when you walked in on me getting out the shower"

"Forrest..."

"I'm just teasing you Adair" he said sincerely "the truth is I really haven't met the right woman because I want more than just a physical relationship; marriage is more that just sex"

Adair wasn't sure if she wanted Forrest to mention the words sex and relationship again in the same sentence; but she kept a straight face.

"That's understandable" Adair replied, "I'm sure you'll meet her one day"

Forrest gave Adair a quick glance before returning his attention back to the road

"Perhaps"

They were silent again but much to Adair's embarrassment the sound of her stomach rumbling echoed through out the car.

"You hungry?"

"I'm fine"

"You want to get something to eat?"

"It's two in the morning"

"You know IHOP is 24/7"

"Aren't you tired?"

"I'll sleep better knowing you have something in your stomach" he said making a turn "we both will besides at this hour it's not crowded; get you some fresh hot chocolate it's a win all around"

"Okay"

 

"That was good huh?"

"Yes" Adair said taking her last bite of strawberry french toast "I guess I was hungry"

"I guess you were"

Forrest sat across from Adair watching her lick a little bit of the strawberry syrup off of her lip. Given how long her flight was he wasn't surprised that she had been hungry so how the hell was she going to last the night at the airport? Even he still had some steak and eggs left over while her plate was clean.

Just like Forrest predicted they were only ones at the pancake diner, which made for more intimate setting. Even if it was just greasy breakfast food.

"When is your game?"

"Tomorrow night" Adair replied, "I'm probably going to sleep most of the day"

"Your father's funeral?"

"Friday"

"You want me to come with you?"

Adair was about to look back down at her plate when Forrest reached across the table to take her hand in his.

"Forrest"

"That's my name" he joked, "look at me Adair"

Adair looked up into the gentle green eyes she knew all too well

"Do you want me to come with you?" he asked her again

"If you want to" Adair said not really answering his question "I know how much you liked my father so you're welcomed to come; I think Willow insisted on it"

"I did like Walter" Forrest admitted "but I want to know if you want me there"

"Well....it would make me feel better....Willow said she's coming too"

Forrest chuckled

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing it's just with my sister getting married soon I don't think you'll be able to use her as a shield against me much longer" he said "you're going to have to face me head on Adair you're a woman now"

Adair bit her lower lip in embarrassment

"Can I get you two anything else?" the waitress asked

"Just the check and a box for this" Forrest said referring to his leftovers "I think my friend here will be hungry again in a few hours"

"Coming right up" the waitress, replied "you two be safe out in the snow"

"Those are your steak and eggs Forrest" Adair said, "you don't have to---"

"And now their yours" he insisted "you've been out in California by yourself too long Adair I don't think you know how to accept favors"

Adair tried to fight back a yawn but was unsuccessful

"Tired?"

"Yes"

"You're going to have to accept my bed tonight too"

"Huh?"

"I'm going to be sleeping on the couch" Forrest said, "what were you thinking?"

"Nothing"

"Yeah I bet"

It was certainly going to be an interesting arrangement.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.