Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it's been a while, but I'm a second semester senior trying to not freak out about entering the real world in 40 days. Here's the next chapter, hope you like it.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


It had been over a week since Dani talked to Luke about taking the lead in his life and making things happen. She sat on her living room floor with her back against the couch and her legs stretched under the coffee table. As she watched her son bang a plastic toy on the floor, she smiled. She loved her life. Her husband was a kind man who put up with her somewhat neurotic plans. Her son made her laugh every time he discovered something new. And Luke, her best friend, was always there when she needed him. It’s time for me to do something in return. Dani thought to herself as she looked at the laptop screen in front of her.  

 

AJ

While watching her son, Dani was attempting to pull together some files for work. But she kept getting distracted by Luke’s situation. She had thought about it and knew there was no way he would be able to get in contact with Cassie without her help, he had never mentioned exchanging contact information with Cassie.

Dani drummed her fingers on the table as she continued to think. She was so lost in her thoughts she did not hear the key go into the lock or the door open. She did, however, notice her son get very excited and clap his hands as he looked at the door.

Dani turned her head and smiled at Alex. “Hey you. What are you doing home so early?”

Alex smiled, walked over to Dani and sat next to her. AJ crawled over to his parents and climbed onto his father’s lap. Alex kissed the little boy’s forehead. “Well, I’ve finalized the newest items for the menu.”

“Oh really?” Dani asked.

“Yeah, I was thinking we should have a little get together at the restaurant with some friends. We can have them try out the dishes and tell us what they think.”

Dani smiled wickedly as a plan began to form in her head. “So how little is little?”

Alex stopped playing with his son and turned to look at his wife. “I know that look Dani,” Alex said.

“I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you should just answer the question.”

“Dani, just tell me what you’re thinking.”

“I’m thinking maybe we could pull together  some of our friends, and maybe a few of my colleagues and have a tasting party. What do you think?”

“On the surface it sounds good...” Alex said skeptically. “But I know you. And you have a plan don’t you.”

“I can neither confirm nor deny that fact. Let me make a few calls and see what I can pull together.”

“You should probably call the restaurant first and find out if there is an open date to do this kind of thing.” Alex suggested standing up and carrying AJ with him.

“Yeah I guess I should do that before I start inviting people.” Dani said absentmindedly as she scrolled through her contact list on the laptop.

Alex shook his head. “I’m going to go get AJ ready for bed.”

“Okay, call me back there when you put him down. You know I like to sing to him before he falls asleep.” Dani said.

“I know, I know.”

While Alex ran bath water for AJ, Dani called the restaurant to set a date for the get together. Her original plan was to have a large number of people come. However, she decided that a smaller more intimate gathering would be better for pushing Luke into action.

Dani picked up the phone and dialed the number of her co-conspirator in hopes of getting her on board with Dani’s latest plan.

Jade had just got off the phone with her manager when her personal cell phone began to ring. Looking at the display, she saw Dani was calling. Over the past week the two women had become close friends talking everyday on the phone trying to figure out how to help their respective best friends.

“You’ve got Jade.” She said after answering the phone.

“Hi Jade. I have a plan.”

“You do?”

“Yes. Luke doesn’t have Cassie’s number. And I refuse to give it to him, that would just be too obvious. So I think I’ve come up with the perfect solution.” Dani said.

“Oh, and what would that be?” Jade asked.

“Alex has finalized some new recipes for the menu. Whenever he does that, we usually hold a small get together at the restaurant and have a few friends try out the dishes and tell us what they think before he officially adds them to the menu.”

“Okay...”

“Without fail, Luke always comes to these tastings. This time around I’m inviting you, Sean and Cassie because we will be working together in the coming months. I was hoping you could convince Cassie to come.” Dani explained.

“That sounds like a decent plan, but how can you be sure that something will happen between the two of them?” Jade asked. She liked the plan. Getting Cassie and Luke together in a room would be good for both of them. But Jade knew Cassie, and she highly doubted the woman would independently take steps to forming a friendship with Luke. And from what Dani had told her about Luke, he was not the type to take action either. He wanted fate to determine where his life would go.

“I talked to Luke, and I think I got through to him. I told him he needs to make something happen. Only he controls where his life will go, not fate.”

“Even if she comes, Cassie won’t easily be swayed by Luke. Knowing her she’ll try to ignore him completely.”

“It’s worth a try though right? We can’t just let our friends behave like idiots now can we?” Dani asked.

Jade laughed, “of course not. I’ll see what I can do, and you should bring it up at the meeting this week. Do you have a date?”

“Yeah. Are you free two weeks from today?”

“If I’m not, I can be. My friend is more important than whatever I have currently planned. I’ll move things around and make the time.” Jade said.

“Great. You work on Cassie and I’ll work on Luke. I’ll talk to you later.” Dani said.

“Right, have a good night Dani.”

“Thanks, you too.” With her final comments said, Dani hung up the phone.

Dani could no longer hear splashing coming from the back, so she got up to investigte. Entering her son’s room, she saw her husband putting him down in his crib.

“I was just about to come get you.” Alex said. “Did you get everything sorted out?”

“Yeah two weeks from today your friends will be tasting the newest items for your menu.”

“Uhuh, and how did your conspiring go?” Alex asked.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Dani said feigning innocence and trying not to laugh.

Alex smiled as he recognized the mischievous glint in her eye. He shook his head. “Right. How about you sing our son to sleep instead of trying to lie to me about your nefarious plans.”

“My plans are not nefarious.” Dani pouted.

Alex laughed. “Right.” He bent down and kissed his son’s forehead before leaving the room.

Dani watched her husband exit the room and shook her head as well before turning her attention to the little guy laying down staring up at her with big brown eyes. She smiled and began to hum a lullaby.