Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


March, 2008

Jack needed coffee bad. He’d gotten little sleep the previous night, tossing and turning thinking about everything and anything that could go wrong with his and Sharon’s magazine. He knew it should be a success. It had all the makings of a fantastic investment. But he’d been around too long not to know all the risks involved in starting something from scratch. He could be humiliated again for the umpteenth time. It happened so often lately he wondered if anyone would even notice if he failed again. It was a sobering thought.

He walked into the coffee house and paused at the sight of Drucilla Winters standing at the counter. His lack of sleep had thrown him off and he was unable to stop the direction of his thoughts at the sight of her curvaceous figure encased in the latest designer suit she’d picked up at Fenmore’s. She tapped manicured nails on the counter and tossed back her shoulder length fall of smooth black hair.

He couldn't count the number of times he's watched her like this. No one knew. No one ever would. Drucilla belonged to Neil. As far as anyone else knew she always had.

He pushed the thought from his mind and took a step forward. He’d become an expert at controlling his feelings about Dru a long time ago. He wasn’t a rutting teenager after all. But sometimes, when he was tired, or when she wore something that reminded him of the promise of everything underneath those tight little suits she favored, he would slip. In those moments, all she had to do was look in his eyes and she would see how much he still wanted her. How much he always had.

“Kevin, today!” she yelled. “I’m late for work.”

Jack fixed his face into his arrogant smirk and approached her smoothly, laying his folded copy of The Wall Street Journal on the counter beside her. “Dru.” He said, as a greeting.

“Jack,” she said, glancing at him quickly and then away again.

Her disinterest infuriated him. He wasn’t used to being dismissed by women and the way she always treated him as though he were just another fan looking for an autograph made him want to throw her over his shoulder and fuck her till she screamed.

Till she would finally really see him.

“Here’s your coffee Drucilla. Sorry it took so long, machine’s messed up.”

“It’s fine, I’m just late for a meeting. Jack.” She nodded at him and grabbed her coat. Her scent made him dizzy as she walked by and Jack’s hands balled into fists at his side.

“You want something Jack?” He turned at Kevin’s question, greeted with a hostile stare. He shook his head and backed away from the counter, desperate to escape the lingering smell of her perfume.

“No. I uh…changed my mind.”

He fled the coffee house, unable to stop the rush of memories that came flooding back as he watched her car speed from the parking lot. 

 

July, 1990

Jack walked out to the pool, his towel tossed over his arm. Dark sunglasses covered his eyes and he smiled at the smell of grilled steaks that permeated the air. He noticed a slim, dark figure underneath the water, and stepped closer, his heart pounding in anticipation.

She’s too young for you.

“Oh you scared me!” She had emerged from the water blind, her hair slicked back and water glistening on her mocha colored skin. Jack knelt down, giving his best “smiling Jack” grin.”

“That’s not the first time I’ve heard that. Need a towel?”

She lifted herself from the pool and Jack mentally groaned at the sight of her two piece plastered wetly to her body. He knew she was young and probably still insecure about her beauty. Jack didn’t dare attempt to help her along. His brand of help wouldn’t be appreciated by Aunt Mamie.

But still…


“You know, you Abbotts do the Fourth of July like nobody else I seen. All that food in there, you’d think the whole town was coming to eat.”

Jack laughed. “Are you trying to say we’re wasteful Dru.”

She gave him a look and shook her head. “I ain’t tryin’ to say anything. I’m sayin’ it.”

“Well then what would you suggest? We give it all away?

Dru laughed and threw the now damp towel back into his arms. “You still thinkin’ like rich folks. Don’t buy as much man.”

She sat down in a deck chair and grabbed a large hat and plopped it on her head. Jack took his seat beside her and raised an eyebrow, looking at its brightly colored brim.

“That’s a new look.”

“Something I’m tryin’. I’m finding my new style for the new Dru.”

“Well it’s definitely different. But honestly, I was kind of fond of the old Dru.”

She smiled, her face relaxing into an almost childlike delight that made him yearn to pull her into his arms. He didn’t want her to change. He wanted to always be this way. She was so open and unpretentious. He found himself seeking her out just to be around someone who made him feel alive again. And she was so very much alive.

“Mamie said you were a ladies man,” she said.

Jack’s eyes widened slightly in surprise. “She did, did she? Why would she say something like that?”

“We were talkin’ one day.”

“About me?”

Drucilla looked away, suddenly very interested in a hangnail on her index finger. Jack grabbed the finger playfully forcing her to look in his direction. His voice softened considerably as he repeated his question.

“About me?”

Dru’s eyes dropped to his mouth and she bit her own unconsciously. Jack’s stiffened immediately and he shifted in his chair to hide his growing erection. He didn’t know if she was aware of the affect she was having on him but he wasn’t about to lose her with his inability to control his own body.

Lose her? The thought that he considered this girl his unnerved him. What the hell was going on?

“We just…I asked why you weren’t married. I thought all you rich white boys were married. She told me you like to play around. Said I should watch out for you.”

Jack looked away, slightly embarrassed at how true the statement was. He didn’t want her to see him that way.

“I’m not going to lie, I’ve…dated a few women. Hell, more than a few. A lot.”

She nodded, her arms covering her stomach in a slightly protective gesture. “It’s cool Jack. I get it. You’re a handsome man and I’m sure these women throw themselves at you all the time. Being rich don’t hurt either, huh?”

“You think I’m handsome?” He had focused on the compliment, a first from her. She rolled her eyes at his obvious fishing.

“Come on man, you got a mirror. Now I know you’re just messin’ with me.” She stood to her feet and he grabbed her wrist, stopping her from walking away.

“Drucilla wait.” He said, his voice slightly raised. She paused and looked at him curiously.

“What?”

He didn’t know what to say. All he knew is that their conversation was the most revealing they’d ever had and he didn’t want it to end. He wanted to keep talking so he could find out more about her. About how she felt about him.

“I’m…where are you going? The food’s almost ready.”

“I know. I was going to help Mamie in the kitchen. Is that okay?”

Jack released her embarrassed. He scrambled for a reason to keep her there, or to be somewhere where they could talk more. There lives were so different, it was hard to think of a reason.

“How’s the job going at Jabot?”

Dru tensed and he cursed himself for bringing up the sensitive subject. “It’s not. I got no experience and I…well I mess up a lot.”

“Why haven’t you told me? I started in the mailroom myself. I could give you some pointers.”

“Mamie doesn’t want me moochin’ off ya’ll more that I already am, and I agree.”

“That’s crazy, what are you doing later this evening?”

She paused. Jack waited, unwilling to acknowledge he was holding his breath waiting for her answer. When her eyes shifted to the clear blue water, Jack sprang into action, ignoring the voice in the back of his head telling him to let it go.

“Look, I really want you to do well at the company and so does Dad. Let me sit down with you and we’ll figure out how to make things go easier for you. Meet me in Dad’s office upstairs after dinner?”

Dru was silent and he waited anxiously. “Okay, but…don’t tell Mamie. She’ll get on to me about you helpin’ me.”

“My lips are sealed,” he laughed.

“See you then,” she said, walking towards the kitchen. He watched the curves of her backside and thighs sway back and forth and he ran a shaky hand through his thick hair.

“Jack what the hell are you doing,” he mumbled.